PDA

View Full Version : Culpepper and Moss having "Buddy Issues"

RedDread
05-18-2005, 05:35 AM
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- Minnesota Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper has one thing to say to former teammate Randy Moss -- friendship is a two-way street.

In a recent interview with Sports Illustrated, Moss said that the close relationship he once shared with Culpepper in Minnesota had deteriorated after Moss was traded to Oakland in the offseason.

"Once you grow to love a person, a breakup is kind of hard," Moss said. "I thought Culpepper was (my friend), but now that everything's happened, it seems to me I lost a friend.

"I used to go over to Daunte's all the time. I'd call him up after practice and ask him what he was doing. He'd say 'You know we are doing it big. Come on over.' I thought I had a friend in Daunte, but obviously I didn't."

Culpepper, in town for the team's developmental camp at Winter Park, was clearly puzzled by the remarks.

"My phone number hasn't changed," Culpepper said, implying that Moss has not contacted him. "If you're my friend, why haven't you talked to me? Know what I'm saying?"

When Moss was traded, there was much speculation that his antics behind the scenes had grown too difficult to compensate even for his immense talent.

But Culpepper refused to say anything derogatory about Moss, refuting reports that Moss hindered Culpepper's ability to lead the team.

Cornerback Brian Williams and safety Corey Chavous were no-shows on the first day of developmental camp because they are not happy with their current contract status.

Vikings coach Mike Tice did not speak to the media Monday, deferring all questions to offensive coordinator Steve Loney.

When asked about the situation, Loney said, "Joe Bugel told me in 1993, in my first pro coaching job, just to focus in on the guys that are there and I think that's the approach you take. You don't worry about contracts, don't worry about money, and don't worry about how seasoned a guy is. Coach the guys that are in the room and I think that goes onto the players. Don't worry about things that you can't control."

Culpepper said he understood why Williams and Chavous were not in camp, but was hopeful they wouldn't miss too much time.

"I wish they were here, but they have their personal issues they have to deal with and I respect that," Culpepper said. "But as a teammate, I want them here and hopefully they can get everything worked out because they're going to help us win."

Culpepper is trying to show that his talent doesn't stop once he steps off the football field.

The affable and gregarious quarterback will make a prime-time television appearance on Tuesday in the season finale of ABC's comedy "The George Lopez Show."

Culpepper plays himself and appears alongside Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb.

In the show, Lopez's daughter dates the No. 1 high school quarterback prospect in the country, who is being wooed by several colleges.

That's where Culpepper comes in. He has two scenes in which he tries to persuade Jason to attend the University of Central Florida, Culpepper's alma mater.

McNabb, of course, is pushing hard for Syracuse.

"It was a lot of fun," Culpepper said while flashing a big smile. "It was good, I had a good time."

Culpepper said he is working with his agent in hopes of landing more roles, whether on television or in the movies.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2062137

Bwana
05-18-2005, 07:40 AM
Moss = Head case. Always has, always will. Perhaps Owens will be his buddy?

Phobia
05-18-2005, 07:54 AM
Maybe Culpepper should just piss in Moss' beer.

Ultra Peanut
05-18-2005, 07:54 AM
"Hey Randy, want this chain? Psyche! Give it back."

Spicy McHaggis
05-18-2005, 10:11 AM
The beginning of this article reminded me of 13 year old girls mad at each other. Grow up Randy, if you can.

Goapics1
05-18-2005, 10:16 AM
"Hey Randy, want this chain? Psyche! Give it back."
"Straight cash, homey."