PDA

View Full Version : I'm already sick of this Star Wars overhype.

JimNasium
05-18-2005, 01:22 PM
Let it go geeks……let it go. There are much more important things in life such as sex, beer, football and barbeque. This ****ing movie is not going to be a life-changing experience. In fact, it's probably more of a chick deterrent than anything.

keg in kc
05-18-2005, 01:24 PM
Somehow I doubt it's the film itself that's the chick deterrent.

JimNasium
05-18-2005, 01:25 PM
ROFL I was actually referencing the requisite paraphernalia that tends to belong to the hardcore fan.

Bowser
05-18-2005, 01:25 PM
How do you know there won't be sex, beer, football, and b-b-q?

keg in kc
05-18-2005, 01:26 PM
I was actually referencing the requisite paraphernalia that tends to belong to the hardcore fan.Oh, come on, what woman isn't turned on by a four foot lighted phallic symbol.

JimNasium
05-18-2005, 01:29 PM
How do you know there won't be sex, beer, football, and b-b-q?
Exhibit A (http://www.thinkgeek.com/cubegoodies/toys/69de/)

The Jedi Negotiation Tool Available In A Galaxy Near You

This isn't a toy for your six year old cousin (he probably doesn't even know what planet Wookies live on). This is an official reproduction of real Lightsabers from Star Wars. "Real lightsabers?", you might be thinking, "Star Wars isn't real!". Tell that to the masses who dress up every day as Darth Vader and Princess Leia across the globe, tell that to the folks who build droid replicas in their garages, study Sith history, and practice their Huttese. Star Wars is very real. And these working lightsabers make that extremely apparent. Featuring realistic lighting and sound effects, these close combat weapons of the Jedi and Sith from the Star Wars saga are absolutely amazing, features include:

* Glowing blades ignites with realistic power-up/down effects!
* Authentic sound effects digitally recorded from the movie.
* Features four motion sensor controlled sound effects, Power-up, idle hum, clash, and power-down
* Durable metal hilt looks and feels like a real lightsaber.
* Sturdy blade is permanently attached to the hilt
* Comes with a custom-designed display stand when you need a break from dueling.

Sure fear might lead to anger, anger leads to hate, and hate leads to suffering. But a quicker path to suffering includes not getting one of these striking Lightsabers!

The choice you make will determine your destiny:

* Dark Side - Darth Vader - Red Blade - (episode V Empire Strikes Back)
* Light Side - Anakin Skywalker - Blue Blade - (episode III Revenge of the Sith)

Star Wars FX Lightsaber Mini-FAQ:

Q: Is the Force FX lightsaber a licensed collectible?:
A: Absolutely. The Force FX lightsaber is indeed a licensed collectible approved and endorsed by Lucasfilm Ltd. As a collectible, the Force FX lightsaber is not a toy and it is not suitable for children under 12 years of age. Adult supervision is recommended.

Q: Is the Force FX lightsaber a limited edition prop replica?:
A: No. Although the design of the Force FX lightsaber is faithful to the look of the movie prop, it is not an exact replica. The hilt of the lightsaber was made slightly larger than the actual movie prop in order to accommodate the electronics that control the light and sound effects. The Force FX lightsaber collectibles are not limited to a pre-determined edition size therefore they are not classified as limited edition replicas.

Q: What is the blade on the Force FX lightsaber made of?:
A: The Force FX lightsaber features a permanently attached polycarbonate blade. Once activated, the blade glows brightly and the replica plays back digitally recorded sound effects taken directly from the film.

Q: Is the blade on the Force FX lightsaber removable?:
A: No, the blade is not removable or retractable. There are a number of wires and electronics systems in the blade that would not be as durable or reliable if we made the blade removable.

Q: How do the light and sound effects work in the Force FX lightsaber?:
A: The Force FX lightsaber incorporates two motion sensors which sense both the motion of the blade as well as when it comes in contact with something. An on-board, multi-channel chip is programmed with digital sound effects originally created for the movie by Skywalker Sound. The Force FX lightsaber replicates the following sound effects:
# Power-up
# Idle hum
# Swing (with pitch change)
# Clash
# Power-down

Q: How long will the light in the Force FX lightsaber last?:
A: It should run for several hours on a fresh set of batteries. The electronics, if cared for properly, should last for several thousand hours of use. Replace the batteries whenever the performance begins to change, such as reduced brightness or volume.

Q: Can I use my Force FX lightsaber for dueling?:
A: This product should not be used to strike others. Although the blade is very durable, it should never be used for fighting or dueling. The Force FX lightsaber was produced as a collectible; it was not intended for dueling. That said, we've had several successful Lightsaber battles here at the ThinkGeek offices. How can you resist especially with the 'clash' sound effects that occur when the blade strikes another object?

ThinkGeek is not responsible should any customers who purchase this Lightsaber turn to the dark side. Nor are we responsible should you not contain sufficient Mitochlorians in your blood system to engage the force without reckless abandon.

I rest my case.

Count Alex's Losses
05-18-2005, 01:33 PM
ROFL I was actually referencing the requisite paraphernalia that tends to belong to the hardcore fan.

I have less than ten action figures. Swear to god!

buddha
05-18-2005, 01:34 PM

One of the funniest posts I've read in a long, long time! Thanks keg (still cleaning up the drink I spit all over my computer screen!)

:clap:

JimNasium
05-18-2005, 01:36 PM
What about the trading cards, posters, sound tracks, and Burger King toys? Face it, until you give up this childhood facination you are doomed to a life of fat, ugly girls who have given up hope that something better will come along.

Donger
05-18-2005, 01:37 PM
Face it, until you give up this childhood facination you are doomed to a life of fat, ugly girls who have given up hope that something better will come along.

Or not even them.

Goapics1
05-18-2005, 01:38 PM
Let it go geeks……let it go. There are much more important things in life such as sex, beer, football and barbeque. This ****ing movie is not going to be a life-changing experience. In fact, it's probably more of a chick deterrent than anything.

Amen brother.

keg in kc
Face it, until you give up this childhood facination you are doomed to a life of fat, ugly girls who have given up hope that something better will come along.Now you understand his devotion to celibacy.

JimNasium
Or not even them.
Okay, okay.....fat ugly boys who have given up hope that something better will come along.

Saulbadguy
05-18-2005, 01:40 PM
What about the trading cards, posters, sound tracks, and Burger King toys? Face it, until you give up this childhood facination you are doomed to a life of fat, ugly girls who have given up hope that something better will come along.
Trading cards...a few. Posters, nope. Sound tracks, check. Action figures, check. I've got a whole trunkload of Star Wars stuff...but it hasn't left the trunk for a couple years now.

Bootlegged
05-18-2005, 01:41 PM
I've never seen the original Star Wars, and don't plan on watching the rest. I wish this, along with Duhneice, would just die.

Count Alex's Losses
05-18-2005, 01:44 PM
Let it go geeks……let it go.

"I can....get it!"

http://img72.echo.cx/img72/6893/indiana17gt.jpg

http://img72.echo.cx/img72/9030/indiana25sf.jpg

Nzoner
05-18-2005, 01:46 PM
I've never seen the original Star Wars, and don't plan on watching the rest. I wish this, along with Duhneice, would just die.

Holy shit,and I thought having only seen the first one was doing good.

My congratulations.

Count Alex's Losses
05-18-2005, 01:47 PM
What about the trading cards

None.

posters

Guilty as charged.

sound tracks

Sure, but they are fantastic scores! Legendary!

Burger King toys

None.

Saulbadguy
05-18-2005, 01:47 PM
You have chosen.....wisely.

Brock
05-18-2005, 01:48 PM
Another topic about it is just what the board needs.

Saulbadguy
05-18-2005, 01:48 PM
Those who haven't seen any of them can be part of the few people in the world who can watch Episodes 1-6, in order. That would be...mind blowing.

Count Alex's Losses
05-18-2005, 01:49 PM
Those who haven't seen any of them can be part of the few people in the world who can watch Episodes 1-6, in order. That would be...mind blowing.

No kidding. Thought I still wonder if IV-VI I-III isn't the best order...to preserve the shock.

JimNasium
05-18-2005, 01:49 PM
Another topic about it is just what the board needs.
I'm happy I could be of assistance.

Nzoner
05-18-2005, 01:50 PM

Yep,about 2 hours in a gun to the temple should do the trick.

Dartgod
05-18-2005, 01:50 PM
Really? 'Cause these two look like they could bag any babe they wanted...anytime.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/action/large/210e68e.jpg

Saulbadguy
05-18-2005, 01:51 PM
No kidding. Thought I still wonder if IV-VI I-III isn't the best order...to preserve the shock.
Even if you haven't seen any of them, its hard not to know that Darth Vader is Lukes father. "I am your father..." is one of the most recognized Star Wars quotes out there.

Count Alex's Losses
05-18-2005, 01:53 PM
Even if you haven't seen any of them, its hard not to know that Darth Vader is Lukes father. "I am your father..." is one of the most recognized Star Wars quotes out there.

Well yeah, but I'm talking about people that don't know that. Like your future offspring (its a foregone conclusion I won't be reproducing).

Dartgod
05-18-2005, 01:55 PM
its hard not to know that Darth Vader is Lukes father. "I am your father..." is one of the most recognized Star Wars quotes out there.
Whaaat the...

Thanks for ruining it for me, asshole.

JimNasium
05-18-2005, 01:55 PM
Whaaat the...

ROFL That's some funny shite right there.

Nzoner
05-18-2005, 01:57 PM
Let it go geeks……let it go. There are much more important things in life such as sex, beer, football rock-n-roll and barbeque. This ****ing movie is not going to be a life-changing experience. In fact, it's probably more of a chick deterrent than anything.

Fixed your post clay :toast:

Count Alex's Losses
05-18-2005, 01:59 PM
Whaaat the...

jspchief
05-18-2005, 02:00 PM
Somewhere, there's a Star Wars BB with a thread laughing at "football geeks", posting pictures like this:

Donger
05-18-2005, 02:00 PM
(its a foregone conclusion I won't be reproducing).

Only because you insist on living in a fantasy world where you'd rather ejaculate in a crowded theater instead of in a girl.

Saulbadguy
05-18-2005, 02:01 PM
I was thinking of that scene, but of course didn't have the picture.

Saulbadguy
05-18-2005, 02:02 PM
Somewhere, there's a Star Wars BB with a thread laughing at "football geeks", posting pictures like this:
If you give them lightsabers, they would look pretty much the same.

|Zach|
05-18-2005, 02:02 PM
Heyooo!

Skip Towne
05-18-2005, 02:03 PM
I haven't seen any of them either and I plan to keep it that way. Just looking at who the fans are is enough to keep me away. I'm spending more time on other boards till this ignorant shit goes away.

shakesthecat
05-18-2005, 02:03 PM

He
The guy in the grey pullover and jeans has some serious issues.

Count Alex's Losses
05-18-2005, 02:04 PM
If you give them lightsabers, they would look pretty much the same.

If you give Stevieray a flowing cape he looks kinda like a white Lando Calrissian.

Count Alex's Losses
05-18-2005, 02:04 PM
I'm spending more time on other boards till this ignorant shit goes away.

Keep up the good work guys!

Saulbadguy
05-18-2005, 02:08 PM
If you give Stevieray a flowing cape he looks kinda like a white Lando Calrissian.
Thats true. Weirdwolf is definately your Chewbacca of the group. X-Factor reminds me of See Threepio. The red dude..well...http://www.starwars.jp/character/image/admiral_ackbar.jpg

|Zach|
ha

Skip Towne
Keep up the good work guys!
On second thought, if it irritates you, I'll hang around.

Wrasse
05-18-2005, 02:09 PM
/lol/

...sweet irony...

Count Alex's Losses
05-18-2005, 02:09 PM
On second thought, if it irritates you, I'll hang around.

Awesome! You're a funny guy!

Simplex3
05-18-2005, 02:11 PM
Man, and you wonder why your hand keeps telling you it has a headache... :shake:

Skip Towne
05-18-2005, 02:14 PM
Man, and you wonder why your hand keeps telling you it has a headache... :shake:
Hahahahahahahaahahaha. Rep to you.

|Zach|
05-18-2005, 02:16 PM
Skip, why not cut out all the games and just ask GoChiefs on a date already?

You could save the rest of the board from having to read your foreplay tactics.

JimNasium
05-18-2005, 02:18 PM

Damn, first Psicosis, now Skip. Who the **** is next, Big Daddy?

Predarat
05-18-2005, 02:19 PM
Drink some beer, BBQ, drink some more beer, go to the movie, drink some more beer, invite a girl over and put on Attack of the clones, drink some more beer, by this time the girl is so bored with attack of the clones your getting laid, drink some more beer. There isnt much NFL going on right now so thats not that big of a factor.

|Zach|
05-18-2005, 02:20 PM
Damn, first Psicosis, now Skip. Who the **** is next, Big Daddy?

This is one wacky message board.

Count Alex's Losses
05-18-2005, 02:24 PM

What? LESS than ten!

Skip Towne
05-18-2005, 02:26 PM

OK, in your case I'll change tacts. Bend over fat boy.

|Zach|
05-18-2005, 02:29 PM
OK, in your case I'll change tacts. Bend over fat boy.:doh!: ROFL

Count Alex's Losses
05-18-2005, 02:30 PM
OK, in your case I'll change tacts. Bend over fat boy.

Looks like Zach is about to get a lightsaber up his darkside.

Simplex3
05-18-2005, 02:34 PM
What? LESS than ten!
Thats what, one for every three years of your life?

Note to GoatCheeze:

YOU LIVE AT HOME. YOU HAVE NO FEMALE PROSPECTS. YOUR FASCINATION WITH THIS CRAP MIGHT HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH THOSE FACTS.

Saulbadguy
05-18-2005, 02:34 PM
I see you have constructed a new lightsaber.

Heh. When I was a kid, I called them "Life Savers".

|Zach|
05-18-2005, 02:44 PM

I went a long long time not actually knowing which one it was.

Count Alex's Losses
05-18-2005, 02:48 PM

Gah! I don't know why but I've always known they were "lightsabers." Consequently I couldn't stand people who said "lifesaver."

Today this has evolved into a hate for people that spell it "lightsabre."

tk13
05-18-2005, 03:05 PM
You know, there was a feature story on our local PBS station about the Stars Wars convention in Indianapolis a few weeks ago, I was really shocked by the amount of females that were there. Some of them weren't too bad looking either. Thinking about it though, I don't think liking Stars Wars really affects the dating stuff all that much, there are really just as many female "geeks" as male geeks out there. I'm sure some people here married women who didn't like/had very little interest in football before you met them, it's just how it goes.

Donger
05-18-2005, 03:07 PM
I must admit, I do recall that I really liked the concept of the lightsabre.

Of course, I was 7 at the time.

HemiEd
05-18-2005, 03:15 PM

That is hilarious, rep!

Count Alex's Losses
05-18-2005, 03:16 PM
I must admit, I do recall that I really liked the concept of the lightsabre.

Of course, I was 7 at the time.

Asshole. ROFL

Nzoner
05-18-2005, 03:21 PM
I'm sure some people here married women who didn't like/had very little interest in football before you met them, it's just how it goes.

I married a woman who had no interest in NASCAR whatsoever and now she's consumed with it.

Dammit!!Why me.

tk13
05-18-2005, 03:25 PM
I married a woman who had no interest in NASCAR whatsoever and now she's consumed with it.

Dammit!!Why me.
Yep, see, one of these days gochiefs might find himself a woman and she'll become so enamored with Star Wars she won't have sex with him unless he's wearing his Boba Fett outfit.

Bowser
05-18-2005, 03:41 PM
Yep, see, one of these days gochiefs might find himself a woman and she'll become so enamored with Star Wars she won't have sex with him unless he's wearing his Boba Fett outfit.

But what will she say when she finds out he has sex WITH the Boba Fett outfit?

Jenson71
05-18-2005, 05:26 PM
I can't tell for sure why Star Wars has been such a huge hit. It must be more than "it was something exciting and new in those days" because kids today enjoy it. Oh well, I just know that I never understood the craze for it.

Count Alex's Losses
05-18-2005, 05:31 PM
I can't tell for sure why Star Wars has been such a huge hit.

'cause it's ****ing awesome, that's why. Duh. :)

Jenson71
05-18-2005, 05:44 PM
'cause it's ****ing awesome, that's why. Duh. :)

Well that's what the general consensus is.

I was just reading Ebert's Great Movie review of Star Wars:

"The film philosophies that will live forever are the simplest-seeming ones. They may have profound depths, but their surfaces are as clear to an audience as a beloved old story. The way I know this is because the stories that seem immortal -- ”The Odyssey,'' “Don Quixote,'' “David Copperfield,'' “Huckleberry Finn'' -- are all the same: A brave but flawed hero, a quest, colorful people and places, sidekicks, the discovery of life's underlying truths. If I were asked to say with certainty which movies will still be widely-known a century or two from now, I would list “2001: A Space Odyssey,'' and “The Wizard of Oz,'' and Keaton and Chaplin, and Astaire and Rogers, and probably “Casablanca''. . . and “Star Wars,'' for sure."

Interesting choices for that last part. Keaton, Astaire and Rogers are quickly being forgotten about right now. 2001: A Space Odyssey? Hmm....

Skip Towne
05-18-2005, 05:44 PM
'cause it's ****ing ignorant, that's why. Duh. :)
Fixed

Count Alex's Losses
05-18-2005, 05:45 PM
Ebert pretty much nailed it. Star Wars is the mythology of our time.

Count Alex's Losses
05-18-2005, 05:46 PM
I need to be fixed

Yes, you do.

beer bacon
05-18-2005, 05:52 PM
I don't know about Star Wars being the mythology of our time, but here is why I love it. I grew up loving Star Wars. I remember the Star Wars trilogy being shown during the holidays. I remember always watching the Empire Strikes Back when I went to my cousin's, since that was the one my family didn't have. I have lots of fond memories I associate with Star Wars.

More so, I can still sit down and watch any of the originals and still get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Watching the movies is not only nostalgic for me, they are also the paradigm for all other action and science fiction/fantasy movies. I still get excited watching Luke fighting Vader, the battle at Hoth, the rescue from Jabba etc..

For the two reasons above, I love the Star Wars trilogy, and manage to convince myself time after time that the new episode coming out won't suck.

Skip Towne
05-18-2005, 05:53 PM
Yes, you do.
Pretty weak there, Gocheeks.

Count Alex's Losses
05-18-2005, 05:54 PM
More so, I can still sit down and watch any of the originals and still get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Watching the movies is not only nostalgic for me, they are also the paradigm for all other action and science fiction/fantasy movies. I still get excited watching Luke fighting Vader, the battle at Hoth, the rescue from Jabba etc..

Yup. They have really stood the test of time. In some ways, I prefer the old-skool flava of ILM's special effects when they were just breaking ground.