PDA

View Full Version : Should the Chiefs move William Bartee to Free Safety?

bricks
05-18-2005, 10:46 AM
We all know he can hit. Imo, he did play the CB position like a safety and that is why I ask this question.

jspchief
05-18-2005, 10:48 AM
They are playing him at safety this week in practice.

Iowanian
05-18-2005, 10:48 AM
If he doesn't make it as a backup safety, and show some real talent for the position, he'll be working at Sizzler by October.

The Only thing Bartee has proven for the past 3-4 seasons is that he is a HORRIBLE CB.

Count Alex's Losses
05-18-2005, 10:50 AM
I doubt he will make the roster as anything but a backup. Wesley has a knack for getting tunovers, Bartee is the exact opposite.

bricks
05-18-2005, 10:51 AM
If he doesn't make it as a backup safety, and show some real talent for the position, he'll be working at Sizzler by October.

The Only thing Bartee has proven for the past 3-4 seasons is that he is a HORRIBLE CB.

What's the Sizzler? Is that the name of some Burger joint?

jspchief
05-18-2005, 10:53 AM
What's the Sizzler? Is that the name of some Burger joint?Silly Canadian... :shake:

Iowanian
05-18-2005, 10:53 AM
Bricks is too high to know where he's getting those pancakes and sausage links, after the hooker trip to Buffalo?

Bootlegged
05-18-2005, 10:54 AM
They should play him at June 1 cut. The guy is NOT a football player.

gblowfish
05-18-2005, 10:56 AM
They could move him to the parking lot to direct pre-game traffic, but he'd probably get hit by a car. He has a problem turning his head and locating things...like footballs and speeding cars.

bricks
I doubt he will make the roster as anything but a backup. Wesley has a knack for getting tunovers, Bartee is the exact opposite.

Bartee can hit and tackle. He's probably the best at doing that than anybody else in our secondary. I know he's awful in man-to-man coverage, but, I think he has the ability read the QB's eyes and play zone real well. I agree with you, he does not have a knack for making plays. That doesn't matter anyway. We got Knight, Surtain, and Warfield. Those guys can make plenty of plays themselves.

milkman

Would that be true if Wesley were the one converted to corner?

I still remember a play in his (Wesley's) rookie season when he wound up in single coverage on Tim Brown.

Gannon threw an absolute duck about 35 yards.
It semed to take a week for the ball to come down.
Wesley had all day to find it, and make a play on it, and he simply never turned to look for it, and of course Brown made the catch.

Wesley has shown he can play safety, but based on that play, my money says he'd suck as badly as Bartee if he had been the one they converted to CB.

Saulbadguy
05-18-2005, 10:57 AM
They should play him at June 1 cut. The guy is NOT a football player.

I concur. He's had quite a few chances.

bricks
05-18-2005, 10:58 AM
Silly Canadian... :shake:

Seriously. I've never heard of it.

Frankie
05-18-2005, 10:59 AM
We all know he can hit. Imo, he did play the CB position like a safety and that is why I ask this question.

I'm about to duck! I actually hope he'll pan out and make Woods dispensible.

milkman
05-18-2005, 10:59 AM
What's the Sizzler? Is that the name of some Burger joint?

It's a place that specializes in cheap steak.
Gristle at it's finest.

Gristler would be it's more appropriate name.

Iowanian
05-18-2005, 11:01 AM
Ok, lets try another for the McKenzie Brother, eh hoser.

I'm saying that if William Bartee doesn't come off extremely impressive at Backup Safety in camp, by the end of August, he'll be applying for a job as dishwasher at Cracker barrel, fry supervisor at Denny's, Buff technicial at the Jiffywash...

morphius
05-18-2005, 11:01 AM
I think he is a decent tackler, so I would give him the oppertunity to play Safety, but I would also give a lot of people a chance to take that position away from. Just for the fact that idealy you would like to have your safeties at least pretend to look like they can cover someone.

bricks
05-18-2005, 11:02 AM
It's a place that specializes in cheap steak.
Gristle at it's finest.

Gristler would be it's more appropriate name.

Thank you. Ok. They don't have a Gristler where I live. That's why I was asking.

keg in kc
05-18-2005, 11:02 AM
Hey, as long as he never sees the field outside of special teams, I don't care where they move him.

milkman
05-18-2005, 11:03 AM

I'm saying that if William Bartee doesn't come off extremely impressive at Backup Safety in camp, by the end of August, he'll be applying for a job as dishwasher at Cracker barrel, fry supervisor at Denny's, Buff technicial at the Jiffywash...

OK, what's the Cracker barrel?

Frankie
I'm about to duck! I actually hope he'll pan out and make Woods dispensible.
Hopefully in a trade for a 2006 draft choice.

jspchief
Seriously. I've never heard of it.It may have as much to do with your age as your location. I think they haven't been around in a while. It's just a sh*tty steak joint, imagine if fast food places served steak. Ever heard of Bonanza?

morphius
05-18-2005, 11:04 AM
For what, an 8th rounder? Seriously, I hope that was sarcasm.

Iowanian
05-18-2005, 11:04 AM
OK, what's the Cracker barrel?

Only the home of the best Breakfast combo skillet and Apple Cider.
If you've never eaten at one....don't miss your next oportunity. IMO its the KING of chain restaraunts.

jspchief
05-18-2005, 11:05 AM
OK, what's the Cracker barrel?When you turn 60, you're required to eat there weekly.

It's a "homestyle cooking" type restaraunt. Meatloaf, corn, etc. Good food if you miss mom's stuff.

bricks
05-18-2005, 11:05 AM

Just say McDonalds...It worldwide, it's easier. Everybody knows McDonald's. If he doesn't come off extremely impressive at backup Safety in camp, by the end of August, he'll be applying for a job flipping burgers at McDonalds.

COchief
05-18-2005, 11:07 AM
I want this fuggin jerkoff cut 6-1-05, and not a minute later. He is a piss poor football player who has had way too many chances already.

In two weeks it is Buh=bye burntee

Iowanian
05-18-2005, 11:07 AM

The only Draft near Arrowhead, involving Bartee will be the cool wooof of air from the door fanning his ass on the way out.

The Closest Thing Bartee will come to giving the Chiefs again, is if he leaves the lid down on the grill at the next company picnic and it takes 10 clicks to light...........WOOOOOOOOF.

Roll willy on the groun.....just grab his ears, the neck won't turn and the body will follow his head over.

Spicy McHaggis
05-18-2005, 11:08 AM
When you turn 60, you're required to eat there weekly.

It's a "homestyle cooking" type restaraunt. Meatloaf, corn, etc. Good food if you miss mom's stuff.

and biscuits.

Frankie
05-18-2005, 11:08 AM
For what, an 8th rounder? Seriously, I hope that was sarcasm.
Are you saying in a scenario in which Bartee turns out a good safety, Woods is untradable?

Iowanian
05-18-2005, 11:09 AM
Just say McDonalds...It worldwide, it's easier. Everybody knows McDonald's. If he doesn't come off extremely impressive at backup Safety in camp, by the end of August, he'll be applying for a job flipping burgers at McDonalds.

whoa whoa whoa miss lippy.........Bartee has FAR superior skills to those required for a fast food joint. He's far more qualified for the $8.95 Sunday buffet places, or 24hr breakfast fascilities. he's got IHOP written all over him.

Friggin Canadians.

Rain Man
05-18-2005, 11:10 AM
Moving him to safety is a great move. If nothing else, it'll keep him from playing cornerback.

Frankie
05-18-2005, 11:11 AM
The only Draft near Arrowhead, involving Bartee will be the cool wooof of air from the door fanning his ass on the way out.

The Closest Thing Bartee will come to giving the Chiefs again, is if he leaves the lid down on the grill at the next company picnic and it takes 10 clicks to light...........WOOOOOOOOF.

Roll willy on the groun.....just grab his ears, the neck won't turn and the body will follow his head over.

OK, but in the SciFi scenario in which..... Oh hell,... just read my previous post.

bricks
05-18-2005, 11:12 AM
It may have as much to do with your age as your location. I think they haven't been around in a while. It's just a sh*tty steak joint, imagine if fast food places served steak. Ever heard of Bonanza?

Never heard of that either. See where you guys are from there are a lot more steak houses. I would imagine it is barbecue country up there in the midwest. I'm from Canada not too many Steak houses up here. The only ones that come to my mind, are the most common ones throughout North America. Names like Outback steak house, Lone Star, Tony Romas.

Frankie
05-18-2005, 11:14 AM
Never heard of that either. See where you guys are from there are a lot more steak houses. I would imagine it is barbecue country up there in the midwest. I'm from Canada not too many Steak houses up here. The only ones that come to my mind, are the most common ones throughout North America. Names like Outback steak house, Lone Star, Tony Romas.
bricks,.... you have singlehandedly hijacked your own thread. :spank:

Skip Towne
05-18-2005, 11:19 AM
He'll make a fine greeter out at Wal-Mart.

milkman
05-18-2005, 11:21 AM
I want this fuggin jerkoff cut 6-1-05, and not a minute later. He is a piss poor football player who has had way too many chances already.

In two weeks it is Buh=bye burntee

I'm not trying to defend Bartee, but my money says that if Wesley had been the one converted to corner, rather than Bartee, he'd be the one that you'd be saying this about.

milkman
05-18-2005, 11:22 AM
He'll make a fine greeter out at Wal-Mart.

Not if he can't turn his head.

royr17
05-18-2005, 11:24 AM
I think he would be a pretty good Free Safety if they moved him to safety.

King_Chief_Fan
05-18-2005, 11:39 AM
move him to safety or out the door. my preference is the latter.

Bwana
05-18-2005, 11:39 AM
I don't know? Do you think the fact that the f*ckers neck won't turn will hurt his chances at safety as well?

morphius
05-18-2005, 11:44 AM
Are you saying in a scenario in which Bartee turns out a good safety, Woods is untradable?
I don't think anyone took that to be the meaning of your post. But, I doubt Woods has much value after last season.

milkman
05-18-2005, 11:44 AM
I don't know? Do you think the fact that the f*ckers neck won't turn will hurt his chances at safety as well?

I don't think that Bartee ever got comfortable at the corner position.
He was so thinking so much, and focusing so much on his man, he never allowed instincts to kick in.

Safety is his natural position.
It's what he played and learned in school.

Once he gets back in a comfort zone and plays instinctively again, I'm betting the stiff neck syndrome disappears.

TRR
05-18-2005, 11:47 AM
I think we have enough confusion at safety as it is. We have no idea where Knight, Wesley or Woods is going to end up. Reading Sammy Knight's interview, it sounded like Knight and Wesley were competing for the SS spot, and the FS spot belonged to someone else. (Which wasn't suppose to be the plan.)

Either way, Bartee gets buried on the depth chart.

dtebbe
05-18-2005, 11:48 AM
I think we should just move him... off the team. I suppose he could be qualified to be Carl's pissboy.

DT

Bwana
05-18-2005, 11:49 AM
I don't think that Bartee ever got comfortable at the corner position.
He was so thinking so much, and focusing so much on his man, he never allowed instincts to kick in.

Safety is his natural position.
It's what he played and learned in school.

Once he gets back in a comfort zone and plays instinctively again, I'm betting the stiff neck syndrome disappears.

I agree he has a better shot at doing "something" at safety, but I don't know if it will be enough to keep him from getting a one way bus ticket out of KC. I hope your right about the steel rod in his neck going away, but it would honestly surprise me if that were the case.

Frankie
05-18-2005, 11:49 AM
I don't think anyone took that to be the meaning of your post. But, I doubt Woods has much value after last season.

Oh, I bet if he shows that his offseason speed training has helped him some, we can get a 4th for him.

bricks
05-18-2005, 11:53 AM

His neck won't turn as much. He's a natural safety. His job has more to do with reading the quarterbacks eyes than anything. Bartee's problem playing CB, was, he played that position as if he was playing safety. He would constantly look at the quarterbacks eyes and next thing you know the receivers we're 6, 7 steps ahead of him. He would then turn his neck, and zoom gone those guys were. I'm confident in Bartee's hitting and tackling ability. Those days when Woods would hit hard, and tackle are long gone. I think we need a lot more intensity in our secondary. Not to take anything away from guys like Surtain, and Knight. When I say intensity, I mean guys that can hit, and tackle.
I think Bartee can bring that to the table. He's not much of a ball hawk, and it doesn't matter. Surtain, Knight, and Warfield makeup for Bartee's slack.

*I'm hoping for one thing from William Bartee, when receivers cross the middle of the field, I hope he can strike fear into those receivers, and make them think twice about catching a ball. If he can do that, I'm all for having him as the starting free safety.

CoMoChief
05-18-2005, 11:59 AM
Yes Bartee needs to move to safety, but he needs to play safety somewhere else. He's a god damn cancer on the field.

On a side note, hasn't Bartee been in this league since '98 or '99, and has yet to get his 1st INT in a game? If thats true, thats just ****in horrible. You would think that he would be in the right place at the right time for something, but no, when Bartee steps onto the field he is like a deer in headlights, he just doesn't know how to play a lick of defense at the CB position. He may do better at safety, but he probably couldnt even make a High School Varsity squad at CB.

milkman
05-18-2005, 12:04 PM
His neck won't turn as much. He's a natural safety. His job has more to do with reading the quarterbacks eyes than anything. Bartee's problem playing CB, was, he played that position as if he was playing safety. He would constantly look at the quarterbacks eyes and next thing you know the receivers we're 6, 7 steps ahead of him. He would then turn his neck, and zoom gone those guys were.

OK Yoda.
I really thought the bigger issue for Bartee was how often he was in position to make a play on the ball, but never turned his head to see the ball.

JakeT
05-18-2005, 01:05 PM
When evaluating Bartee - I think we need to remember how closely related corner and safety can be in the nfl. For example, in a cover 3, typically two safeties and one cb are responsible for the deep 1/3s. So depending on the set up Bartee or Warfield would have essentially been playing safety.

In cover 2, a cb normally tries to move his man inside and "mans up" on the w/o inside his zone if his side ends up being weak.

We all know Bartee has issues with man to man coverage - he can run step for step with the w/o and I think he does a good job of not looking in the backfield (unlike Warfield) he just can NOT at all get a read from the receiver to figure out when the ball is there.

However, in a strong side cover 2, the cornerback must again play like a safety and read the qb and play a zone -- especially when facing a typical high low attack.

My personal opinion of Bartee is that has some athletic ability he is good in run support, he can't read receivers and he can't read plays.

I bet Gun can find a place for him in the secondary in special situations where he can excel, but - he will not however all of the sudden become a great safety. We've seen enough of him to know how he plays.

Spicy McHaggis
05-18-2005, 01:15 PM
Bartee might be a good fit at safety especially if he got to play closer to the line up in the box. In coverage I'm going to have my doubts till he brings down his first int.

Edit: why not send Battle to safety while we're at it. It's looking like he's going to be Bartee in a few years at this rate.

Bowser
05-18-2005, 01:23 PM
I have found you really have to pick and choose which Iowanian post you want to rep, because you don't know when the next gem will appear.

buddha
05-18-2005, 01:28 PM
Bartee can hit and tackle. He's probably the best at doing that than anybody else in our secondary. I know he's awful in man-to-man coverage, but, I think he has the ability read the QB's eyes and play zone real well. I agree with you, he does not have a knack for making plays. That doesn't matter anyway. We got Knight, Surtain, and Warfield. Those guys can make plenty of plays themselves.

He can? You must be watching different games than I do because I have observed that Bartee can't seem to do anything well in the secondary. I think safety is the only chance he has to contribute at this point, but who sits if he's going to get any snaps at all? The Chiefs have to finally admit that they fell in love with his measurables and didn't realize that he had no instincts at all and plays football on his heels.