PDA

View Full Version : Ray Charles

jspchief
05-18-2005, 07:42 PM
There's a pretty good Ray Charles documentary on PBS right now. If you are a fan, or if you liked the movie Ray, you should like this show.

After watching the movie Ray, I've really started to enjoy his music. It's a great story too.

Count Zarth
05-18-2005, 07:43 PM
For a blind man, he sure could sing.

Jenson71
05-18-2005, 07:45 PM

Just think how amazing it would have been if he was deaf too!

Nzoner
05-18-2005, 07:46 PM
Appreciate the head's up maybe I can catch it another time,as I'm getting ready for the season finale of Law & Order.

Count Zarth
05-18-2005, 07:50 PM
Just think how amazing it would have been if he was deaf too!

Yeah. Beethoven > Ray Charles.

Deberg_1990
05-18-2005, 07:51 PM
Ray had one of the best voices in music ever. His soulful voice never fails to move me. Dude had more talent in his pinky finger than Kenny Chesney could ever dream of having.

Count Zarth
05-18-2005, 07:52 PM
Ray had one of the best voices in music ever. His soulful voice never fails to move me. Dude had more talent in his pinky finger than Kenny Chesney could ever dream of having.

Yup. Kenny Chesney should have donated his eyes to Ray.

stevieray
05-18-2005, 07:53 PM
Talk about a guy who climbed some mountains.

True American Icon.

Count Zarth
05-18-2005, 07:55 PM
Talk about a guy who climbed some mountains.

I guess it's hard to have a fear of heights when you can't look down.

jspchief
05-18-2005, 07:56 PM
Eh, it's over already...Guess my notice was a bit late. If it re-airs, it's worth a watch. Lots of old recordings and interviews. Good stuff.

stevieray
05-18-2005, 08:00 PM

Ray lost a little brother to drowning, became blind as a little boy..refused to play segregated shows in Georgia( which got him banned from performing there for years) and overcame a heroin addiction. More than most of us will ever go through.

Count Zarth
05-18-2005, 08:01 PM
Ray lost a little brother to drowning, became blind as a little boy..refused to play segregated shows in Georgia( which got him banned from performing there for years) and overcame a heroin addiction. More than most of us will ever go through.

Wow, truly inspiring.

gblowfish
05-18-2005, 08:02 PM
Back around 1983 or 84 I saw Ray twice in one week. Saw him at the Fox Theater in St. Louis. THAT was an awesome show. It was on a Sunday night, and most of the audience came dressed in Sunday Best (suits, ties and dresses) and looked very urbane and sophisticated. I was a college kid in jeans and sneakers. Show was amazing! He played for over three hours. Only guy I ever saw work that hard after that was Bruce Springsteen. If you don't know the Fox, it's an old Vaudeville theater near St. Louis U. that's been lovingly restored. And it's incredibly beautiful.
Check it out: http://www.fabulousfox.com/

Then I saw Ray a few days later at Starlight in KC. Crowd was different because it was a summer festival crowd, beach balls, etc. It was a great show too, but not as intimate or powerful as the one at the Fox. And Ray only played for about 90 minutes. Think the outdoors and heat were a little much for him.

Jamie Foxx was great as Ray in the movie too.

jspchief
05-18-2005, 08:06 PM
The movie was amazing. I had no desire to watch it, but my wife wanted to see it so I gave in. Great story, great music, great movie. I highly recoommend it for anyone. You don't have to be a fan, but you probably will be after watching it

Raiderhader
05-18-2005, 08:32 PM

Quite the contrary, it is even more fearfull since you cannot see where the ledge is.

Ultra Peanut
05-18-2005, 10:12 PM
The use of Ray Charles' "I Can't Stop Loving You" at the climax of Metropolis (anime film) ranks up there with anything as one of the best uses of music in a movie of all time (the whole soundtrack's got a great 1920's Chicago/New Orleans jazzy feel, but it's an incredible topper).

Ray Charles' death hit me like a ton of bricks.

Still haven't seen Ray. Amazing how Jamie Foxx has gone from basically being a somebody-who's-nobody to a big star on the virtue of what, two movies (the excellent Collateral being the other) and an appearance/a few lines in the "Slow Jams" video? :D

Simplex3
05-18-2005, 10:56 PM
Uh, how did he get started on heroin? Was someone sneaking it into his veins at night while he slept? Sorry, I don't give people "atta-boys" for getting over s**t they started themselves. Admittedly I don't know his story well, but wasn't he a world-class dick? I thought my wife said he even cheated on his wife?

BIG_DADDY
05-18-2005, 11:07 PM
Uh, how did he get started on heroin? Was someone sneaking it into his veins at night while he slept? Sorry, I don't give people "atta-boys" for getting over s**t they started themselves. Admittedly I don't know his story well, but wasn't he a world-class dick? I thought my wife said he even cheated on his wife?

I'm Mr. Harsh but I gotta say that's a little harsh.

BIG_DADDY
05-18-2005, 11:08 PM
Always wanted to see the movie, gotta do it sometime soon.

Ultra Peanut
05-18-2005, 11:14 PM
I'm Mr. Harsh but I gotta say that's a little harsh.ROFL

stevieray
05-19-2005, 02:50 PM
Uh, how did he get started on heroin? Was someone sneaking it into his veins at night while he slept? Sorry, I don't give people "atta-boys" for getting over s**t they started themselves.

Just acknowledging that he was able to kick heroin..he obviously had enough self respect to stop. How is that a bad thing?

jspchief
05-19-2005, 03:01 PM
Uh, how did he get started on heroin? Was someone sneaking it into his veins at night while he slept? Sorry, I don't give people "atta-boys" for getting over s**t they started themselves. Admittedly I don't know his story well, but wasn't he a world-class dick? I thought my wife said he even cheated on his wife?It was a little different back then. He probably didn't understand what he was getting into like people do now.

I recommend watching the movie. I suppose they have a biased view on how it went down, but it might shed some more light on it. He wasn't an angel by any stretch, but he overcame some pretty big obstacles in his lifetime. It really is a good movie, whether you're a fan of the music or not.

HemiEd
05-19-2005, 03:06 PM
There's a pretty good Ray Charles documentary on PBS right now. If you are a fan, or if you liked the movie Ray, you should like this show.

After watching the movie Ray, I've really started to enjoy his music. It's a great story too.

I always did like him and really enjoyed the movie. I wish I could watch this but some of us are trapped at work.

chagrin
05-19-2005, 03:08 PM

ROFL

Rough, but I'm rolling!

jspchief
05-19-2005, 03:12 PM
I always did like him and really enjoyed the movie. I wish I could watch this but some of us are trapped at work.Well, since I started this thread last night, you missed it by a pretty good stretch.

HemiEd
05-19-2005, 03:30 PM
Well, since I started this thread last night, you missed it by a pretty good stretch.

:) Guess I should have checked the time. Thanks

Kerberos
05-19-2005, 08:49 PM
The use of Ray Charles' "I Can't Stop Loving You" at the climax of Metropolis (anime film) ranks up there with anything as one of the best uses of music in a movie of all time (the whole soundtrack's got a great 1920's Chicago/New Orleans jazzy feel, but it's an incredible topper).

Ray Charles' death hit me like a ton of bricks.

Still haven't seen Ray. Amazing how Jamie Foxx has gone from basically being a somebody-who's-nobody to a big star on the virtue of what, two movies (the excellent Collateral being the other) and an appearance/a few lines in the "Slow Jams" video? :D

Dude .... "Ray" is a VERY powerful film about Ray Charles life. It was done VERY well IMO.

The dude was a complete ladies man and could tell how good a chick looked just by holding her hand. It never failed him and he got some good looking trem too..... nothing you would kick out of bed to eat crackers for! (no white man pun inteded).

I am guesing Fox did a bang up job portraying him with all the academy award stuff....

You won't be dissapointed the least with the film.

:)