PDA

View Full Version : Orlando/Daytona Beach vacation advise needed

BigRedChief
05-18-2005, 08:32 AM
Okay I'm going to do the Orlando thing with my 13 year old son and my wife for 17 days.

6 days at Disney
6 days in Orlando
2-3 days at Daytona Beach
1-2 days at Tamps/St.Petersburg

So far I've got
1-2 days at Sea World
2-3 days at Universal Studios/Island of Adventure
1 day of deep sea fishing
6 days at Disney stuff

What am I missing? What tips can you give? What worked out well for your family? Any hard learned lessons to pass along?

Phobia
05-18-2005, 08:34 AM
17 days? Good Lord - are you trying to establish Florida residency?

BigRedChief
05-18-2005, 08:42 AM
17 days? Good Lord - are you trying to establish Florida residency?

2 weeks vacation plus a holiday plus 4 weekend days = 17 days. A lot to do. Fishing, roller coasters, beaches etc

cookster50
05-18-2005, 08:46 AM
I went with the wife to the Sea World in San Antonio, I don't know if it is comparable to the one you are going to, but there was just enough things to do for 1 day. 2 might be overkill.

cookster50
05-18-2005, 08:46 AM
What am I missing?

Don't forget to topless beaches.

What am I missing? Any hard learned lessons to pass along?

See above.

BigRedChief
05-18-2005, 08:49 AM
I went with the wife to the Sea World in San Antonio, I don't know if it is comparable to the one you are going to, but there was just enough things to do for 1 day. 2 might be overkill.

Spent 7 days in San Antonio 2 years ago. Went to Sea World 4 times to pet the frigging Dolphins. My son and wife were nuts about it. twice we just petted the Dolphins and left but jeeeezzz

Now Schlitterbahn was the bomb. Best waterpark ever!

Ultra Peanut
05-18-2005, 08:51 AM
Weird. I actually said "Schlitterbahn" yesterday morning. I just like saying "Schlitterbahn."

Phobia
05-18-2005, 08:53 AM
Spent 7 days in San Antonio 2 years ago. Went to Sea World 4 times to pet the frigging Dolphins. My son and wife were nuts about it. twice we just petted the Dolphins and left but jeeeezzz

Now Schlitterbahn was the bomb. Best waterpark ever!

In that case, you need to find a "Swim with the dolphins" attraction. Did that with the wife once in Mexico. She enjoyed it.

Schlitterbahn is very cool. My kids love that place.

cookster50
05-18-2005, 08:54 AM

That must have been pricey. We did the "swim with belugas", interesting, but not worth the $100 each or whatever it cost. Things we guys do to keep our women happy.......

Saulbadguy
05-18-2005, 09:10 AM
I'm going to Orlando in a few days. I dunno what all we are doing. I'm just along for the ride.

Rain Man
05-18-2005, 09:13 AM
You should go see NASA. It's not far away. (One to two hours if I remember right, and you can tie it in with a beach visit.)

BigRedChief
05-18-2005, 09:38 AM
I'm going to Orlando in a few days. I dunno what all we are doing. I'm just along for the ride.

I expect a full report on my desk when you return. :p

Mosbonian
05-18-2005, 09:48 AM
Okay I'm going to do the Orlando thing with my 13 year old son and my wife for 17 days.

6 days at Disney
6 days in Orlando

So far I've got
1-2 days at Sea World
6 days at Disney stuff

What am I missing? What tips can you give? What worked out well for your family? Any hard learned lessons to pass along?

I am the resident Disney expert......a few questions before handing out any tips:

1) Are you staying "on property" or "off property"...meaning are you staying at a Disney-owned hotel or one nearby?

2) Have you purchased your park passes yet?

mmaddog

Ultra Peanut
05-18-2005, 09:54 AM
I am the resident Disney expert......a few questions before handing out any tips:

1) Are you staying "on property" or "off property"...meaning are you staying at a Disney-owned hotel or one nearby?

mmaddog
*******Running up to Goofy and stealing his head does not make you an "expert."

dtebbe
05-18-2005, 09:57 AM
At Daytona Beach I highly reccomend the Bahama House hotel. Right on the beach, very nice and priced well.

In Orlando if you stay "off property" I would suggest the Liki Tiki Village. We rented there from Condo Express (http://www.condoexpress.com/Liki_Tiki_Village.htm) . Liki Tiki was almost a destination within itself, especially if you have kids 12 or under, and it's right down the road from the Disney East Gate.

DT

Rain Man
05-18-2005, 09:57 AM
Running up to Goofy and stealing his head does not make you an "expert."

What does it make you?

Ultra Peanut
05-18-2005, 10:00 AM
What does it make you?Banned from the park for life.

Mosbonian
05-18-2005, 10:03 AM
Running up to Goofy and stealing his head does not make you an "expert."

That was never proven in a court of law.....

mmaddog

BigRedChief
05-18-2005, 10:05 AM

mmaddog

Staying on property. Gonna pay 100 bucks a night instead of 50 bucks a night to stay in kissimmee so that we can get the extra hours for guests only and easy transportation in and out.

No we havent bought tickets yet. About the same price for the hotel and passes through expedia or the official Walt Disney site.

Going to do the same with Sea World and Universal. Stay nearby and pay the extra bucks so as not to fight traffic and make the vacation smoother.

Donger
05-18-2005, 10:06 AM
Depending on when you're going, you might be able to see STS-114.

BigRedChief
05-18-2005, 10:07 AM
At Daytona Beach I highly reccomend the Bahama House hotel. Right on the beach, very nice and priced well.

DT
Thinking of staying here in Daytona Beach. 65 bucks a night on the beach.
http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/propertyMain.do?group=false&propertyCode=10252&disablenav (http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/propertyMain.do?group=false&propertyCode=10252&disablenav)=

Rain Man
05-18-2005, 10:08 AM
Banned from the park for life.

And the worst part about it is that when your picture is in the paper being led out in handcuffs, you'll see that bearcat was standing behind you waving.

Ultra Peanut
05-18-2005, 10:10 AM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Rain Man again.Damnit.

That was super maximum top-notch, though.

svuba
05-18-2005, 10:15 AM

6 days at Disney
6 days in Orlando

So far I've got
1-2 days at Sea World
6 days at Disney stuff

I just got back from 10 days in Tampa/ St Pete Yesterday. The Beaches in Clearwater & Maidera Beach are amazing. If I were you I would spend more time on the beach & less time in the theme parks.

We stayed in the Clearwater beach/ Sand Key area near Tampa... the beaches there are calm and clean with perfect clear water. They are great for kids, and ranked #1 in the nation in some surveys. Shopping for the wife, Jet skis, Fishing Boats, Parasailing, good seafood everywhere... etc

6 Days in Disney & 3 days at Universal studies doesn't sound like a vacation to me, it sounds like a 2nd job, my kids were thrilled to stay at the beach...... Enjoy the sunshine and warm water.

BigRedChief
05-18-2005, 10:20 AM
I just got back from 10 days in Tampa/ St Pete Yesterday. The Beaches in Clearwater & Maidera Beach are amazing. If I were you I would spend more time on the beach & less time in the theme parks.

We stayed in the Clearwater beach/ Sand Key area near Tampa... the beaches there are calm and clean with perfect clear water. They are great for kids, and ranked #1 in the nation in some surveys. Shopping for the wife, Jet skis, Fishing Boats, Parasailing, good seafood everywhere... etc

6 Days in Disney & 3 days at Universal studies doesn't sound like a vacation to me, it sounds like a 2nd job, my kids were thrilled to stay at the beach...... Enjoy the sunshine and warm water.

Cool thanks for the info!

we are rotating the theme park stuff. My son is into the roller coasters so its mainly for him. Shoot my big ass can't even fit in some of them.

Disney then Daytona then Sea World then Tampa then back to Orlando.

Mosbonian
05-18-2005, 10:25 AM
Staying on property. Gonna pay 100 bucks a night instead of 50 bucks a night to stay in kissimmee so that we can get the extra hours for guests only and easy transportation in and out.

No we havent bought tickets yet. About the same price for the hotel and passes through expedia or the official Walt Disney site.

Going to do the same with Sea World and Universal. Stay nearby and pay the extra bucks so as not to fight traffic and make the vacation smoother.

Ok...here goes....

1) I am guessing that you are staying at either the Mid-price hotels, or caught a good deal on the Animal Kingdom or Wilderness Lodge. What ever you do, don't hesitate to buy the "free refill" mugs that are sold there in the cafeteria areas. With my family we usually drink enough on just one day to pay for the mug....(another tip....if you already have a mug from the hotel you are staying at, you can get your drinks for free. We had one from the Wilderness Lodge from the previous year and brought them with us the next year...everything i drank was for free)

2) Utilize the early days as much as possible. And whatever park is opening early that day, head to the ride that you want to go on first and get a "Fast Pass" if the line has already gotten long. If you are planning on going to the Animal Kingdom, head back to the Safari Ride first....being one of the first to ride in the AM is the best....the animals are more active and you can see some of the staff actually feeding them too...

3) For the parks that are furthest away from the hotel that you are staying in, think about using your rental car(if you rented one) to drive yourself. Whatever hotel you are staying at, they give you a Parking Pass for the hotel that also lets you park free at any of the parks. That way you aren't tied to the transportation system that can take a while at the more crowded parks.

4) If you are going to be going to the parks all 6 of the days that you are at Disney, get the "length of stay" park hopper pass. It lets you come and go to any park, at any time. So, if you see that the Magic Kingdom is crowded and hear the EPCOT isn't as crowded you can slide onto the Monorail and visit EPCOT.

5) If your son is a Star Wars fan (this one is for GoChiefs too) you shoudl check out to see what times the Star War's weekend activities are going on at MGM Studios. It's actually pretty cool stuff for the younger crowd, and a hoot getting your pic taken with all the characters that are there....

more...

BigRedChief
05-18-2005, 10:38 AM
Ok...here goes....

1) I am guessing that you are staying at either the Mid-price hotels, or caught a good deal on the Animal Kingdom or Wilderness Lodge. What ever you do, don't hesitate to buy the "free refill" mugs that are sold there in the cafeteria areas. With my family we usually drink enough on just one day to pay for the mug....(another tip....if you already have a mug from the hotel you are staying at, you can get your drinks for free. We had one from the Wilderness Lodge from the previous year and brought them with us the next year...everything i drank was for free)

2) Utilize the early days as much as possible. And whatever park is opening early that day, head to the ride that you want to go on first and get a "Fast Pass" if the line has already gotten long. If you are planning on going to the Animal Kingdom, head back to the Safari Ride first....being one of the first to ride in the AM is the best....the animals are more active and you can see some of the staff actually feeding them too...

3) For the parks that are furthest away from the hotel that you are staying in, think about using your rental car(if you rented one) to drive yourself. Whatever hotel you are staying at, they give you a Parking Pass for the hotel that also lets you park free at any of the parks. That way you aren't tied to the transportation system that can take a while at the more crowded parks.

4) If you are going to be going to the parks all 6 of the days that you are at Disney, get the "length of stay" park hopper pass. It lets you come and go to any park, at any time. So, if you see that the Magic Kingdom is crowded and hear the EPCOT isn't as crowded you can slide onto the Monorail and visit EPCOT.

5) If your son is a Star Wars fan (this one is for GoChiefs too) you shoudl check out to see what times the Star War's weekend activities are going on at MGM Studios. It's actually pretty cool stuff for the younger crowd, and a hoot getting your pic taken with all the characters that are there....

more...

I'm going to stay at the All Star sports complex.

Going to get the all parks for 7 days pass.

Yep. he's into Star Wars.

Thanks for the tips!:clap:

Mosbonian
05-18-2005, 10:44 AM
con't....

6) Utilize the "Fast Pass" often....really often.....there is nothing worse that standing in line for any ride. With the planning we did last year, I never waited more than 10 minutes for anything.

7) When in the Magic Kingdom, go see "Mickey's Philharmagic"...it's a must see no matter what age. The animation and the visual effects (and the physical effects too) are amazing. It's worth the very small 15 -20 minute wait you might experience.

8) If your wife likes seeing the fireworks display at the end of the day at the Magic Kingdom but you don't want to go into the park and fight the crowds getting out, take your car and park in the front parking lot of the Contemporary Hotel and watch from there. When it ends you are out of there in no time....avoiding all the crowds.

9) Places to eat....for a fun experience try Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary. While it isn't grand cuisine, it's no different than eating at Golden Corral and the characters are the added attraction.

10) Is it anyone's Anniversary or Birthday during your stay? If so, then you can get a "birthday" button that you can wear. All the Cast Members are supposed to wish you a "Happy Birthday" when they see it. (And occasionally, and don't tell anyone this, you might even get a "freebie" or two like say at the ice cream parlor, a restaurant, or a gift shop).

11) Don't try to over do it at the parks....thus the "length of stay" pass. Some of the best times we have had a Disney were days that we did nothing but hang around the hotel and swim.....take a boat ride....bicycle around the hotel.....just be lazy.

12) Just for thre fun of it.....if your wife likes shopping like mine did and you want to play golf, talk her into going to Downtown Disney or making the rounds of the gift shops at the other Disney Hotels. Each one has pretty much the same stuff when it comes to the things for kids, but each hotel has some things that are indigenous to the type of hotel...like at the Animal Kingdom Lodge many of the items have more of an African flavor to the mix....at the Wilderness Lodge they have the "lodge" look...at the Carribean, it has more of the South Seas flavor. My wife found a little something at each place, and I got to play golf uninterrupted.

more...

Mosbonian
05-18-2005, 10:57 AM
con't....

13) Since you son is a Star Wars fan, and he is probably going to want to see Star Wars at least 60 times, no place is better to see it than at the AMC complex in DownTown Disney. That theater has the latest and greatest in technology, and you experience it they way that the average theater doesn't give you...

14) Even though most of my expertise is in Disney, I can tell you nothing fascinates a kid more than a trip to Cape Kennedy. When we were living in the Carolinas, we planned a Disney trip about the same time as they had a Shuttle launch. that was several years ago, and my kids still talks about it like it was yesterday. And all the things that you see at the Cape are just as interesting to you as they are to the kids.

I know this seems to go on and on, but my many trips to Disney (20 times in the last 9 years) have taught me many things.

If you have any other questions feel free to send a smoke signal...

mmaddog

BigRedChief
05-18-2005, 11:04 AM
con't....

6) Utilize the "Fast Pass" often....really often.....there is nothing worse that standing in line for any ride. With the planning we did last year, I never waited more than 10 minutes for anything.

7) When in the Magic Kingdom, go see "Mickey's Philharmagic"...it's a must see no matter what age. The animation and the visual effects (and the physical effects too) are amazing. It's worth the very small 15 -20 minute wait you might experience.

8) If your wife likes seeing the fireworks display at the end of the day at the Magic Kingdom but you don't want to go into the park and fight the crowds getting out, take your car and park in the front parking lot of the Contemporary Hotel and watch from there. When it ends you are out of there in no time....avoiding all the crowds.

9) Places to eat....for a fun experience try Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary. While it isn't grand cuisine, it's no different than eating at Golden Corral and the characters are the added attraction.

10) Is it anyone's Anniversary or Birthday during your stay? If so, then you can get a "birthday" button that you can wear. All the Cast Members are supposed to wish you a "Happy Birthday" when they see it. (And occasionally, and don't tell anyone this, you might even get a "freebie" or two like say at the ice cream parlor, a restaurant, or a gift shop).

11) Don't try to over do it at the parks....thus the "length of stay" pass. Some of the best times we have had a Disney were days that we did nothing but hang around the hotel and swim.....take a boat ride....bicycle around the hotel.....just be lazy.

12) Just for thre fun of it.....if your wife likes shopping like mine did and you want to play golf, talk her into going to Downtown Disney or making the rounds of the gift shops at the other Disney Hotels. Each one has pretty much the same stuff when it comes to the things for kids, but each hotel has some things that are indigenous to the type of hotel...like at the Animal Kingdom Lodge many of the items have more of an African flavor to the mix....at the Wilderness Lodge they have the "lodge" look...at the Carribean, it has more of the South Seas flavor. My wife found a little something at each place, and I got to play golf uninterrupted.

more...

Cool tips!:clap:

We are planning 6 days at Disney to relax and not worry about time. Figuring we can see all of what we really want to see in 4 days and the rest of the time just screwing around doing whatever we want at the time.

Mosbonian
05-18-2005, 11:12 AM
Cool tips!:clap:

We are planning 6 days at Disney to relax and not worry about time. Figuring we can see all of what we really want to see in 4 days and the rest of the time just screwing around doing whatever we want at the time.

Enjoy man....I envy you!!

mmaddog

Rain Man
05-18-2005, 11:16 AM
The funny part of this is that mmaddog has never been to Disney.

dtebbe
05-18-2005, 12:20 PM
Thinking of staying here in Daytona Beach. 65 bucks a night on the beach.
http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/propertyMain.do?group=false&propertyCode=10252&disablenav (http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/propertyMain.do?group=false&propertyCode=10252&disablenav)=

That end of the beach is a little older, I would not plan on that room being too nice. But if all you want is to crash and shower it will be OK. The area down towards Ponce Inlet is much quieter, newer, and nicer IMHO.

Make sure to check out the restaraunts down in Ponce Inlet. There are a couple really cool ones right on the water by where the gambling boat goes out.

The best seafood restaurant in Daytona is on the island side right under that big bridge. I think it called Park's seafood.

DT

BigRedChief
05-18-2005, 12:42 PM
That end of the beach is a little older, I would not plan on that room being too nice. But if all you want is to crash and shower it will be OK. The area down towards Ponce Inlet is much quieter, newer, and nicer IMHO.

Make sure to check out the restaraunts down in Ponce Inlet. There are a couple really cool ones right on the water by where the gambling boat goes out.

The best seafood restaurant in Daytona is on the island side right under that big bridge. I think it called Park's seafood.

DT

Cool. I'll look there.

mikey23545
05-18-2005, 01:09 PM
Make sure and hit Busch Gardens over in Tampa if you can...Best theme park evar!

And like Rainman said, Cape Canaveral is definitely worth seeing....

BigRedChief
05-18-2005, 02:12 PM
Make sure and hit Busch Gardens over in Tampa if you can...Best theme park evar!

Its closer than I thought..:hmmm: might be worth checking out

HC_Chief
05-18-2005, 02:20 PM
Skip Daytona Beach and head to Coco Beach. Coco Beach has better sand and better waves.

A really good beach on the gulf side S of Tampa = Siesta Key (Sarasota).

I'm not a fan of Daytona... crappy run-down town full of biker bars and pawn shops.

Bearcat
05-18-2005, 03:18 PM

6 days at Disney
6 days in Orlando

So far I've got
1-2 days at Sea World
6 days at Disney stuff

Wow... that's a lot of Disney. I've never been to Sea World... 2 or 3 days at Universal Studios/Island of Adventure would be well worth it. Ride the Hulk.

The last time I went, we spent a day at Epcot (which was more than enough), two at the Magic Kingdom (which might have been overdoing it, but I'm more of a coaster person), and one at MGM Studios (which was well worth it).

Eat at Whispering Canyons.

Trade all of your money in for Itchy and Scratchy money. It's more... fun.

:thumb:

It's why the Tower of Terror and Aerosmith coaster are next to each other :)

BigRedChief
05-18-2005, 04:05 PM
Wow... that's a lot of Disney. I've never been to Sea World... 2 or 3 days at Universal Studios/Island of Adventure would be well worth it. Ride the Hulk.

The last time I went, we spent a day at Epcot (which was more than enough), two at the Magic Kingdom (which might have been overdoing it, but I'm more of a coaster person), and one at MGM Studios (which was well worth it).

Eat at Whispering Canyons.

Trade all of your money in for Itchy and Scratchy money. It's more... fun.

:thumb:

It's why the Tower of Terror and Aerosmith coaster are next to each other :)

Which ones shouldn't a 13 year old boy miss?

Mosbonian
05-18-2005, 06:47 PM
Which ones shouldn't a 13 year old boy miss?

Magic Kingdom- Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear's Space Ride, The Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, and Stitch's Great Escape

EPCOT- Mission:Space, Test Track, Soarin', Body Wars, Maelstrom,

Disney-MGM- Star Tours (Star War's Ride), Rock 'n Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular

Animal Kingdom- Dinosaur (if you have a bad back avoid this one), Kali River Rapids (you WILL get wet), Primevil Whirl, It's Tough to Be A Bug, Kilimanjaro Safari's

These are the ones that he will probably enjoy....

mmaddog

ISUJeff
05-18-2005, 07:28 PM
How's this for a hard lesson learned? I don't recommend walking on the beach at night in Daytona.
Got jumped and had my wallet and gold chain taken. This picture was taken after spending a night in Halifax Medical Center with a broken nose, broken eye socket, and a concussion.
I wish I could say "You should see the other guy" but I think I took the worst of this one. It was probably a Raiders fan that did it since he kicked me in the face after I was already down.
Fortunately, I'm back to full speed now, but that concussion had me out of any kind of physical activity for over a month.

ISUJeff
05-18-2005, 07:29 PM
Sorry about the size of that picture attachment.

Skip Towne
05-18-2005, 07:49 PM
Sorry about the size of that picture attachment.
Damn!!

DaKCMan AP
05-18-2005, 08:12 PM

I just moved to Clearwater on Sunday for a summer job. I'm trying to get familiar with the area. Which beaches are good?

ISUJeff
05-18-2005, 08:21 PM
Damn!!

But it does kind of drive home the effect of the pic.

Spott
05-18-2005, 09:48 PM
6 days at Disney? You must be a glutton for punishment. A 13 year old boy will hate Disney. Disney is fun for little girls, but that's about it. Based on your age group, I would maybe do Sea World once, Islands of Adventure, Busch Gardens, Wet & Wild, a lot of fishing off the Atlantic side and hang out down in New Smyrna & Cocoa Beach(Daytona is kind of dirty).

Spott
05-18-2005, 09:50 PM
I just moved to Clearwater on Sunday for a summer job. I'm trying to get familiar with the area. Which beaches are good?

Good for what? Are you looking for beach bars, chicks in bikinis, shopping, etc?

Chiefsrocker
05-18-2005, 09:59 PM
My wife is from St. Pete/Tampa area and is now in NE Kansas. She has a lot of cool places to go.
1) Ybor City (in Tampa) Thurs. nite is Ladies Nite. Similar to Mardi Gras/New Orleans. Party theme for Adults.
2) Busch Gardens (in Tampa. She said it is better than Disney!)
3) Captiva Island &/or Sanibel Island (In between Naples and Sarasota. World known beaches to get conch shells. Get there early to get shells!)
4) Fort Desoto (In St. Pete. Old fort and they filmed the punisher there)
5) The Skyway Bridge (In St. Pete/Tampa. This is the bridge where 5 people swung off and bungeed off of and the line snapped and they fell! Been on TV lots!)
6) Hooters (St. Pete. She said she thought it was one of the original Hooters.
7) She said the West coast has the cleanest and nicer beaches. Clear water and white sand beaches.
Have fun!

Chiefsrocker
05-18-2005, 10:00 PM
Also stay away from South St. Pete & South Tampa! Lots of drugs and shootings!

Mosbonian
05-18-2005, 10:25 PM
A 13 year old boy will hate Disney. Disney is fun for little girls, but that's about it.

An opinion not shared by many....

mmaddog

C-Mac
05-18-2005, 11:25 PM

Ditto on those two:thumb:

I have been down your road several times(4 kids). These are my kids top choices:
-Busch Gardens
-Sea World
-Universal Studios & Theme park
-NASA(very cool)
-West coats beaches(Clearwater is where we stay then commute out)
-Group Charter Fishing

The Disney World stuff was a let down IMO.

Many parts of Daytona beach are trash, might check out the race track though.
Prepair yourself to sweat...a lot!
You will come to appreciate why we choose to go every December. :D

Bearcat
05-19-2005, 08:25 AM
Magic Kingdom- Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear's Space Ride, The Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, and Stitch's Great Escape

EPCOT- Mission:Space, Test Track, Soarin', Body Wars, Maelstrom,

Disney-MGM- Star Tours (Star War's Ride), Rock 'n Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular

Animal Kingdom- Dinosaur (if you have a bad back avoid this one), Kali River Rapids (you WILL get wet), Primevil Whirl, It's Tough to Be A Bug, Kilimanjaro Safari's

These are the ones that he will probably enjoy....

mmaddog

Not much more to add... Drew Carey, Honey I Shrunk the Audience was kind of cool, Spiderman @ Universal... :hmmm:

BigRedChief
05-19-2005, 08:28 AM
My wife is from St. Pete/Tampa area and is now in NE Kansas. She has a lot of cool places to go.
1) Ybor City (in Tampa) Thurs. nite is Ladies Nite. Similar to Mardi Gras/New Orleans. Party theme for Adults.
2) Busch Gardens (in Tampa. She said it is better than Disney!)
3) Captiva Island &/or Sanibel Island (In between Naples and Sarasota. World known beaches to get conch shells. Get there early to get shells!)
4) Fort Desoto (In St. Pete. Old fort and they filmed the punisher there)
5) The Skyway Bridge (In St. Pete/Tampa. This is the bridge where 5 people swung off and bungeed off of and the line snapped and they fell! Been on TV lots!)
6) Hooters (St. Pete. She said she thought it was one of the original Hooters.
7) She said the West coast has the cleanest and nicer beaches. Clear water and white sand beaches.
Have fun!

Thanks for the info! :clap:

HC_Chief
05-19-2005, 08:34 AM
I can vouch for Sanibel/Captiva Island... it is beautiful there.

FYI you will have to pay a toll to get to the island. It's not much, $3.50 IIRC, but be aware of it. If you go there, make sure to have dinner at The Bubble Room on Captiva... it's excellent.

Snapper Hott's on Sanibel has OUTSTANDING fish & chips... fresh-caught grouper that day. They also have some Chiefs memorbelia there :thumb: (Buck Buchanan autographed pic haning on the wall... he went there on vacation)

BigRedChief
05-19-2005, 08:37 AM
Snapper Hott's on Sanibel has OUTSTANDING fish & chips... fresh-caught grouper that day. They also have some Chiefs memorbelia there :thumb: (Buck Buchanan autographed pic haning on the wall... he went there on vacation)

Sounds like a must see now!:clap:

HC_Chief
05-19-2005, 08:43 AM
If I won the lottery, I'd immediately buy a house on Captiva Island. It is spectacular.

It will take you a couple of hours to drive down there from Tampa. Here's what I would do: start early, stop at Siesta Key (EXCELLENT beach) near Sarasota. Swim for a while, then head down to Sanibel/Captiva (2 Islands off the Ft Meyers coast... bridge access) and grab lunch at Snapper Hotts. Comb the Sanibel beaches for a while (LOTS of shells and dolphins regularly swim right off shore), then head up to Captiva. Hang on the beach there for an hour or two, then go grab food & drinks at the Bubble Room (excellent drinks and you HAVE to get Bubble Bread... it is unfreaking-real how good that stuff is... ftr, it's not the traditional bubble bread you may have heard of).

I took my wife and son to Sanibel/Captiva for a week last year. It was one of the best vacations we've ever had. :thumb:

DaKCMan AP
05-19-2005, 07:15 PM
Good for what? Are you looking for beach bars, chicks in bikinis, shopping, etc?

chicks in bikinis is a good start. also looking for a more quiet beach where i could read.

Saulbadguy
05-30-2005, 05:19 PM
I just got back. All I can add is:

I threw up on Mission:Space in the Epcot center. However, they provided barf bags on the ride, so I didn't feel too bad about it.

As for non-Disney things, I liked Old Town in Orlando, Gatorland, and the airboat ride on Boggy Creek. Here is a picture of me owning an alligator.

Ultra Peanut
05-30-2005, 05:29 PM
Well Saulbadguy was a Cajun,
He lived by himself in the swamp.
He hunted alligators for a livin,
He just knocked 'em in the head with a stump.
The Louisiana law gonna get ya Saul
It ain't legal hunting alligators down in the swamp, boy

Well everybody blames his old man,
For makin' him mean as a snake,
When Saulbadguy was a boy
His daddy would use him for alligator bait.
Tie a rope around his neck, and throw him in the swamp,
Alligator bit him in a Louisiana bayou

About 45 minutes southeast of Thibodeaux, Louisiana
Lived a man named Doc Milsap and his pretty wife Hanna
hey raised up a son who could eat up his weight in groceries,
Named him after a man of the cloth,
Called him Saulbadguy

Well, the folks around south Louisiana
Said Saul was a hell of a man
He could trap the biggest, the meanest  alligator
And just use one hand
That's all he's got left cause an alligator bit him
Left arm gone clean up to the elbow

Well the sheriff caught wind that Saul
Was in the swamp huntin' alligator skins
So he snuck in the swamp, gonna getcha boy,
But he never come out again.
Well, I wonder where the Louisiana sheriff went to?
You can sure get lost in a Louisiana bayou!

About 45 minutes southeast of Thibodeaux, Louisiana
Lived a man named Doc Milsap and his pretty wife Hanna
They raised a son who could eat up his weight in groceries,
Named him after a man of the cloth,
Called him Saulbadguy

BigRedChief
06-02-2005, 04:17 PM
Best Deals found:
Booked Disney (in park stay and tickets)through the waltdisneyworld.com official site as a package

Booked Daytona and St.Pete hotels through Expedia

Booked Orlando by Universal through Hotwire

Booked Orlando in Kissimmee through the choicehotels.com site

Bought tickets to Universal/Sea World/Wet N Wild through the Universal site

Airplane fare from KC to Orlando round trip through MidwestAirlines.com website.

Saulbadguy
06-02-2005, 04:18 PM
You are gonna be exhausted.

BigRedChief
06-02-2005, 09:51 PM
You are gonna be exhausted.

Lots of time on the beach doing nothing but catching rays and checking out the scenery. Shouldn't be too exhausting.:rolleyes: