PDA

View Full Version : Next Gen Madden Impressions

ZootedGranny
05-18-2005, 04:20 PM
I can't WAIT for Madden 06 on the 360 now:

E3 2005: Madden Next Gen
Shaun Alexander and the Seahawks shown in the new demo.
by Jon Robinson
May 18, 2005 - Shaun Alexander has a scar on his chin. I noticed it when I was interviewing him Super Bowl week, and I noticed it once again during the Madden 360 demo where he is the featured player.

And for anyone who wondered what EA would do with the exclusive NFL license, it's in details like the scar where it pays off.

Because of the exclusive licensing deal, EA has been granted unprecedented access to the NFL players, and have actually used head-scan technology for 150 of the top players in the league. And the results are simply unbelievable. From the scar on Alexander's chin to the scratches on his neck to the cut of his hair to the red in the corner of his eyes, if you've seen Shaun Alexander in real life, you'll be left dumbfounded by the comparisons. Even details down to the different stitching in his jersey is noticeable.

In fact, the level of player detail is ten times that of the current generation, while the level of details in each stadium is 50 times greater.

Taking a tour of Quest Field, you can even find any seat in the house, move the camera up to that seat, then check out the view from your favorite seats. You can even check out the view from the field box by where TO signed the ball with his infamous Sharpie. The artists working on the game visited every stadium two times this year to capture ever nuance, every banner, every speaker, every power box on the side of a random wall (seriously, there are even power boxes), to the interiors of the luxury suites. Even all the scoreboards are accurate and working, as the double Quest scoreboards displaying the offensive and defensive statistics will be updated throughout the game.

But while stadiums are cool, it's the player movement and animations that are going to be the key to Madden's success. From stiff arms to growls and snarls, to the way Shaun Alexander gets hit low by Brian Dawkins and flips into the end zone on his head, Madden for the Xbox 360 looks to be capturing the spirit and excitement of NFL football.

And while EA Sports paid an obscene amount of money to grab the NFL exclusive, it looks like the move is really paying off.

Working closer with the league and its players than ever before, EA is hoping o deliver the most authentic football videogame ever created, right down to the scar on Shaun Alexander's chin.

http://sports.ign.com/articles/616/616081p1.html

I post at a forum where one of Tiburon's modelers also posts, and he says that IGN understated how tremendous the graphics look, especially the stadiums.

TRR
05-18-2005, 04:31 PM
I don't believe 06 will be on the XBOX 360. It will be Madden 07 on the XBox 360 and PS3.

What I mean to say is that Madden 07 is being talked about in this article. Madden 06 will still be on the PS2 and the XBOX.

irishjayhawk
05-18-2005, 04:47 PM
No, I think Madden 06 will be on the 360, just released later. That would be the best strategy as it is still mid season and people would be interested.

TRR
05-18-2005, 05:02 PM
No, I think Madden 06 will be on the 360, just released later. That would be the best strategy as it is still mid season and people would be interested.

You may be right, but as far as I've heard, Madden 2006 will specifically be for PS2 and XBOX. Madden 2007 will be for XBOX 360 and PS3 from what I'm hearing.

htismaqe
05-18-2005, 05:04 PM
No, EA won't release 2 Madden's. They've never done it before. They didn't do it when the XBox came out, they waited until the next year to release the first XBox version.

TRR
05-18-2005, 05:14 PM
What scares me is that they are pimping Madden 07, and Madden 06 hasn't even hit shelves yet. I think they have pretty much overlooked Madden 06 for this season.

EA is looking to the consoles of the future.

ZootedGranny
05-18-2005, 05:15 PM
It has been confirmed that 06 will release for the 360 this November. I'll find the link shortly.

TRR
05-18-2005, 05:23 PM
It has been confirmed that 06 will release for the 360 this November. I'll find the link shortly.

That is very odd. It may be released for XBOX 360, but it will be XBOX graphics. Madden 2007 is what everyone is pimping.

ZootedGranny
05-18-2005, 05:32 PM
I can't find the exact quote from the developer, but here's a press release:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/press_release.php?aid=8740

REDWOOD CITY, Calif., May 13, 2005 – Electronic Arts Inc (NASDAQ: ERTS) today announced that it has 25 videogames for next generation consoles currently in development. EA's announced next generation line-up will be at the upcoming Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles, May 18-20, 2005.

New games from the EA SPORTSTM and EATM brands that will be unveiled at E3 include: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 06, FIFA 06, Madden NFL 06, NBA LIVE 06, Need For SpeedTM Most Wanted and The GodfatherTM. EA's focus on character development, animation, gameplay innovation, online play, and graphics will be showcased in its next generation titles.

That is very odd. It may be released for XBOX 360, but it will be XBOX graphics. Madden 2007 is what everyone is pimping.

I wouldn't doubt it, but EA has been working on the next gen stuff for a couple of years now, and there has been a seperate team working directly on next gen versions. We'll find out the goods for sure tomorrow when E3 completely opens up. But in several videos, including the shitty MTV Xbox 360 special, the next gen footage was branded as being Madden 06. I'll have to download the MS E3 press conference to see if it was also branded as 06, I can't remember.

TRR
05-18-2005, 05:48 PM
I can't find the exact quote from the developer, but here's a press release:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/press_release.php?aid=8740

I wouldn't doubt it, but EA has been working on the next gen stuff for a couple of years now, and there has been a seperate team working directly on next gen versions. We'll find out the goods for sure tomorrow when E3 completely opens up. But in several videos, including the shitty MTV Xbox 360 special, the next gen footage was branded as being Madden 06. I'll have to download the MS E3 press conference to see if it was also branded as 06, I can't remember.

I really think MAdden 07 is going to be targeted for the new consoles. At least that is what I am getting from gamefaqs.

ZootedGranny
05-19-2005, 12:07 AM
More tremendous news, via http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=347691&page=1&pp=15

Today we got to see Madden 06 IN-GAME and I must say that while it doesn't look just like the commercial it actually looked BETTER.

It's a bit hard to explain, but to me, the commercial looked too stylized and the characters almost looked more like superheros than human beings.

Behind closed doors at EA's booth we got to see a demo of Madden 06 running on the 360 engine that was not just some kind of commercial or target demo animation but in-game, real-time motion.

The detail, sharpness and sheer crispness of the image quality was insane! We got to see how much detail was in the character models, as well as the stadiums and it was unreal. You could view in up VERY close to the player's face and see everything from stubble on their faces to inconsistencies on their skin such as birthmarks and whatnot on players. Shaun Alexander #37 for the Seattle Seahawks was the character being shown and you could see birthmarks on the back of his neck. There is even sweat that rolls down the skin...it's almost so detailed it's gross.

Now, I will say we didn't get a chance to actually see a full 11 man team on each side of the field, but from what we did say it actually looks like EA is kicking some serious booty on what they have coming in the next gen.

In other Madden news, the PSP version of Madden will allow you to transfer your franchise from your console (not specified yet which exact consoles, but likely 360 & PS3...maybe PS2 considering it has USB ports) to your PSP and play your franchise. You can play a couple games on the go, and then transfer the file back and continue the franchise on your system.

Ultra Peanut
05-19-2005, 12:18 AM
Taking a tour of Quest Field, you can even find any seat in the house, move the camera up to that seat, then check out the view from your favorite seats.Oh. My. God.

That is zawesome.

I'm still holding a grudge towards EA, and I refuse to buy Madden 2006, at the very least, but... I'm so weak, and that is so cool.

Oh, and it's Qwest.

ZootedGranny
05-19-2005, 12:23 AM
Oh, and the passing cone feature that is basically your QBs field of vision? Trent Green's vision covers more than half the field, whereas Plummer's is slightly better than Eli Manning's.

Pants
05-19-2005, 02:48 AM
These new consoles will totally rock the entertainment industry's world, I think. These videos and "first impressions" are f*cking unbelievable.

ZootedGranny
05-19-2005, 03:54 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/grewal05/1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/grewal05/2.jpg

RedDread
05-19-2005, 04:15 AM
Awesome, now lets see some hi-rez cheerleaders.

tk13
05-19-2005, 04:21 AM
I want to see some hi-res Madden, Madden's wrinkled face, the butt sweat, some hi-res turducken... we need details.

DaWolf
05-19-2005, 04:21 AM
I'd just like to take this post to say HOLY CRAP! That's friggin awesome...

Count Zarth
05-19-2005, 04:22 AM
Bah. Who cares about graphics. Make the game play like a REAL game of football.

RedDread
05-19-2005, 04:23 AM
I want to see some hi-res Madden, Madden's wrinkled face, the butt sweat, some hi-res turducken... we need details.

ROFL

don't forget the cankles, can't forget about the cankles

Ultra Peanut
05-19-2005, 04:34 AM
Bah. Who cares about graphics. Make the game play like a REAL game of football.Pipe down and eat your gruel!

tk13
05-19-2005, 04:37 AM
Bah. Who cares about graphics. Make the game play like a REAL game of football.
Psssht. Gameplay. You want gameplay? Play Pac-Man. We're talking 374 million bits of graphical delight. So many pixels your TV will think it just had a barium enema. Details so fine Martha Stewart will look like Richard Simmons. You want to take masking agents to pass those pesky steroid tests? It's in the game. That empty coconut sound you hear when Jake Plummer hits his head against the turf? It's in the game. Trying to get that Whizzinator past airport security, it's IN THE GAME! This ain't Pac Man, this is Madden. E-A Sports, it's in the game.

Count Zarth
05-19-2005, 04:39 AM
Are all you late-nighters trying to recover from post Episode III trauma?

I'm sitting here downloading it... :D

ZootedGranny
05-19-2005, 04:57 AM
Aforemention stadium modeler's response to those pictures:

I wish they'd just release some official images those are some crappy caps, and those player ones dont even look they are from the e3 thing, but from an older test

ZootedGranny
05-19-2005, 08:31 PM
In the early version of Madden @ E3, the Chiefs O was rated 91, with the D rated 77. Overall 85.

For comparison, the Vikings O is rated 86, and the defense 92, 90 overall.

Dayze
05-19-2005, 08:43 PM
so I guess it's safe to say the games will still be a ridiculous $50.

I just paid $14.99 for Madden '05, new.
I guess I'll just wait 10 months after it comes out to save some coin. Maybe the new Madden will be worth the $$, but of late, I couldn't justify paying $50 for updated rosters and the new "EA Talk Radio' thing that was hyped. It's lame.

Game is good, but for $50...you'd think they'd be a bit more creative.

ZootedGranny
05-21-2005, 06:46 PM
Madden 06 Team Ratings as of E3, courtesy MaddenNation (the ratings are sure to change):

http://home.kc.rr.com/mkbaslee/madden_ratings.jpg

In other good news, the music this year is from NFL Films.

Pants
05-21-2005, 07:15 PM
Ooohh, Broncos got burned.

Ultra Peanut
05-21-2005, 08:07 PM
Wow. Lower than the Lions and Cardinals. ROFL

TRR
05-21-2005, 08:25 PM
I think we are about right on defense for starters. Online allows you to download upgraded rosters as the season progresses, so I'm not as worried about the initial rankings as in the past.

TRR
05-21-2005, 08:27 PM
How the hell the Packers, Eagles, Colts and Patriots offenses are rated higher than the Chiefs offense is, I will never know.