PDA

View Full Version : KU's ONLY Scoring Threat may be out

chiefqueen
05-19-2005, 01:00 PM
http://www.kusports.com/news/mens_basketball/story/114497

Giddens injured in fight outside Lawrence bar

Eric Weslander, Journal-World
Thursday, May 19, 2005
Kansas University shooting guard J.R. Giddens was cut by a knife in a fight early this morning in the parking lot of the Moon Bar, 821 Iowa.
http://www.kusports.com/art/apps/pennynews/1116519762_giddens.jpgJ.R. Giddens (http://www2.kusports.com/stats/mens_basketball/athletes/j_r_giddens/) Lawrence police said Giddens was treated at Lawrence Memorial Hospital for a laceration to his leg. The wound was characterized as not life-threatening.
Giddens was one of at least six persons injured in the altercation, which happened about 2:20 a.m. today.
Reached this morning by the Journal-World, KU men's basketball coach Bill Self said he would have no comment until he obtained more information on the incident.
Police Sgt. Dan Ward said a 24-year-old Olathe man suffered head injuries. Giddens and four other men were injured by a four-inch folding knife wielded by the Olathe man. Four of those cut, including Giddens, were from Lawrence and one man from Topeka also was cut.
"Some of these individuals that were cut were possibly trying to break up a fight," Ward said. "Some of them were possibly involved in the fight. And that's what we're trying to determine conclusively."
Ward said there had been no arrests yet but that when the investigation was complete a report would be forwarded to the district attorney.

My Take: Even he will probably be okay physically, this is his second brush w/the law since signing his LOI & KU may bid him adieu.

Ari Chi3fs
05-19-2005, 01:05 PM
if he had hit more of his Tre's this past year, that Olathe dude, might have been nicer.

Demonpenz
05-19-2005, 01:06 PM
spokesman for JR's people said he will still be able to jack up 20-30 threes a game come basketball season

Mr. Kotter
05-19-2005, 01:22 PM
...My Take: Even he will probably be okay physically, this is his second brush w/the law since signing his LOI & KU may bid him adieu.

Are you always this premature? The article says there was a fight....he could have been involved, or could have been in the wrong place at the wrong time. Time will tell.

Pitt Gorilla
05-19-2005, 01:28 PM
Damn, I hope he's well enough for basketball season.

redbrian
05-19-2005, 01:30 PM
Are you always this premature? The article says there was a fight....he could have been involved, or could have been in the wrong place at the wrong time. Time will tell.

And KU likes to give their thugs multiple offenses before they get rid of them.

Spicy McHaggis
05-19-2005, 02:21 PM
At the Moon Bar? People go there?

Saulbadguy
05-19-2005, 02:38 PM
What a moron.

Skip Towne
05-19-2005, 02:48 PM
I'm sure he was trying to break up the fight.

Braincase
05-19-2005, 02:50 PM

Hey, at least he got into a fight with a guy.

Saulbadguy
05-19-2005, 02:54 PM
I'm sure he was trying to break up the fight.
I'm sure that was it. I bet he applied the same suffocating defense he uses on the basketball court.

Spicy McHaggis
05-19-2005, 02:55 PM

Hey we have a strict 17 strikes and you're out policy at KU. So STFU

:p

They kicked our most talented offensive player off the football squad so don't put it past them. I think he gets out of it though.

Lzen
05-19-2005, 03:19 PM
KU's "only scoring threat"? KU " may bid him adieu"? Where the heck do you come up with this stuff? :shake: :rolleyes: The team will be just fine with or without Giddens. And I think it's a bit premature to speculate on who's at fault.

Dave Lane
05-19-2005, 04:43 PM

He's under age at a bar and its 2:30 in the morning during the school week.

Next question or comment?

Dave

Demonpenz
05-19-2005, 04:46 PM
i think it's only fair we go ahead and blame him for this incident

Ultra Peanut
05-19-2005, 05:05 PM
Speaking of Thug U, Skip... :p

Seriously, that's awful, regardless of whether he instigated or was trying to be a peacemaker. Being stabbed must be terrible.

"Stabbing has to be the worst. If you get shot, you go, 'OW! Wow... I've been shot!' But if you're being stabbed, you see the knife come toward you and into you and you go, 'Ahhhh! The knife is STABBING ME! AH!!!! Stop stabbing me! AHHHHH!' ... When you get stabbed, you're there the whole time." - Nick Swardson

tk13
05-19-2005, 05:10 PM
I've seen him in action, there's no way he could've hit anything other than a brick.

Ultra Peanut
05-19-2005, 05:23 PM
I've seen him in action, there's no way he could've hit anything other than a brick.Buuuuuuuurned!

Lzen
05-20-2005, 08:22 AM
He's under age at a bar and its 2:30 in the morning during the school week.

Next question or comment?

Dave

First, how do you know he's under age? I think he's right about the age to be legal.

Second, when does school get out?

I've seen him in action, there's no way he could've hit anything other than a brick.

ROFL

Hey......wait......... :shake:

Saulbadguy
05-20-2005, 08:25 AM
First, how do you know he's under age? I think he's right about the age to be legal.

Second, when does school get out?

JR was born 2/13/85. He is not quite of legal age yet to be in a bar at that time of night.

School gets out at the end of this week at KU.

Pants
05-20-2005, 08:26 AM
It was a scratch on his quad. I don't think he spent any time in the hospital. People love being drama queens (not you this time, Kotter).

redbrian
05-20-2005, 09:10 AM
Posted on Fri, May. 20, 2005

Jason Whitlock

Poor decision proves troubling

JASON WHITLOCK

The problem for J.R. Giddens is that no one is all that surprised. If you had to peg a Kansas basketball player most likely to get involved in an ugly brawl, it would be Giddens.

His decision-making is just too poor right now.

So early Thursday morning Giddens, a pack of his teammates and a posse of jersey-chasers closed down a somewhat notorious and rowdy Lawrence nightclub, Moon Bar. Not surprisingly when things turned violent in the club’s parking lot, only Giddens and the jersey-chasers needed to be hospitalized. The six or seven other KU basketball players who stopped by the Moon Bar on Wednesday night and Thursday morning managed to escape the place without being injured.

Trouble has the easiest time finding the people looking for it. Giddens has been courting trouble.

You want to feel sorry for J.R. Giddens today. He’s not much different than the typical, 20-year-old college student. He likes to go out and have a good time. He likes to be recognized and is unafraid to draw attention to himself. It would be hypocritical for most of us to criticize Giddens for being at a nightclub at 2 in the morning. We’ve all done it.

And no matter what happened inside or outside the Moon Bar, J.R. Giddens didn’t deserve to be stabbed.

But rather than feel sorry for Giddens today, rather than view him as an innocent victim of America’s love affair with violence, I mostly hope that his latest example of bad decision-making teaches him a lesson, helps him mature.

It’s extremely foolish for a man with everything to lose to stick around and wait for trouble. Sometimes real men turn and run like cowards. It’s a safe bet that the 24-year-old Olathe man who allegedly stabbed Giddens and nearly ended Giddens’ basketball career had a lot less to lose than Giddens.

J.R. Giddens desperately wants to be the big man on KU’s campus. He has to learn to carry himself like a big man. He can’t let his insecurity trick him into making poor decisions. He must realize that being a KU basketball player makes him a target in Lawrence. People are going to try to provoke him, especially because he’s known around Lawrence as moody, emotional and arrogant.

“You know why they’re letting those kids in there?” Kansas athletic director Lew Perkins told me Thursday. “They use the kids to attract other people. This is about people coming into their establishment.

“We’ve told our kids not to go into (Moon Bar). We tell all of our underage kids not to go in anywhere. But we’ve told all of our kids about three or four places that we don’t want them going into.”

Trouble has the easiest time finding the people looking for it. And trouble isn’t hard to find. Everyone knows exactly where it is. At age 20, you can find trouble at most any nightclub, especially at 2 a.m. Everyone is tempted to go looking for trouble at some time in their life. Having the discipline to consistently avoid it is what separates successful people from the unsuccessful.

Giddens wants to earn a living playing professional basketball. He almost lost that opportunity Thursday morning, because during finals week he couldn’t pull himself away from a night of celebrating at a nightclub.

The injury to his calf will hinder his offseason conditioning and development. His plans of enhancing his overall game have been severely damaged. His chance of establishing himself as the leader of the team has vanished. He has opened the door for incoming freshman Micah Downs or transfer Rodrick Stewart to steal some of his minutes or his starting spot. Giddens has re-raised doubts about his off-court decision-making. He had just about buried the Wal-Mart fiasco that haunted him coming out of high school. Now he has given that story new life.

Young people rarely realize just how little foolishness it takes to destroy a lifetime of work. Youth also provides ample opportunity. It will be tough, but Giddens can recover from this. A few days lying in a hospital bed thinking about how close his career came to ending might just provide Giddens the motivation he needs to mature a little, to slow down and listen to the older people in his ear.

The Kansas coaching staff has been trying to reach Giddens for two years. It has been a struggle. Giddens’ off-court immaturity is mirrored on the court. Things will change for Giddens on and off the court after this, or he’ll become the next John Randle.

Pants
05-20-2005, 09:13 AM
Haha, Moon Bar is where all the Asians go for karaoke.

Lzen
05-20-2005, 09:21 AM
It would be hypocritical for most of us to criticize Giddens for being at a nightclub at 2 in the morning. We’ve all done it.

:thumb:

Lzen
05-20-2005, 09:23 AM
Very good article by Whitlock, btw.

KCChiefsMan
05-20-2005, 09:39 AM
Giddens is a dumbass, every time I go out to a crowded bar in town like Brothers or Johnnys I always see him there, so he goes out a drinks like crazy every night. I was on the dance floor right near him dancing with some girl one night, he just comes up in my face a flips the "WESTSIDE" at me......and then the girl dropped me like a bad habit and started grinding on him....hater

redbrian
05-20-2005, 09:40 AM
Has Self lost control of this team (if he ever had it), 6 or 7 members of the team go to a club that the coaching staff tells them to stay out of.

Pants
05-20-2005, 09:42 AM
Has Self lost control of this team (if he ever had it), 6 or 7 members of the team go to a club that the coaching staff tells them to stay out of.

Lew Perkins is not the coaching staff. School is over for some (1 more test for me, sigh).

KCChiefsMan
05-20-2005, 09:42 AM
JR was born 2/13/85. He is not quite of legal age yet to be in a bar at that time of night.

School gets out at the end of this week at KU.

all of the basketball team goes out and drinks at the bars all the time. Freshmen, sophmores...the cops let it slide. It's kinda funny that when cops walk into the bars and start checking people's IDs, they don't ask any of the basketball players for theirs.

Bearcat
05-20-2005, 09:50 AM

Yes.

She called the season over when Langford sprained his ankle against MU.

(and no, I won't agree that that was the case ;) )