PDA

View Full Version : Homonowski admits to taking just about EVERYTHING!

Kerberos
05-18-2005, 06:20 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2062507

Romo: If it wasn't on the list, 'I was going to take it'

DENVER -- Bill Romanowski says he stayed one step ahead of the NFL's drug policy during his 16-year career, always taking nutritional supplements that the league had not yet banned.

"As soon as they found out that something could be tested for, I stopped taking it. I didn't want that embarrassment, but I pushed that envelope ethically and morally because if I could take something that would help me perform better and it wasn't on the list, I was going to take it," Romanowski said in an interview published Tuesday in the Rocky Mountain News.

"I had two criteria: Would it hurt me? And would I test positive?"

"In the end, there's been some embarrassment at what I had to deal with," he said.

He said he took supplements because he was "insecure."

From 1988-03, Romanowski played linebacker for the San Francisco 49ers, Philadelphia Eagles, Denver Broncos and Oakland Raiders.

He was in Denver this week to promote his role as a prison guard in "The Longest Yard," an Adam Sandler movie that opens later this month.

Romanowski also is working on a book about his life and assisting in the development of dietary supplements he says can help with concussions, which may have hastened his retirement.

In 2001, Douglas County, Colo., prosecutors dropped charges against Romanowski's wife, Julie, who had faced eight counts of illegally obtaining the diet drug phentermine for her husband. Romanowski had been acquitted on related charges the month before.

Investigators said he took phentermine to enhance his play, while the defense said he took the drug to suppress his appetite before games. The drug is not banned by the NFL.

In November 2003, the NFL notified Romanowski that he tested positive for newly discovered steroid THG, or tetrahydrogestrinone. The Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative has been accused of giving the steroid to athletes to enhance performance.

"It wasn't about illegal. I was doing things that they couldn't test for," Romanowski told the Rocky Mountain News. "At the core, I compromised my integrity to become the best I could be, to perform at the highest level possible.

"That's the learning experience. If you continue to do the things that compromise your integrity then what are you?" he said. "Morally, you get into a bind. What do you want? Is it quality of life? Do you want to feel good? It was a struggle that I had."

Taco John
05-18-2005, 06:23 AM
How is this even news? They'd show this before every Monday Night Football game. The guy eats like 100 pills a day...

Mile High Mania
05-18-2005, 06:24 AM
He's a walking freakshow without a doubt, but he actively changed to something new as soon as the thing he was on was on the "banned list" until the THG thing jumped up and bit him.

At least he has an acting career to fall back on...

MichaelH
05-18-2005, 06:26 AM
I never cared for Romonowski but I can't help but to agree with him about taking performance enhancing supplements. Football is all about being stronger, faster, bigger and quicker. The only way to stay ahead of the next guy and keep your job is to use whatever you can that gives you the edge.

Mile High Mania
05-18-2005, 06:26 AM
Yeah, I remember that episode when they did the "day in the life of Romanowski" and they showed the consumption of pills, sleeping in the oxygen chamber, the crew of a 1/2 dozen personal trainers ... it was wild stuff.

The "news" is (I'm guessing) that he admits to taking something until it was on the banned list. Plus, it's a slow news week and this is anti-Bronco... so, they'll roll with it.

Kerberos
05-18-2005, 06:27 AM
How is this even news? They'd show this before every Monday Night Football game. The guy eats like 100 pills a day...

agreed.... but he never ADMITTED his use of banned substance outright .... EVERYONE knew he did ... but he would never admit to it.

I think its ironic how these athletes use this sh!t for thier whole carreers and THEN decide to clear the water when they are done.

Alzado waited till he was so sick he could hardly be recognized. Then decided to let the cat out of the bag. Homo is just making a statement to get some attention if you ask me!

But hey ... its Just IMO.

Mile High Mania
05-18-2005, 06:27 AM
I never cared for Romonowski but I can't help but to agree with him about taking performance enhancing supplements. Football is all about being stronger, faster, bigger and quicker. The only way to stay ahead of the next guy and keep your job is to use whatever you can that gives you the edge.

I have an issue with guys destroying their bodies with pills, but... if it wasn't on the list at the time he's taking a pill, I don't have an issue. If the pill is on the banned list and he stops taking it, then that's fine. Move to the next one.

Mile High Mania
05-18-2005, 06:31 AM
agreed.... but he never ADMITTED his use of banned substance outright .... EVERYONE knew he did ... but he would never admit to it.

I think its ironic how these athletes use this sh!t for thier whole carreers and THEN decide to clear the water when they are done.

Alzado waited till he was so sick he could hardly be recognized. Then decided to let the cat out of the bag. Homo is just making a statement to get some attention if you ask me!

But hey ... its Just IMO.

Who knows if he was using a "banned substanced" prior to the THG thing in 2003. Sounds like his years of riding the line caught up to him with that one. I think his reluctance to say "yeah I was on THG" was more of a legal thing outside of football. I dunno.

the Talking Can
05-18-2005, 06:33 AM
another roided up piece of shit.....no surprise, no one who watched him knew he could play without inhuman amounts of illegal substances...

Kerberos
05-18-2005, 06:34 AM
I have an issue with guys destroying their bodies with pills, but... if it wasn't on the list at the time he's taking a pill, I don't have an issue. If the pill is on the banned list and he stops taking it, then that's fine. Move to the next one.

Twist it anyway you want it ... the dude knew he was taking steriods and that Steriods are a banned substance. He was just taking one that was beyond the scope of testing .... That doesn't make it any less illegal or Cheating for that matter.

IMO he finally got caught and when you are dealing with ILLEGAL substances it is just a matter of time and the odds are going to catch up with you ... for him the odds just took a little longer ... but the odds will ALWAYS get you sooner or later!

Mile High Mania
05-18-2005, 06:38 AM
True, he walked on that fine line of legal/not legal way too often and it bit him in the ass. I'm not trying to spin it or anything. It's sad that he thought he had to do that to be the best. Maybe he did, but as he put it ... we'll never know.

KCTitus
05-18-2005, 06:39 AM
This thread is only 15 minutes old...Im impressed how quickly the bronco faithful could get on here and dismiss this as soon as they did. Frankly, I must admit shock that this thread hasnt been locked/deleted since it goes against the sanctioned homerism of ChiefsPlanet.

Mile High Mania
05-18-2005, 06:40 AM
True... very true. Damn mods...

Kerberos
05-18-2005, 06:43 AM
This thread is only 15 minutes old...Im impressed how quickly the bronco faithful could get on here and dismiss this as soon as they did. Frankly, I must admit shock that this thread hasnt been locked/deleted since it goes against the sanctioned homerism of ChiefsPlanet.

:doh!:

:homer:

Should have known I was doing something that was not for the greater good of the collective! :banghead:

I guess I should STFU

:D

the Talking Can
05-18-2005, 06:51 AM
It's sad that he thought he had to do that to be the best. Maybe he did, but as he put it ... we'll never know.

what do mean we don't know?

that's a crock of copout...without the drugs he'd just be Mike Mazlowski....

Count Zarth
05-18-2005, 07:21 AM
http://denver.rockymountainnews.com/drew/051805drew.gif

Skip Towne
05-18-2005, 07:39 AM
Hence the term "Cheatin' Donx".

Mile High Mania
05-18-2005, 08:05 AM
Hence the term "Cheatin' Donx".

Dude... they were cheating well before Romo and long after.

Rain Man
05-18-2005, 08:09 AM
Jose Canseconowski. Just admitting stuff now so he can make money off of it.

Rain Man
05-18-2005, 08:09 AM
It's too bad that he's in The Longest Yard. I might've gone to see it, but now I'm going to boycott it.

Cormac
05-18-2005, 08:18 AM
You know this partial asswipe must feel like he has been out of the news too long. So now he's going to spout some shite about taking steroids just for media attention. How is this news? Of all the players in any sport in any era, he's the most certain to have taken steroids. He's always had that droopy-eyed, laid-back persona off the field, and on the field is a hopped-up criminal. Draw your own conclusions. He's probably angling for a job on ESPN now. And they'll probably hire him :rolleyes: Maybe he and Michael Irvin will beat the shit out of each other.

Rain Man
05-18-2005, 08:20 AM
At least there'll be a happy ending, Cormac.

Cormac
05-18-2005, 08:24 AM

Here's hoping :thumb:

Kerberos
05-18-2005, 08:38 AM
You know this partial asswipe must feel like he has been out of the news too long. So now he's going to spout some shite about taking steroids just for media attention. How is this news? Of all the players in any sport in any era, he's the most certain to have taken steroids. He's always had that droopy-eyed, laid-back persona off the field, and on the field is a hopped-up criminal. Draw your own conclusions. He's probably angling for a job on ESPN now. And they'll probably hire him :rolleyes: Maybe he and Michael Irvin will beat the shit out of each other.

:LOL:

:LOL:

Here's hoping :thumb:

ROFL :LOL:

You guys are killing me ... but I can visualize it on Monday night Football on ESPN Pregame:

I can see it now .... Micheal Irvin trying to talk about something and Romo talking shit that Irvin can't even talk right for anyone to understand and it starts a fight.

:D

Frazod
05-18-2005, 09:09 AM
Well, so much for going to see The Longest Yard.

BIG_DADDY
05-18-2005, 09:22 AM
Romanowski was a warrior, a guy I loved to hate.

BIG_DADDY
05-18-2005, 09:25 AM
"As soon as they found out that something could be tested for, I stopped taking it. I didn't want that embarrassment, but I pushed that envelope ethically and morally because if I could take something that would help me perform better and it wasn't on the list, I was going to take it," Romanowski said in an interview published Tuesday in the Rocky Mountain News.

."

Gotta love the brutal honesty as well. Guy wanted to perform. Anyone that thinks that almost all the players in professional sports aren't looking for a competetive advantage is only fooling themself.

HemiEd
05-18-2005, 09:38 AM
Romanowski was a warrior, a guy I loved to hate.

He sure fit the bill, bastard! :cuss: