PDA

View Full Version : Teicher: Morton told to stay away

tk13
05-18-2005, 01:06 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/11673037.htm

Morton told to stay away

By ADAM TEICHER

Kansas City Star

Wide receiver Johnnie Morton was one of only a handful of Chiefs starters absent from the first day of offseason practice Tuesday.

Morton’s absence was different because it was at the request of the team. He was excused from all the spring practices, indicating the Chiefs are serious in their intentions to release Morton in June if he doesn’t accept a restructured contract.

President/general manager Carl Peterson and coach Dick Vermeil wouldn’t elaborate on Morton’s situation, but Peterson said, “Ask me about it on the second of June.”

Morton wasn’t available to speak on the situation, and his agent, David Dunn, didn’t return a phone message.

A source familiar with the situation said the Chiefs asked Morton for the second straight year to renegotiate his contract to a lower salary. Like last year, Morton has refused.

The Chiefs may eventually invite Morton back, but only at a salary lower than his current $3 million. The notice to stay clear of practice was intended as a message to Morton that he will be released if he continues to refuse the pay cut.

The Chiefs have been considering releasing Morton in June for some time, but the latest move marks an abrupt switch of strategy. As of late last week, they were expecting Morton to participate in Tuesday’s practice. They also planned to look at some of their younger receivers before making a decision on Morton.

One of those younger receivers, Samie Parker, took Morton’s place in the starting lineup and had a standout practice. Another, rookie Craphonzo Thorpe, struggled by dropping several passes.

“They probably figure we’re all ready to play,” Parker said. “We have a lot of guys capable of making plays, including myself. If we all produce like we’re capable of, there’s no telling what kind of receiving corps we can have this year.”

Parker played little as a rookie last year until the season’s final month, but then he played well. Parker, who had nine catches and a touchdown in the last three games, has the most to gain from Morton’s possible departure.

“I thought he was ready to play at the end of last year,” Peterson said. “When he got the opportunity to play, he really showed what he’s capable of doing. I’m a Samie Parker guy. He’ll do very, very well.”

Eddie Kennison is the other starting receiver, and Dante Hall will play out of the slot. Thorpe, Marc Boerigter, Chris Horn and Darrell Hill are also competing for jobs. Neither Boerigter nor Horn is practicing. They are recovering from knee surgeries.

“If that’s what this is, I guess you could look at it as a vote of confidence for all the other receivers, but it’s all up in the air,” Boerigter said. “We’ve got June 1 coming up, and somebody might become available.”

Peterson obviously believes the Chiefs can survive at wide receiver without the 33-year-old Morton.

“When we get to camp and get the pads on, then I’ll really be able to see what this football team looks like,” Peterson said. “But at this point, I’m comfortable with where we are at wide receiver.”

The Chiefs had one veteran wide receiver, Baltimore’s Kevin Johnson, in for a free-agent visit before the draft, but he signed instead with Detroit. They have yet to make a move for Freddie Mitchell, recently released by Philadelphia.

“We’ve discussed him, but we’re not interested at this point,” Peterson said.

The Chiefs would save more than Morton’s scheduled $3 million salary by waiting until June to release him.

They would also save an additional $2.4 million against their salary cap, and his total cost for this season would be about $786,000.

Morton never became the big production receiver the Chiefs envisioned when they signed him from the Lions as a free agent in 2002. Morton had more than 1,000 yards in four of his last five seasons in Detroit but didn’t come close to that in either of his first two years with the Chiefs.

His best season with the Chiefs was the last one, when he caught 55 passes for 795 yards despite missing the last three games because of a knee injury.

“It’s kind of surprising because he was having a great year before he got hurt,” Boerigter said. “He was on pace for 1,000 yards.”

ZootedGranny
05-18-2005, 01:21 AM
President/general manager Carl Peterson and coach Dick Vermeil wouldn’t elaborate on Morton’s situation, but Peterson said, “Ask me about it on the second of June.”

CERTIFIED GANGSTA.

The Chiefs had one veteran wide receiver, Baltimore’s Kevin Johnson, in for a free-agent visit before the draft, but he signed instead with Detroit. They have yet to make a move for Freddie Mitchell, recently released by Philadelphia.

“We’ve discussed him, but we’re not interested at this point,” Peterson said.

Good, let Fred Ex entertain me with his idiocy on someone else's team.

keg in kc
05-18-2005, 01:28 AM
Morton absent from KC's first workout (http://chiefszone.cjonline.com/stories/051805/chi_morton.shtml)

By Rick Dean
The Capital-Journal

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Tuesday's first on-field workout in the Chiefs spring conditioning program included a Who's Who list of players not in attendance.

Three Pro Bowl linemen -- 10-time selections Willie Roaf and Will Shields, plus 2004 first-timer Brian Waters -- were missing. So was perennial Pro Bowl tight end Tony Gonzalez, Pro Bowl running back Priest Holmes, and 2003 Pro Bowl safety Jerome Woods.

But it was the absence of an undecorated player, when coupled with the vague explanation for his status, that created the biggest buzz.

Veteran starting receiver Johnnie Morton, whose status with the team has become tenuous since he refused to renegotiate his contract last year, has been told not to bother showing up for the voluntary team workouts, coach Dick Vermeil said.

Asked if this meant that Morton would be cut after June 1 -- when NFL teams can release players without taking a more extensive hit against their salary cap -- Vermeil declined to answer.

"That is just speculation and I will not talk about that any further," he said shortly.

The continuation of Morton's three-year career in Kansas City may depend on his willingness to redo his contract. Attempts to contact his agent, David Dunn, were unsuccessful.

Kansas City's other missing starters are very much part of the team's plans, however. Roaf has been excused from participation in the on-field practices, Vermeil said, though he continues to lift and run under team supervision. Shields also could end up with a similar exemption, Vermeil said.

Holmes, who missed the final half of the 2004 season with a knee injury that did not require surgery, is expected be in Kansas City possibly as soon as today. Gonzalez is recovering from offseason foot surgery and will not participate in on-field work.

Woods' absence raised eyebrows, however.

With the free agent signing of former Miami strong safety Sammy Knight, Woods and backfield mate Greg Wesley are expected to compete for the free safety spot Woods has played since 1997.

Woods' absence Tuesday fueled speculation that he, like Morton, could be a June 1 cut. But Vermeil said he expected to see Woods working with the team later in the week.

Joining Knight on the field for their first workouts in Kansas City were former Miami corner Patrick Surtain, Pittsburgh linebacker Kendrell Bell, ex-Tennessee defensive end Carlos Hall and the Chiefs' 2005 draft class headed by Texas linebacker Derrick Johnson.

Surtain played with the first unit at left corner while Bell was the right outside linebacker, the spot played by Shawn Barber until he was injured last October. Kawika Mitchell was the first-team middle linebacker with Keyaron Fox playing the left outside spot while Scott Fujita recovers from offseason ankle surgery.

The Chiefs have 14 on-field workouts that are voluntary in nature before conducting a mandatory mini-camp in early June.

NOTES -- Second-year receiver Richard Smith, who played three games with the Chiefs last year, was carted off the field after being injured in a collision with two defensive backs. Vermeil said Smith sustained only a thigh bruise, but it might keep him out of action for at least the next week.

big nasty kcnut
05-18-2005, 01:29 AM
Bye johnnie don't think that this havn't been any fun cause it hasn't.

J Diddy
05-18-2005, 01:31 AM
CERTIFIED GANGSTA.

Good, let Fred Ex entertain me with his idiocy on someone else's team.

yup, he's a stud.

I mean dud.

Poopstain, that's what he is.

DaWolf
05-18-2005, 01:42 AM
A source familiar with the situation said the Chiefs asked Morton for the second straight year to renegotiate his contract to a lower salary. Like last year, Morton has refused.

The Chiefs may eventually invite Morton back, but only at a salary lower than his current $3 million. The notice to stay clear of practice was intended as a message to Morton that he will be released if he continues to refuse the pay cut.

It's funny because while a guy like Terrell Owens gets royally ripped for trying to renegotiate his contract and gets people telling him "well you signed the deal, you better live up to it" the NFL teams get a free pass for doing exactly the reverse to the player, telling them to take a pay cut or be fired, because the team is no longer satisfied with the player's contract.

Not saying I want Morton to stick around or anything, I just find that interesting.

BTW, I think we need to pick up someone at wideout otherwise we might be in trouble. Morton, while not a standout, was a veteran presence who made some tough catches last year. Samie Parker may turn out to be good but I'd like a security blanket, especially if someone gets hurt, which every year it seems like they do. I dunno how well Boerighter is gonna recover...

J Diddy
05-18-2005, 01:44 AM
It's funny because while a guy like Terrell Owens gets royally ripped for trying to renegotiate his contract and gets people telling him "well you signed the deal, you better live up to it" the NFL teams get a free pass for doing exactly the reverse to the player, telling them to take a pay cut or be fired, because the team is no longer satisfied with the player's contract.

Not saying I want Morton to stick around or anything, I just find that interesting.

BTW, I think we need to pick up someone at wideout otherwise we might be in trouble. Morton, while not a standout, was a veteran presence who made some tough catches last year. Samie Parker may turn out to be good but I'd like a security blanket, especially if someone gets hurt, which every year it seems like they do. I dunno how well Boerighter is gonna recover...

Nah, go with youth. It's not like we live and die with our WR.

Wallcrawler
05-18-2005, 01:45 AM
Man, F Johnnie Morton.

He has to be aware that he hasnt performed to the level of a 3 m salary.

This team has made some big moves this year, and if he would just "take one for the team" and redo his contract, perhaps another move could be made to help the team during this offseason.

Screw him.

Cut his ass, clear that money, and go after another player after the June 1 cuts. Morton can easily be replaced from within with the receivers we have. Maybe not one guy in particular, but his 55 catches, 785 yards, and 3 TDs CAN be produced again this season for less than 3 million against the cap.

With the money the Chiefs save by cutting him, they can either replace him, or possibly make another move defensively, and at the very least will have a much easier time getting all of the draft choices under contract.

Screw you Morton, enjoy your retirement, because there aint a team in the league that is going to offer you more than the vet minimum to drop passes and miss practices with phantom injuries.

DaWolf
05-18-2005, 02:00 AM
Nah, go with youth. It's not like we live and die with our WR.

But I think that's why against certain defenses we have problems when we have to rely on Gonzo too much. See the opener last year for example. I just don't like "settling" for a so so recieving group when we should be looking for someone who can at least draw some attention away from Gonzo and make his job easier and thus our offense even better. The defense has obviously got to get better but in the same vein we cannot afford to slip even an inch on offense...

the Talking Can
05-18-2005, 05:49 AM
"The Chiefs would save more than Morton’s scheduled $3 million salary by waiting until June to release him.

They would also save an additional $2.4 million against their salary cap, and his total cost for this season would be about $786,000."

he's gone....

MichaelH
05-18-2005, 05:57 AM
Adios! Don't let the door hit you on your queer ass.

King_Chief_Fan
05-18-2005, 06:30 AM
One of those younger receivers, Samie Parker, took Morton’s place in the starting lineup and had a standout practice. Another, rookie Craphonzo Thorpe, struggled by dropping several passes.

Is it time to start the "crap" hands o thorpe jokes yet?

just kidding,,, it is so very early

ptlyon
05-18-2005, 06:46 AM
He has to be aware that he hasnt performed to the level of a 3 m salary.

Bingo.

keg in kc
05-18-2005, 07:13 AM
Been listening to the radio this morning, both stations mention how great Derrick Johnson looks. Fast, athletic, smart. I'm trying hard to think about the last time I heard that kind of stuff about a first rounder (been here since '99) and I can't come up with anyone. It feels weird.

htismaqe
05-18-2005, 07:19 AM
Been listening to the radio this morning, both stations mention how great Derrick Johnson looks. Fast, athletic, smart. I'm trying hard to think about the last time I heard that kind of stuff about a first rounder (been here since '99) and I can't come up with anyone. It feels weird.

Holthus gushed about DJ too.

Kerberos
05-18-2005, 07:22 AM

89'

Derrick Thomas

Of course he was considered to be a roaming linebacker much like LT.

As I don't want to compare DT to LT ... they were the same type of dominating player that could change the tempo of a game with thier pass rushing style.

But that is the last time I heard them talk about a CHIEFS first round draft pick in that manner! :hmmm:

keg in kc
05-18-2005, 07:24 AM
Holthus gushed about DJ too.
The thing I like about Holthus is that he'll gush about guys like DJ and Surtain and Knight, and you'll think for just a second "yeah, well, you're the organization's mouthpiece" but then he'll balance it out by talking about how important it is for Sims and Mitchell to up their play and that he can't really say how they'll be until later in the year. He may be a Chiefs employee, and he may be positive more often than not, but I think the guy really does call it the way he sees it. He doesn't pull punches.

And so far, everybody has gushed about him, on every show that I've watched. I'm trying hard not to fall into the trap myself, but it's getting hard not to think that we really maybe had a stud land in our lap.

Skip Towne
05-18-2005, 07:26 AM
Smear the queer.

keg in kc
05-18-2005, 07:29 AM
Holthus also basically came just short of saying Woods and Morton are both gone.

Bwana
05-18-2005, 07:33 AM
Ba-Bye Johnnie.

Otter
05-18-2005, 07:43 AM

That is an interesting point. The only thing I'd like to add one way or the other is that Owens had one good season and now expects to be the best paid at his position. Morton had three season to live up to the expectations he was paid to fulfill.

I agree. It's even wierder being to actually feel good about the teams actions. I'm so used to having smoke blown up my ass by the Chiefs for this and that I've come to expect it from them and never expcected them to step up.

Wonder what lit a fire under thier ass this year?

I'm actually ready to buy some gear and attend some games again.

Chiefnj
05-18-2005, 07:47 AM
I still think the Chiefs are taking a big gamble if they release Morton.

Boe and Horn still can't practice. Another guy got hurt yesterday which leaves Craphonso, Hall and Parker. IMO, Hall is best left returning kicks and punts. I have hope for Parker, but it's a big jump to being a starter.

Bwana
05-18-2005, 07:51 AM
I still think the Chiefs are taking a big gamble if they release Morton.

Boe and Horn still can't practice. Another guy got hurt yesterday which leaves Craphonso, Hall and Parker. IMO, Hall is best left returning kicks and punts. I have hope for Parker, but it's a big jump to being a starter.

I would be very surprised if they don't cut him and then pick up someone else after June 1st.

Chiefnj
05-18-2005, 07:56 AM
I would be very surprised if they don't cut him and then pick up someone else after June 1st.

I don't have a problem with that except for the fact that it has been shown that it takes one year for a receiver to grasp the offense and get in synch with Trent. Morton isn't great, no doubt about it. But he puts up lots of key 3rd down receptions. He was in the top 5 in the league in that stat, if I'm not mistaken.

Chris Meck
05-18-2005, 07:57 AM
Horn runs good routes and catches anything he gets his hands on, which is more than we can say for Morton. I think we can get possession-type production from Horn. Bo is a wildcard, Parker is young, but produced well late in the year and is ascending. Kennison is still fast. Craphonso is likely his understudy. What about Smith? he looked good last preseason. I say cut Morton; we may be able to 'trade' him, so to speak for another June 1st cut that will help the team more.

Chris

Cormac
05-18-2005, 08:14 AM

This is true, but TO is looking for a new contract ONE year after signing for a ~$10m SB. That is what is ridiculous about his situation, IMO. Maybe players should be allowed to restructure, or renew their contract once they have fulfilled 50% of the duration of their current one, or something like that. In other words, TO should have to play at least 3 or 4 years of his 7 (?) year deal before bitching about not earning enough. It kind of works that way for teams. They can't just dump an underachiever within 1-2 years of a big SB because of the salary cap. JMO.

eazyb81
05-18-2005, 08:15 AM
Our offensive productivity relies on a dominating Oline, a great running back(s), and the health of Trent Green and Tony Gonzalez. When we meet all 4 of these priorities, I don't think it really matters who our WRs are. Parker may not have the experience that Morton had, but I believe that he can catch wide-open passes the same way that Morton did.

Screw Morton, we don't need selfish players to hop on for the ride this season. If he doesn't want to be a part of something special, then he can get the f#ck out of KC.

Chiefnj
05-18-2005, 08:23 AM
People forget that the Chiefs offense tends to start off slowly. Even last year in the first 6 games the Chiefs passing game struggled and they weren't able to move the ball in the air late in games when they needed to. Getting rid of Morton makes it even a little more difficult. If the Chiefs start slowly like they did last year I think they miss the playoffs again.

eazyb81
05-18-2005, 08:27 AM
People forget that the Chiefs offense tends to start off slowly. Even last year in the first 6 games the Chiefs passing game struggled and they weren't able to move the ball in the air late in games when they needed to. Getting rid of Morton makes it even a little more difficult. If the Chiefs start slowly like they did last year I think they miss the playoffs again.

I don't think it matters much if the passing game starts out slow as long as the running game starts smoothly. Also, I think our defense will play a lot better than it did last year, so we won't have to score 30 points a game in order to win.

Rain Man
05-18-2005, 08:27 AM
I've got a good feeling about Parker. He looked very smooth out there at the end of last season.

milkman
05-18-2005, 08:37 AM

A big reason for the slow start was the health of recievers in TC and preseason.
And Morton's phantom injury was a very big part of that.

If Trent and the receivers are healthy and working together throughout TC and preseason this year, then I expect the offense will come out stronger.

Lzen
05-18-2005, 08:44 AM

I think a big part of that was because they had a lot of injuries to the WR corps in TC last season. Guys need time to practice to get the offense in sync. Notice that this year they have about 11-12 WRs on the roster. Most are TC fodder.

Bye bye, Johnnie Johnson.

morphius
05-18-2005, 08:44 AM
This is good, Parker is looking good, Freddie Mitchel is a no, and we get to drop a guy who appears to not really want to be here and have a chance to try out some of our youth. We have some nice depth in the RB and FB depth finally, if Kennison, TG, Wilson and of course Green can stay healthy, I don't think it will matter too much who is out on that side.

Lzen
05-18-2005, 08:45 AM
A big reason for the slow start was the health of recievers in TC and preseason.
And Morton's phantom injury was a very big part of that.

If Trent and the receivers are healthy and working together throughout TC and preseason this year, then I expect the offense will come out stronger.

Heh, you beat me to it. This is what I get for not hitting refresh before I post.

Lzen
05-18-2005, 08:47 AM
.....I don't think it really matters who our WRs are....

I wouldn't go that far. Remember 2001? Having good WRs is important in this offense. But I do agree that Sammie Parker should be able to fill in fine. I have high hopes for Sammie. :thumb:

tyton75
05-18-2005, 08:48 AM
This may sound funny.. but I think a big key to the offense this year might just be the emergence (or lack thereof) of Kris Wilson... I'm really excited to see what this kid can do

ck_IN
05-18-2005, 08:57 AM
This is good if for no other reason then it might mean I don't have to look at that idiotic touch down dance of Morton's.

The worm? Pu-leeeze!

TEX
05-18-2005, 08:59 AM
"The Chiefs would save more than Morton’s scheduled $3 million salary by waiting until June to release him.

They would also save an additional $2.4 million against their salary cap, and his total cost for this season would be about $786,000."

he's gone....

I agree, but the rest will count against the cap next year. :hmmm: I'm hoping the goof will renegotiate his deal and remain in KC as it's the best scenario IMO.

eazyb81
05-18-2005, 09:06 AM
This may sound funny.. but I think a big key to the offense this year might just be the emergence (or lack thereof) of Kris Wilson... I'm really excited to see what this kid can do

I completely agree, he should be considered more of a WR then a 2nd string TE.

I am excited to see some of the sets Saunders comes up with using 2 back sets with Priest and LJ and 2 or 3 TE sets with Gonzo, Wilson, and Dunn.

keg in kc
05-18-2005, 09:08 AM
I agree, but the rest will count against the cap next year. No it wouldn't. His salary this year has absolutely nothing to do with how much he'd count against the cap next year. What will count is the remainder of the bonus money he's owed. I'm not sure what that number is, but it doesn't have anything to do with his $3 million salary in '05. Salary is not guaranteed.

milkman
05-18-2005, 09:09 AM

Kris Wilson will add another weapon, but I really believe that the emergence of Parker could/will be the key.

If he can play at the level he showed late last year, and build on that, the Chiefs will have a receiver that has the speed to stretch the field, and the route running and hands to make crucial 3rd down catches.

TEX
05-18-2005, 09:16 AM
No it wouldn't. His salary this year has absolutely nothing to do with how much he'd count against the cap next year. What will count is the remainder of the bonus money he's owed. I'm not sure what that number is, but it doesn't have anything to do with his $3 million salary in '05. Salary is not guaranteed.

Yep, I know. Perhaps I should have been more clear. I was talking about we're still going to take a hit next year. I just hate paying out "dead money." But I suppose in reality it's no worse than overpaying a player who doesn't live up to his contract. I'm just more used that so it doesn't bother me as much.

TEX
05-18-2005, 09:18 AM
Kris Wilson will add another weapon, but I really believe that the emergence of Parker could/will be the key.

If he can play at the level he showed late last year, and build on that, the Chiefs will have a receiver that has the speed to stretch the field, and the route running and hands to make crucial 3rd down catches.

I agree. IMO, Wislon has talent but he was "talked -up" to justify the pick.

morphius
05-18-2005, 09:20 AM

That is the kicker right there. If Parker comes through, then we have someone on the field who is even faster then Kennison and even makes it that much more of a threat. I think it could open a lot of things, the safeties would have to keep an eye on him, Kennison, the running game, the TE's... You can't double them all, and if you sneak up, Parker could already be gone.

Could make for a lot of fun!

HemiEd
05-18-2005, 09:20 AM
I don't have a problem with that except for the fact that it has been shown that it takes one year for a receiver to grasp the offense and get in synch with Trent. Morton isn't great, no doubt about it. But he puts up lots of key 3rd down receptions. He was in the top 5 in the league in that stat, if I'm not mistaken.

I was thinking he led the league in third down receptions. Maybe my alzheimers again, he he. I agree with your take on this.

HemiEd
05-18-2005, 09:29 AM

Me too! :clap:

bricks
05-18-2005, 09:35 AM
If the Chiefs release Morton come June 1st, I never thought I'd be saying this and doing this, but..... :clap: :clap: :clap: Congrats to you CP on the best off-season of your life. You have left many Chiefs fans pleased and looking forward to the 2005 season. Who can argue with the off-season acquistions you've made? Bell, Knight, Surtain, Hall, Johnson, Morton(cut), no to Freddie Mitchell....Outstanding job.

bricks
05-18-2005, 09:38 AM
I've got a good feeling about Parker. He looked very smooth out there at the end of last season.

I agree

milkman
05-18-2005, 09:40 AM
I agree. IMO, Wislon has talent but he was "talked -up" to justify the pick.

I think Wilson brings versatility onto the field.
He could line up at FB, TE, or WR, but in the end he is still either a fast TE or a slow WR.

Parker is a kid with speed.
He's a guy that catch a 5-10 yard slant and take it to the house.
He's a guy that can beat his man deep.

He showed good hands and crisp route running late last season.
He showed he has the potential to be a real playmaker at WR.

Having 2 TEs that can catch the ball is/will be great, but finally having a playmaker at WR can potentially raise the level of our offense above that of Indy's.

IMO, the only thing that separates our O from Indy's is Marvin Harrison.

keg in kc
05-18-2005, 09:57 AM
I think people get too stuck on playmakers and "home runs". Offense in the NFL now is about creating and exploiting mismatches and nobody does it better than we do. And that's exactly what Kris Wilson should help us do even better. That's not to say that Parker won't be a key player, and it's not a statement that Wilson will be "better" in terms of statistics. Hopefully Parker will ultimately produce in a 1000-yard sense. The point I'm making is not to underestimate what Wilson brings. His presence on the field creates problems, problems that may benefit other players (like Parker) in the end. He'll cause defensive shifts and confusion and will allow Gonzalez to focus even more on a role as a "traditional" tight end.

And, again, I'm not making any sort of statement against Parker.

As for what separates us from Indy, well, screw 'em; we led the league in scoring in '02 and '03 and were 2nd last year. We're not hurting in any way. Except for (fingers crossed) age. We may not have the "big name" recognition but we have the same kind of production and we do it in a more balanced way.

milkman
05-18-2005, 10:15 AM
I think people get too stuck on playmakers and "home runs". Offense in the NFL now is about creating and exploiting mismatches and nobody does it better than we do. And that's exactly what Kris Wilson should help us do even better. That's not to say that Parker won't be a key player, and it's not a statement that Wilson will be "better" in terms of statistics. Hopefully Parker will ultimately produce in a 1000-yard sense. The point I'm making is not to underestimate what Wilson brings. His presence on the field creates problems, problems that may benefit other players (like Parker) in the end. He'll cause defensive shifts and confusion and will allow Gonzalez to focus even more on a role as a "traditional" tight end.

And, again, I'm not making any sort of statement against Parker.

As for what separates us from Indy, well, screw 'em; we led the league in scoring in '02 and '03 and were 2nd last year. We're not hurting in any way. Except for (fingers crossed) age. We may not have the "big name" recognition but we have the same kind of production and we do it in a more balanced way.

I both agree and disagree.
Wilson will bring the things onto the field that you discussed.

But I disagree with your view of the "home run" or playmaker.

You get that kind of explosiveness in your O, and it opens up the rest of the field even more.
Those mismatches will be even more exploitable because there's a guy with speed and playmaker ability that safeties have to account for that they've never really had to account for before.

And I couldn't give a rat's ass about big name recognition.
I'm talking about that exposiveness that Indy's offense has that we don't.
Add that explosiveness to our offense, and we'll be a freakin' unstoppable machine.
Run with power, run with finesse.
Time consuming, move the chains, short to intermediate passing game, and explosive passing game.
We'll have it all, and that's real balance.

TRR
05-18-2005, 10:18 AM
Parker has a long way to go before he shows that he can start as a #2 WR in the NFL. I'm not sure Samie Parker has shown the ability to get off the line of scrimmage consistently, etc. Parker will be a good addition to the offense this season, but I'm not sure he is ready for a starters role.

If Morton is released, I am confident Peterson will bring another WR in after June 1st. Although we have some young WR's that could step up, I think the safest thing to do is add a player that has been a #2 WR in the NFL before.

Johnnie Morton is a cancer. He faked an injury last TC because Vermeil said he was in competition for his job with Boe, and then miraculously recovers when Boe gets injured. Then he pretty much quit on the team the last 3 games of the season.

jarjar
05-18-2005, 10:25 AM
What more does Parker have to do? He looked great last year, he looks great in practice, and he has come up big in game situations. Playing WR at the pro level is as much about your confidence as anything and the guy has shown he has the confidence and the ability to be depended on for the big play. I like what I see from him, and I expect big things.

milkman
05-18-2005, 10:31 AM
What more does Parker have to do? He looked great last year, he looks great in practice, and he has come up big in game situations. Playing WR at the pro level is as much about your confidence as anything and the guy has shown he has the confidence and the ability to be depended on for the big play. I like what I see from him, and I expect big things.

I liked what I saw late last year, and I have high hopes, with the empasis on the word "hopes".

But TRR is right, he hasn't been really been tested yet, so he does still have a lot to prove.

TRR
05-18-2005, 10:34 AM

What more does he have to do? Well, he was only active for 4 games last season, caught only 9 passes, and never had a 100 yard game. You expect a guy that played in 4 games last season to jump right in and replace a guy that had 55 catches and 800+ yards last season?

I think Parker has the talent to do it, but he hasn't shown ANYTHING yet.

keg in kc
05-18-2005, 10:46 AM

You get that kind of explosiveness in your O, and it opens up the rest of the field even more.I didn't make my point as well as I could or should. I wasn't trying to devalue playmakers, I agree that the development of Parker can mean a dimension of speed we don't get from Morton, and that's a good thing. What I was trying to do was emphasize the unique value that a player like Wilson can bring. I think sets with he and Gonzalez both on the field will create defensive nightmares, although players like Parker may be the ones who ultimately benefit from it. And Parker, in turn, will also have his own impact. What I'm really trying to say is that I think folks underestimate the potential value of Wilson..I'm talking about that exposiveness that Indy's offense has that we don't.
Add that explosiveness to our offense, and we'll be a freakin' unstoppable machine.
Time consuming, move the chains, short to intermediate passing game, and explosive passing game.
We'll have it all, and that's real balance.That's where we differ. I think we already have it all, without Parker or Wilson. In the end, I'm talking about sweetening the icing on an already high quality cake. I'm not jealous in any way of any other offense in the league, including Indianapolis. We certainly have elements to our offense that they don't, but in the end, we're talking about reaching the same sort of production through different paths. We can change and adjust, but ultimately how much more can the offense realistically do? We might get more production - or explosion - from individuals on the offense, but there won't be more balls available, so we'll be taking away from somewhere else and ultimately the production will remain the same, in both yards and points. We'll just be doing it in a slightly different way.

In other words, we're nitpicking about fine-tuning. Which is fine, because if we don't change or improve the weaker elements of our O, we'll probably lose ground.

ct
05-18-2005, 10:53 AM
What more does he have to do? Well, he was only active for 4 games last season, caught only 9 passes, and never had a 100 yard game. You expect a guy that played in 4 games last season to jump right in and replace a guy that had 55 catches and 800+ yards last season?

I think Parker has the talent to do it, but he hasn't shown ANYTHING yet.

One thing that never changes in the NFL, you'll never know anything until the kid gets a chance to play. I'm willing to cut Morton and give him a chance to start. But I do want a veteran insurance policy to step in if necessary. Troy Brown is out there right now, and he'll come cheap. Smart, crafty, team player, will have no qualms about coming in as a #3 WR.

milkman
05-18-2005, 10:56 AM
One thing that never changes in the NFL, you'll never know anything until the kid gets a chance to play. I'm willing to cut Morton and give him a chance to start. But I do want a veteran insurance policy to step in if necessary. Troy Brown is out there right now, and he'll come cheap. Smart, crafty, team player, will have no qualms about coming in as a #3 WR.

This makes a lot of sense.
I really want to see Parker get a chance, and to excell.

But if for some reason it didn't workout, what better insurance policy than a team player like Brown.

TRR
05-18-2005, 11:00 AM

I agree. I just don't want to see KC put all their eggs in one basket with Parker. Troy Brown is another name as well as Az Hakim (who DV said he would not look at). There will be some WR's floating around after June 1st.

bogie
05-18-2005, 01:03 PM

You get that kind of explosiveness in your O, and it opens up the rest of the field even more.
Those mismatches will be even more exploitable because there's a guy with speed and playmaker ability that safeties have to account for that they've never really had to account for before.

And I couldn't give a rat's ass about big name recognition.
I'm talking about that exposiveness that Indy's offense has that we don't.
We'll have it all, and that's real balance.

All that and a much improved D spells SB to me.

ct
05-18-2005, 01:12 PM
Assuming Morton does get cut in a couple weeks, only 1 scenario would lead me to not support Parker getting a shot as our 2nd starting wideout. His name is Isaac Bruce. I'm not a big fan, but he is still productive, knows the system and coaches, and would instantly upgrade this offense significantly!

tk13
05-18-2005, 01:25 PM
Yep, I know. Perhaps I should have been more clear. I was talking about we're still going to take a hit next year. I just hate paying out "dead money." But I suppose in reality it's no worse than overpaying a player who doesn't live up to his contract. I'm just more used that so it doesn't bother me as much.
Actually, we would be paying more "dead money", but I think we'd actually be saving money against the cap. He'd count something around $2.1 million in dead money against the cap next year, that'd be what's left of his bonus... and I believe his base salary alone next year is supposed to be at or near $3.5 to 4 million. We'd be still be saving a couple million dollars against the cap considering what we would've paid him.

Pitt Gorilla
05-18-2005, 02:18 PM
I don't dislike Morton as much as most, but if we could bring in Bruce as his replacement, we'd appear to be much improved.

TRR
05-18-2005, 02:19 PM
I don't dislike Morton as much as most, but if we could bring in Bruce as his replacement, we'd appear to be much improved.

Then you've never asked Morton for an autograph.

DTLB58
05-18-2005, 03:06 PM

He wouldn't give one anyways. Morton Always walked his bike up at Riverfalls keeping two hands on the handlebars as to say his hands were busy and didn't stop to sign. Completley opposite of the other players and coaches. I think this guy fooled DV in the interviews before we signed him because he is NOT a DV type player.

TRR
05-18-2005, 03:10 PM
He wouldn't give one anyways. Morton Always walked his bike up at Riverfalls keeping two hands on the handlebars as to say his hands were busy and didn't stop to sign. Completley opposite of the other players and coaches. I think this guy fooled DV in the interviews before we signed him because he is NOT a DV type player.

Yeah I tried ONE time at RF to acquire his autograph. He just shot me this dickheadish look, and walked off. That's the last time I stuck up for Morton.

If Morton gets cut, I can easily see him going to SD or Denver.

ct
05-18-2005, 03:18 PM
Yeah I tried ONE time at RF to acquire his autograph. He just shot me this dickheadish look, and walked off. That's the last time I stuck up for Morton.

If Morton gets cut, I can easily see him going to SD or Denver.

Yes I think Denver needs another over-hyped WR who'll drop 3 of 4 passes thrown his way. I'm all for it!

Pitt Gorilla
05-18-2005, 03:23 PM
I was speaking in terms of production; if he caught 120 balls per year, I honestly wouldn't care how many autographs he signs.

TRR
05-18-2005, 03:25 PM
I was speaking in terms of production; if he caught 120 balls per year, I honestly wouldn't care how many autographs he signs.

I knew what you were saying. What I was saying is that the guy is a complete c*ck. He's faked more injuries to get out of games/practice than any other player. Morton was brought in to be a #1 WR. He is barely our #2. Adios....