PDA

View Full Version : Dean: No player safe in KC secondary

keg in kc
05-19-2005, 04:53 AM
No player safe in KC secondary (http://chiefszone.cjonline.com/stories/051905/chi_secondary.shtml)

By Rick Dean
The Capital-Journal
Published Thursday, May 19, 2005

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Sammy Knight is playing a familiar position, strong safety. But doing so with a new team means the former Miami Pro Bowl player is not yet especially comfortable.

Greg Wesley is playing with familiar Kansas City teammates. But he's learning a new position -- free safety -- that takes him out of his comfort zone as the Chiefs starting strong safety for the past five years.

Cornerback William Bartee has returned to the comfort zone of his old college position -- he was a safety at Oklahoma -- but his status with the Chiefs is anything but comfortable.

And Jerome Woods, his nine-season Chiefs career also on the line, has yet to return to the playing field after missing six games last year with an injury. Coach Dick Vermeil clearly is uncomfortable with his absence.

In making the personnel changes necessary to upgrade the NFL's worst pass defense of 2004, the Chiefs created a situation where no one in their last line of defense feels safe. Which is probably exactly the way it ought to be.

"Everything is open right now," said Bartee, who is working at safety in the Chiefs spring program this week after an unsuccessful four-year attempt to become a starting cornerback. "Right now in our (defensive backfield) there are maybe three positions that are locked. Everyone else is fighting to make the team."

The three locks would appear to be Knight at strong safety, fellow ex-Dolphin Patrick Surtain at left corner and Eric Warfield at right corner. Everyone else is in a fight for their job.

Wesley also seems on solid ground, even if it means battling Woods -- his long-time backfield mate and mentor -- for Woods' starting free safety job.

"That's the National Football League -- guys change positions all the time," Wesley said Thursday after teamming for a second day with Knight as the first-team safeties. Corners to safeties, safeties to corners -- you've got to be versatile. There are differences in assignments between strong and free safety in this system, but it's nothing I can't handle."

As for battling an old friend for his job. That's regrettable, Wesley admits, but there's nothing he can do but work to win the battle.

"All I can do is take care of myself. I can't worry about anybody else."

Woods, who has played essentially 1 1/2 seasons over the past three years because of injuries, hasn't even begun to fight yet. He's missed the Chiefs first two on-field sessions with what are described only as personal reasons. And though the defensive transition of the Chiefs has just begun, Woods needs to be here to be part of it.

"Jerome Woods is an outstanding young man who has never been a problem in this organization," said Vermeil, who hopes to see Woods in action today. "I was told he had some personal problems. I just think the timing of those problems is bad. He ought to be here."

The Chiefs usually keep four safeties on their 53-man regular-season roster. It would behoove any reserve candidate this year to be able to play like an extra corner in a nickel or dime defense.

Let the battle begin, Wesley said.

"The acquisitions we made were good," he said. "We've got a good corps of guys now, and the whole thing will play itself out. I have no control over it. Right now I'm in there, so I'll take it from there."

CHIEFS NOTES -- Chiefs running back Priest Holmes returned to on-field workouts for the first time Thursday since spraining his knee and missing the final eight games of the 2004 season.

Holmes, who set the NFL single-season touchdown record (27) in 2003, had 15 touchdowns last year before being injured in the season's eighth game. He did not require surgery.

Running in non-contact drills in the Chiefs' spring program Thursday, Holmes displayed no visible effects of his injury as he displayed a couple of quick bursts of speed.

Lzen
05-19-2005, 08:24 AM
Other than a couple factual errors, good article. I really like how Wesley's attitude seems to have changed and he's accepted his new role. Hopefully, having someone come in and steal his job will make him work that much harder to keep his new job.

PastorMikH
05-19-2005, 08:25 AM
"Right now in our (defensive backfield) there are maybe three positions that are locked. Everyone else is fighting to make the team."

The three locks would appear to be Knight at strong safety, fellow ex-Dolphin Patrick Surtain at left corner and Eric Warfield at right corner. Everyone else is in a fight for their job.

I guess that leaves 1 free safety spot open for them to fight over.

It is looking like Woods wants to be gone.

ct
05-19-2005, 08:40 AM
Imagine a Safety stable of (if we keep 5):

Knight, Wesley, Woods, Bartee, Harts

And a Corner stable of:

Surtain, Warfield, McCleon, Sapp

That's 9 active roster spots for the secondary, with Bartee as the swingman, filling in as S/CB in a dime package, or in an injury emergency. Likely pushes Battle and Pile off the roster, with Hodge on the PS.

Looks pretty good to me, but would much prefer an upgrade at CB3.

InChiefsHell
05-19-2005, 09:01 AM
A challenged or threatened Greg Wesley will come up as a pro bowl safety this season. He's got it in him, and now with Knight and Surtain to hang out with, I think our boy Greg comes up HUGE this season...

Amnorix
05-19-2005, 09:13 AM
Pats replaced 3/4ths of their secondary after a pathetic year on defense in 2002, and went on to win the SB the next year, so big turnovers in the secondary can affect both run and pass defense and tremendously improve the overall defense and team performance if it works out well.

StcChief
05-19-2005, 09:13 AM
Competition is a good thing. Makes everyone stronger.

Wesley could have that type of Pro Bowl season now that he's get more throws at him with Surtain on other side. Love to see it from him.

I think Woods is probably done as a Chief. Too bad.

ChiTown
05-19-2005, 10:02 AM
Competition is a good thing. Makes everyone stronger.

Wesley could have that type of Pro Bowl season now that he's get more throws at him with Surtain on other side. Love to see it from him.

I think Woods is probably done as a Chief. Too bad.

Methinks Woods=June 1st Cut

jspchief
05-19-2005, 10:09 AM
Woods was saying and doing all the right things this off-season, and now he's a no-show. His "personal" problems better be pretty important.

Wesley was saying all the wrong things this off-season, but when it's time to go to work, he's there trying to get the job done.

Looks like the balance has shifted.

FWIW, I'd like to keep both Woods and Wesley if at all possible. Granted they are expensive back-ups, but they would be damn talented ones. If we can afford it, I prefer either one of them over any of our other scrubs. I don't get the fascination with Harts. IMO he's a career back-up

Chiefnj
05-19-2005, 10:18 AM
I was hoping Scott Connot could make the squad.

shaneo69
05-19-2005, 10:30 AM
I was hoping Scott Connot could make the squad.

Same here. I'd rather give him a chance than watch Woods screw up again all year. Connot reminds me a bit of Gary Barbaro.

FS---Wesley, Harts, Connot
SS--Knight, Pile

Or, if you were sure no one would steal him, I'd hide Connot on the practice squad again and keep Bartee as the 3rd FS. But with the season he's having in Europe, that might be difficult to do.

Mr. Laz
05-19-2005, 11:58 AM
big turnovers in the secondary can affect both run and pass defense and tremendously improve the overall defense and team performance if it works out well.
i've been preaching that for almost 10 years now ... hopefully the chiefs have finally decided to deal with their secondary issues.

keg in kc
05-19-2005, 01:41 PM
Woods was saying and doing all the right things this off-season, and now he's a no-show. His "personal" problems better be pretty important.

Wesley was saying all the wrong things this off-season, but when it's time to go to work, he's there trying to get the job done.From what I've heard lately, that's not the case at all. There was that one article a while back which had the bit about Woods getting the speed trainer and Wesley being unhappy, but recently I've heard that Wesley was actually here working with the staff all offseason long, and that they were pleased about that.

whoman69
05-19-2005, 02:49 PM
Imagine a Safety stable of (if we keep 5):

Knight, Wesley, Woods, Bartee, Harts

And a Corner stable of:

Surtain, Warfield, McCleon, Sapp

That's 9 active roster spots for the secondary, with Bartee as the swingman, filling in as S/CB in a dime package, or in an injury emergency. Likely pushes Battle and Pile off the roster, with Hodge on the PS.

Looks pretty good to me, but would much prefer an upgrade at CB3.
I can't see us for cap reasons keeping both Woods and Wesley. Woods doesn't want to show up and compete, he will be cut. I would guess that his personal problems are figuring out what he will do with the bonus money he stole from us last year when all he wanted was retirement.

Lzen
05-19-2005, 04:30 PM
Same here. I'd rather give him a chance than watch Woods screw up again all year. Connot reminds me a bit of Gary Barbaro.

FS---Wesley, Harts, Connot
SS--Knight, Pile

Or, if you were sure no one would steal him, I'd hide Connot on the practice squad again and keep Bartee as the 3rd FS. But with the season he's having in Europe, that might be difficult to do.

Are you serious? Isn't Connot the one that kept giving up big plays in preseason last year? Didn't he pretty much suck? Worse than even ther rest of our pitiful secondary?

Deberg_1990
05-19-2005, 06:12 PM
Good, no player should be safe in this secondary. Not after the past 4 seasons.

KCChiefsMan
05-19-2005, 06:31 PM
No player safe in KC secondary (http://chiefszone.cjonline.com/stories/051905/chi_secondary.shtml)

As for battling an old friend for his job. That's regrettable, Wesley admits, but there's nothing he can do but work to win the battle.

"All I can do is take care of myself. I can't worry about anybody else."

natural born leader, what a team guy

stevieray
05-19-2005, 07:00 PM

did you not understand the context his statement?

beer bacon
05-19-2005, 07:03 PM
did you not understand the context his statement?

He is supposed to lay down and give up. What the hell is he doing fighting for a starting spot?!?

Brock
05-19-2005, 07:09 PM

You dolt.

Inspector
05-19-2005, 07:56 PM
"Running in non-contact drills in the Chiefs' spring program Thursday, Holmes displayed no visible effects of his injury as he displayed a couple of quick bursts of speed."

I heard he lost his burst. ROFL

Skip Towne
05-19-2005, 08:24 PM
"Running in non-contact drills in the Chiefs' spring program Thursday, Holmes displayed no visible effects of his injury as he displayed a couple of quick bursts of speed."

I heard he lost his burst. ROFL
That would be his second level burst that he lost. Taco explained it all to us.