PDA

View Full Version : All right fellow Star Wars nerds, lets hear your reviews!

alnorth
05-19-2005, 02:11 AM
I just finished watching the movie, here's a few impressions.

First for those with ADD and want the basic information, yes the movie ticket is worth the price of admission. If you hate crowds feel free to wait, but you eventually should see it in the theater, UNLESS you are one of those very rare people who always hated Star Wars, including all the original movies. I personally liked it better than even Empire, but I'm still on the afterglow you get when you watch a movie you like. After a few weeks I'll probably rate it 2nd or 3rd best out of the 6.

- My God the theater was crowded. I went to the midnight showing at the Pittsburg, KS theators. We arent a one gas station town or anything, but youd think little old Pittsburg wouldnt be that crowded. They sold out three screens for the midnight showing, full of people willing to stay up to 2:30 am, it was freakin packed. If you hate crowds in the movie... its gonna take a while. I can only imagine what its like in KC.

- Prepare for a very long movie, at least 2.5 hours. Its like Lucas thought to himself "You know, I am making the most anticipated movie in the history of the world. Its the last movie of freakin Star Wars, I'm gonna do whatever the hell I want and cut nothing. What are the distributors gonna do, refuse to show the movie?!? Hah!" Then again, the movie did cover a hell of a lot of stuff. Some of it could have been abbreviated, but I'm glad it wasnt.

- Kids... I thought it was overhyped personally, the way people were talking, youd think it shoulda been rated R or something. It aint PG, but PG-13 is probably fine. I think some younger kids can handle the movie, but not too young, and worried parents should probably screen it first. There are only two scenes I think would be questionable for young viewers, if you look around the internet youll find out what they are, I wont spoil anything here.

- Dont expect Shakespear. The story was very good, the acting was ok, the lines were.... well Lucas always sucked at writing lines. The man's working with what talent he was born with and I think he did the best he could.

- The best actor, by far, not even close, was the emperor. All the other roles (except Vader, and he did a passable job) are secondary and wont sink the movie, but this is one role that easily could have been cheesey and ruined the film. Thankfully, the most talented actor in the cast pulled it off well, and at times it seemed the sinister emperor was carrying the film during slow parts. (Jackson really didnt get much of a chance to shine and use his talents to the fullest)

- This film has by far the most action of all 6 films. It sometimes gets to the point where your on overload and wish the movie would slow down to take a breath. For some people the action overload will be a good thing, for others it wont, you be the judge.

- They tied up a lot of loose ends, as many as humanly possible, including ends that I didnt realize needed to be tied up untill they pointed it out, then its like "oh ok, so thats why this is the situation in episode 4!"

- Obi-Wan was pretty impressive. (I'm talking about the character now, not the actor) You always get the impression that he has less power in the "force" than most jedi, but he uses his intelligence to make the most of what hes got, especially in the pivotal fight with Vader when it seemed he was overmatched.

- General Grievous was pretty cool

Again, in summary the acting was kind of cheesey at times (Lucas cant write a good romance scene to save his life, it was like high school or something), passable at times (Anakin did a pretty good job at Vader, but not perfect, you sometimes get the impression that the character isnt believable, but it wasnt horrible) and excellent (no man alive on our planet could have possibly played the emperor any better)

The lines... were somewhere between ok and bad. In spite of the questionable script writing, the story was excellent, and together with good performances from some of the cast, took the movie on their shoulders to make it a very good experience in spite of the lines. It could have been better, but after episodes I and II, I'll take whatever we can get that resembles a good movie and be satisfied. The movie is definitely worth the price of admission, just dont expect to be happy if your a film geek/snob fresh from college who overanalyzes crap all the time.

Pants
05-19-2005, 02:23 AM
Just got back, and I couldn't agree more with your review, very well done.

As you know, I'm not a big Star Wars fan, yet this movie greatly impressed me. It is by far my favorite of the six, and would be an awesome stand alone piece. Yet, Lucas found a way to connect it to everything to an extent I didn't know was possible. If you imagine the rest of the six episodes as separate pieces belonging together that have cracks when assembled - Episode III is like water that fills up the cracks, freezes and makes everyting a perfect one piece.

I have one comment to add alnorth's review - Mace Windu is a bad ass motherf*cker, I won't spoil anything, but you can look forward to seeing him in action.

Ari Chi3fs
05-19-2005, 02:25 AM
Decent Flick... at the end there is a major time discreptancy...

SPOILER [highlight text with mouse to read]

Luke and Leia go to their adopted parents... Vader is now fully functional and goes to the big window with the Emperor, and they look at the beginning stages of construction of the Death Star.

This thing is gonna take 20+ years to build? They only get it operational when they fire at Alderan in Ep 4.

Anyway... very live action flick. I give it 3/4 schwing.

Count Zarth
05-19-2005, 02:26 AM
Well, I just got back.

It was a total blast (Darth Vader walked by me when I was in line. I yelled "WHAT'S UP DARTH!") and I am exhausted.

I pretty much agree with the above comments. I felt two of the Anakin/Padme scenes should have been cut. A couple of the lines were just awful. Where have you gone Leigh Brackett?

I was pleased with Hayden Christensen's performance. Much better, IMO. Ian McDiarmid was FANTASTIC as the Emperor. He chewed the scenery with delight. His duel with Yoda was simply amazing. Yoda wasn't kidding when he said "Do not underestimate the powers of the Emperor" in Return of the Jedi.

R2-D2 was spectacular in this movie. ROFL

And as the twin suns of Tatooine set for the first time on Luke Skywalker...yes, I am afraid, I did shed one single tear...or two. :)

May the Force be with you.

Count Zarth
05-19-2005, 02:28 AM
This thing is gonna take 20+ years to build? They only get it operational when they fire at Alderan in Ep 4.[/color]

Evidently it does. The Empire isn't operating at it's peak efficiency as Episode III closes, obviously. :shrug:

Count Zarth
05-19-2005, 02:38 AM
One thing I was hoping to see and didn't was Vader's lightsaber. Would have been cool to see Vader wielding a red blade in the duel with Obi-Wan.

I noticed some shoddy CGI in a couple places. Some of heads/bodies on the clonetroopers were not meshed well at all. But overall the CGI was the best I've ever seen. The space battle was AMAZING. Obi-Wan riding his lizard thing was badass and so was Greivous. I love the way Obi-Wan kills Greivous, too, very original.

And hearing James Earl Jones as Darth Vader for the first time since Return of the Jedi was...awesome. :)

Pants
05-19-2005, 02:42 AM
One thing I was hoping to see and didn't was Vader's lightsaber. Would have been cool to see Vader wielding a red blade in the duel with Obi-Wan.

I noticed some shoddy CGI in a couple places. Some of heads/bodies on the clonetroopers were not meshed well at all. But overall the CGI was the best I've ever seen. The space battle was AMAZING. Obi-Wan riding his lizard thing was badass and so was Greivous. I love the way Obi-Wan kills Greivous, too, very original.

And hearing James Earl Jones as Darth Vader for the first time since Return of the Jedi was...awesome. :)

Yeah, those orange troopers looked really f*cked. I don't know what Lucas was thinking. Isn't he a stickler for such things?

Count Zarth
05-19-2005, 02:45 AM
Yeah, those orange troopers looked really f*cked. I don't know what Lucas was thinking. Isn't he a stickler for such things?

Well, when the troopers had their helmets on, everything was fine. They looked great. But when they took their helmts off...something was awry. It definitely distracted me.

Complaining about CGI in a Star Wars movie is like complaining about Carmen Electra's tits when you're f*cking her, though, so I will shut up.

I was really glad they didn't overdo Chewie's role, too.

I really enjoyed the Chancellor's rescue at the beginning, from start to finish. The best Star Wars swashbuckling action since Han, Luke and Leia were galavanting around in the corridors of the Death Star. :)

I'm still laughing at R2. Those Super Battle Droids got OWNED! ROFL

Wallcrawler
05-19-2005, 02:47 AM
Agree with just about everything said.

This movie kicked ass. This is definately a flick that should be experienced in a theater at least once though, unless you have a kickass home entertainment center. The space battle will blow you away, the first 30 minutes or so is nothing but nonstop, in your face action.

The Anakin/Padme scenes did kinda slow the movie down, but thats just my view. Im an action fan way more than love story/drama type stuff, so it just depends on point of view. They werent as bad as what I had been reading in earlier reviews however.

Id recommend this movie to any fan of the science fiction/action genre.

Pants
05-19-2005, 02:49 AM
Agree with just about everything said.

This movie kicked ass. This is definately a flick that should be experienced in a theater at least once though, unless you have a kickass home entertainment center. The space battle will blow you away, the first 30 minutes or so is nothing but nonstop, in your face action.

The Anakin/Padme scenes did kinda slow the movie down, but thats just my view. Im an action fan way more than love story/drama type stuff, so it just depends on point of view. They werent as bad as what I had been reading in earlier reviews however.

Id recommend this movie to any fan of the science fiction/action genre.

The first 40 minutes seriously felt more like 4 minutes. I looked at my watch and couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Pants
05-19-2005, 02:51 AM
Well, when the troopers had their helmets on, everything was fine. They looked great. But when they took their helmts off...something was awry. It definitely distracted me.

IIRC, the only helmetless troops in the movie were the orange ones, that's why I specified the color.

Count Zarth
05-19-2005, 02:51 AM
The Anakin/Padme scenes did kinda slow the movie down, but thats just my view. .

At least one of them should have been cut. There were some editing/cutting problems for about 20 minutes after Obi-Wan and Anakin finally set foot on Coruscant. The pacing was off....it got way too slow.

Pants
05-19-2005, 02:52 AM
At least one of them should have been cut. There were some editing/cutting problems for about 20 minutes after Obi-Wan and Anakin finally set foot on Coruscant. The pacing was off....it got way too slow.

The movie got really slow for me after about the first 50 mins - my bladder was exploding.

Count Zarth
05-19-2005, 02:53 AM
IIRC, the only helmetless troops in the movie were the orange ones, that's why I specified the color.

That would be it then. Also, seeing 4 or 5 clones of Jango Fett/Temeura Morrison all in a row was...disturbing.

I'm just gushing here, sorry.

I LOVED LOVED LOVED the way they cut the Jedi purge with the Temple raid. Some masterful editing right there. And the intercutting of Anakin vs Obi Wan/Palpatine vs Yoda was fantastic, as was using Duel of the Fates for the music in that part...

Count Zarth
05-19-2005, 02:54 AM
The movie got really slow for me after about the first 50 mins - my bladder was exploding.

I didn't drink anything from 10 pm to 3 am. No way I was leaving the theater for a second.

Pants
05-19-2005, 02:55 AM
That would be it then. Also, seeing 4 or 5 clones of Jango Fett/Temeura Morrison all in a row was...disturbing.

I LOVED LOVED LOVED the way they cut the Jedi purge with the Temple raid. Some masterful editing right there. And the intercutting of Anakin vs Obi Wan/Palpatine vs Yoda was fantastic, as was using Duel of the Fates for the music in that part...

Heh, I thought that Twilek's death on the flowery panet was masterfully (word?) concealed, yet left to your imagination - brutal enough to make you cringe.

Count Zarth
05-19-2005, 02:56 AM
God it was so sad when Obi-Wan broke down after he mutilated Anakin. Knowing he had to leave his friend there, burning in agony on the shores of a molten river. Great stuff. Darth Vader you heartless bastard. I HATE YOU! :(

Wallcrawler

Heh. I knew this movie was friggin long, so I didnt drink hardly anything at all today, nor did I buy anything to drink from the concession stand.

I wasnt about to miss any part of this movie to head to the bathroom, nor did I want to deal with the discomfort of a bladder on the verge of rupturing.

It always happens to me in the theater, during the best parts I have to either suffer or miss a good part in the film to use the restroom. It sucks.

Wasnt gonna happen this time.

Count Zarth
Heh, I thought that Twilek's death on the flowery panet was masterfully (word?) concealed, yet left to your imagination - brutal enough to make you cringe.

The younglings stuff was....awesome. :D

Pants
05-19-2005, 02:59 AM
God it was so sad when Obi-Wan broke down after he mutilated Anakin. Knowing he had to leave his friend there, burning in agony on the shores of a molten river. Great stuff. Darth Vader you heartless bastard. I HATE YOU! :(

The Mace Windu scene left me extremelly pissed off, I was happy to see that f*cker suffer.

Count Zarth
05-19-2005, 02:59 AM
Also, I stood in line for two hours and was waaaaaaay at the end of the line, and still got a great seat. Lucky I guess. People started lining up at 5 pm here...

Count Zarth
05-19-2005, 03:00 AM
The Mace Windu scene left me extremelly pissed off, I was happy to see that f*cker suffer.

It was pretty good...neat death scene. I wish I hadn't been spoiled about how he loses his lightsaber. :)

Pants
05-19-2005, 03:00 AM
Also, I stood in line for two hours and was waaaaaaay at the end of the line, and still got a great seat. Lucky I guess. People started lining up at 5 pm here...

Got there around 11, got really good seats. The front part of the theater was empty till about the last 10 minutes.

Count Zarth
05-19-2005, 03:03 AM
Our theater booed all the previews (except Narnia) and a huge roar went up at the main title....great stuff!

Looks like ROTS has hit the net...300 seeders and 10,000 goddamn leechers on this torrent already...ROFL.

Count Zarth
05-19-2005, 03:04 AM
Pretty good quality too.

http://img263.echo.cx/img263/9881/sw3am.png

Count Zarth
05-19-2005, 03:06 AM
Oh, everyone loved the Batman Begins trailer. I think it looks gay, but, eh.

Pants
05-19-2005, 03:07 AM
Our theater booed all the previews (except Narnia) and a huge roar went up at the main title....great stuff!

Looks like ROTS has hit the net...300 seeders and 10,000 goddamn leechers on this torrent already...ROFL.

People clapped after every review. I felt retarded for just being a part of that group. Overall, the crowd wasn't as annoying as I expected. In fact, we had 4 hot girls sitting by themselves (with one dude, but that doesn't count) right in front of us.

keg in kc
05-19-2005, 03:51 AM
Oh, everyone loved the Batman Begins trailer. I think it looks gay, but, eh.There were 10 minutes of Batman Begins footage after the smallville finale last night. That movie looks f*cking awesome, although I don't like Bale's voice when he's in the suit.

tk13
05-19-2005, 04:04 AM
People clapped after every review. I felt retarded for just being a part of that group. Overall, the crowd wasn't as annoying as I expected. In fact, we had 4 hot girls sitting by themselves (with one dude, but that doesn't count) right in front of us.
I hate it when people clap at a movie theater. What is the point? I always thought that was dumb... the actors can't hear you.

Count Zarth
05-19-2005, 04:06 AM
I hate it when people clap at a movie theater. What is the point? I always thought that was dumb... the actors can't hear you.

It's like you're letting everyone else know you think something is awesome. Then everyone agrees really loudly together.

Fairplay
05-19-2005, 04:19 AM
Whats my review of the greatest movie to come out is?

My god girl i've been waiting months and months and many sleepless nights with visions of all the Lucas characters running around and doing there thing. Finally the big event arrived. It seemed like hours on end to get are preciously awaited tickets. I took the ticket, trembleing, knowing that what i've had in my hand right now is the most important thing in my life. While mommy and daddy got the popcorn i approached the seats that were being taken up by excitied, joyous throngs of people. My eyes saw a few vacant seateds 15 rows back! I ran and took them. "Our seats our seats!" I yelled with great enthusiasm!
I waved my parents in when so they could sit down, mommy on one side daddy on the other. I looked at them with glee as i tried to keep a tear from welling up in my eye.
The lights grew dim and the movie began to show on the screen in an instance the familar Star Wars music came out the those digital surround speakers!! I screamed!!! We all jumped for joy in the seats! I could die tommorrow and it didn't matter anymore my life didn't care as long as i see this movie!!!! My heart leaped with joy and my body did funny things as the characters were shown in the movie OH MY GOD!!
************Instense pleasure shuddered through my body, thats the last thing i can remember. Its the next day now.....was it a dream? I don't know. I don't know!!?? If there is a heaven, i had a taste of it though. I must sleep more now. I can't comprehend what has just happened. My senses come back to me...slowly..im in my bedroom i realize...I have a half drank glass of chocolate milk next to my bed. Im cluthcing onto my partly stained Princess Lea doll.... so things are good....thanks mommy......

tk13
05-19-2005, 04:26 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050519/ap_en_mo/film_star_wars_opens_16

Chief Henry
05-19-2005, 04:41 AM
Just please tell me their are no Jar Jar Binks type characters in the movie...

Count Zarth
05-19-2005, 04:43 AM
Just please tell me their are no Jar Jar Binks type characters in the movie...

Jar Jar is in it. He has like two throwaway lines.

R2D2 has some comical moments, but they are genius.

Chief Henry
05-19-2005, 04:47 AM
Jar Jar is in it. He has like two throwaway lines.

R2D2 has some comical moments, but they are genius.

As long as that POS does not dominate the movie...

Pants
05-19-2005, 05:40 AM
Whats my review of the greatest movie to come out is?

My god girl i've been waiting months and months and many sleepless nights with visions of all the Lucas characters running around and doing there thing. Finally the big event arrived. It seemed like hours on end to ......

My grandma, who doesn't speak English, can write better than you.

Pants
05-19-2005, 05:41 AM

Same here. For some reason I feel ashamed for those people, since they are making fools of themselves.

Ultra Peanut
05-19-2005, 05:52 AM
I've never watched a Star Wars movie in its entirety, but...

<UKDJ|Planet> I swear to god
<UKDJ|Planet> I've just heard a duck tell a joke
<Jock> o...k
<UKDJ|Planet> there was as group of ducks on a pond near where i live
<UKDJ|Planet> one of the ducks was quacking away looking straight at a group of like 10 ducks
<UKDJ|Planet> then he stopped and all the other ducks went mental
<UKDJ|Planet> it looked just like duck stand-up comedyGod, I love that sig.

Congrats to gochiefs and whoever else just had a Paul Reubens experience (minus the arrest), though.

Dave Lane
05-19-2005, 07:17 AM
I'm pumped!

Dave

angel
05-19-2005, 07:41 AM
Bought my tickets, then bought tickets for another movie, saw that movie, it got out at 9pm, they were letting the long-ass line of people that had been waiting all day long into the theatre, I went straight to my theatre and sat in the middle-back (my favorite seats) and waited for the fun to begin. IMO, the best way to wait is to see another movie, beat the crowd into the theatre.

MOhillbilly
05-19-2005, 07:57 AM

hes thinking 'i can go back in 10-20 years re-master and package and make another bizzilion $$$$"

HC_Chief
05-19-2005, 08:11 AM
Complaining about CGI in a Star Wars movie is like complaining about Carmen Electra's tits when you're f*cking her, though, so I will shut up.

HA! :D

Ari Chi3fs
05-19-2005, 12:22 PM
amazing that a torrent for this is already out. heh.

keg in kc
05-19-2005, 12:30 PM
It wasn't perfect, but it was better than I expected.

Vegas_Dave
05-19-2005, 12:45 PM
Very weel done movie. Tragic really. An Absolutely Tragic story line. It makes you completely understand why Vader is the way he is and you actually walk out sympathizing with him.

Very well done movie...

chagrin
05-19-2005, 12:52 PM
I'm pumped!

Dave

:spock:

:hump:

Demonpenz
05-19-2005, 12:52 PM
i just got back. It was alright, i think i was expecting too much, overall i give it a C and of course it's not as good as empire

BIG_DADDY
05-19-2005, 12:53 PM
hes thinking 'i can go back in 10-20 years re-master and package and make another bizzilion $$$$"

They were interviewing him on the news here. He's all "I sure am glad this Star Wars thing is all over" Give a ****ing break George.

alnorth
05-19-2005, 01:02 PM
I cant believe that 20th Century Fox will actually let this franchise end.

We have stories written for episodes VII through IX but Lucas doesnt want to direct? Fine, someone else will. Thats too much money for a movie studio to leave on the table. The only movie in the entire series that was not directed by Lucas (Empire) is also widely regarded as the best. Lucas is better suited in the special-effects department anyway.

In 5 years or so from now, dont be shocked if 20th Century Fox asks Lucas to oversee a new trilogy in the background with a producer's role or something.

HC_Chief
05-19-2005, 01:06 PM
Lucas is better suited in the special-effects department anyway.

Lucas is good for nothing, really. His direction is putrid, his writing hackneyed, and his "vision" a complete rip-off.

I would love to see Star Wars continue w/ solid direction. Can you imagine a Star Wars movie directed by someone like Guillermo del Toro? :goosebumps:

SCTrojan
05-19-2005, 01:08 PM
Just got back. I thought it was fine. I'd rate it third behind Empire and the original.

The only drawback is you kind of know the outcomes of various situations, so some of the suspense is taken away.

KingPriest2
05-19-2005, 01:36 PM
I cant believe that 20th Century Fox will actually let this franchise end.

We have stories written for episodes VII through IX but Lucas doesnt want to direct? Fine, someone else will. Thats too much money for a movie studio to leave on the table. The only movie in the entire series that was not directed by Lucas (Empire) is also widely regarded as the best. Lucas is better suited in the special-effects department anyway.

In 5 years or so from now, dont be shocked if 20th Century Fox asks Lucas to oversee a new trilogy in the background with a producer's role or something.

No there isn't. And supershadow is not valid. He is a fraud. Lucas said if there was going to be a new trio it would be the Thrawn books.

Son of Logical
05-19-2005, 01:43 PM
Time admit how big of a geek I am. I waited in line since 3:00 p.m. That sucked! It was cool watching the freakshow of true Star Wars geeks battle it out with lightsabers all day. Overall waiting in line was terrible, but I did get great seats. The movie was absolutely fantastic. Even most of the dramatic sceenes were good, with the exception of one or two.
My overall rating would be #3 behind Return of the Jedi, and Empire Strikes Back.

Saulbadguy
05-19-2005, 01:46 PM
Loved it. Can't say much else. I was too, emotionally overwhelmed when Luke was given to Owen & Beru.

trndobrd
05-19-2005, 02:11 PM
First of all, I got to see it. Which is amazing enough in itself. Thanks to 20th Century for making that possible.

I would rate it #2 behind Empire. The action was great, although a little overwhelming at points. The story fit together very nicely. I assume building a space station the size of a small moon must take a while, but what was the deal w/ Qui Gon Jin at the end?

The worst part of this movie is it shows what Lucas is capable of, and makes Episode one seem even worse.

vailpass
05-19-2005, 02:16 PM
i just got back. It was alright, i think i was expecting too much, overall i give it a C and of course it's not as good as empire

Pez,
Where did you get the picture of SRV, EC, and RC?
I was at that concert in Alpine Valley the night SRV went down in the chopper. Were you there?
That is an awesome photo.

Deberg_1990
05-19-2005, 05:01 PM

Just got back from seeing it. Loved it! I loved all the little tie in to the Original Trigoly as well. Loved some of throwback sets to Episode 4. Even some of the costumes were Old school. Loved the way that Obi-Wan killed Grievous and the line he said to end it. Great throwaway line to Episode 4. I think I was the only one in my theater who caught it. No one elsed laughed like i did.

Count Zarth
05-19-2005, 05:30 PM
The only movie in the entire series that was not directed by Lucas (Empire) is also widely regarded as the best.

That's not true, actually. Lucas did not direct Return of the Jedi, Richard Marquand did.

But I agree. Empire was the best. Why? Because it was a fully COLLABORATIVE effort. Lucas writing, Leigh Brackett polishing up the script, Irvin Kershner directing. I believe Lawrence Kasdan did some work on the script, too (he wrote alot of Jedi screenplay).

Thank GOD that Lucas brought in some outside help on the script this time. It showed.

Count Zarth
05-19-2005, 05:32 PM
Great throwaway line to Episode 4. I think I was the only one in my theater who caught it. No one elsed laughed like i did.

Whoa! I just got that! Awesome!

"This is a lightsaber, the weapon of a jedi knight. Not as clumsy or as random as a blaster. A more elegant weapon, for a civilized age."

Hey Obi, you looked real clumsy and random hitting the General right in the guts there! ROFL

Deberg_1990
05-19-2005, 05:34 PM
Whoa! I just got that! Awesome!

"This is a lightsaber, the weapon of a jedi knight. Not as clumsy or as random as a blaster. A more elegant weapon, for a civilized age."

Hey Obi, you looked real clumsy and random hitting the General right in the guts there! ROFL

hahaha....Han Solo would have been proud!

Count Zarth
05-19-2005, 05:36 PM
I didn't know HTF Obi-Wan was going to beat Greivous at first. The General was just a buzzsaw with those lightsabers.

Deberg_1990
05-19-2005, 05:39 PM
The only question i have is......I never saw one scene where anyone questioned that Padme was pregnant or who the father was????? There was one line towards the end where Obi_Wan mentioned he knew Anakin was the father, but by then she must have been 9 months pregnant??

Count Zarth
05-19-2005, 05:56 PM
The only question i have is......I never saw one scene where anyone questioned that Padme was pregnant or who the father was????? There was one line towards the end where Obi_Wan mentioned he knew Anakin was the father, but by then she must have been 9 months pregnant??

She was hiding it most of the movie. And really, the only Jedi she saw were Obi-Wan and Anakin in the whole thing, so it never "got out" so to speak.

Obi-Wan ASKED her if Anakin was the father.

"Is Anakin the father?"

*padme nods*

"Then I'm...so sorry." (goes off to kill Anakin).

Over-Head
05-19-2005, 06:47 PM
The better half and I are going to see it Monday afternoon.
(Long weekend here in NL)
She won’t even come near me right now for fear of reading a spoiler while I’m surfing the net, but m’self, I want all the details. I’m going to enjoy the movie anyway.

Gochiefs-
Got a few questions for ya
1.“God it was so sad when Obi-Wan broke down after he mutilated Anakin. Knowing he had to leave his friend there, burning in agony on the shores of a molten river”.

Ok, what caused the fight to start, and more importantly, is it far enough into the movie where we get to see the Aniken / Darth Vader transformation?

2. “I wish I hadn't been spoiled about how he loses his lightsaber.”

Ok how?

3. "Then I'm...so sorry." (goes off to kill Anakin).”:
Why? What is the necessity to kill Anakin for fathering children, or is it a case of Obi-wan knowing that he’s turned to the dark side.

beer bacon
05-19-2005, 06:49 PM
I really liked it. It was much better then the first two. For the most part I managed to ignore the little things that I typically notice and then use to pick a movie apart with. It made the movie much more enjoyable.

Of course there were great dueling and battle scenes, but I thought the dialogue was much better then the previous movies as well. There was still a line here and there that just really seemed to stick out and sounded bad, namely the one that started off with "From my point of view...", but this was a big improvement. Instead of having five minute sections of dialogue that made me want to bash my head against a wall, there would only be that one line or two, and then it would go back to good dialogue/and or fighting.

Much more enjoyable then the previous two.

Count Zarth
05-19-2005, 06:56 PM
The better half and I are going to see it Monday afternoon.
(Long weekend here in NL)
She won’t even come near me right now for fear of reading a spoiler while I’m surfing the net, but m’self, I want all the details. I’m going to enjoy the movie anyway.

Gochiefs-
Got a few questions for ya
1.“God it was so sad when Obi-Wan broke down after he mutilated Anakin. Knowing he had to leave his friend there, burning in agony on the shores of a molten river”.

Ok, what caused the fight to start, and more importantly, is it far enough into the movie where we get to see the Aniken / Darth Vader transformation?

Ok how?

Why? What is the necessity to kill Anakin for fathering children, or is it a case of Obi-wan knowing that he’s turned to the dark side.

1. What causes the fight to start? Um....Anakin is a Sith. Obi-Wan is a Jedi....you do the math! I guess that answers both parts of your question.

2. Well, this is a spoiler, so...highlight to read. Mace Windu has Palpatine at saber-point and is about to kill him. Anakin steps in and chops off Mace's saber hand. A large window is shattered seconds before during Palps/Mace's duel, so Mace's saber and saber hand go flying adios out the window.

3. Yeah, it has nothing to do with the kids. That's just an unfortunate circumstance. Hence, Obi-Wan apologizing. I mean...he's leaving to go KILL THE FATHER OF HER CHILDREN.

alnorth
05-19-2005, 06:58 PM
I'll have a crack at it. (answers written in white text) Be warned, these are major spoilers.

It's at the very end. All of the Jedi in the entire galaxy is dead, including all the Jedi children, except Kenobi and Yoda. The Jedi order is utterly destroyed, and the Dark Sith Lord Darth Sidious has full control over the Galactic Empire, all because of Darth Vader. Yoda and Kenobi decide to try to kill them both, Yoda going for the emporer, Kenobi going after Vader.

So.... yeah, Kenobi had a boatload of justification to kill Vader. Kenobi completely F***s Vader up, when he leaves him, he is missing both legs and arms, and he's on fire. Any reasonable person would think "oh yeah, he's dead." However, the emperor manages to save his life. The black suit is what keeps Vaders burned and mangled body alive.

Is this on how vader loses his saber? Kenobi chops his hand off along with both legs. (edit: oops, looks like I misunderstood. Anyway, gochiefs answered it above.)

Ok how?

As mentioned earlier, Kenobi and Yoda have just discovered that Vader killed all the Jedi children, and is mostly responsible for the destruction of the jedi order, the deaths of all jedi everywhere, and the emperor's victory. So... yeah, they decide maybe it would be a prudent idea to kill both Sith Lords. They thought they killed Vader, but the emperor defeats Yoda. Without the element of surprise, they are unable to mount another realistic assassination attempt on the emperor, so they choose exile, putting their hopes on training Vader's children.

siberian khatru
05-19-2005, 07:00 PM
I posted this on the other review thread, gochiefs in particular will like it. I thought it was hilarious and pretty much dead-on:

Say Good Night, Obi-Wan

Two experts ponder the final Star Wars movie.

By Bryan Curtis and Chris Suellentrop
Posted Thursday, May 19, 2005, at 2:46 AM PT

Bryan: Yo, Chris. We're here tonight because we've just emerged from the midnight screening of Star Wars—Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. Also—and this may be slightly redundant—because we're big, fat Star Wars nerds. I mean, big. You, 30 years old. Me, 27. Our entire lives, spent under the tutelage of Jedi master George Lucas. The compulsion to consume all things Star Wars got so bad this week that you called me, breathless, with the news that Boba Fett was conducting an online chat on WashingtonPost.com (Slate's corporate cousin). Actually, you called and e-mailed me. You were nervous I'd miss Boba Fett, weren't you, Chris? You know what? I read the chat. I read it twice. I shed a tear when Mr. Fett revealed that "it would be wonderful to put the outfit on again and kick some ass." But enough with the nerd bona fides. We're here to dissect Episode III. So, Master, whaddya think?

Chris: Who you calling fat? And my wife would surely like everyone to know that my multiple messages to you about Boba Fett's online chat, which I have not had the pleasure of reading, were sent with appropriate measures of hip, ironic distance. Thirdly, if you, gentle reader—not you, Bryan—don't like spoilers, stop reading now. What did I think? I'm glad that now we know the reason Anakin Skywalker turned to the Dark Side and became Darth Vader. It's because Obi-Wan Kenobi failed to teach him the most important part of the Jedi Code: Bros before hos.

Bryan: Yes, Ani forsakes Obi-Wan, Yoda, and other members of the Jedi Order for Miss Padmé—played by that interstellar goddess Natalie Portman. But as Slate's David Edelstein points out, Anakin's conversion has a lot—a lot—to do with the temptations offered by Senator/Supreme Chancellor/Emperor Palpatine, whom Edelstein compares to an "old queen" in search of a new cabana boy. I never thought I'd say this, but our favorite serial has gotten a wee bit homoerotic, no? I always wondered why Yoda was so hot for Luke to stay on Dagobah.

Chris: You bring up what was actually the most disappointing thing about the movie to me. And it's not homoeroticism. The implication, to me at least, of the film's conclusion is that Palpatine has been lying to Anakin/Vader all along, that Palpatine did not in fact possess a secret power that could save Padmé's life. Which means that, in one of the final frames, Lucas abandons, or at least softens, the fairly radical moral philosophy he's put forth. That love isn't all we need. That love can be selfish. That the attachments of marriage and family may be constructs that we sinners need to get through life, but if we were truly moral beings we'd view things from a broader, more just perspective. I thought that was where we were heading with all this talk about "attachment" and its dangers. Movie heroes are supposed to break the rules and get the girl. In Revenge of the Sith, it's the villain who flouts authority and gets the girl.

Bryan: [stunned silence]

Bryan: Dude, that's so heavy. But as long as we're getting cosmic, I'd remind you that Anakin's attachment to the "girl" results in intergalactic disaster. He betrays his friends and mentors, exterminates Jedi, winds up waist-deep in lava—all for the sake of some girl. If Lucas is turning against his radical Jedi philosophy—which says attachments ("temptations") lead to weakness—then, well, he's got an odd way of showing it.

Chris: Yeah, but then we find out—or at least I think we find out—that he was lied to all along. So, he was deceived into his actions. That feels like a cop-out to me. I would have liked it better if his love for Padmé led him to evil directly, without any deception on the part of Palpatine. While I'm being heavy, I'd argue that attachments aren't the same as temptations. They lead to temptation, rather, because you end up elevating one person over everyone else. Just like Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith struck me as a brief for celibacy. But let me change the subject: Most of the reviews so far have emphasized how, at long last, George Lucas has tied the many threads of his six movies together. But there's a whole lot of stuff that still doesn't make any sense. Which bits of remaining nonsense are your favorites?

Bryan: While we're on the big stuff, I'll plug your seminal (heh) tract, "Sex and the Single Superhero," which explores Jedi celibacy in more depth. Now, then ... what loose ends didn't Lucas tie up? I'm still not sure why Yoda and the Jedi Fun Club don't realize that the most evil guy in the freakin' galaxy lives and works, like, 20 feet away. And yet, in Episode II, we learn that Yoda can sense the hurt feelings of his fellow Jedi millions of miles away—sorry, Mr. Jedi, I don't get it. I'm unclear on what happened to "Sifo Diaz" (forgive the phonetic spelling), apparently the first Hispanic Jedi, who started the Clone Wars in Episode II. And, finally, the eternal question, one Kevin Smith raised the other day: Why doesn't Darth Vader recognize C-3PO (the robot he built) and R2D2 (his frequent co-pilot) in episodes IV through VI? Answers, Suellentrop, answers!

Chris: Well, I can't resist one last comment on Jedi celibacy. As numerous fanboys informed me after that piece came out, in the novels and comic books we're apparently informed that Jedi aren't celibate. They're just prohibited from forming romantic attachments. So, Li'l Orphan Ani could have sated his sexual desires with Clintonian abandon, picking up space hos (or bros) at every port in the galaxy, as long as he didn't fall in love. But I stick to what we're told in the films. And in the movies, as far as I can tell, Anakin is the only Jedi who gets it on. Though Lucas may have left out the Best Little Whorehouse in Coruscant scenes to keep the PG-13 rating.

I don't have answers for your questions, but here are some more of the many remaining mysteries: Do you think Darth Vader chooses to freeze Han Solo in carbonite in The Empire Strikes Back because he's angry that Solo shot Greedo who, as we learned in The Phantom Menace, is his childhood friend? When Leia shows up at the beginning of Star Wars in the ship that Jimmy Smits flies in Revenge of the Sith, do you think it's because she's been handed down the 20-year-old family clunker? And how in the world—as I believe the Weekly Standard's Jonathan Last was the first to point out—does Obi-Wan age from a young, vibrant Ewan MacGregor into a decrepit Sir Alec Guinness over the course of a mere two decades?

Bryan: I have no doubt fanboys are this second firing up their 10-parsec modems to give us the answers. (On second thought, please don't.) Meanwhile, let's discuss the all-powerful Palpatine, whatever his title. He's the star of Episode III, even though Lucas has done him no favors, giving him deep lines and covering him in a milky-white, gelatinous mask. (He looks like the love child of Hellraiser and the Sta-Puft Marshmallow Man.) Is it just me, or was Ian McDiarmid the only actor in the new trilogy who realized Star Wars is best played as camp? Natalie Portman thinks she's still in Beautiful Girls; Jimmy Smits appears to be stuck in a particularly earnest episode of L.A. Law. The only actors to escape Lucas' clutches with a shred of dignity are the ones that eschew subtleties and go all the way—McDiarmid, Frank Oz, and maybe (if one calls it acting) Chewbacca.

Chris: See, you want to talk about acting, but then you bring it back to plot inconsistencies. Chewbacca—since he and Yoda are old pals, why don't they get a chance to reminisce and tell old war stories in episodes IV, V, and VI? And while I'm on the subject, is there anything Obi-Wan Kenobi tells Luke Skywalker at the beginning of Star Wars that turns out to be true? The famous lie, of course, is Kenobi telling Luke that Darth Vader killed his father. But Obi-Wan appears to have decided to embroider that big lie with a host of little ones. He says Luke's father was a great pilot. These prequels give us no real evidence for that. He says Luke's father wanted him to have a particular light saber that he pulls out of a box. Guess not. He says that he fought with Luke's father in the Clone Wars. If that's true, it's sure hard to tell. Oh, what the hell, here's one more quibble: In Star Wars, a member of the Empire tells Darth Vader that Vader is the only remaining believer in that hokey Force religion. Is Palpatine, delightfully campy as his performance may be, still keeping his Sithdom in the closet two decades hence?

I thought Revenge of the Sith was better than OK (it's sad to say that I'll probably see it again), but I used to disagree with people who argued that the prequels would ruin the original movies. (Well, the first two, since Return of the Jedi was already a quietly acknowledged stinker.) Now I'm not so sure. As enjoyable as Revenge of the Sith is, they should stick these movies in the remainder bin next to The Silmarillion before it's too late.

Bryan: Now you've touched on the big question, Master. Which is, was this whole prequel thing a gigantic waste of time? The 16-year interregnum between Return of the Jedi and The Phantom Menace was a time of peace in the Galactic Republic. I barely thought about Star Wars. OK, not quite true. I bought three Star Wars video games. I read at least five novels, the final of which was called The Courtship of Princess Leia, about which I shall say no more. I saw the original trilogy countless times on videotape and at least twice in the theater. But given the early-1980s hysteria, it wasn't much. Then 1999 comes along, and we get all psyched up, studying the trailers like the Zapruder film and salivating over every bit Lucas unleashes on the Internet. The first two movies were fairly wretched. And even though Revenge of the Sith was decent—decent—I can't help but feel I've sorta wasted six years of my life on this crap. A more frightening thought: If the new films mar the original trilogy, it means we wasted three decades of our lives on this crap. Jump in before I strangle myself with my power cord.

Chris: Now you're being overwrought. You'll be first in line a few years from now for the 3-D versions, or the live-action Broadway shows, or episodes VII, VIII, and IX. You brought up the campy fun of Ian McDiarmid's performance in Sith. The dirty secret of Star Wars fandom is that the campy aspects of the movies are part of the fun. What Star Wars fan doesn't hoot with delight at the abominable lines poor Mark Hamill has to deliver in the original movie? "But I was going to go to Tasche Station to pick up some power converters!" When I saw the Special Edition Star Wars in a New Orleans theater in 1997, that line was greeted with applause. My favorite Star Wars story is a non sequitur, but I feel obliged to share it, because it may be my last chance. When a friend of mine went to see Return of the Jedi with her two sisters, here's how three good young Catholic girls responded when a character pronounced, "May the Force be with you." In unison, they recited back, "And also with you."

Bryan: Broadway show? What Broadway show? But, seriously ... As we wrap this thing up, I want to ask you this, Mr. Suellentrop: Are you better off than you were six years ago? Better put, did we at least get some decent sci-fi out of all this? You and I sneer at those who proclaim Star Wars or The Lord of the Rings or The Matrix to be the "mythology of our generation." (It's so obviously Night Court.) But I hold out hope that Star Wars is the best sci-fi of our generation—better than those listed above and, Lord knows, better than creaky old Star Trek, which met its ignoble end a week ago. You'll still venerate Lucas and company, right? At least until the live-action TV series he's promising comes out, and we're talking about continuity gaps again?

Chris: Look, I too have played Star Wars video games, and not in the distant past. The recent Knights of the Old Republic was better than any of the prequel movies. And while George Lucas didn't make those, it's a pretty significant feat to create a mythology as rich as Star Wars. You brought up Star Trek. I've got nothing against it. But its universe is a cold, rational one filled with liberal, multinational, goo-goo organizations. What's great about Star Wars—and one of the reasons I think it has greater appeal—is its acknowledgement, even celebration, of the irrational, the mystical, the religious. More than one friend of mine—OK, me and one friend of mine—sat in our separate backyards as children trying to move rocks with our minds. Star Wars isn't political, but liberals are now trying to adopt it as their own, by claiming that Revenge of the Sith is an allegory for the Bush administration. Um, does that mean that Osama Bin Laden is a Jedi?

Bryan: Maybe he's Osama the Hutt. Let's stay clear of the geopolitical connotations, shall we? Let's instead sign off like this: We have spent nearly 30 years with Star Wars. It—the movies, the books, the games—have consumed an alarming amount of our spare time—more, I'd wager, than any other cultural item. And after those thousands upon thousands of man-hours, when we should have been reading Collette, or at least Margaret Atwood, we can definitely say this about this space opera: It's probably better than Star Trek. May the Force be with you, Suellentrop.

Chris: And also with you.
Bryan Curtis is a Slate staff writer. You can e-mail him at curtisb@slate.com.
Chris Suellentrop, now a freelance writer in Washington, D.C., was Slate's 2004 campaign correspondent.

Article URL: http://slate.msn.com/id/2119061/

Count Zarth
05-19-2005, 07:37 PM
That was pretty good.

Here's a funny post from another forum:

Episode 3.5: Revenge of the Rutkowski

This is the story on how the hero Rutkowski got revenge on the evil Darth Lukas.

It all began back in 1999. Young Rutkowski were only 12 years old and had only seen the original trilogy a year before, when he nervously sat down in the theatre, waiting for Phantom Menace to start. He had spent his whole budget for the month for that movie, due to his cheap and lousy parents.

He would never be the same again...

He completely turns away from the Light side and doesn't see Attack of the Clones until January 2005, and once again, he was dissapointed. Although he didn't pay a dime to see it this time, he was still not happy after the movie, only enjoying the last 30 minutes of the movie.

It's now the 19th January, 2005. Rutkowski had stood in line on the 15th and bought tickets for the midnight showing of Revenge of the Sith. He goes on the midnight showing, as planned, but accidently hands the ticket controller his cupoun he had recieved when he bought the ticket, as they were printed on the same type of paper, in the same style. The controller is sloppy and just rips of the cupoun without checking it and lets Rutkowski in.

Rutkowski walks out, completely satisfied with the movie. He sit up all night discussing the movie with other nerds on Forumopolis.com and RPG-Files.com and misses school completely.

When he woke up, another Dark thought had sprung up in his mind. Since the controllers didn't check his ticket for the first time, it is still untouched. He takes it and heads for the theatre and yes, he comes in without paying, taking back the 9 bucks Darth Lucas stole from him 6 years earlier.

The Circle is Complete...

siberian khatru
05-19-2005, 08:09 PM
From the comments section of this very enthusiastic (too enthusiastic, IMHO) review by Vodkapundit's Will Collier:

The coup was attrocious. The emperor was as subtle in his plotting as a ton of bricks. The "seduction" of Vader was the moral equivalent of the seduction of Jenna Jameson in BackDoor Honeys 3. It wasn't heart wrenching or full of guile. It essentially consisted of the emperor going "C'mon, be evil. Look at all the cool things." Anakin: "No, never."

Emperor: "C'mon"

Anakin: "OK" Play imperial march.

This is at the same level as the "delivery boy/I-don't-have-enough-money-can-I-pay-for-it-another-way" plot in porn. It really wasn't good.

http://vodkapundit.com/archives/007837.php

Count Zarth
05-19-2005, 08:11 PM
From the comments section of this very enthusiastic (too enthusiastic, IMHO) review by Vodkapundit's Will Collier:

The coup was attrocious. The emperor was as subtle in his plotting as a ton of bricks. The "seduction" of Vader was the moral equivalent of the seduction of Jenna Jameson in BackDoor Honeys 3. It wasn't heart wrenching or full of guile. It essentially consisted of the emperor going "C'mon, be evil. Look at all the cool things." Anakin: "No, never."

Emperor: "C'mon"

Anakin: "OK" Play imperial march.

This is at the same level as the "delivery boy/I-don't-have-enough-money-can-I-pay-for-it-another-way" plot in porn. It really wasn't good.

http://vodkapundit.com/archives/007837.php

Hey assholes....

siberian khatru
05-19-2005, 08:14 PM
Hey Will....

That wasn't Collier, that was one of the posts in the comments section. Collier's the one who loved the movie.

You should follow that link, gochiefs, and read the whole thing. Some of those comments are really insightful and funny. Good reading.

Count Zarth
05-19-2005, 08:18 PM
That wasn't Collier, that was one of the posts in the comments section. Collier's the one who loved the movie.

You should follow that link, gochiefs, and read the whole thing. Some of those comments are really insightful and funny. Good reading.

Edited my post. :D

Count Zarth
05-19-2005, 08:23 PM
Heh heh.

http://img244.echo.cx/img244/7988/yoda0ka.jpg

Deberg_1990
05-19-2005, 08:35 PM
OK, another question. The scene at the Opera where Palpatine was explaining his Sith mentor to Anakin. Was he implying that His mentor Darth (????) whoever, created Anakin by fooling with the Midicloridians?? Then Palpatine murdered his own Master??? I beleive that Anakins mother mentioned something about a "Virgin" birth in Episode 1 ?

Deberg_1990
05-19-2005, 08:40 PM
I have to agree with some of the reviews ive seen so far. While all the saber duels in this flick rocked, the best Saber duel in all of the movies so far is still the Obi-Wan/Qui Gon/Darth Maul duel from Episode 1. That hasnt been topped yet IMO.

Count Zarth
05-19-2005, 08:41 PM
OK, another question. The scene at the Opera where Palpatine was explaining his Sith mentor to Anakin. Was he implying that His mentor Darth (????) whoever, created Anakin by fooling with the Midicloridians?? Then Palpatine murdered his own Master??? I beleive that Anakins mother mentioned something about a "Virgin" birth in Episode 1 ?

I think that was it. That actually makes the whole midichlorians thing....a lot easier to swallow.

siberian khatru
05-19-2005, 08:49 PM
I think that was it. That actually makes the whole midichlorians thing....a lot easier to swallow.

Sorry, no way. For me, having Greedo shoot first was a stupid tactical mistake, one that foreshadowed where Lucas was heading. But the midichlorians were a huge strategic blunder.

In the original trilogy, the Force was a mystical religion that spoke to the power of faith. But in The Phantom Menace, we suddenly find out that the Force was a corporeal presence, manifested in little platelets or whatnot, and its strength can be detected and "measured."

WTF????

"Hey, gimme 12 ounces of God, please, with a cup of Jesus on the side."

That just completely wiped out out a major philosophical underpinning of the original trilogy.

Count Zarth
05-19-2005, 08:51 PM
I have to agree with some of the reviews ive seen so far. While all the saber duels in this flick rocked, the best Saber duel in all of the movies so far is still the Obi-Wan/Qui Gon/Darth Maul duel from Episode 1. That hasnt been topped yet IMO.

Of course not. We're talking about three force users in their prime going at it, one of them using a double bladed lightsaber. There's only one other duel with three guys in Star Wars (Anakin, Obi-Wan, Dooku in Episode III) and Dooku is a much older force user. Plus there wasn't a huge series of catwalks in an enormous generator room for them to galavant around on. ROFL

Here's how I rank the duels:

Maul/Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan - Episode I

Obi-Wan/Vader - Episode III

Yoda/Palpatine - Episode III

Vader/Luke - Episode V

Vader/Luke - Episode VI

Yoda/Dooku - Episode II

Windu/Palpatine - Episode III

Obi-Wan/Greivous - Episode III

Anakin/Dooku - Episode II

Obi-Wan/Vader- Episode IV

Whew! Did I get em all? :)

Deberg_1990
05-19-2005, 08:51 PM
Sorry, no way. For me, having Greedo shoot first was a stupid tactical mistake, one that foreshadowed where Lucas was heading. But the midichlorians were a huge strategic blunder.

In the original trilogy, the Force was a mystical religion that spoke to the power of faith. But in The Phantom Menace, we suddenly find out that the Force was a corporeal presence, manifested in little platelets or whatnot, and its strength can be detected and "measured."

WTF????

"Hey, gimme 12 ounces of God, please, with a cup of Jesus on the side."

That just completely wiped out out a major philosophical underpinning of the original trilogy.

I have to agree. that Midicloridians thing was waaaaay too "Star Trekkie" for me. But like GoChiefs mentioned, at least Palpatines story made it somewhat easier to swallow.

siberian khatru
05-19-2005, 08:53 PM

Vader/Luke - Episode V

Vader/Luke - Episode VI

Yoda/Dooku - Episode II

I'd agree with that.

Count Zarth
05-19-2005, 08:54 PM
I have to agree. that Midicloridians thing was waaaaay too "Star Trekkie" for me. But like GoChiefs mentioned, at least Palpatines story made it somewhat easier to swallow.

Oh yeah. I'm in no way excusing the midichlorians thing in Episode I. It still sucks. But it's a nice way to explain Anakin's conception.

Maybe we'll get a novel all about Darth Plageuis and his apprentice, Darth Sidious.

Deberg_1990
05-19-2005, 08:56 PM
Of course not. We're talking about three force users in their prime going at it, one of them using a double bladed lightsaber. There's only one other duel with three guys in Star Wars (Anakin, Obi-Wan, Dooku in Episode III) and Dooku is a much older force user. Plus there wasn't a huge series of catwalks in an enormous generator room for them to galavant around on. ROFL

Vader/Luke - Episode V

Vader/Luke - Episode VI

Yoda/Dooku - Episode II

Anakin/Dooku - Episode II

hahah..nice list. I loved the beginning of the Yoda/Palpatine showdown. Where Yoda just walked into the room and immediatly just disposed of the Palace Guards without even working at it. Great stuff.

I also liked how Mace Windu basically made Palapatine his little B***h. He won that fight until Anakin showed up to ruin things!

Count Zarth
05-19-2005, 08:58 PM
hahah..nice list. I loved the beginning of the Yoda/Palpatine showdown. Where Yoda just walked into the room and immediatly just disposed of the Palace Guards without even working at it. Great stuff.

I also liked how Mace Windu basically made Palapatine his little B***h. He won that fight until Anakin showed up to ruin things!

Yeah, I just loved the senate scene with Yoda and Palps tossing around pods at each other.

If you notice, the guards that Yoda dropped were the same guards standing at the elevator in Return of the Jedi.

siberian khatru
05-19-2005, 08:59 PM

Two great observations -- I had the same reactions.

With Yoda's entrance, it was totally unexpected, and the whole theater reacted to it.

With Mace, I was sitting there thinking (knowing he was about to get betrayed by Anakin): Damn, Mace was one bad muther****er (I bet he even had a wallet that said 'Bad Mother****er' on it). He was a lot stronger Jedi than I thought he might be.

Deberg_1990
05-19-2005, 09:00 PM
If you notice, the guards that Yoda dropped were the same guards standing at the elevator in Return of the Jedi.

Yes I did notice. One of many great tie ins to the original Trilogy I thought were great.

Count Zarth
05-19-2005, 09:01 PM
Two great observations -- I had the same reactions.

With Yoda's entrance, it was totally unexpected, and the whole theater reacted to it.

With Mace, I was sitting there thinking (knowing he was about to get betrayed by Anakin): Damn, Mace was one bad muther****er (I bet he even had a wallet that said 'Bad Mother****er' on it). He was a lot stronger Jedi than I thought he might be.

Mace Windu is supposed to know the highest form of saber dueling.

I wish I hadn't been spoiled for what happened...I knew Anakin was going to come in and save Palps ass.

Deberg_1990
05-19-2005, 09:02 PM
Yes I did notice. One of many great tie ins to the original Trilogy I thought were great.

I loved how Lucas used some of the old cheesy 70's sets again. Like the blockade runner. Even some of the costumes towards the end screamed 1970's.

Count Zarth
05-19-2005, 09:02 PM
Damn, Mace was one bad muther****er (I bet he even had a wallet that said 'Bad Mother****er' on it)

Actually, Samuel L. Jackson had "BMF" inscribed on the hilt of his lightsaber.

tommykat
05-19-2005, 09:04 PM
Amazing for all........I had a date in 1977 for the first one............went to sleep. Never seen any of these movies.

siberian khatru
05-19-2005, 09:05 PM
Actually, Samuel L. Jackson had "BMF" inscribed on the hilt of his lightsaber.

No shit? That's hilarious. They should've had Mace start saying "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers ..."

Frazod
05-19-2005, 10:17 PM
Just got back. Color me dissappointed.

The acting F#CKING SUCKED. Lucas may be a great idea man, but when it comes to coaxing solid dramatic performances from his stars, he pretty much channels Ed Wood. I would have liked it much better if none of them ever spoke. Portman in particular was wretched. Even the James Earl Jones-supplied Vader lines were lame. "Where's Padme? WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA." GIMME A F#CKING BREAK! :banghead: The piss poor performances went a long way toward ruining the entire film.

Maybe I just expected too much - got sucked in by all the good reviews. I really should find Roger Ebert downtown tomorrow and get some of whatever he was smoking when he gave this 3 1/2 stars.

There were cool aspects of it. I'm not totally bummed. But the cold hard truth is this - ROTS is no better than Clones, and can't hold a candle to any of the original films. I'll take the goddamned ewoks over Lucas personally directing Christiansen, Portman and McGregor.

THIS MOVIE DID NOT LIVE UP TO THE HYPE.

F#ck.

:cuss:

Gravedigger
05-19-2005, 10:17 PM
The Count Dooku fight between Anakin, Obi Wan, and him was really fast as in short as hell as in dissapointment. The Obi Wan General Grievous fight wasn't as cool as I thought it would be. But the Anakin Obi Wan fight that was flippin insane. Especially at the beginning when Anakin just goes after him it was so flippin fast that was the coolest part of the movie. Overall I give it an A-. It got extra points for not allowing Jar Jar to speak but it lost cool points by not killing him off.

Count Zarth
05-19-2005, 10:53 PM
What were you expecting Vader to say?

Frazod
05-19-2005, 10:54 PM
What were you expecting Vader to say?

I wasn't expecting him to continue to F#CKING WHINE. :cuss:

Count Zarth
05-19-2005, 10:56 PM

Considering he's more Anakin than the Vader we all know and love at that point, that's pretty much what I was expecting. This is NOT Darth Vader of the OT. It takes twenty years of ruthless murdering and tyranny for him to turn into the REAL Vader.

He turns to the darkside for Padme and learns his efforts are all for naught? Yeah, I'd be pretty upset too.

Frazod
05-19-2005, 11:03 PM
Considering he's more Anakin than the Vader we all know and love at that point, that's pretty much what I was expecting. This is NOT Darth Vader of the OT. It takes twenty years of ruthless murdering and tyranny for him to turn into the REAL Vader.

He turns to the darkside for Padme and learns his efforts are all for naught? Yeah, I'd be pretty upset too.
I understand that. Doesn't change the fact that the dialogue in the scene (along with most of the movie) was poorly written and poorly acted.

Rausch
05-19-2005, 11:09 PM

Having recently viewed "Jedi" again Luke does the same thing. Starts off the movie like he's he's the ****ing John Wayne of the space saloon and turns into a blubbering burgina once he starts chatting with Vader later on.

I was hoping Anakin would be in full-on-Vader ass-kickery mode and not that crybaby teenage angst $#it from the last flick...

Count Zarth
05-19-2005, 11:11 PM
Having recently viewed "Jedi" again Luke does the same thing. Starts off the movie like he's he's the ****ing John Wayne of the space saloon and turns into a blubbering burgina once he starts chatting with Vader later on.

I was hoping Anakin would be in full-on-Vader ass-kickery mode and not that crybaby teenage angst $#it from the last flick...

Like I said, this is not your father's Darth Vader...

Some people wanted to see "in-the-suit" Vader kicking ass in this movie too...they should just watch the OT again if that's what they want.

Frazod
05-19-2005, 11:12 PM

If you think Luke was whiny, watch Clones, and then you won't. :D

BTW, PM me if you need to about what we talked about last week.

duncan_idaho
05-19-2005, 11:14 PM
The scene between Anakin, Obi-Wan and Dooku was VERY disappointing compared to the scene in the book... in which Anakin and Obi-Wan trick Dooku with their fighting styles... it's a long, drawn-out fight that starts to end when Palpatine begins telling Anakin to use his anger...

There were a lot of scenes (Windu choosing to leave Anakin behind in particular) where I thought, "hmm, a different choice there, and Anakin doesn't turn to the dark side..." which I think is what this movie was supposed to do...

I liked it a lot.

Rausch
05-19-2005, 11:17 PM
If you think Luke was whiny, watch Clones, and then you won't. :D

BTW, PM me if you need to about what we talked about last week.

So far nothing new to report.

Other than hearing my liver scream "no mas" after the last two weeks...

alnorth
05-19-2005, 11:19 PM
Just got back. Color me dissappointed.

etc etc etc

Well, theres always at least a few. From Casablanca to Waterworld, some people will always be pissed at good movies, and some people will love horrible movies.

This aint Shakespear, but to say it wasnt better than Clones... I wont say your wrong because its impossible to be right or wrong in a review, its all your opinion.

I'll just say you will likely be very lonely in your opinion. I think you were expecting God's gift to movies, and instead merely got a pretty good movie, far short of absolute perfection.

sd4chiefs
05-19-2005, 11:22 PM
I liked it but I would have enjoyed it more if I had stuck my fingers in my ears when Anakin and Padme were in a sceen together.

alnorth
05-19-2005, 11:22 PM
I heard a few people complain about Vader's reaction and that puzzles me. Episode IV takes place 20 years after. The new vader is not the same hardened older evil man as the original. He is still mostly Anakin Skywalker.

I mean think about it. You sold your soul to Satan, killed little kids, murdered everyone you ever respected all in a Faustian bargain to keep your wife alive. Then you find out you murdered her, WTF were you expecting? What would YOU do in his shoes? A shrug of the shoulders and a sigh? A little tear running out of the helmet? Now THAT would have been rediculous. In episode 4 hes had 20 years to mourn and tame his internal demons to become the cold calculating machine he is. In episode 4 he has no compassion left, but at the end of 3, he aint there yet. To plop the old vader down into that moment would have been.... rediculous.

alnorth
05-19-2005, 11:23 PM
I liked it but I would have enjoyed it more if I had stuck my fingers in my ears when Anakin and Padme were in a sceen together.

Agreed, Lucas cant write love scenes. Seriously, he should have asked for help in those few parts if nowhere else.

Frazod
05-19-2005, 11:24 PM
Well, theres always at least a few. From Casablanca to Waterworld, some people will always be pissed at good movies, and some people will love horrible movies.

This aint Shakespear, but to say it wasnt better than Clones... I wont say your wrong because its impossible to be right or wrong in a review, its all your opinion.

I'll just say you will likely be very lonely in your opinion. I think you were expecting God's gift to movies, and instead merely got a pretty good movie, far short of absolute perfection.

I got what should have been a damn good movie dragged through the muck by a writer/director who can't write good dialogue or get good performances out of otherwise decent actors.

All the ingredients were there. They weren't mixed properly.

And if you thought Waterworld was a good movie, well... damn. :shake:

Frazod
05-19-2005, 11:25 PM
So far nothing new to report.

Other than hearing my liver scream "no mas" after the last two weeks...

Keep me posted.

And remember, you have a regular liver, not an ENDelt liver. :D

Count Zarth
05-19-2005, 11:26 PM
I heard a few people complain about Vader's reaction and that puzzles me. Episode IV takes place 20 years after. The new vader is not the same hardened older evil man as the original. He is still mostly Anakin Skywalker.

I mean think about it. You sold your soul to Satan, killed little kids, murdered everyone you ever respected all in a Faustian bargain to keep your wife alive. Then you find out you murdered her, WTF were you expecting? What would YOU do in his shoes? A shrug of the shoulders and a sigh? A little tear running out of the helmet? Now THAT would have been rediculous. In episode 4 hes had 20 years to mourn and tame his internal demons to become the cold calculating machine he is. In episode 4 he has no compassion left, but at the end of 3, he aint there yet. To plop the old vader down into that moment would have been.... rediculous.

That's exactly how I see it.

Although...yeah, I did cringe a bit when the NOOOO! line was delivered.

Maybe a better reaction would have been to have Vader just fall to his knees and bow his head. I didn't have a problem with the rest of the dialogue in that scene.

What I DID want was MORE James Earl Jones dialogue. A few words as they were looking out the window at the Death Star would have been nice.

alnorth
05-19-2005, 11:26 PM
And if you thought Waterworld was a good movie, well... damn. :shake:

uhh... no sh** Sherlock, reread my quote. I named people hating good movies, I gave Casablanca as an example. I named people loving bad movies, I needed an example for that one too.

Frazod
05-19-2005, 11:29 PM
uhh... no sh** Sherlock, reread my quote. I named people hating good movies, I gave Casablanca as an example. I named people loving bad movies, I needed an example for that one too.

It just really disturbed me seeing the greatest movie of all time mentioned in the same sentence with that water-logged Road Warrior ripoff.

keg in kc
05-20-2005, 01:47 AM
I had two issues with the film, one the same as others mentioned: the anakin/padme scenes. I don't think that was the writing, however, I think it was the delivery, the acting. portman was awful, the whole film. The other problem I had was that the transformation of both the emperor and of anakin was too abrupt. But I suppose that's a by-product of cutting the film down to 2.5 hours. In any case, it just didn't feel right to me, and that hurt the end of the film for me.

(the emperor's appearance bothered me a little too, I forgot to mention)

And that was it. I expected to get bored during the film. I didn't. I expected to hate christensen's acting. I didn't, except for the padme scenes. I thought obi wan was perfect. mace was better than in either of the first two films. There was less cute-ness. Oh, one other thing I didn't get was grievous coughing. That bugged me. But overall I thought it was the best of the prequels, although it didn't redeem them (TPM at least) in any way.

And I think we've finally hit a watershed. After Lord of the Rings raised the CGI/reality bar, Revenge of the Sith followed suit; this was the first Star Wars film where I felt the rendered graphics seamlessly melded with the live action. The whole film felt natural to me, for the first time, and that's really an amazing thing.

The real test will be how it stands up to repeat viewings. I may see this one in a theater again in a couple of weeks.

Pants
05-20-2005, 01:51 AM
I had two issues with the film, one the same as others mentioned: the anakin/padme scenes. I don't think that was the writing, however, I think it was the delivery, the acting. portman was awful, the whole film. The other problem I had was that the transformation of both the emperor and of anakin was too abrupt. But I suppose that's a by-product of cutting the film down to 2.5 hours. In any case, it just didn't feel right to me, and that hurt the end of the film for me.

(the emperor's appearance bothered me a little too, I forgot to mention)

And that was it. I expected to get bored during the film. I didn't. I expected to hate christensen's acting. I didn't, except for the padme scenes. I thought obi wan was perfect. mace was better than in either of the first two films. There was less cute-ness. Oh, one other thing I didn't get was grievous coughing. That bugged me. But overall I thought it was the best of the prequels, although it didn't redeem them (TPM at least) in any way.

And I think we've finally hit a watershed. After Lord of the Rings raised the CGI/reality bar, Revenge of the Sith followed suit; this was the first Star Wars film where I felt the rendered graphics seamlessly melded with the live action. The whole film felt natural to me, for the first time, and that's really an amazing thing.

The real test will be how it stands up to repeat viewings. I may see this one in a theater again in a couple of weeks.

The wholl Grievous coughing thing falls in the same category as driods having emotions in SW. Makes it hella lame, IMO.

keg in kc
05-20-2005, 01:55 AM
The wholl Grievous coughing thing falls in the same category as driods having emotions in SW. Makes it hella lame, IMO.It was one of those things that probably sounded like a cool idea, but was nothing more than an unnecessary distraction in the end, simply because they never explained what it was about.

In fact, I kind of feel that way about the whole grievous character. He looks cool, and I know he ties in with clone wars, but he's really just a character just dumped into the film without an iota of backstory. That bugs me.

Count Zarth
05-20-2005, 02:06 AM
The wholl Grievous coughing thing falls in the same category as driods having emotions in SW. Makes it hella lame, IMO.

Well, there's a good explanation for Greivous coughing. He's a cyborg. He has living innards.

Boyceofsummer

I was really glad they didn't overdo Chewie's role, too.

I really enjoyed the Chancellor's rescue at the beginning, from start to finish. The best Star Wars swashbuckling action since Han, Luke and Leia were galavanting around in the corridors of the Death Star. :)

I'm still laughing at R2. Those Super Battle Droids got OWNED! ROFL

Carmen Electra's tits get ****ed in this latest STAR WARS flick. Please say Han Solo thrust his light saber over and over and over until the climax.......of the movie. Is Carmen Electra in this movie? Dosen't matter now.

Count Zarth
He looks cool, and I know he ties in with clone wars, but he's really just a character just dumped into the film without an iota of backstory. That bugs me.

Greivous backstory is explained in a couple of comic books. It's quite cool, actually. Dooku recruits him.

Pants
05-20-2005, 02:09 AM
Well, there's a good explanation for Greivous coughing. He's a cyborg. He has living innards.

He had a human heart and a human brain. Couging requieres a lot more than that.

Count Zarth
05-20-2005, 02:12 AM
He had a human heart and a human brain. Couging requieres a lot more than that.

No, he has alot more than that. Read the comic book. Also, he's not human.

Also, as far as droids have personalities..they've ALWAYS been that way, so I don't know what you're complaining about. Star Wars wouldn't be quite as cool without eccentric droids like R2-D2.

Count Zarth
05-20-2005, 02:18 AM
Here's some Greivous backstory from the OS. He had a huge role in the Clone Wars cartoons, too. Cool guy, easily my favorite villain of the PT.

When the greedy corporate titans and the disenfranchised systems of the galaxy pooled their resources together to leave the aging Galactic Republic behind, they became the Confederacy of Independent Systems. Their military assets formed a droid army of seemingly limitless size -- a weapon that needed a military mastermind to wield effectively.

From within the ranks of the Confederacy came General Grievous, a brilliant strategist unhindered by compassion or scruples. His lightning strikes and effective campaigns caused his reputation to grow in the eyes of a frightened Republic. To many, he eclipsed the threat posed by Count Dooku, the charismatic leader of the Confederacy's political battlefields -- Grievous was the face of the enemy.

A twisted melding of flesh and metal, General Grievous' body is a deadly weapon forged by the cutting edge developers of the Confederacy. Within the hardened carapace beats the heart of a remorseless killer. Grievous hunted Jedi for sport and proudly displayed his victims' lightsabers around his belt as trophies of his conquests. His unorthodox fighting form and mechanical enhancements gave him an edge in close-quarters combat, and his strategic ingenuity and flawless cunning rendered him almost invincible against the Jedi.

In the final stages of the Clone Wars, Grievous orchestrated a daring strike against the heart of the Republic. His flagship led a fleet of massive warships to Coruscant, where an immense battle raged in the upper atmospheres of the capital world. The fighting had gone on long enough -- one way or another, this strike would lay the foundation for the end of the war. Grievous was determined to be victor, and hoped to add the lightsabers of the most famous Jedi warriors -- Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi -- to his grisly collection.

Pants
05-20-2005, 02:18 AM
No, he has alot more than that. Read the comic book. Also, he's not human.

Also, as far as droids have personalities..they've ALWAYS been that way, so I don't know what you're complaining about. Star Wars wouldn't be quite as cool without eccentric droids like R2-D2.

Yeah, OK, he's not human, but I meant his non-droid parts. In the movie you can clearly see his heart and blood vessels sitting in the middle of a hollow chest, the rest (besides his head/eyes) appears to be mechanical.

And that's what I mean about emotional driods - it makes the whole SW series look lame, not just Ep. III - my opinion, please don't get offended.

Count Zarth
05-20-2005, 02:21 AM
That's fine...but I don't really see anything wrong with it.

Grevious has organs yes, but he was never human. He was a kaleesh warlord.

Here's a page from his comic.

http://img205.exs.cx/img205/9048/visionnairiesgg56hb.jpg

Pants
05-20-2005, 02:23 AM
That's fine...but I don't really see anything wrong with it.

Grevious has organs yes, but he was never human. He was a kaleesh warlord.

I guess the kaleesh cough with their hearts.

Count Zarth
05-20-2005, 02:24 AM
I guess the kaleesh cough with their hearts.

Why do you think he has only a heart? Let me go find the incredible cross sections scan...he has a trachea and all that shit.

Pants
05-20-2005, 02:25 AM
Why do you think he has only a heart? Let me go find the incredible cross sections scan...he has a trachea and all that shit.

I don't care what the comics say, I'm basing my opinion on what I saw in the movie. Your link also seems to support my theory rather than yours.

Count Zarth
05-20-2005, 02:29 AM
I don't care what the comics say, I'm basing my opinion on what I saw in the movie. Your link also seems to support my theory rather than yours.

Um, no. It shows he's just a parapalegic.

And the visual dictionary confirms that I'm right, too. Brain, spinal cord and INTERNAL ORGANS. That means..all of em.

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/9016/vdgrievous27kz8us.jpg

Pants
05-20-2005, 02:30 AM
Um, no. It shows he's just a parapalegic.

And the visual dictionary confirms that I'm right, too. Brain, spinal cord and INTERNAL ORGANS. That means..all of em.

Did you see the movie? All there was - were hearts and vessels. I also thought to myself how exposed they are, with only a chest and back plate covering them up.

Count Zarth
05-20-2005, 02:34 AM
How do you know he doesn't have other organs elsewhere? He MUST have other organics and they're all connected, otherwise the entire inside of his carapace wouldn't have burst into flames when Obi-Wan blasted it....YOU'RE WRONG!

Pants
05-20-2005, 02:36 AM
How do you know he doesn't have other organs elsewhere? He MUST have other organics and they're all connected, otherwise the entire inside of his carapace wouldn't have burst into flames when Obi-Wan blasted it....YOU'RE WRONG!

I'm surprised at your inferior SW knwoledge. I really thought you knew Star Wars better.

Count Zarth
05-20-2005, 02:37 AM
I'm surprised at your inferior SW knwoledge. I really thought you knew Star Wars better.

Right. Even though...you have zero evidence backing up your claim. And I have quite a bit.

Pants
05-20-2005, 02:39 AM
Right. Even though...you have zero evidence backing up your claim. And I have quite a bit.

ROFL This is the funniest discussion I have ever had on CP.

Count Zarth
05-20-2005, 02:42 AM
ROFL This is the funniest discussion I have ever had on CP.

You're just goading me along now. Ukranian scum!

Pants
05-20-2005, 02:47 AM
You're just goading me along now. Ukranian scum!

Now? I started right after my 2nd post here. lol

Count Zarth
05-20-2005, 02:48 AM
Now? I started right after my 2nd post here. lol

Where was Ackbar when I needed him...

Pants
05-20-2005, 02:52 AM
Where was Ackbar when I needed him...

Akbar is a retard compared to Spock.

digi2fish
05-20-2005, 03:04 AM
Well, I just got back.

It was a total blast (Darth Vader walked by me when I was in line. I yelled "WHAT'S UP DARTH!") and I am exhausted.

great to see you alive, master
I thought you were killed in the Jedi purge.

ROFL

keg in kc
05-20-2005, 03:16 AM
Greivous backstory is explained in a couple of comic books. I assumed it was explained somewhere else. However, it doesn't change that fact that it's a void in the film. The movie needs to be able to stand on its own merit. There are millions of people who aren't hardcore fans who'll see the film and have no idea what's happening. And they aren't going to go look in comic book or a novel for an explanation, they'll just mark it down as something that doesn't make sense. It's great to expand stuff from the movie, but the movie itself needs to be the centerpiece, not the EU stuff.

Count Zarth
05-20-2005, 03:16 AM
Akbar is a retard compared to Spock.

Count Zarth
05-20-2005, 03:17 AM
I assumed it was explained somewhere else. However, it doesn't change that fact that it's a void in the film. The movie needs to be able to stand on its own merit. There are millions of people who aren't hardcore fans who'll see the film and have no idea what's happening. And they aren't going to go look in comic book or a novel for an explanation, they'll just mark it down as something that doesn't make sense. It's great to expand stuff from the movie, but the movie itself needs to be the centerpiece, not the EU stuff.

Grievous doesn't even make it through the whole movie. Is any explanation really necessary other than the one given in the opening scroll? He's the droid leader.

keg in kc
05-20-2005, 03:19 AM
Grievous doesn't even make it through the whole movie. Is any explanation really necessary other than the one given in the opening scroll? He's the droid leader.I'm talking about his cough, not about him.

Count Zarth
05-20-2005, 03:26 AM
I'm talking about his cough, not about him.

Oh, THAT. I think that's even less of an issue. No one explained jack shit about Vader breathing funny when he stepped into that hallway in 1977.

duncan_idaho
05-20-2005, 09:28 AM
i noticed that someone asked about the stuff with qui-gonn jinn at the end of the movie... something that actually is pretty crucial to the understanding of the jedi, in my opinion, that was explained in the revenge of the sith novel but not in the movie...

You might remember that after the phantom menace, there was a big uproar from the star wars fan community about jinn's death - his body didn't dematerialize when he died - as Yoda and Obi-Wan's did in the original trilogy.

Here's the long winded explanation: After his death, Jinn discovered how to retain his individual essence in death... previously, jedi had simply become a part of the force, losing their memories, will, etc. When you see Yoda on the ship at the end, in meditation, he was conversing with Jinn through the force - Qui Gonn taught Yoda this new method, a way to retain your personality upon death... and Yoda in turn taught it to Obi-Wan.

This ties up a few loose ends:
1) The body disappearance thing: The Old Republic Jedi's bodies do not disappear upon death - look at the fallen Jedi in AoTC and RotS. The only Jedi whose bodies have disappeared in the six movies are Yoda and Obi-Wan. This leads to my next point...

2) Obi-Wan's death: When Vader kills Kenobi in the first movie, he has no idea what Kenobi is doing. This means that Obi-Wan uses a technique not known to the old Jedi because Anakin was privy to all of those teachings.

God, I'm a nerd, aren't I?

siberian khatru
05-20-2005, 09:57 AM
i noticed that someone asked about the stuff with qui-gonn jinn at the end of the movie... something that actually is pretty crucial to the understanding of the jedi, in my opinion, that was explained in the revenge of the sith novel but not in the movie...

You might remember that after the phantom menace, there was a big uproar from the star wars fan community about jinn's death - his body didn't dematerialize when he died - as Yoda and Obi-Wan's did in the original trilogy.

Here's the long winded explanation: After his death, Jinn discovered how to retain his individual essence in death... previously, jedi had simply become a part of the force, losing their memories, will, etc. When you see Yoda on the ship at the end, in meditation, he was conversing with Jinn through the force - Qui Gonn taught Yoda this new method, a way to retain your personality upon death... and Yoda in turn taught it to Obi-Wan.

1) The body disappearance thing: The Old Republic Jedi's bodies do not disappear upon death - look at the fallen Jedi in AoTC and RotS. The only Jedi whose bodies have disappeared in the six movies are Yoda and Obi-Wan. This leads to my next point...

2) Obi-Wan's death: When Vader kills Kenobi in the first movie, he has no idea what Kenobi is doing. This means that Obi-Wan uses a technique not known to the old Jedi because Anakin was privy to all of those teachings.

I think that's exactly right, but I hated how it was thrown in as "Oh, and by the way ..." I thought we were at least going to see Qui-gonn, but all it was was a short paragraph of exposition to address something mostly of interest only to fanboys (I'll include myself in that, although I'm not a gochiefs-level fanboy, just someone who's been there since May 1977).

Calcountry
05-20-2005, 01:43 PM
This is what I took from the movie. Very entertaining, worth the money, and I will see it again before it leaves the theatres, perhaps 2 more times.

I was right about the sith and their rights of ascension. They are constantly watching over each others shoulder and scheming how to betray one another while serving their own selfish interests. The apprentices scheme of taking in a new apprentice to help them overthrow the Lord, and the Lord watches over his apprentice and discards them as easily as an unwanted piece of trash when it suits him.

Sidious is the whole movie although I was a little disappointed with the unsophisticated level of deception that was necessary to turn anakin which leads me to the conclusion: Although Anakin possesed great skills in piloting, and saber fighting, he was the stupidest and most naive Jedi in the whole Galaxy. The cover up lie that Sidious had to think up off the cuff at the end, was so juvenile, that when Anakin bought it, Sidious almost looks surprised with a sheepish winsome grin. Kind of like, fug it, this is too easy, and now I got all this power on my side, lmao.

More takes later as I am so inspired, lmao.

Calcountry
05-20-2005, 01:46 PM
I'm surprised at your inferior SW knwoledge. I really thought you knew Star Wars better.Now this quote should have been more like, Dookoo voice on/"I'm dissapointed in you Gochiefs, I would have thought that your knowledge of Star Wars was superior to mine."

buddha
05-20-2005, 02:14 PM

No question about it. That was such a great sequence! I really disliked the fact that Lucas did away with Darth Maul in that movie. He would have been a great on-going character!

buddha
05-20-2005, 02:28 PM

That was an excellent explanation! Thanks.

Gravedigger
05-20-2005, 02:35 PM
Actually I thought the dialogue between Anakin and Padme was ten times better then clones. You actually believed they were in love. I think when vader asked where padme was that was necessary dialect because he did go to the dark side all because of her. The only thing I didn't like was when he broke out of his harnesses his first step made him look like frankenstein to me and that seemed a bit weird to me. But the dialect of anakin before the lightsaber battle with obi wan was dark when he yelled "You turned her against me" that was dark and cool as hell how he yelled that. Then at the end when he was looking up at obi wan and he yelled I hate you... I was like damn that gave me chills. But the best part of the movie is apparent and that is the beginnin of the lightsaber duel and then when yoda comes into the emporers office and just raises his hands and they fly into the wall that was hilarious.

Calcountry
05-20-2005, 07:00 PM
No question about it. That was such a great sequence! I really disliked the fact that Lucas did away with Darth Maul in that movie. He would have been a great on-going character!But it demonstrated the nature of the Sith. Palpatine routinely sends apprentices to their doom when he has no more use for them.

Defends him from the ambitious lusts for power that is the Dark Side.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but it was Siphedeous after Maul, then Dukoo(sp), then Anakin, then failed Luke conversion.

I liked the story that Palpatine had about a "great sith lord", can't remember his name, that "was so wise...", then he snikers as he says, "his apprentice killed him in his sleep." We all know that that dudes apprentice was none other than Palpatine.

Knowing of the nihilistic nature of the Dark side means his apprentice is his greatest threat, indeed, he played Chicken with Anakin when he had just discovered the truth of Sidious. Yet they have this incestuous need to augment their power base that they will risk it all to have an apprentice.

Fascinating. :hmmm:

Count Zarth
05-21-2005, 07:44 AM
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but it was Siphedeous after Maul, then Dukoo(sp), then Anakin, then failed Luke conversion.

You're a bit off here. Sifo-Dyas was never anyone's Sith Apprentice. He was just a dead Jedi. Count Dooku assumed his name when he ordered the clone army.

Anyway....

Palps - Maul

Maul dies

Palps - Dooku

Dooku dies (check out the look Dooku gives Palpatine right before he dies. Palpatine knew Dooku was going to try and overthrow him...so he needed some one else, which was...)

Palps - Vader

And then in the original trilogy you see it happening again. Vader tries to seduce Luke so they can overthrow the Emperor. And Palps is trying to replace Vader with Luke.

RedNeckRaider
05-21-2005, 07:58 AM
Will it be any good to a person who has only seen a couple of the movies, or do you need to go watch the others first?

keg in kc
05-21-2005, 08:11 AM
And then in the original trilogy you see it happening again. Vader tries to seduce Luke so they can overthrow the Emperor. And Palps is trying to replace Vader with Luke.I thought it was interesting how the Emperor said Vader would be more powerful than any of them. Were I think Emperor, I'd have killed him and found another minion.

Count Zarth
05-21-2005, 08:15 AM
I thought it was interesting how the Emperor said Vader would be more powerful than any of them. Were I think Emperor, I'd have killed him and found another minion.

At that point, Palps had gone through an awful lot to get Vader. And where else is he going to find another Jedi that will turn to the darkside?

Obviously there are in short demand...he wanted Luke bad when the time came.

Count Zarth
05-21-2005, 08:15 AM
Will it be any good to a person who has only seen a couple of the movies, or do you need to go watch the others first?

You should at LEAST see all 3 originals first.

keg in kc
05-21-2005, 08:20 AM
At that point, Palps had gone through an awful lot to get Vader. And where else is he going to find another Jedi that will turn to the darkside? I got the impression that the emperor was insinuating that he created anakin when he told his sith immortality parable. They left an awful lot about Palpatine open, which I thought was a good thing.

RedNeckRaider
05-21-2005, 10:07 AM
You should at LEAST see all 3 originals first.
I have seen the first two, and the one where they find the village full of little teddy bear looking things. I may check it out...got a extra light saber you can loan me? I hear you need one to get in. :)

Count Zarth
05-21-2005, 10:28 AM
I have seen the first two, and the one where they find the village full of little teddy bear looking things. I may check it out...got a extra light saber you can loan me? I hear you need one to get in. :)

If you've seen the original trilogy you should be fine. There are many references to Episode III in Episode IV alone.

Just make sure you read the opening scroll.

Skip Towne
05-21-2005, 11:16 AM
Yeah, RNR, you've come to the right place to get your nerd training.

Deberg_1990
05-21-2005, 11:44 AM
The only thing I didn't like was when he broke out of his harnesses his first step made him look like frankenstein to me and that seemed a bit weird to me.

I thought that was good. Lucas has commeted before that it would be a bit like Frankenstein when the conversion took place. Plus, it was the first time he had ever used those robotic legs in te full Vader suit, so that would have been about right. The only thing i didnt like was the pull back shot and him yelling Nooooooooooooo! when he found out about Padme. To me it looked like a Simpsons parody shot.

Calcountry
05-21-2005, 02:56 PM
Will it be any good to a person who has only seen a couple of the movies, or do you need to go watch the others first?Actually, it makes watching movies IV -VI necessary again from the standpoint of character development.

Originally, the audience was led along the same lines as Luke with the understimation of Yoda.

Now, after seing his exploits in the first 3 movies, a whole new definition is poured into his character and actions.

Originally, Darth was "the evil bad guy". Now, after watching him so naively and sefishly turn to the Dark, and murder a bunch of kids, it pours a whole new level of "bad guy" into him as he struts arround the galaxy looking for Luke.

Calcountry
05-21-2005, 02:59 PM
I thought it was interesting how the Emperor said Vader would be more powerful than any of them. Were I think Emperor, I'd have killed him and found another minion.Newly Dark Anakin attempted to turn Padme to his side, but she wasn't a Jedi, so I guess that doesn't piss off Palpatine. Teh point is, Anakin was already thinking ascension.

Calcountry
05-21-2005, 03:01 PM
At that point, Palps had gone through an awful lot to get Vader. And where else is he going to find another Jedi that will turn to the darkside?

Obviously there are in short demand...he wanted Luke bad when the time came.I suspect that Sideous was "laying down" a little when Windu was about to "kill" him. Once he had Anakin as an audience, he needed to sell his lie that the Jedi were turning on him, so he hammed it up to the point that his face got gnarled.

I suspect, that he could have zapped the chit out of Windu at will but was making it look good for sonny boy.

Calcountry
05-21-2005, 03:02 PM
You should at LEAST see all 3 originals first.I disagree, why force him to evolve the same way you did?

Calcountry
05-21-2005, 03:03 PM
I got the impression that the emperor was insinuating that he created anakin when he told his sith immortality parable. They left an awful lot about Palpatine open, which I thought was a good thing.My opinion is that the whole immortality was a fuggin lie, he knew that that was what Anakin wanted to hear, so he told him.

Exceedingly vain Anakin is.

Count Zarth
05-21-2005, 03:04 PM
I disagree, why force him to evolve the same way you did?

Um...well I think it's clear he doesn't really want to watch Episode I and II. And he doesn't need to. As long as he's seen the original trilogy, he should understand Episode III.

Calcountry
05-21-2005, 03:06 PM
Um...well I think it's clear he doesn't really want to watch Episode I and II. And he doesn't need to. As long as he's seen the original trilogy, he should understand Episode III.Fug it, my advice is to just watch Episode III, then Watch IV, then V, t hen VI, then you will have a totally knew experience than the rest of us confounded nerds that had to wait, fugging 30 fuggin years to get all the answers. You will have them in sequence with no fuggin guessing.

Count Zarth
05-21-2005, 03:10 PM
Fug it, my advice is to just watch Episode III, then Watch IV, then V, t hen VI, then you will have a totally knew experience than the rest of us confounded nerds that had to wait, fugging 30 fuggin years to get all the answers. You will have them in sequence with no fuggin guessing.

If he hasn't seen any Star Wars movies at all, he won't understand WTF is going on in Episode III.

Granted, watching them I-VI would be kind of cool, but it totally spoils the shock of watching Episode V and Vader's revelation to Luke.

Ari Chi3fs
05-21-2005, 03:28 PM
i was kind of surprised that he murdered those kids so quickly after turning to the dark side... The Emperor tells him that the Jedi are gonna overthrow the Republic... so in the meantime... go to the Jedi Temple and kill all who are there.

Yes master.

That was a little premature... IMO.

Calcountry
05-21-2005, 04:19 PM
If he hasn't seen any Star Wars movies at all, he won't understand WTF is going on in Episode III.

Granted, watching them I-VI would be kind of cool, but it totally spoils the shock of watching Episode V and Vader's revelation to Luke.It also makes that kiss Leia plants on Luke kind of incestuous.

Calcountry
05-21-2005, 04:22 PM
i was kind of surprised that he murdered those kids so quickly after turning to the dark side... The Emperor tells him that the Jedi are gonna overthrow the Republic... so in the meantime... go to the Jedi Temple and kill all who are there.

Yes master.

That was a little premature... IMO.Anakin was too eager to please. First his "I'll do anything you ask" BS in Ep II to Padmen, now he does the same thing for his new lover Sidious. He kneels and tells Sidious he is his bitch to command.

Anakin is so fuggin weak minded that I am surprised that the Jedi mind trick wouldn't work on the fug.

HC_Chief
05-21-2005, 04:44 PM
It was enjoyable.

About what I expected: ton of eye candy, shitty dialogue, and lightsaber duels. Worth the ticket price.

Calcountry
05-21-2005, 05:02 PM
It was enjoyable.

About what I expected: ton of eye candy, shitty dialogue, and lightsaber duels. Worth the ticket price.I like Eye Candy.

Prince22
05-21-2005, 05:54 PM
Great movie.
What made it even better was Jar Jar Binks didn't have one line.

Deberg_1990
05-21-2005, 10:11 PM
Granted, watching them I-VI would be kind of cool, but it totally spoils the shock of watching Episode V and Vader's revelation to Luke.

Exactly, This is why when my children are older, i will make them watch 4-6 first then 1-3. NOT 1-6. It sort of ruins the great Empire Strikes Back Cliffhanger.

Count Zarth
05-21-2005, 10:17 PM
Great movie.
What made it even better was Jar Jar Binks didn't have one line.

He has two.

Deberg_1990
05-21-2005, 10:24 PM
He has two.

Really?? I rememeber him in 2 scenes but i dont remember him saying anything?

Deberg_1990
05-21-2005, 10:41 PM
OK, one more question GoChiefs. Why is it that Vader could never sense that Leia was his daughter in the original trilogy?? I guess he always just assumed that he had one child, a boy?

Count Zarth
05-21-2005, 10:42 PM
Really?? I rememeber him in 2 scenes but i dont remember him saying anything?

He spoke.

Count Zarth
05-21-2005, 10:45 PM
OK, one more question GoChiefs. Why is it that Vader could never sense that Leia was his daughter in the original trilogy?? I guess he always just assumed that he had one child, a boy?

Beats the hell out of me. Leia never really did anything around him to make him look twice. Luke did (BOOOOOOOM!).

Ghost
05-21-2005, 10:47 PM
I found ROTS to be fairly entertaining, worthy of $6.50, but it wasn't a very good movie in its own right. ROTS is the first movie in the new trilogy to have character development, and is also the first in the new trilogy that could stand alone and be its own movie, and not part of something greater. What really helped this movie out and made it far superior to episode I&II, is that it drew so much strength from episode IV, one of the greatest movies of all time. However, after the coolness factor of the special effects wears off, and the light saber duels have fizzled, what is left is a very emaciated shell of a movie that has very few redeeming qualities outside of the visual effects. I'd give it a 2 out of 5.

Amnorix
05-21-2005, 11:47 PM

That's what I got out of it too. Totally retarded. The whole "Mitochlorians" (sp?) and immaculate conception is right up there with Ewoks and Jar Jar Binks as the STUPIDEST things in all of Star Wars.

Amnorix
05-21-2005, 11:47 PM

Agreed.

Amnorix
05-21-2005, 11:49 PM

It takes a retarded idea that was floating in the air and makes it a tied down retarded idea.

Utterly assinine. Can't believe Lucas reduced the connection the Jedi have with "the Force" to a measurable thing floating around in people's bloodstreams.

Amnorix
05-21-2005, 11:52 PM
Mace Windu is supposed to know the highest form of saber dueling.

I wish I hadn't been spoiled for what happened...I knew Anakin was going to come in and save Palps ass.

I'm pretty confident you'd have had it figured out even if you hadn't had specific knowledge. That wasn't exactly a hard to figure out development (to say the least), since Anakin had been suffering over his choice back at the Temple, and then decided to leave the Temple...

Amnorix
05-21-2005, 11:58 PM
Did you see the movie? All there was - were hearts and vessels. I also thought to myself how exposed they are, with only a chest and back plate covering them up.

Well, you see human eyes as well. It's really hard to say what else he had, as it was covered up with cyborg-type armor.

Whatever -- the lack of a backstory on him was a minor irritation at worst.

Amnorix
05-22-2005, 12:09 AM
I saw it tonight for the first time. Definitely and BY FAR the best of the "new" movies.

My main problem, actually, is that I'm so uninvolved with these characters, emotionally speaking, it was hard to get excited about any of it.

With the original movies, you CARED about the characters. Here, between the bad acting and the piss-poor character development in general, I just found myself generally unexcited and uninvolved in the whole thing.

A good movie, on a stand-alone basis, but the buildup for the characters throughout just didn't lead to a really exciting or satisfying ending.

For a perfect contrast, go watch the 3 Lord of the Rings flicks. If you want people to care about your characters and what happens to them, they just need more personality.

That said, Ian McDermid should be considered for a best supporting actor nomination. He was superb in a difficult role to carry out well. If he had tanked his role, the movie would have fallen to its knees right there.

trndobrd
05-22-2005, 12:20 AM

No one was suprised by that revelation. Search your feelings.

Taco John
05-22-2005, 12:44 AM
My main problem, actually, is that I'm so uninvolved with these characters, emotionally speaking, it was hard to get excited about any of it.

That's too bad. Oh well, you can't blame Lucas for that. There was so much opportunity to be involved.

Taco John
05-22-2005, 01:05 AM
I say that with a caveat... If you were looking for involvement with any number of the Jedi that are in there just because they need Jedi, then you've got a point. But if you are talking about not having an opportunity to get behind the heads of the main characters, I submit that you just didn't bother to try. My wife and I have been talking about the characters since we got home from the movie the last hour. The characters are plenty deep.

Count Zarth
05-22-2005, 01:07 AM
I can't help but feel sorry for Vader now. His character is truly tragic.

It ripped my heart out to see Obi-Wan leave parapalegic Anakin to burn alive on the shores of that molten river. Poor bastard.

Taco John
05-22-2005, 01:46 AM
Yep. The tragicness of the Vader character is what I'm left with. And the moment when he realizes he threw away his life for nothing... Wow. That was something. James Earl Jones NAILED the Anakin whine too... Just nailed it.

I love how rich this episode makes the entire trilogy. It set a domino effect off in my head as I was watching it, connecting bits and peices along the way. I'm glad I got geeked up for this movie and watched them all beforehand... It made the experience for me.

DJay23
05-22-2005, 08:34 AM

It ripped my heart out to see Obi-Wan leave parapalegic Anakin to burn alive on the shores of that molten river. Poor bastard.
I agree with that Gochiefs. Tha whole final sequence was pretty emotional. Mostly because Obi wan shows the most emotion you've seen from him in any of the 6 movies.

I saw it for the second time last night. I have to say my two favorite parts are:

Obi wan defeating Anakin as emotional as Obi wan has ever been, "You were the chosen one! You were supposed to destroy the dark side, not join it!"

Anakin (as harshy as he can muster) "I HATE YOU!"

Obi wan with an incredibly pained look, "Anakin, you were my brother, and I loved you."

Ian McDiarmid did a superb job acting (I think he should get a nomination for best supporting actor, but I doubt it will happen) but Ewan McGregor, IMO was a close second. The rest of the acting in the movie was serviceable, but not noteworthy.

My second favorite moment was when the vader mask is put on Anakin's face, with the condensation or smoke or whatever that was rolling out. Then a pause. Then the first, "CcccHhhh."

I loved the movie. Only a couple of really cheesy moments. The dialogue can always be better, but I don't think it was nearly as bad as the first two prequels and maybe even Jedi. The CGI was seemless IMO in this go round (with the exception of some of the fight scenes around the lava, especially when they were floating.)

KCWolfman
05-22-2005, 08:40 AM
Beats the hell out of me. Leia never really did anything around him to make him look twice. Luke did (BOOOOOOOM!).
You obviously missed the torture setup in Episode IV.

digi2fish
05-22-2005, 09:48 AM

IMO Obi-Wan should kill Anakin with his lightsaber while he was burnning, at least to finish it fast, and there won't be Darth Vadar....

it's a hole of the plot Lucas can't fill...

KCWolfman
05-22-2005, 10:04 AM
IMO Obi-Wan should kill Anakin with his lightsaber while he was burnning, at least to finish it fast, and there won't be Darth Vadar....

it's a hole of the plot Lucas can't fill...
Really?

"You cannot let your feeling guide your actions" seemed to be a mantra always chanted by Obi Wan

Count Zarth
05-22-2005, 02:30 PM
You obviously missed the torture setup in Episode IV.

That's still nothing SHE did.

b_cson
05-22-2005, 05:07 PM
Personally, I think the single worst part of the movie was the scene in which we find out that Padme is dying because "she seems to have lost the will to live."

I hated that bitch so much, and I wanted to see her die in the most gruesome way possible.

Darth Vader's "Nooooooo" line is a very close second.

Fortunately, the parts of the movie that kicked ass outnumbered the parts that were really lame by about 5 to 1.

It was a good movie. It didn't live up to my expectations, but there was probably no way that it could have.

KCWolfman
05-22-2005, 05:27 PM
That's still nothing SHE did.
Okay, you are the most force sensitive being in the entire universe, you are torturing your own daughter (who is second or third most sensitive in the universe) and you don't realize it?

Count Zarth
05-22-2005, 05:29 PM
Okay, you are the most force sensitive being in the entire universe, you are torturing your own daughter (who is second or third most sensitive in the universe) and you don't realize it?

I wouldn't go that far. Anyway, I can't think of any other explanation.

the Talking Can
05-22-2005, 07:13 PM
I say that with a caveat... If you were looking for involvement with any number of the Jedi that are in there just because they need Jedi, then you've got a point. But if you are talking about not having an opportunity to get behind the heads of the main characters, I submit that you just didn't bother to try. My wife and I have been talking about the characters since we got home from the movie the last hour. The characters are plenty deep.

huh?

I guess I really couldn't say, since every single time a character opened their mouths to robotically pronounce one the stupidest lines in movie history I was busy stabbing my testicles with a straw in order to punish myself for ONCE AGAIN paying money to support Lucas.

I am serious when I say that would have been an excellent movie if there were no dialogue at all.

The CGI was incredible. The Computer Characters were cool. The Humans were awful, in every way.

I forgot about the movie before I pulled into my driveway.

Loki
05-22-2005, 11:25 PM
overall liked the flick. worth the price of the ticket.

disliked the anakin/padme scenes. the padme character went from an
ass kicker to a milquetoast. what happened?

appreciated seeing how the sith ascention structure works. master
takes apprentice, teaches nasty stuff and then kills off apprentice
if apprentice doesn't off them first. neat.
what was somewhat bothersome (in regards to sith recruitment) is
how easily anakin was swayed by sidious:
sidious: anakin, go kill everyone you know and respect.
anakin: ummm... ok.
sidious: welcome to the dark side.

liked the general greivious character. don't know where he came from,
but thought he looked pretty cool. i thought obi-wan was sure to lose
a limb that time... not to be so.

the ending duel with obi-wan and anakin was a bummer. i knew it was
going to happen (as anyone who has seen the original series should)
but didn't expect it to make me feel hollow. i missed the lead up to
the duel (my kids were squirming for the restroom... arrgh classic...)
but got to see the fight and the legless, smoking results. bummer
for anakin, but he fulfilled his destiny. i'm surprised that obi-wan
wasn't compelled to end his friend's suffering, but then episodes
IV-VI would have been dead in the water. (best that he didn't...)

again, the flick was good and earned a loki thumbs up... been waiting
too long (was 7 when the first star wars came out) for them to wrap
these up.

anyone know if they're going to make the "supposed" episodes VII - IX?

alnorth
05-23-2005, 12:32 AM
going back to that goofy "did he have just heart and blood vessels, or were there lungs and stuff too" arguement, you be the judge. That light-colored thing to the left of the heart looks interesting to me.

digi2fish
05-23-2005, 04:47 AM
Really?

"You cannot let your feeling guide your actions" seemed to be a mantra always chanted by Obi Wan

I think to finish Vadar is also logical in the point.
:hmmm:

the Talking Can
05-23-2005, 05:26 AM
what was somewhat bothersome (in regards to sith recruitment) is
how easily anakin was swayed by sidious:
sidious: anakin, go kill everyone you know and respect.
anakin: ummm... ok.
sidious: welcome to the dark side.

ROFL

that's Lucas for you.....

the Talking Can
05-23-2005, 05:30 AM
the most interesting part of the movie was when an kid next to me asked "How does Darth Vader sneeze?"

KCWolfman
05-23-2005, 06:38 AM
I think to finish Vadar is also logical in the point.
:hmmm:
Why?

Because you know that he will eventually become the most powerful being? How do you know this?

Of course if you assume he can feel this, you can also assume that he was sensitive enough to the force to know that without Vader, a savior would not ever come to be against the Empire.

Amnorix
05-23-2005, 08:34 AM
huh?

I guess I really couldn't say, since every single time a character opened their mouths to robotically pronounce one the stupidest lines in movie history I was busy stabbing my testicles with a straw in order to punish myself for ONCE AGAIN paying money to support Lucas.

I am serious when I say that would have been an excellent movie if there were no dialogue at all.

The CGI was incredible. The Computer Characters were cool. The Humans were awful, in every way.

I forgot about the movie before I pulled into my driveway.

Ian McDermid was superb, I thought. The rest were anywhere between bad to "didn't suck".

HC_Chief
05-23-2005, 08:36 AM
You know when I got chills? During the trailer for <I>The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe</i>

Oh, you can bet your ass I'm going to see that one! :thumb:

siberian khatru
05-23-2005, 09:03 AM
You know when I got chills? During the trailer for <I>The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe</i>

Oh, you can bet your ass I'm going to see that one! :thumb:

My 10-year-old was literally shaking when he saw that, he was so excited. Looked a lot like LOTR, which he adores.

I love those books, I can't wait for the movie, either.

digi2fish
05-23-2005, 09:39 AM
Why?

Because you know that he will eventually become the most powerful being? How do you know this?

Of course if you assume he can feel this, you can also assume that he was sensitive enough to the force to know that without Vader, a savior would not ever come to be against the Empire.

nope....
since he's going to die, why not just finish him with the lightsaber?
put him in suffering is also a kinda feeling, and it's hate, it's the way leads to the dark side.... :p

HC_Chief
05-23-2005, 10:09 AM
My 10-year-old was literally shaking when he saw that, he was so excited. Looked a lot like LOTR, which he adores.

I love those books, I can't wait for the movie, either.

I was surprised... Peter Jackson really wanted to make that movie. I had heard he was going to direct it as soon as he finished King Kong; guess the studio chose someone else.

That "somone else" is Andrew Adamson: another kiwi :)
He directed the Shrek movies and was visual effects supervisor on a couple of other movies.

Over-Head
05-23-2005, 05:50 PM
Just got back from the theater.
Me and the better half went today (finally) . Now without hashing up everything that the other posts have said, I'll simply say:
All in all good movie.
Ties in the origional quite nicely.

Calcountry
05-24-2005, 10:40 AM

It ripped my heart out to see Obi-Wan leave parapalegic Anakin to burn alive on the shores of that molten river. Poor bastard.Obi-Wan should have "struck him down". Now that would have left everyone in a Classic Lucas quandery.

Calcountry
05-24-2005, 10:44 AM
You obviously missed the torture setup in Episode IV.Not only that, Leia was a Senator and had dealings with Vader on an ongoing basis.

Calcountry
05-24-2005, 10:46 AM
That's still nothing SHE did.She was a Senator. Dude, its not like its fuggin gospel or the Constitution or something. Part of the fun of this shit is seing everyones take on the infinite number of ambiguities that Lucas allows to crop up.

JMHO

Biohazard
05-24-2005, 02:14 PM
Great show, just remember that if your going to have a saber fight with your sister(light the glass tube filled with fuel away from your face) just wanted to make that clear thank you for your time!!! :p

Uncle_Ted
05-24-2005, 04:16 PM
I haven't read the rest of this thread, but I just got back from the theatre, so for anyone who cares, here's my 2 cents:

Liked the story but dialog was iffy. Sometimes I would hear a line and think "that would have sounded better if the character had said ____ instead."

Grievous was cool, but I read the book about the happenings immediately prior to this movie. So I knew his backstory. Without that, I would have thought "what the hell is this supposed to be?"

I don't generally like how Lucas has portrayed the Jedi in the prequels as "Batman with a few force powers and a cool sword." The first 3 movies build up the force as a mystical power that plugs you into the world and can provide you with superhuman sensory abilities and powers. In the last 3, they talk about the force a lot but really it's used the same way it is used in the games -- jump higher, deflect blaster shots, push things around once in a while, choke people. Not a lot of creativity. Moreover, I hate the gadgets the Jedi use (underwater breathing tubes, Batman-style grappling hooks, etc.). Jedi, in my mind, should be using the force to accomplish these tasks. I think the books tend to do this much better than the movies (of course, Lucas didn't write the books).

I didn't like what I felt was the "time compression" factor. This annoyed me at several points, but the one that sticks out is the final battle. The way the movie cuts back and forth, the viewer is meant to believe that the Anakin-Kenobi duel is happening at the same time as Yoda vs. Emperor. Yet things are happening which could not be happening simultaneously -- the clone troopers supposedly conduct a search and report that they cannot find Yoda. Then the emperor says "Bring my shuttle, I sense Lord Vader is in trouble" and he shows up at some undetermined time after the battle to rescue Vader. Granted, perhaps Vader's hate + dark side of the force could have kept him alive for quite some time, but exacly how much time are we to believe has elapsed? The movie doesn't give any indication.

Overall, a lot of the scene transitions don't leave the viewer with a very good sense of how the timing of the movie is being played out.

And I didn't like the end scene on the bridge of the star destroyer. A chunk of the death star is already being built? By whom? Not the Genosians (the ones that designed it) they were routed at the end of episode II. And where did the non-clone naval crews for the star destroyers all come from? While it's easy to believe that at least a few citizens of the republic would join up to fight, there is never any allusion to this in the movies. (And I believe the audience is meant to believe that all republic troops were clones -- and that all were secretly programmed to carry out the emperor's order 66 to eliminate the jedi.)

Despite the criticisms, I didn't feel let down this time around. Much better than ep. II, and light-years better than ep. I.

P.S. Would have liked to have seen the ghost of Qui-Gon appear at the end, when Yoda talks about communicating with him.

Count Zarth
05-24-2005, 04:24 PM
ROFL

Deberg_1990
05-24-2005, 05:42 PM
And I didn't like the end scene on the bridge of the star destroyer. A chunk of the death star is already being built? By whom? Not the Genosians (the ones that designed it) they were routed at the end of episode II. And where did the non-clone naval crews for the star destroyers all come from? While it's easy to believe that at least a few citizens of the republic would join up to fight, there is never any allusion to this in the movies. (And I believe the audience is meant to believe that all republic troops were clones -- and that all were secretly programmed to carry out the emperor's order 66 to eliminate the jedi.)

I was a little puzzled by this as well. By my guess, Episode 3 was set 20-25 years before episode 4 right? In Episode 4, it seems implied that the Death Star is not that old by what some of the characters say. such as "This battle station is now the Ultimate Power in the universe!" hat appears to me that it couldnt be more than a few years or months old??? Lucas appears to have sloppily put his puzzle pieces together??

Count Zarth
05-24-2005, 05:52 PM
I was a little puzzled by this as well. By my guess, Episode 3 was set 20-25 years before episode 4 right? In Episode 4, it seems implied that the Death Star is not that old by what some of the characters say. such as "This battle station is now the Ultimate Power in the universe!" hat appears to me that it couldnt be more than a few years or months old??? Lucas appears to have sloppily put his puzzle pieces together??

18 years.

Hey, apparently it took 18 years to build the Death Star. I don't see a problem with this. Do any of you have experience building Death Stars?

Deberg_1990
05-24-2005, 05:56 PM
18 years.

Hey, apparently it took 18 years to build the Death Star. I don't see a problem with this. Do any of you have experience building Death Stars?

OK, brings up another Lucas blunder. Just how Old is Obi-Wan in episode 3 and 4? I would guess in 3 he is about 30 or so? in 4 he looks and acts about 60-65?? A little more than 18 years between chapters???

Count Zarth
05-24-2005, 06:01 PM
OK, brings up another Lucas blunder. Just how Old is Obi-Wan in episode 3 and 4? I would guess in 3 he is about 30 or so? in 4 he looks and acts about 60-65?? A little more than 18 years between chapters???

I've already explained this. There is no blunder.

Deberg_1990
05-24-2005, 06:09 PM
I've already explained this. There is no blunder.

Well i guess i missed it the 1st time. Can you go over it again?? The original guy who played Anakin in Episode 6 also would have been too old as well. Hes waaay more than 18-25 years older than Hayden Christianson.

Count Zarth
05-24-2005, 06:13 PM
Well i guess i missed it the 1st time. Can you go over it again?? The original guy who played Anakin in Episode 6 also would have been too old as well. Hes waaay more than 18-25 years older than Hayden Christianson.

Obi-Wan was 39 in Episode III. 39+18=57. Alec Guinness was approximately 60 at the time of filming Episode IV. So there's no age discrepancy there.

As for Anakin, not seeing a sun for 20 years will do that to you. There's also the fact that he was using the darkside all those years, which accelerates aging.

Deberg_1990
05-24-2005, 06:16 PM
Obi-Wan was 39 in Episode III. 39+18=57. Alec Guinness was approximately 60 at the time of filming Episode IV. So there's no age discrepancy there.

As for Anakin, not seeing a sun for 20 years will do that to you. There's also the fact that he was using the darkside all those years, which accelerates aging.

Hmm....strangly, you make alot of sense......Obi-Wan was 39 huh?? How old is Ewen McGregor now? probably about 30-35 right? I guess with the beard and alll, he passed for 39-40. Interesting...

Count Zarth
05-24-2005, 06:18 PM
Hmm....strangly, you make alot of sense......Obi-Wan was 39 huh?? How old is Ewen McGregor now? probably about 30-35 right? I guess with the beard and alll, he passed for 39-40. Interesting...

Ewan is 34.

Deberg_1990
05-24-2005, 06:22 PM

Of course, this could have been the "real" reason Lucas inserted Hayen into the new DVD's.

DJay23
05-24-2005, 06:27 PM
I think you'd look a little hellish after being cooped up in a suit for 20 years with scorched skin.

Calcountry
05-24-2005, 06:32 PM
Ewan is 34.Like I said before: 34+18<60 and Frankly Guiness appears older than 60 in IV.

DJay23
05-24-2005, 06:33 PM
If y ou look, they put a little bit of gray in his temples.

Count Zarth
05-24-2005, 06:35 PM
Like I said before: 34+18<60 and Frankly Guiness appears older than 60 in IV.

Well he wasn't. Sorry!

Besides, even if he does APPEAR older, don't you think living in a desert baked by twin suns for 20 years would make anyone appear older?

Lzen
08-08-2005, 02:16 PM
Well I finally got around to seeing this flick last night. Yeah, I'm a little late to the party. :) All I can say is wow, that was a cool movie. I thoroughly enjoyed it despite the few shortcomings that have been discussed already. I really liked the way they tied up a lot of loose ends to Ep. IV, V, VI.

BTW, I wonder how many of us are complaining that this new trilogy is worse than the originaly are doing it because we've grown up since we watched the first 3. I was about 5-6 when the first Star Wars came out and therefore got to see them all when I was still a kid. Over the years as an adult, I've become more observant and critical of movies. I just wonder if it's more the fact that the people who grew up on the original Star Wars trilogy are now grown up and view the films through a much different perspective. Either way, I'm glad I finally got the chance to see them all. :thumb: