PDA

View Full Version : Boston, Mitchell, Rice

Wile_E_Coyote
05-18-2005, 11:42 AM
You need to sign one of these WRs & they will get on the field on game day. The money is the same for all three. Who do you sign?

beer bacon
05-18-2005, 11:43 AM
You need to sign one of these WRs & they will get on the field on game day. The money is the same for all three. Who do you sign?

I choose ritual suicide.

Goapics1
05-18-2005, 11:44 AM

Jerry Rice, greatest receiver of all-time..................back in the day.

TRR
05-18-2005, 11:44 AM
I would sign Freddie Mitchell. Mitchell isn't ancient (Jerry Rice) and isn't a steroid abuser (David Boston). Mitchell could step in and put up Morton's production IMHO. However, would he keep his mouth shut while doing it?

We really don't have an arrogant WR. It may be a good thing. Then again...maybe not.

TRR
05-18-2005, 11:45 AM
BTW, there are a couple of WR's out there that will be released after June 1st. Peter Warrick being one of them.

Wile_E_Coyote
05-18-2005, 11:46 AM
I choose ritual suicide.

Fin fans are giddy at the thought of re-signing Boston. I need some perspective

Mr. Laz
05-18-2005, 11:46 AM
rice...

if nothing else he helps teach our young receivers how to play the game AND HOW to work hard.

Adept Havelock
05-18-2005, 11:49 AM
If I have to take one, I'll take the only non-locker room cancer Rice.

And let him play 4'th WR.

Frankie
05-18-2005, 11:50 AM
Isaac Bruce

TRR
05-18-2005, 11:51 AM
Boston just has so many problems. I remember reading that article about him in ESPN where he hides away in his trainers room after practices, and nobody knows what he's doing in there, etc. David Boston is a weird dude.

As for adding Rice, I wouldn't mind it one bit. But I want to get younger at WR. I don't want to sign Rice, and have him come in and start just because he is Jerry Rice. Mitchell could come in and COMPETE with Parker and Boe. Rice would almost automatically want to start, or be the 3rd WR.

alpha_omega
05-18-2005, 11:54 AM
BTW, there are a couple of WR's out there that will be released after June 1st. Peter Warrick being one of them.

Peter Warrick sounds like a better option that any of these 3. IMO

bricks
05-18-2005, 12:01 PM

He's going to demand a lot more money, and we hardly have any cap space left to sign him. Rice sounds like a possiblity and a better fit for the Chiefs. I would imagine, Rice wouldn't cost much. Probably the veteran minimum. I'd love to have him teach Parker, and Thorpe a few things.

TRR
05-18-2005, 12:01 PM

I agree...but will he be a cheaper option?

CoMoChief
05-18-2005, 12:04 PM
Is he getting released for salary cap reasons, like the reason Surtain left Miami?

PastorMikH
05-18-2005, 12:05 PM
Of that group, I'd go with Rice. He isn't the Rice of 15 years ago, but he still has to be accounted for by defenses - something not required of many of our WRs in the last couple of years. Also, he has enough experience that he could provide some quality on-field teaching for our younger WRs.

Picking up Jerry Rice cheap wouldn't hurt my feelings. (And I wouldn't be suprised if a 45 year old Rice still puts up better #s than Morton could.)

HemiEd
05-18-2005, 12:09 PM
Gaz is the only sensible option here. :rolleyes:

Rain Man
05-18-2005, 12:11 PM
Rice is slower than I am now, and Mitchell is a non-factor. I don't know if Boston is a shriveled up husk now, but he was a decent receiver even before he overdosed on the steroids. I'd go with the head case.

Bowser
05-18-2005, 12:11 PM
I agree...but will he be a cheaper option?

Why wouldn't he be? I remember hearing his name a whole lot more when he was at Florida State. Or, give him an incentive laden contract.

I would be quite happy with Warrick, but if Isaac Bruce gets released, Vermeil would have a tough time not bringing him in. And I'd be happy with that, too.

Mr. Kotter
05-18-2005, 12:12 PM
If Warrick or Bruce turn out to be our only post June1st options, CP better FIND the money for one of them....or we are fooked!

I like Parker, and hope Bo can come back from the injury; but Thorpe is probably at least a year away from being a productive NFL WR.

A WR corp of that includes some number of Kennison, Parker, Hall, Boerigter, Horn, Smith, Hill and Thorpe isn't gonna scare many secondaries. Not at all. Do we really wanna go into the season with Kennison and Parker as our wide-outs, with Hall or Bo as our slot? :shake:

A healthy Kris Wilson may help take the pressure off, but Carl needs to do something at WR.

Bowser
05-18-2005, 12:12 PM
Oh, isn't David Boston looking at a four game suspension if he comes back next year?

TRR
05-18-2005, 12:13 PM
Why wouldn't he be? I remember hearing his name a whole lot more when he was at Florida State. Or, give him an incentive laden contract.

I would be quite happy with Warrick, but if Isaac Bruce gets released, Vermeil would have a tough time not bringing him in. And I'd be happy with that, too.

Warrick wouldn't come as cheap because he's actually had a few decent seasons, and he is still young. He's just not what the Bengals wanted him to be.

Goapics1
05-18-2005, 12:14 PM
I believe Mr. Boston will be off the market shortly.
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7897509/

PastorMikH
05-18-2005, 12:16 PM
A healthy Kris Wilson may help take the pressure off, but Carl needs to do something at WR.

I am curious as to why there is so much confidence placed on Wilson. What has he done on the field during regular season to warrant such confidence? Tony Gonzales without foot problems will take the pressure off the WRs.

(PastorMikH is just thinking players should prove themselves before being called a savior)

BTW, I'd be all for Isaac Bruce as well, though I would imagine that he will want more $ than we can afford. He would probably be my top WR selection, but the poll here didn't give him as an option.

Brock
05-18-2005, 12:19 PM
Tony Gonzalez is the key receiver and always has been in this offense. None of those guys brings anything at all to the table that the Chiefs don't already have.

TRR
05-18-2005, 12:23 PM
Tony Gonzalez is the key receiver and always has been in this offense. None of those guys brings anything at all to the table that the Chiefs don't already have.

I agree that Tony Gonzalez is the key, however I don't agree that either 3 of these don't bring something we don't already have. All 3 of the WR's listed bring experience as a starter in the NFL. Parker has played in a total of 4...count em' 4 games in the NFL.

We need another vet if Morton is released.

Skip Towne
05-18-2005, 12:54 PM
I'll just go with the majority as I don't think any of those 3 bring anything we can use.

Kerberos
05-18-2005, 01:11 PM
Oh, isn't David Boston looking at a four game suspension if he comes back next year?

Even if he wasn't ... we would have a hard time getting him away from the mirror long enough to go out and play some football on Sunday.

I have read that he is really impressed with himself and has to look at himself in the mirror constantly to keep himself satisfied with how he looks!

Yea we really need that kind of dickhead in the locker room .... NOT!

Just IMO.

:D

Coogs
05-18-2005, 01:12 PM
Here could be another option for a wide-out...

http://www.hailredskins.com/

Main News...OTA's Begin, Taylor Absent
(5/18) The Redskins will begin OTA's (Organized Team Activities) today. This is the first opportunity the Redskins have to begin implementing offensive changes that HC Joe Gibbs plans to bring to his offense, as well as, ingratiate new members, such as C Casey Rabach, WR Santana Moss, and WR David Patten into the mix of the Gibbs offense.
The Redskins still have off-season issue to deal within the front office. WR Rod Gardner has not been traded yet, and the Redskins may be forced to release him, to open salary cap space for the rookie pool of money.

Kerberos
05-18-2005, 01:16 PM
Here could be another option for a wide-out...

http://www.hailredskins.com/

Main News...OTA's Begin, Taylor Absent
(5/18) The Redskins will begin OTA's (Organized Team Activities) today. This is the first opportunity the Redskins have to begin implementing offensive changes that HC Joe Gibbs plans to bring to his offense, as well as, ingratiate new members, such as C Casey Rabach, WR Santana Moss, and WR David Patten into the mix of the Gibbs offense.
The Redskins still have off-season issue to deal within the front office. WR Rod Gardner has not been traded yet, and the Redskins may be forced to release him, to open salary cap space for the rookie pool of money.

I brought up Gardner a while back when he was looking for a trade... allot on here thought he was yet another guy that has NOT lived up to his potential and would be just another underachiever looking for a new home.

I think we need someone that has some more immediate potential... Dunn or Bruce would be two solid WR to replace Morton IMO.

Spicy McHaggis
05-18-2005, 01:25 PM
Is he getting released for salary cap reasons, like the reason Surtain left Miami?

I imagine it has alot to do with the emergence of TJ and even more with the drafting of Chris Henry

TRR
05-18-2005, 01:28 PM
I imagine it has alot to do with the emergence of TJ and even more with the drafting of Chris Henry

I think that is exactly it. However, the Bungals drafted Peter Warrick for the same reason KC signed Johnnie Morton. Both teams wanted a 1,000 yard WR, and both have disappointed. Warrick had a good season last year, but it wasn't a 1,000 yard season. To put it simply, Warrick hasn't lived up to the hype.

Brock
05-18-2005, 01:44 PM
I agree that Tony Gonzalez is the key, however I don't agree that either 3 of these don't bring something we don't already have. All 3 of the WR's listed bring experience as a starter in the NFL. Parker has played in a total of 4...count em' 4 games in the NFL.

We need another vet if Morton is released.

Rice is too old to make any serious contribution. David Boston hasn't played a full season in years, and is an asshole to boot. Freddie Mitchell is short on ability and long on talking about it. There's nothing there.

TRR
05-18-2005, 01:49 PM
Rice is too old to make any serious contribution. David Boston hasn't played a full season in years, and is an asshole to boot. Freddie Mitchell is short on ability and long on talking about it. There's nothing there.

I disagree with every point you make. Rice was decently productive last season (and your nuts if you don't think adding the best WR to ever play adds nothing). And although Mitchell acted like an idiot, he's still put up twice the numbers Parker has, and has twice the starts (yeah I know). Boston is off the market.

go bowe
05-18-2005, 01:57 PM
if samie parker can learn to block as effectively as morton, then i think he could handle starting by the end of the year, if not at the beginning of the season...

and, of course, there's bo (assuming he comes off his knee injury at 100%)... :D :D :D

ct
05-18-2005, 02:04 PM
I am curious as to why there is so much confidence placed on Wilson. What has he done on the field during regular season to warrant such confidence? Tony Gonzales without foot problems will take the pressure off the WRs.

(PastorMikH is just thinking players should prove themselves before being called a savior)

BTW, I'd be all for Isaac Bruce as well, though I would imagine that he will want more $ than we can afford. He would probably be my top WR selection, but the poll here didn't give him as an option.

Releasing Johnny Johnson in 2 weeks creates $2.4M cap space. I think we could squeeze Bruce, if released, into that number year 1.

TRR
05-18-2005, 02:08 PM
Releasing Johnny Johnson in 2 weeks creates $2.4M cap space. I think we could squeeze Bruce, if released, into that number year 1.

Problem is Isaac Bruce doesn't really care for Vermeil.

Kerberos
05-18-2005, 02:09 PM

And don't forget that we have some players coming up next season that can either be let go or given new contracts...

Ryan Simms being one of them that if he doesn't come out and play with passion and get after the damn ball I say they will release him without even saying goodbye.

I am sure thier are more ... I just don't know who else is up on thier contracts in the next couple of seasons ... Simms just comes to mind cause he is a gonner if he don't produce ... BIG TIME!

A few pieces of dead weight cut loose will bring up some more cap room to sign some players that matter.

KCChiefsMan
05-18-2005, 02:37 PM
I'd take Rice, he's a leader and he could still produce a little at least. If he could take all of our WRs through his intense off-season workouts this summer I'd be down for that

Braincase
05-18-2005, 02:41 PM
I think I'd end up with Priest/Larry, TRich & Kris Wilson playing out of the freakin' wishbone before I made that choice.

Nah... I'd take Rice.

TRR
05-18-2005, 02:44 PM
Some NFL guy on 810 Sports reported that Rice will eventually sign with the 49ers and retire FWIW.

buddha
05-18-2005, 02:49 PM
Boston was still a very good receiver prior to the steriods. In fact, he was better. However, I don't think any of the three are good options. Rice has nothing left in the tank and Mitchell just plain sucks.

KCChiefsMan
05-18-2005, 02:50 PM
so I'm going to assume we cut Morton. So that would leave us with:
Kennison
Hall
Parker
Thorpe
Bo (if he can come back)
Horn
McIntyre (sp?)

If Bo can come back then I think we cut or PS Thorpe, McIntyre

It would probably come down to Horn/Thorpe making the rost for the 5th

If Bo cannot come back than we will need Parker to start so we can have someone to stretch the field.

It should be interesting to see what happens after June 1st. I think we really need to cut Morton than sign a cap casualty who can produce for us

Dave Lane
05-18-2005, 02:55 PM
E. None of the above.

Dave

Coogs
05-18-2005, 02:58 PM
If we must pick up a WR, I still think Gardner might be a good option. He played for 3 HC's (Marty, Spurrier, and Gibs) in 4 years. Probably just as many starting QB's.... none of whom were good at the time.

Wile_E_Coyote
05-18-2005, 04:35 PM
over at finheaven the're asking where they can buy Boston jerseys. I can't see anything special about Boston. And according to this poll, few here do either.

On Rice I forgot he came with the vet $$ kick back, though I don't know how much that is

Ultra Peanut
05-18-2005, 04:38 PM
Isaac BruceI like the way you talk, mmhmm.

saturnknts
05-18-2005, 09:13 PM
i say bring in rice and then see if joe wants to come out of retirement LOL

ChiefFripp
05-18-2005, 09:18 PM
I we cut Morton and get Isaac Bruce, we're SB bound.
If no major injuries occur.

Nzoner
05-18-2005, 10:12 PM
Some NFL guy on 810 Sports reported that Rice will eventually sign with the 49ers and retire FWIW.

Adam Schefter was just saying on NFL Network that preliminary talks have begun with Rice & The Broncos.

Frankie
05-18-2005, 11:37 PM

Wha...??

I bet you mean Johnny Morton.

BIG_DADDY
05-18-2005, 11:41 PM
Boston, more upside potential.

Frankie
05-18-2005, 11:41 PM
I like the way you talk, mmhmm.
I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that reaction!
:p