View Full Version : Teicher: Bartee pleased with move to safety

tk13
05-19-2005, 02:08 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/11681263.htm

Move to safety pleases Bartee
Chiefs notebook

By ADAM TEICHER
Kansas City Star

In the most spectacular play from Chiefs practice Wednesday, William Bartee hustled to the sideline from his new position at safety and leaped high over Samie Parker to make an interception.

It’s early, but the Chiefs’ decision to move Bartee from cornerback looks like a good one. Bartee played like it in practice Wednesday and said he felt like it afterward.

“It takes a lot of stress off,” said Bartee, who struggled at corner since joining the Chiefs as their second-round draft pick in 2000. “You can be a lot more relaxed at safety. I feel a lot more comfortable out there. This is the best move I could have made. I felt natural at corner, but I think my best position is safety.”

Bartee played a lot of safety in college and appears to have the skills to play the position in the pros. He covers a lot of ground, tackles well and will play facing the ball. His biggest problem at cornerback came when he turned to run with a receiver and lost track of the ball.

With Patrick Surtain, Eric Warfield, Dexter McCleon, Julian Battle, Benny Sapp and rookie Alphonso Hodge at cornerback, the Chiefs may be tempted to make the move with Bartee permanent.

“Right now we’re saying it is, if everything goes right at the corner position,” coach Dick Vermeil said.

Gary Stills also is playing a new position, shifting to outside linebacker from defensive end. The 250-pound Stills is undersized for an end and never found a home there.

The Chiefs have only seven healthy linebackers, so Stills has a better chance of helping the Chiefs at his new spot.

“I feel like I can do a lot more playing in space than confining myself to a small room with a bunch of big guys,” Stills said. “Hopefully, this will prolong my career. I want to be an integral part of the defense.”

■ HOLMES ARRIVES: Priest Holmes practiced for the first time, and the Chiefs wasted little time getting him back into the mix. On one of the first plays of the day, they threw a familiar screen pass to Holmes, and only a great play by Kendrell Bell prevented what would have been a big gain.

Vermeil then trotted down the field to welcome Holmes back.

“It was his first day back, and he is big and strong,” Vermeil said. “He has been weight training an awful lot. Now he is working on cardiovascular and getting into football shape, but it was real fun to have him back.”

■ HALL TAKES A SPILL: Dante Hall took a hard fall after a collision with linebacker Keyaron Fox. Both players were going after the pass; neither apparently saw the other, and both went down. Fox got up immediately and continued practice.

Hall stayed on the ground for a few anxious moments before getting to his feet, but he did not return to practice. He later wore an ice pack on his left knee, but the Chiefs didn’t believe the injury to be serious.

Simplex3
05-19-2005, 02:14 AM
How friggin' funny would it be to see Knight and Bartee starting at safety and see Bartee make the freaking Pro Bowl?

ROFL

I'd be first in line to eat my crow on that one.

keg in kc
05-19-2005, 02:14 AM
In the most spectacular play from Chiefs practice Wednesday, William Bartee hustled to the sideline from his new position at safety and leaped high over Samie Parker to make an interception.

It’s early, but the Chiefs’ decision to move Bartee from cornerback looks like a good one. Bartee played like it in practice Wednesday and said he felt like it afterward.

“It takes a lot of stress off,” said Bartee, who struggled at corner since joining the Chiefs as their second-round draft pick in 2000. “You can be a lot more relaxed at safety. I feel a lot more comfortable out there. This is the best move I could have made. I felt natural at corner, but I think my best position is safety.”I remember reading similar stories about Bartee in training camp 2 or 3 years ago. At corner. I'll believe it when I see it in a game that counts.

Pants
05-19-2005, 03:57 AM
I remember reading similar stories about Bartee in training camp 2 or 3 years ago. At corner. I'll believe it when I see it in a game that counts.

Well, apparently he destroys the ball and the reciever in practice, yet chokes every time he comes out on a Sunday.

Wallcrawler
05-19-2005, 04:02 AM
I dont think I buy that bit about the interception. Im going to require some video evidence of that little story.

Heh. Bartee with an interception. Yeah right.

He also said he felt natural at corner. Thats pretty funny, considering he never learned to turn his head and look for the ball in five years time.

I guess he could be improved playing safety, it would be quite a challenge to play worse than he was playing at cornerback.

But, im sure if anyone is up to that challenge, he certainly is. How he has kept a spot on an NFL roster for so long is beyond my comprehension.

He must give good head.

Pants
05-19-2005, 04:05 AM
But, im sure if anyone is up to that challenge, he certainly is. How he has kept a spot on an NFL roster for so long is beyond my comprehension.

He must give good head.

He's amazing during the practice?

HemiEd
05-19-2005, 04:36 AM
With Patrick Surtain, Eric Warfield, Dexter McCleon, Julian Battle, Benny Sapp and rookie Alphonso Hodge at cornerback

All of a sudden, I do not feel so great about CB anymore. McCleon an Battle have not earned my confidence.

keg in kc
05-19-2005, 04:47 AM
Well, apparently he destroys the ball and the reciever in practice, yet chokes every time he comes out on a Sunday.I've heard a number of (media) people over the years talk about how he always looked like a completely different player in practice. He'd regularly make plays, stick on receivers, look like an actual corner. His thing has always been mental. Warfield went through the same thing, it took him years to learn to compartmentalize his mistakes and develop confidence in his abilities. Bartee has never been able to do that. Like I said, I'll believe it when I see in on a Sunday afternoon, regardless of where he lines up in the secondary.

patteeu
05-19-2005, 07:27 AM
I dont think I buy that bit about the interception. Im going to require some video evidence of that little story.

Heh. Bartee with an interception. Yeah right.

He also said he felt natural at corner. Thats pretty funny, considering he never learned to turn his head and look for the ball in five years time.

I guess he could be improved playing safety, it would be quite a challenge to play worse than he was playing at cornerback.

He must give good head.

:rolleyes:

the Talking Can
05-19-2005, 07:31 AM
He must give good head.

Not as good as Hicks, he gets to START.

Shag
05-19-2005, 09:35 AM
I've heard a number of (media) people over the years talk about how he always looked like a completely different player in practice. He'd regularly make plays, stick on receivers, look like an actual corner. His thing has always been mental. Warfield went through the same thing, it took him years to learn to compartmentalize his mistakes and develop confidence in his abilities. Bartee has never been able to do that. Like I said, I'll believe it when I see in on a Sunday afternoon, regardless of where he lines up in the secondary.

Or, it could just be that the Chiefs receivers don't really stack up against most teams' receivers, and are much easier to cover... ::shrug::

HC_Chief
05-19-2005, 09:42 AM
I've heard a number of (media) people over the years talk about how he always looked like a completely different player in practice. He'd regularly make plays, stick on receivers, look like an actual corner. His thing has always been mental. Warfield went through the same thing, it took him years to learn to compartmentalize his mistakes and develop confidence in his abilities. Bartee has never been able to do that. Like I said, I'll believe it when I see in on a Sunday afternoon, regardless of where he lines up in the secondary.

I've been witness to that... at River Falls.
Bartee would have been a great corner if he would simply turn and look for the ball. Problem is his timing was off every once in a while (as it is with all corners) and the receiver would put a move on him to gain separation. After that, he'd compensate by face-guarding... playing with his back to the QB.

He won't have to worry about that at safety... the play will always be in front of him. He will face the QB; subsequently, he'll be able to make reads and take advantage of his athleticism.

This was a great move.... long overdue.

morphius
05-19-2005, 09:58 AM
Bartee would have been a great corner if he would simply turn and look for the ball. Problem is his timing was off every once in a while (as it is with all corners) and the receiver would put a move on him to gain separation. After that, he'd compensate by face-guarding... playing with his back to the QB.

He won't have to worry about that at safety... the play will always be in front of him. He will face the QB; subsequently, he'll be able to make reads and take advantage of his athleticism.

Pretty much the way I see it. He consistently ran stride for stride with people, only to not be able to make any play on the ball. Facing the QB should be a huge step for his play.

Lzen
05-19-2005, 10:09 AM

I wouldn't say the play will always be in front of him. Remember, Gun likes to blitz. That means that the safeties will be covering man-to-man on TEs or WRs sometimes. But I do agree that the move to safety is a good one. How long have people on Chiefs Planet been saying that?
:shake:

Otter
05-19-2005, 10:30 AM
Good head indeed. He should prolly be a June 1 casualty.

bricks
05-19-2005, 10:31 AM

Would you say it is good enough for him to defeat his competition? Good enough to secure a starting role as Free Safety?

Coogs
05-19-2005, 10:34 AM
Would you say it is good enough for him to defeat his competition? Good enough to secure a starting role as Free Safety?

I think it is possible. Neither Wesley or Woods did enough last year to lock up the spot. Could be an interesting competition.

jiveturkey
05-19-2005, 10:37 AM
Would you say it is good enough for him to defeat his competition? Good enough to secure a starting role as Free Safety?I'm betting that he'll be the backup at FS and contribute on ST's. Wesley doesn't usually play all 16 games so he'll probably see the field on ocassion. Harts or Pile will be the backup at SS.

TEX
05-19-2005, 10:47 AM
Now only if they can move Battle to Safety as well... :hmmm:

Fire Me Boy!
05-19-2005, 10:52 AM
How friggin' funny would it be to see Knight and Bartee starting at safety and see Bartee make the freaking Pro Bowl?

ROFL

I'd be first in line to eat my crow on that one.
Pro Bowl and leads the league in INTs for a safety. ROFL

HC_Chief
05-19-2005, 10:56 AM

Definite possibility. The guy is a tremendous athlete and he <i>can</i> tackle (one of the few on the last few seasons' _efenses). Woods and Wesley haven't exactly cemented themselves as starters.

TRR
05-19-2005, 11:09 AM
Not only do I think Bartee will have a hard time starting...I think Bartee will have a hard time making the team at safety. The numbers don't bold well for William Bartee. Harts, Pile and Connot all have more experience at safety, and probably are better candidates at this point.

I am now 99% sure that Greg Wesley will be our starting FS.

How many times have we moved Gary Stills around in his career? Talk about a tweaner.

bricks
05-19-2005, 11:15 AM
Definite possibility. The guy is a tremendous athlete and he <i>can</i> tackle (one of the few on the last few seasons' _efenses). Woods and Wesley haven't exactly cemented themselves as starters.

your right...they haven't. Woods and Wesley played like backups last year. When harts and Pile came in to replace them after they got hurt, I felt like we didn't lose anything at the safety position.

TRR
05-19-2005, 11:17 AM
I've felt for some time now that Greg Wesley would fit better at FS. As his career moves on, it seems that Wesley prefers to make the big interception rather than the big hit. Wesley is a decent playmaker at the safety position, but he didn't get to show that all the time at SS. I really like the idea of a roaming Greg Wesley in the secondary.

ptlyon
05-19-2005, 11:18 AM
Bartee pleased with move to safety

He should be pleased. Otherwise he would lose his job.

Cochise
05-19-2005, 11:18 AM
I really like Surtain/Warfield at corners with McCleon as the nickelback.

We have a shutdown corner now. Warfield is a #2 which is where he always should have been, and I think he will do great at that spot. McCleon is better covering the slot guys. I think we're going to have a good secondary this year.

Calcountry
05-19-2005, 11:21 AM
I remember reading similar stories about Bartee in training camp 2 or 3 years ago. At corner. I'll believe it when I see it in a game that counts.I am really tired of seeing IT in games that count.

Cut the guy already. The only reason he is psyched is because of all that fear juice our off season moves put on his ass. Too bad he couldn't have lit that fire without being threatened.

philfree
05-19-2005, 11:28 AM
I wouldn't say the play will always be in front of him. Remember, Gun likes to blitz. That means that the safeties will be covering man-to-man on TEs or WRs sometimes. But I do agree that the move to safety is a good one. How long have people on Chiefs Planet been saying that?
:shake:

Bartee's a good blitzer so playing FS he could get a good chance to use that skill a little more. It still scares me to think of #24 on the field at all after watching him get scorched so many times. If/when he get's beat I might not be able to take it.

PhilFree:arrow:

Mr. Laz
05-19-2005, 11:41 AM
well dam!!

bartee back to safety, Stills back to linebacker

have the chiefs actually learned something about all this "converting" bullchit??? :eek:

Demonpenz
05-19-2005, 12:56 PM
sup

BigChiefFan
05-19-2005, 01:00 PM
I'm just glad to hear our guys are going to work. I can't wait to see us take the field this year. It's good news to hear that Gunther actually is putting players in the right position to utilize their talents.

HC_Chief
05-19-2005, 02:10 PM
I'm just glad to hear our guys are going to work. I can't wait to see us take the field this year. It's good news to hear that Gunther actually is putting players in the right position to utilize their talents.

I sincerely hope he gets past his stubborn clinging to playing corners on SIDES rather than over PLAYERS.

i.e. sticking Surtain at LCB instead of having him follow the best receiver wherever he lines up.

gblowfish
05-19-2005, 02:23 PM
Crispy made an interception? Unbelievable!! Oh...it was only practice.

BigChiefFan
05-19-2005, 04:09 PM
I sincerely hope he gets past his stubborn clinging to playing corners on SIDES rather than over PLAYERS.

i.e. sticking Surtain at LCB instead of having him follow the best receiver wherever he lines up.
Everybody has their favorites, but I think it's fairly obvious, Gunther wants the BEST players to play, regardless of how close he is to some of them. I would say Wesley was once highly praised by Gunther, but he's still required to EARN a spot on the roster. We just re-signed Bartee last year, he's always been perceived to be better at Safety than CB, we might as well see if it works before we take a cap hit. If he fails, he's most likely out of football all together, but I have no problem seeing if he is a better fit at safety than corner. We are paying him, we might as well see if he recoup some of the money and time we have sunk into him.