PDA

View Full Version : Can't stop Scanlon

chief4life
05-18-2005, 11:30 PM
For you Scanlon lovers :thumb:

May 18, 2005
By Matt Kramer
NFL Europe

Rich Scanlon leads NFL Europe in tackles. (City-press.net)
Rich Scanlon wasn’t always a punishing middle linebacker. He actually started out as a running back, scampering around defenders and finding the endzone with ease.

Yet Scanlon, who leads the league in tackles with 66, found that his true passion was to become the hunter, not the prey.

“I guess I realized that I didn’t want to be tackled anymore,” he said. “I think my natural instincts told me that I should be someone who hits the opposition, not the other way around.”

Scanlon has done just that for the Thunder this season. The Kansas City Chiefs allocated player has led Berlin in tackles every single week, including putting up a League-high 15 tackles against Amsterdam at home in Week Five. What made that number more impressive was that Scanlon hadn’t practiced at all that week because he went home to New York to attend the funeral of his grandfather.

“What I love about football is that it is a game of 11 people going for one goal: to win. I just love to win,” he said. “It's something that isn't hard to say, but it's something I really believe. I love to play football. And I love winning even more.”

The 6-foot-2, 249 pounder from Syracuse has helped Berlin vault to the top of the NFL Europe standings thanks to his league leading number of tackles. Rhein Fire linebacker Tony Gilbert is second in the League in tackles with 50, 16 shy of the mark Scanlon’s at right now. Scanlon has a chance to eclipse Berlin’s franchise record for tackles of 89, set by Richard Hogans in 2000. The League record for tackles is actually held by Scanlon’s Chiefs’ teammate Mike Maslowski, who had 105 for the Barcelona Dragons in 1999.

Scanlon, who had five special teams tackles for the Chiefs this past season, is finding a home not only at middle linebacker, but also in the city of Berlin. The New York native was surprised by how modern Berlin was when first coming to NFL Europe, and now frequently checks out different areas of the city when he has free time.

“Berlin is so diverse. It’s a lot like New York City. You can go out in Berlin and find absolutely everything. I didn't expect that coming over here,” he said. “I was surprised by how large Berlin is, because not a lot of American cities are as spread out as Berlin. I just like that there is always something to do here, and there is always something going on.”

There aren’t many teams in this League who can boast the linebacker coaching talent that Scanlon has been able to have in Berlin. Head coach Rick Lantz’s trademark is linebackers, having coached that position at Louisville and Virginia. Besides Lantz, the unit is coached by D’Marco Farr, who played nine seasons in the NFL, and his assistant, Kurt Gouivea, who played 15 years as a linebacker in the NFL.

“I think it's great that I have two different perspectives of the same position,” Scanlon said. “Coach Gouivea knows the mentality behind the player, having been one at the highest level himself. Of course everyone's goal is to have a career in the NFL just like his. Coach Lantz offers a different perspective, because he's coached that position for so many years. Coach Farr knows what a defensive lineman’s mentality is as well, so that really helps.”

Scanlon’s coaches couldn’t be happier for their man in the middle. “He’s far and beyond what we expected,” Farr said. “He’s a warrior. He’s relentless, and he has a good shot at a professional career in the NFL. I didn’t think he was going to be as tough up the middle as he is.”

Dave Lane
05-18-2005, 11:42 PM
You can only hope to contain him!

Dave

ROYC75
05-19-2005, 08:46 AM
5 ST's tackles last fall ?

Damn, did I miss the other 2 or is this a misprint ? I knew of 2 & 1 assist.

:shake:

NY CHIEF
05-19-2005, 09:24 AM
GO RICH :clap:

bricks
05-19-2005, 09:56 AM
I'm happy with Scanlon's attitude. Nothing better than having a player say "I just love to win". I think he is going to break Maslowski's record. I hope he makes the Chiefs roster.

Brando
05-19-2005, 10:01 AM
Hell..if he can't make the roster Gun should use him like Terry Tate. Have him running around hitting slackers.

Kclee
05-19-2005, 10:36 AM
5 ST's tackles last fall ?

Damn, did I miss the other 2 or is this a misprint ? I knew of 2 & 1 assist.

:shake:

Maybe they made a mistake and counted penaltys instead of tackles. :shrug:

jiveturkey
05-19-2005, 10:41 AM
How many LB'ers do we usually keep?

A couple of these guys aren't going to make it.
Bell
Johnson
Mitchell
Fujita
Grigsby
Stills
Fox
Caver
Barber
Maz
Scanlon

ROYC75
05-19-2005, 10:58 AM
How many LB'ers do we usually keep?

A couple of these guys aren't going to make it.
Bell
Johnson
Mitchell
Fujita
Grigsby
Stills
Fox
Caver
Barber
Maz
Scanlon

Usually 7, but some teams carrie 6 .

the Talking Can
05-19-2005, 11:11 AM
Yet Scanlon, who leads the league in tackles with 66, found that his true passion was to become the hunter, not the prey.

this is how the roys and Scalon role play....Rich is the "hunter" wearing only a loin cloth and carrying a vibrating, plastic "spear"...the Roys limp around the house in cheetah print boxers pretending to be wounded animals.....

shit, I just ruined my lunch........

ROYC75
05-19-2005, 12:06 PM
this is how the roys and Scalon role play....Rich is the "hunter" wearing only a loin cloth and carrying a vibrating, plastic "spear"...the Roys limp around the house in cheetah print boxers pretending to be wounded animals.....

shit, I just ruined my lunch........

WOW .....With this type of vivid imagination you probally experence multiple orgasms each day.

Enjoy lunch ! ROFL