PDA

View Full Version : Arrowhead Not Sold Out

jspchief
05-18-2005, 08:50 AM
Just heard a radio advertisement for Chiefs tickets here in Des Moines. That pretty much verifies rumblings that they aren't selling tickets like they have in the past. It's the first ad I've heard for season tickets ever.

I guess paying the 5th highest admission in the NFL to watch a mediocre team is losing it's appeal.

keg in kc
05-18-2005, 08:51 AM
5th highest admission in the NFL?

ChiTown
05-18-2005, 08:52 AM
I'm actually amazed there hasn't been a huge run on tickets lately. After the offseason moves and the subsequent draft, I really thought this would be a moot point. Guess not.....

jspchief
05-18-2005, 08:57 AM
5th highest admission in the NFL?Last year the Chiefs had the 5th highest average ticket price in the League.

My guess is a disappointing losing season, on the heels of the umpteenth price hike, was the final straw for a lot of ticket holders. Keeping ticket prices the same this year may have come too late.

People looking into getting season tickets for the first time may be scared off by the sticker shock. It's a hell of a lot of money to go watch a team that has a penchant for stomping on your heart.

keg in kc
05-18-2005, 08:57 AM
Last year the Chiefs had the 5th highest average ticket price in the League.Interesting. I had no idea.

DeepSouth
05-18-2005, 08:59 AM
Interesting. I had no idea.
Me neither.

Donger
05-18-2005, 09:00 AM
Just heard a radio advertisement for Chiefs tickets here in Des Moines. That pretty much verifies rumblings that they aren't selling tickets like they have in the past. It's the first ad I've heard for season tickets ever.

I guess paying the 5th highest admission in the NFL to watch a mediocre team is losing it's appeal.

What did CP say about "real fans" again?

morphius
05-18-2005, 09:00 AM
Shouldn't this read that the Arrowhead season tickets not all sold yet, since arrowhead can't be sold out yet as single game tickets haven't went on sale yet?

BigRedChief
05-18-2005, 09:01 AM
Last year the Chiefs had the 5th highest average ticket price in the League.

My guess is a disappointing losing season, on the heels of the umpteenth price hike, was the final straw for a lot of ticket holders. Keeping ticket prices the same this year may have come too late.

People looking into getting season tickets for the first time may be scared off by the sticker shock. It's a hell of a lot of money to go watch a team that has a penchant for stomping on your heart.

And you are going to pay 1.7-2.2 k a year to sit up in the nosebleeds and it will be years before you have a realistic chance to move to good seats.

It's a tough sell.

dtebbe
05-18-2005, 09:02 AM
And you are going to pay 1.7-2.2 k a year to sit up in the nosebleeds and it will be years before you have a realistic chance to move to good seats.

It's a tough sell.

It took me 5 years to get lower level seats (got them this year), but someone else on here got seats right by me on thier first try. A bunch of people gave up lower level seats this year.

DT

jspchief
05-18-2005, 09:02 AM
Interesting. I had no idea.Considering the demographic, combined with the performance of the team over the last five years, it's a miracle they've got away with it this long. An occasional 13-3 season has been a carrot in front of the cart, but after our inactivity last off-season, followed by the Chiefs tripping on their dicks, people are starting to wise up.

Just like most other products, there's at least a hint of the notion that you should get what you pay for. We're paying to stay at the Drake, but keep ending up in a Holiday Inn Express.

MOhillbilly
05-18-2005, 09:04 AM
I'm actually amazed there hasn't been a huge run on tickets lately. After the offseason moves and the subsequent draft, I really thought this would be a moot point. Guess not.....

Fool me once shame on you.

Fool me twice shame on me.

jspchief
05-18-2005, 09:04 AM
Shouldn't this read that the Arrowhead season tickets not all sold yet, since arrowhead can't be sold out yet as single game tickets haven't went on sale yet?If it's that important to you to pick nits, I can change it. I was just trying to make a short thread title.

keg in kc
05-18-2005, 09:05 AM
Not winning a playoff game for over a decade makes it a hard sell. I think this area is so hungry for a winner right now, that all it would take is one playoff win. I think we're a forgiving bunch. But I admit I don't get out much so maybe my read is off.

Nzoner
05-18-2005, 09:06 AM
Shouldn't this read that the Arrowhead season tickets not all sold yet, since arrowhead can't be sold out yet as single game tickets haven't went on sale yet?

Personally,I think Carl may be a little concerned about single game tickets being able to pick up the slack this year as this is the first time as a season ticket holder I received an offer form on getting 3 friends to sign up for season tickets,plus you get a $50 GC to the fan store for each that signs up.

morphius
05-18-2005, 09:09 AM
If it's that important to you to pick nits, I can change it. I was just trying to make a short thread title.
I'm just thinking ahead to when TJ and friends show up...

MOhillbilly
05-18-2005, 09:10 AM
Not winning a playoff game for over a decade makes it a hard sell. I think this area is so hungry for a winner right now, that all it would take is one playoff win. I think we're a forgiving bunch. But I admit I don't get out much so maybe my read is off.

the resolve of the fans has been streched so thin by the CP era i doubt anything but a superbowl would cinvince many fans.

One and done sure as hell wouldnt.

shaneo69
05-18-2005, 09:11 AM
Does anyone know how many season tickets they're trying to get sold for this year? For awhile, they limited it to 68,000, but they've been slowing increasing that number each year to where I believe it was at 72,000 last year. I'm glad they've been increasing that number, because the seats next to us used to be available each year when the individual tix went on sale, and fans of the opposing teams always seemed to get them.

Makes it tougher to get single game tickets when they keep increasing the number of season tickets, but if it keeps out the opposing teams' fans, I'm all for it.

jspchief
05-18-2005, 09:11 AM
Personally,I think Carl may be a little concerned about single game tickets being able to pick up the slack this year as this is the first time as a season ticket holder I received an offer form on getting 3 friends to sign up for season tickets,plus you get a $50 GC to the fan store for each that signs up.He should be. The second half of the season has some games that could be real duds. If KC isn't playing well, no one is going to pay to freeze their ass off watching us lay down against the Chargers or Bengals.

BigRedChief
05-18-2005, 09:12 AM
It took me 5 years to get lower level seats (got them this year), but someone else on here got seats right by me on thier first try. A bunch of people gave up lower level seats this year.

DT

I was up in the end zone corner near the top of the stadium for 2 years. Then the last 3 years I've been at the 50 yard line but at the top of the stadium. This year I made to the lower bowl. PBJ sounds like we are following each other. Where did you get lower bowl seats? I'm in section 110.

morphius
05-18-2005, 09:13 AM
Personally,I think Carl may be a little concerned about single game tickets being able to pick up the slack this year as this is the first time as a season ticket holder I received an offer form on getting 3 friends to sign up for season tickets,plus you get a $50 GC to the fan store for each that signs up.
That may be the case, as well I'm sure it is nice to have the money in the bank before the season starts. Especially knowing how are schedule starts off this year. Plus there is the whole chunk of change they get for forced ticket purchases for preseason games so that they can air it on TV (not sure if blackout rules apply to preseason or not). Not to mention the forced parking fees for those preseason games.

DeepSouth
05-18-2005, 09:13 AM
this article indicates the Chiefs ranked 13th in 2004 in average ticket price.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/01/05/chiefs_freeze_ticket_prices_for_2005

Nzoner
05-18-2005, 09:14 AM

It's a tough sell.

Good seats is a matter of opinion,I've sat in all 3 levels at Arrowhead and have turned down the seat upgrade program the last few years to keep my seats in the upper Nzone.Compared to the other places I've sat I prefer the view and the fans around me,hell after last year's flask incident I even prefer our deputy dawg.

BigRedChief
05-18-2005, 09:17 AM
Good seats is a matter of opinion,I've sat in all 3 levels at Arrowhead and have turned down the seat upgrade program the last few years to keep my seats in the upper Nzone.Compared to the other places I've sat I prefer the view and the fans around me,hell after last year's flask incident I even prefer our deputy dawg.

I liked being on the 50 yard line even if it was at the top of the stadium and I did like the people around me. Most had had tickets for over 13 years. But I wanted to see how the game looks from the lower bowl. I knew I'd have to go end zone in the lower bowl to move down but I heard its a "hoot" down there on this board so what the hell.....I can always move back up.

Saulbadguy
05-18-2005, 09:18 AM
I've heard advertisements for season tickets EVERY year. They are usually 1's or pairs in the upper corners.

Also the "5th highest admission price in the NFL" is pretty much BS. Chiefs don't sell PSL's.

jspchief
05-18-2005, 09:18 AM
I'm just thinking ahead to when TJ and friends show up...Fair enough. FWIW, I wasn't trying to mislead anyone with the title. I just like to keep my thread titles tidy, and "KC is advertising on the radio because season tickets sales are down" seemed a bit clunky.

Obviously, all this could change between now and August 20th. I'm willing to bet there are a lot people out there that still think it's impossible to get season tickets at Arrowhead. These Ads will get the word out. Plus, as was mentioned, we've done a lot to build excitement this off-season. I believe season ticket holders are required to renew pretty early in the year, so there may have been a lot of people dumping tickets before we got all these guys.

Nzoner
05-18-2005, 09:22 AM
I liked being on the 50 yard line even if it was at the top of the stadium and I did like the people around me. Most had had tickets for over 13 years. But I wanted to see how the game looks from the lower bowl. I knew I'd have to go end zone in the lower bowl to move down but I heard its a "hoot" down there on this board so what the hell.....I can always move back up.

Dude I could give a rat's ass where you sit,as long as it makes you happy,I'm happy for you. :toast:

jspchief
05-18-2005, 09:27 AM

There appears to be some discrepencies. This article has them as third highest in 2004, and also points out KC had a 15% increase from '03 to '04.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2004-09-07-ticket-prices_x.htm#pay

Infidel Goat
05-18-2005, 09:27 AM

Oh sure. Confuse us with facts.

I'll add some more:

"Roughly 95 percent of last year's season tickets have been renewed, which means about 69,000 seats have been filled four months before the start of the season. "

Source?

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/11606537.htm

--Infidel Goat

Infidel Goat
05-18-2005, 09:29 AM
There appears to be some discrepencies. This article has them as third highest in 2004, and also points out KC had a 15% increase from '03 to '04.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2004-09-07-ticket-prices_x.htm#pay

"Information included in a recent Team Marketing Report citing the Chiefs as third in average price failed to include seat premium fees and personal seat licenses that exist at stadiums throughout the league, as well as other ticket pricing for groups, charities, and in the case of Kansas City, a youth/senior ticket."

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2004/09/26/chiefs_rank_13th_in_nfl_in_ticket_prices/

--Infidel Goat

morphius
05-18-2005, 09:30 AM
Fair enough. FWIW, I wasn't trying to mislead anyone with the title. I just like to keep my thread titles tidy, and "KC is advertising on the radio because season tickets sales are down" seemed a bit clunky.

Obviously, all this could change between now and August 20th. I'm willing to bet there are a lot people out there that still think it's impossible to get season tickets at Arrowhead. These Ads will get the word out. Plus, as was mentioned, we've done a lot to build excitement this off-season. I believe season ticket holders are required to renew pretty early in the year, so there may have been a lot of people dumping tickets before we got all these guys.
I understand completely, didn't bother me a lot, just enough to post a reply about it, LOL!

I do think the lack of signing a CB early did hurt the sales, and from the sounds of it a bunch of people here are moving to the lower level. So to me, it sounds like a lot of people that have had them for a while are starting to give up their seats. The bad thing about that as I see it, is that most of those people well not be coming back as they probably wouldn't want to start with worse seats then they had before.

shaneo69
05-18-2005, 09:34 AM
"Information included in a recent Team Marketing Report citing the Chiefs as third in average price failed to include seat premium fees and personal seat licenses that exist at stadiums throughout the league, as well as other ticket pricing for groups, charities, and in the case of Kansas City, a youth/senior ticket."

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2004/09/26/chiefs_rank_13th_in_nfl_in_ticket_prices/

--Infidel Goat

Carl's got an excuse for everything, doesn't he?

kc rush
05-18-2005, 09:36 AM

DT

How in the hell are people doing this? This is my 4th year of season tickets and I was told that there weren't any lower level tix available when I went to upgrade. How many people are in your group and in the first year group that got in there?

I've got 4 tickets, that is the only thing I could think of that would make it more difficult.

jspchief
05-18-2005, 09:37 AM
I've got 4 tickets, that is the only thing I could think of that would make it more difficult.My guess is that's a big factor

BigRedChief
05-18-2005, 09:40 AM
Dude I could give a rat's ass where you sit,as long as it makes you happy,I'm happy for you. :toast:

just as long as its not near you right? :p

jspchief
05-18-2005, 09:44 AM

--Infidel Goat

I won't pretend to know how PSLs work, so that could be true. One might argue that the Chiefs have more to gain by spinning this, but I don't see any black helicopters overhead, so it won't be me.

What I do know is KC raised their prices by 15% after a 13-3 2003 season, then fell on their faces in 2004. That probably doesn't sit well with a lot of fans.

What I also know is I heard a radio advertisement for season tickets in Des Moines for the first time in 8-10 years of listening to sports radio here. It's pure speculation, but an extended ad campaign tells me that they are having to try harder to sell those tickets this year.

Nzoner
05-18-2005, 09:49 AM
just as long as its not near you right? :p

As far as I'm concerned,the more the merrier,hell it'd be great to have a Chiefs Planet section but getting everyone to agree on one location would be next to impossible.

tomahawk kid
05-18-2005, 10:10 AM
The same thing happened in regards to tickets last year.

They'll sell out.

Nzoner
05-18-2005, 10:17 AM
The same thing happened in regards to tickets last year.

Season ticket holders did not get a notice encouraging us to sign up friends for tickets and in return get a $50 GC to the fan store.That's a first in my 12 years as a ticket holder.

dtebbe
05-18-2005, 10:54 AM
How in the hell are people doing this? This is my 4th year of season tickets and I was told that there weren't any lower level tix available when I went to upgrade. How many people are in your group and in the first year group that got in there?

I've got 4 tickets, that is the only thing I could think of that would make it more difficult.

What I found out this year is that they won't split seats. In other words if there are 3 seats together in the lower level they won't sell 2 and have the orphan seat. I have 4 in the upper level, so I asked for 4 in lower. They said none were available. Then I asked for 2 in the lower level, none were available. Then I asked for 3, and BOOM! Sec 111 Row 27. 3 will work for me, so I kept my 4 uppers, now I have 3 lowers in Sec 129, and during the offseason I bought a pair in Sec 123 Row 39.

So my season ticket bill is about $6k right now. I wonder if that makes me a true fan?

Now all I need is a private jet to ferry me back and forth from Atlanta.

I will probably drop my upper level seats next year, just depends on how we like the endzone seats.

DT

KC Kings
05-18-2005, 10:57 AM
What did CP say about "real fans" again?
I have no problem with CP saying that I am not a real fan.
1. I don't pay for tickets or concessions, so I am not contributing towards the team financial gainings.
2. I am not at Arrowhead on Sunday, so the players can't hear me cheering them on so I am not contributing towards any wins.

CP's job is to make money and win games, so if I am not helping him out at all, he should not consider me a real fan.

As far as not selling out, there have been ad's in the KC Star for the last couple of years, even after the season started. Do not buy in to any "TV blackout" BS, because that will never happen. They weren't sold out before Vermeil's second year, and I was up at the Red Friday pep ralley. At the very end CP came out and said that the Chiefs would never be blacked out, that they still had about 1,000 tickets available, single and scattered throughout the stadium, and that they would sell them for $5 a piece. I bought a couple upper deck seats around row 10 for $10. If we are ever close to being blacked out, they will lower the price again and sell them to fans or advertisers/sponsors, or donate them to charities.

dtebbe
05-18-2005, 11:00 AM
I was up in the end zone corner near the top of the stadium for 2 years. Then the last 3 years I've been at the 50 yard line but at the top of the stadium. This year I made to the lower bowl. PBJ sounds like we are following each other. Where did you get lower bowl seats? I'm in section 110.

Right next to you in 111, Row 27 Seats 1-3. Didn't I email you and tell you about those tickets being available? I was just amazed when I found they were!

DT

BigRedChief
05-18-2005, 11:47 AM
Right next to you in 111, Row 27 Seats 1-3. Didn't I email you and tell you about those tickets being available? I was just amazed when I found they were!

DT

Yep you were the man! :clap:

I'd given up moving down and they had told me none was avaliable in the lower bowl when it was my time for the seat upgrade. Then 2 weeks later you told me there were some and the rest is history.

chiefqueen
05-18-2005, 11:48 AM
There may be a front row season ticket available after five if I don't remember to call the Chiefs & make sure the only apply the amount specified & not the automatic amount Ticketmaster was trying to take. My worst fear is Ticketmaster might apply both and I used a debit not a credit card.

I hate the new payment system.

BigRedChief
05-18-2005, 11:49 AM
I have no problem with CP saying that I am not a real fan.
1. I don't pay for tickets or concessions, so I am not contributing towards the team financial gainings.
2. I am not at Arrowhead on Sunday, so the players can't hear me cheering them on so I am not contributing towards any wins.

CP's job is to make money and win games, so if I am not helping him out at all, he should not consider me a real fan.

I call :BS:

Just because you are not in the Arrowhead stadium on Sunday afternoons does not make you any less a fan that anyone else.

Cochise
05-18-2005, 11:50 AM
The ticket prices data is very misleading.

Often when you see it in the local press the price is adjusted or not adjusted for average local incomes, it's average ticket prices or non-season ticket prices, etc. etc., the prices cited are not those filed with the league, etc etc. Basically, you can make the ticket price 'statistics' say whatever you want to about any team in the league.

Cochise
05-18-2005, 11:51 AM

Just because you are not in the Arrowhead stadium on Sunday afternoons does not make you any less a fan that anyone else.

You wouldn't be inclined to think that the guy who's been there every week for 20 years is a bigger fan than the guy who has never been to a game, other things being equal? :hmmm:

BIG_DADDY
05-18-2005, 11:56 AM
They will be sold out as usual.

Calcountry
05-18-2005, 12:01 PM
Fug it, take the 3 grand you'd pay in tix and make a buydown payment on your mortgage every year. When its paid off, send Carl a thank you letter.

BigRedChief
05-18-2005, 12:05 PM
You wouldn't be inclined to think that the guy who's been there every week for 20 years is a bigger fan than the guy who has never been to a game, other things being equal? :hmmm:
No way am I going to quanitfy whos a "Real" or "true" or "bigger" Chiefs fan.

Your example has flaws. What if they have a handicap that keeps them from attending? What about their financial situation? Maybe he/she needs their money just to pay the bills.

I try to stay away from judging people. I save that for King Carl's job performance.

KC Kings
05-18-2005, 12:14 PM

Then we will have to agree to disagree.

On a fan to fan basis, I can see the gap between the fandom a little less, but from Carl Peterson's perspective if I am not contributing to the $$$ and not contributing towards a win, why should a GM care if I have field turf in my basement and a wall covered in autographed 8x10's.

Even on a fan to fan comparison, I don't have a couple grand laying around but I could afford $300 a game to take the family to Arrowhead and become a season ticket holder, but I refuse to pay that much when I can watch it for free on tv. There are plenty of people that can not afford season tickets, yet buy them anyway. Stupid? IMO, but I sure as hell wouldn't scrape from the bottom of the barrel to make ends meet just to keep season tickets. That makes me less of a fan.

A Chiefs fan with with no season tickets is like the guy that shows up to the Chiefsplanet tailgate to eat and drink, but doesn't bring any food or beer.

I love the Chiefs, and I have supported them by sporting their gear all over the world where there were no other Chiefs fan, but none of that matters to CP unless I am making him money or helping his team win.

Nzoner
05-18-2005, 12:28 PM
On a fan to fan basis, I can see the gap between the fandom a little less, but from Carl Peterson's perspective if I am not contributing to the $$$ and not contributing towards a win, why should a GM care if I have field turf in my basement and a wall covered in autographed 8x10's.

I appreciate the point you're trying to make,however,as any smart businessman should know,you should not only be taking care of now but looking towards the future as well when it comes to potential customers.

Any fan who doesn't have season tickets now,has to be considered a future customer who will contribute $$$$ and support at the stadium.

dtebbe
05-18-2005, 12:56 PM
Yep you were the man! :clap:

I'd given up moving down and they had told me none was avaliable in the lower bowl when it was my time for the seat upgrade. Then 2 weeks later you told me there were some and the rest is history.

I just about pooped my pants when they told me they were available. The key is asking for 2, then 3, then 4. I found out they won't split tickets if it creates a single 'orphan' seat.

DT

tk13
05-18-2005, 01:49 PM
Carl's got an excuse for everything, doesn't he?
I don't know if that's really an excuse, PSL's are expensive... that's millions of dollars in revenue that isn't factored in.

Cochise
05-18-2005, 02:26 PM
Your example has flaws. What if they have a handicap that keeps them from attending? What about their financial situation? Maybe he/she needs their money just to pay the bills.

That's why my post included the words "other things being equal" :spock:

Bearcat
05-18-2005, 03:20 PM

I don't really think being a fan and being a customer can really be compared. If both people have watched every game for 20 years -- one on the couch and one at the stadium -- they're both pretty big (real, true, etc.) fans, IMO.

shaneo69
05-18-2005, 08:28 PM
I don't know if that's really an excuse, PSL's are expensive... that's millions of dollars in revenue that isn't factored in.

The fans in St. Louis and Charlotte paid for their PSL's in 1995. Carl wants us to believe that this marketing company is inaccurately calculating 2004 ticket prices because they don't include PSL money that was paid in 1995? Yeah, whatever.

Bob Dole
05-26-2005, 02:41 PM
If you need more evidence that season tickets sales are lagging, they are now sending an email solicitation to members of the NFL.com chiefs mailing list.

Get 2005 Season Tickets First!

Dear Bob,

You are next in line to purchase 2005 Chiefs Season Tickets! There are a limited number of Upper Reserved Season Tickets available. Visit
http://smr.mm.ticketmaster.com:80/track?t=c|mid=74207|msgid=72947|did=|sn=11171375269041|eid=scott@texarkanarocks.com|uid=171987127|ex tra=|||https://oss.ticketmaster.com/html/pack_home.htmI?team=chiefs&l=EN
to purchase season tickets. Becoming a season ticket holder will automatically enter you in a drawing to win a trip for two to see the Chiefs take on Denver on Monday Night Football. We will be notifying the next group of people of their chance to purchase tickets in 3 days.

A limited number of seats remain-don't miss out on your chance to see Arrowhead rumble this fall!

A limited number of Upper Reserved tickets remain. All available tickets are $590 ($59 for each of the 10 home games). Don't forget-this opportunity will be extended to the next group of people in 3
days! Please email badriance@chiefs.nfl.com or call the Kansas City Chiefs at (888) 99-CHIEFS if you have any questions.

Hope to see you at Arrowhead,

The Kansas City Chiefs

jspchief
05-26-2005, 02:45 PM
Impossible.

kc rush
05-26-2005, 03:17 PM
If you need more evidence that season tickets sales are lagging, they are now sending an email solicitation to members of the NFL.com chiefs mailing list.

I got the same email, and I'm already a season ticket holder.