PDA

View Full Version : Ouch ... harsh even in my book

Mr. Laz
05-19-2005, 02:48 PM
POSTED 6:52 a.m. EDT, May 19, 2005

CHIEFS DON'T KNOW HOW TO RING BELL?

Adam Teicher of The Kansas City Star recently reported that the Chiefs are trying to figure out whether to play recently-signed linebacker Kendrell Bell on the outside or the inside.

Asked one league insider in response, "Wouldn't those idiots figure that one out before they overpaid him?"

Really, there's a difference between outside and middle linebacker. Just ask Warrick Holdman, who's best chance at winning a starting job in D.C. is to move to the middle, which will make him the quarterback of the defense.

"You get a lot of plays and a lot of glory," Holdman said Wednesday, "but it's a lot of work and a lot of studying."

But it's one thing for the 'Skins to take a flier on Holdman, who say on the shelf for three months. It's quite another for the Chiefs to make a big splash on Bell in free agency -- and then not exactly know what they plan to do with him when it's time to take the field.

This is, in our view, further proof of the importance of having complete harmony between the coaching staff and the front office. We'd previously heard that head coach Dick Vermeil has little or no input in personnel issues, and the team's current conundrum is proof positive, in our view, that G.M. Carl Peterson was merely searching for bodies in free agency without regard to how those bodies would fit within the team's overall defensive scheme.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Stinger
05-19-2005, 02:50 PM
Asked one league insider in response, "Wouldn't those idiots figure that one out before they overpaid him?"
Does Athen really count as a league insider? :p

Idahored
05-19-2005, 02:52 PM
Well, since Gun is the one who gave the free agent list to Carl, then I would assume the blame is to be put on Gun.

However, I think Gun knows just a tiny bit more about how to use LB than the pencil jockeys at profootballtalk.com.

tk13
05-19-2005, 02:53 PM
Overpaid him? We paid him like a $3 million dollar signing bonus with options for other bonuses that could total up to $10 million later on... with today's market that's probably a steal.

KCTitus
05-19-2005, 02:55 PM
one word:

profootballtalkdotcom.

jspchief
05-19-2005, 02:57 PM
It's a legit point, but it sounds like their "league insider" has a bit of a bias against the Chiefs anyway.

I still think our injury situation on the outside has a little to do with us looking at Bell for OLB. We don't have any starter quality OLBs if Fujita and Barber aren't back.

Bob Dole
05-19-2005, 02:58 PM
Bob Dole has questioned the wisdom of bringing him in and moving him to another position.

We wouldn't think of switching Surtain to safety.

shakesthecat
05-19-2005, 03:00 PM
We don't have any starter quality OLBs if Fujita and Barber aren't back.

Maybe not. Sounds like DV is impressed with Key Fox in OTA's.

tk13
05-19-2005, 03:01 PM
According to Gunther, what he did in Pittsburgh at the RILB position was similiar to what he wants him to do at ROLB.

Gunther has said 3 or 4 times now that putting him at ROLB wouldn't change much from what he did in Pittsburgh at his natural position, which is why he put him there in the first place...

BigRedChief
05-19-2005, 03:08 PM
I trust Gun on this. He said he wanted Bell from the start. I'm sure if he wanted him he has a plan on how to use him.

Lzen
05-19-2005, 03:14 PM
According to Gunther, what he did in Pittsburgh at the RILB position was similiar to what he wants him to do at ROLB.

Gunther has said 3 or 4 times now that putting him at ROLB wouldn't change much from what he did in Pittsburgh at his natural position, which is why he put him there in the first place...

Thank you. I still don't understand why everyone thinks that he's a MLB.

shaneo69
05-20-2005, 12:54 PM
Adam Teicher of The Kansas City Star recently reported that the Chiefs are trying to figure out whether to play recently-signed linebacker Kendrell Bell on the outside or the inside.

Adam Teicher's an idiot. Gunther has said, almost from day 1, that Bell will play at ROLB.

This writer for PFT is an idiot for not knowing that Teicher is an idiot.

buddha
05-20-2005, 02:52 PM

When you need new starters at all three LB positions, who cares where they projected Bell to originally play? They didn't over pay for him, and he'll play where he is best suited to play. The KC LB corps is a target-rich environment for playing time.

TRR
05-20-2005, 02:57 PM
GUNTHER HAS NEVER SAID HE WILL PLAY AT OLB. HE HAS ONLY SAID HE IS STARTING OUT THERE, BUT THAT THERE WILL BE A FLOATING DEPTH/PLAYERS CHART THROUGHOUT CAMP.

I think I've typed that 50 times. Bell will start out at OLB, but he may be moved. The reason everyone thinks Bell was signed to play MLB is because we signed Bell mainly because Trotter went back to Philly. Trotter is definitely a MLB. Maybe we were trying to get both? Who knows. But obviously KC's personel dept thought there is a hole at MLB.

TRR
05-20-2005, 03:01 PM
Q: Where do you anticipate working Kendrell Bell, at Shawn Barber’s spot at ROLB?

CUNNINGHAM: “You know he (Bell) has never played in the middle before. I don’t think a lot of people realize that he was the right inside linebacker at Pittsburgh. That’s the equivalent of where Anthony Davis used to play. When I got enamored with Kendrell Bell when I was in Tennessee and he single-handedly took apart our offense. That’s what he is. He’s a powerful, explosive blitz guy. He played really as a right linebacker in Pittsburgh. What I don’t do to do is to get anybody to trap me into saying ‘he’s going to be this.’ We’ve got D.J. (Derrick Johnson) here, we’ve got Kendrell Bell, we’ve got Keyaron Fox, we’ve got Kawika Mitchell. We’ve got to see all these things. Through the OTAs we’re going to have a floating depth chart and position chart."

KevB
05-20-2005, 03:13 PM
Q: Where do you anticipate working Kendrell Bell, at Shawn Barber’s spot at ROLB?

CUNNINGHAM: “You know he (Bell) has never played in the middle before. I don’t think a lot of people realize that he was the right inside linebacker at Pittsburgh. That’s the equivalent of where Anthony Davis used to play. When I got enamored with Kendrell Bell when I was in Tennessee and he single-handedly took apart our offense. That’s what he is. He’s a powerful, explosive blitz guy. He played really as a right linebacker in Pittsburgh. What I don’t do to do is to get anybody to trap me into saying ‘he’s going to be this.’ We’ve got D.J. (Derrick Johnson) here, we’ve got Kendrell Bell, we’ve got Keyaron Fox, we’ve got Kawika Mitchell. We’ve got to see all these things. Through the OTAs we’re going to have a floating depth chart and position chart."

But, as TK said, he's also repeatedly compared Bell's RILB position to our OLB position. He's said that playing ILB in a 3-4 does not equate to a MLB in a 4-3. I don't have a quote, but I could swear I remember an interview with Gunther a short while back that said Bell was an OLB and an OLB only. I distinctly remember my initial thought was, "damn, that means Mitchell has a decent shot to start".

Having said all of this, just because our coaches are being vague to the media, doesn't mean they don't have a definitive plan for their personnel.

TRR
05-20-2005, 03:16 PM
But, as TK said, he's also repeatedly compared Bell's RILB position to our OLB position. He's said that playing ILB in a 3-4 does not equate to a MLB in a 4-3. I don't have a quote, but I could swear I remember an interview with Gunther a short while back that said Bell was an OLB and an OLB only. I distinctly remember my initial thought was, "damn, that means Mitchell has a decent shot to start".

Having said all of this, just because our coaches are being vague to the media, doesn't mean they don't have a definitive plan for their personnel.

He hasn't repeatedly said anything. He said the quote above ONCE. That's the only thing he has ever said about the Bell situation to my knowledge.

The plan right now is to have a floating depth chart with Bell at OLB for the moment. This is the ONLY quote from Gun on the "Bell situation." I've never heard Gun or Vermeil say anything other than that. To say, "Gun has stated that Bell is only playing OLB"...Is very untrue.

tk13
05-20-2005, 03:29 PM
Gun has never said Bell will without a doubt be an OLB, but he has brought up the RILB in a 3-4 to ROLB in his 4-3 connection on more than one occasion.

TRR
05-20-2005, 03:33 PM
Gun has never said Bell will without a doubt be an OLB, but he has brought up the RILB in a 3-4 to ROLB in his 4-3 connection on more than one occasion.

I'd like to see the other occasions. He's only been interviewed a couple times.

tk13
05-20-2005, 03:37 PM
Well crap, I guess my eyesight is failing me. Do you want my driver's license and birth certificate too? :)

I mean you have the quote right there, what more do you need? Gunther said clear as day Bell has never been a true MLB. I don't know how you can just pass over that like it's pointless while repeating the floating depth chart comment over and over.

TRR
05-20-2005, 04:48 PM
Well crap, I guess my eyesight is failing me. Do you want my driver's license and birth certificate too? :)

I mean you have the quote right there, what more do you need? Gunther said clear as day Bell has never been a true MLB. I don't know how you can just pass over that like it's pointless while repeating the floating depth chart comment over and over.

I definitely don't pass it over as being nothing. But what Gun doesn't say is that Bell never had a chance to play MLB because there is no MLB in a 3-4 scheme. Also, Bell played almost his entire career at MLB in college...So that "never played MLB" comment strictly applies to the NFL.

Rausch
05-20-2005, 05:01 PM
I really don't give a fat frog's ass where he plays. Anywhere he lines up he's our best LB.

Period.

Otter
05-20-2005, 05:04 PM
Being from Steelers territory I've watched Bell in many a game. He is an absolute flucking animal.

If he stays healthy ("if" being the keyword) this may be the best signing the Chiefs made since Priest Holmes.

I've driving the Bell Bandwagon, hop in, grab a brew and keep your hands to yourself.

milkman
05-20-2005, 09:14 PM
Regardless of what's been said, all indications are that Gun would like to use Bell at the ROLB position, but it's all contingent how Mitchell and other MLB candidates perform in OTAs and early TC.

go bowe
05-20-2005, 10:20 PM
. . . I've driving the Bell Bandwagon, hop in, grab a brew and keep your hands to yourself.aw, man...

that's the best part of riding the bandwagon... :(

go bowe
05-20-2005, 10:56 PM
Regardless of what's been said, all indications are that Gun would like to use Bell at the ROLB position, but it's all contingent how Mitchell and other MLB candidates perform in OTAs and early TC.boom-er! boom-err!! booomm-errrr!!! PBJ PBJ PBJ

Logical
05-20-2005, 11:18 PM
boom-er! boom-err!! booomm-errrr!!! PBJ PBJ PBJROFL

Logical
05-20-2005, 11:20 PM
I really don't give a fat frog's ass where he plays. Anywhere he lines up he's our best LB.

Period.

Bell no DJ
DJ no Bell
Bell no DJ
DJ no Bell
Bell no DJ
DJ no Bell
Bell no DJ
DJ no Bell
Bell no DJ
DJ no Bell
Bell no DJ