PDA

View Full Version : KC Chiefs -Q&A S SAMMY KNIGHT & DERRICK JOHNSON

C-Mac
05-17-2005, 05:09 PM
Q&A S SAMMY KNIGHT
May 17, 2005, 3:37:33 PM

Q: Sammy talk about your first OTA with the Chiefs?

KNIGHT: “I’m just really excited to be out here. Getting to know all the guys and getting a feel for the system and how we play it. The overall communication standpoint is big.”

Q: Is the communication the biggest key?

KNIGHT: “I think so. It is not just one guy, it’s all 11. You all just have to be on the same page and that is what are aim is in this camp”

Q: Have you had a chance to sit down and talk to Greg Wesley?

KNIGHT: “Yeah we have talked at times, but we have never really talked about the situation. We are football players and we just go out there and play, that’s our job to do. I know that we are both great players and we just have to go out there and play. That is all we can do.”

Q: How tough will that transition be for one of the two of you?

KNIGHT: “I don’t know. I am sure it will be tough for either one of us. I think it will be real tough. We are accustomed to playing all the time, but hopefully we can put in some sets that will put both of us on the field at the same time.”

Q: Some people have said in the past that strong safety and free safety are not that different. It is never that simple is it?

KNIGHT: “It really depends on the kind of scheme you are in. A lot of schemes it isn’t, this one it is a little different. Yet at the same time there are some similarities. It really just depends on the scheme.”

Q: How important is the chemistry you guys will development over the next month?

KNIGHT: “It is very important. It sets the groundwork for the whole season. It gives us a jump up on the season and when we get to camp we will be firing bullets. We are working on technique right now, but more importantly we are working on getting on the same page.”

Q: The last couple of years the problem with the Chiefs defense has been the amount of talent. How do you see the talent level on this defense?

KNIGHT: “I think they have always had talent. I think they have talent this year, it is just a matter of playing together and injuries have hurt them as well. I think the injuries and have younger players in there. There are a lot of different reasons. They were 13-3 a few years ago and they played pretty well. I just think it was the injuries.”

Q: Is it close to the defenses you were with in Miami talent wise?

KNIGHT: “Yeah talent wise we are close, very close. I think the main difference is the experience and just playing together and learning how to play off one another.”

Q: Does it help too that that CB Patrick Surtain will be playing in the defensive backfield with you? Is it advantageous that two former Dolphins will be playing in the same backfield?

KNIGHT: “It’s advantageous playing with Pat (Surtain) because of the simple fact that we have some of the same coverages and early on we may not know the new terminology and we may use some of the old terminology, but we will be on the same page. I will be able to look at him and we will know what each other is thinking. From that standpoint it’s advantageous, but as we move on I think we will pick it up.”

C-Mac
05-17-2005, 05:12 PM
Well.....I first look for a Chiefs marker and then must have refreshed while a post was going up...... because I didnt see it!
Sorry team!

beer bacon
05-17-2005, 05:13 PM
Well.....I first look for a Chiefs marker and then must have refreshed while a post was going up...... because I didnt see it!
Sorry team!

You're cut!

C-Mac
05-17-2005, 05:19 PM
You're cut!

I really wish everyone would get in the habit of using the Chiefs marker for Chiefs news, I know it would cut down on reposts......for me anyway.

DenverChief
05-17-2005, 05:27 PM
I really wish everyone would get in the habit of using the Chiefs marker for Chiefs news, I know it would cut down on reposts......for me anyway.

I really wish everyone would get in the habit of reading the front page (or using the search function) before posting first ;)

C-Mac
05-17-2005, 05:41 PM
I really wish everyone would get in the habit of reading the front page (or using the search function) before posting first ;)

As soon as you find a Sammy Knights interview thread, let me know.

Count Alex's Losses
05-17-2005, 05:44 PM
As soon as you find a Sammy Knights interview thread, let me know.

Yeah, I think I'll add it to my thread. :D

C-Mac
05-17-2005, 05:48 PM
Yeah, I think I'll add it to my thread. :D

Look, I aint on no ego trip.
It's not my article, do what you want with it.