PDA

View Full Version : kcchiefs.com Q&A with DV 5/19

Coogs
05-19-2005, 01:53 PM
A with DICK VERMEIL
May 19, 2005, 2:48:41 PM

Q: Was holding out WR Dante Hall out of practice today just precautionary?

VERMEIL: “No, he couldn’t practice. He has a bruised muscle around the knee area. Just like Richard Smith, he can’t go.”

Q: How long will this keep him out?

VERMEIL: “Well I think he will probably miss three days or so, but treatment will help it. You’re always fortunate because you can say it could have been worse.”

Q: What kind of injury does CB Benny Sapp have? Was that an off-season injury?

VERMEIL: “No, it is like a groin strain. At first they thought it was a hernia, but he’s doing alright. We are going to be very cautious with it so he can go next week. He has had some problems with it all along though.”

Q: Are you keeping G Will Shields out of OTAs like your keeping out T Willie Roaf?

VERMEIL: “Just less wear and tear on his knees. He has some arthritis in his knees. We feel that the fewer RPM’s on the knees the better.”

Q: Any of the wide receivers sticking out?

VERMEIL: “Well Sammie Parker seems to make a play each day and Kris Wilson made a couple plays today. The other kids have a ways to go. Of course, Richard Smith was doing real well until he got hurt the other day. We know Dante Hall was also doing well. Craphonso (Thorpe) has a long ways to go and a lot of work to do, but all the stuff he is doing well. The good part about the young kids is that they are all handling the volume that we are giving them both offensively and defensively very well.”

Q: Does WR Sammie Parker have a good opportunity for substantial playing time?

VERMEIL: “Oh yeah. He has a chance at a starting job.”

Q: What about (WR) Nathaniel Curry?

VERMEIL: “You know he has been real impressive. I think Nathaniel first needs to think about making a practice squad. He has been impressive though. There’s no substitute for being bright. He is a very, very bright student of Georgia Tech. He demonstrates it himself here on the field everyday.”

Q: It’s the end of your first week of OTAs, talk about how you felt they went?

VERMEIL: “I thought they did a great job. You expect your veterans to do a good job, but I have been very impressed with the young kids. I am extremely impressed with the movement. We have some defensive speed over there and it shows. Probably as pleasing as anything is seeing some of those sophomores and juniors that have been here a while and how much better they look today than they did a year ago. (LB) Keyaron Fox is a much better football player today than he was a year ago. (DT) Montique Sharpe, (T) Kevin Sampson, (T) Jordan Black and all these other young players that look better, it just shows the benefit of there hard work.”

Q: What are you looking for from RB Priest Holmes while he is here?

VERMEIL: “We want to get his stamina built back up. You can see physically that he is fine. He is probably stronger than he has ever been in his life. We will probably have to take a few pounds off him because he is so bulked up. But, we probably won’t expect anything more than 2,100 yards rushing and 29 touchdowns, nothing more than that. (laughs)”

Q: Do you feel going into this season that it is now or never with the team that you have assembled?

VERMEIL: “There are 16 guys from the original roster here and 21 guys that have been here all four years and they feel like I do right now. They know we have a job to do and we have to do the job better, that’s all there is too it.”

tk13
05-19-2005, 01:58 PM
But, we probably won’t expect anything more than 2,100 yards rushing and 29 touchdowns, nothing more than that.”

ROFL Get to work Priest!

Rain Man
05-19-2005, 02:02 PM
I'm glad to hear that Jordan Black is practicing. I hadn't heard much about his injury after it happened.

Coogs
05-19-2005, 02:03 PM
Q: Are you keeping G Will Shields out of OTAs like your keeping out T Willie Roaf?

What is it with these bozo's asking questions like this? :banghead:

And when someone gets DV going in a real good direction, we always have to have a Priest Holmes question. I'm glad DV gave kind of a smart azz reply as tk13 pointed out.

Bob Dole
05-19-2005, 02:05 PM
They really need an editor...

Captain Obvious
05-19-2005, 02:09 PM

Agreid....

Bob Dole
05-19-2005, 02:10 PM
But Bob Dole appreciates there hard work.

Coogs
05-19-2005, 02:10 PM

Yep!

And I know I just posted this, but dang these silly azz questions bug me. I really look forward to hearing about how these practices go... how certain players look... etc, and over half of these questions are just plain pitiful.

They need to let some of the Planet Members in to do the interviews.

royr17
05-19-2005, 02:25 PM
810 is reporting that Keyaron Fox is lookin really good in OTA's, and is making as many plays on the field as DJ.

He is all over the field, flying to the ball, making plays, so guys dont be a bit surprised now if we go with a LB corp of DJ, Bell, and Fox.

Coogs
05-19-2005, 02:28 PM
810 is reporting that Keyaron Fox is lookin really good in OTA's, and is making as many plays on the field as DJ.

He is all over the field, flying to the ball, making plays, so guys dont be a bit surprised now if we go with a LB corp of DJ, Bell, and Fox.

I have a thread on here today... may have slipped to the 2nd page.... on how Fox was impressing in the OTA's. It is a pretty good read, but it is from Warpaint, so some probably will discount it.

Hydrae
05-19-2005, 02:38 PM
Q: Does WR Sammie Parker have a good opportunity for substantial playing time?

VERMEIL: “Oh yeah. He has a chance at a starting job.”

CYA Johnny!

Pitt Gorilla
05-19-2005, 02:59 PM
But Bob Dole appreciates there hard work.
I know. That one really bothers me.

dtrain
05-19-2005, 11:40 PM
A with DICK VERMEIL
May 19, 2005, 2:48:41 PM

Q: What about (WR) Nathaniel Curry?

VERMEIL: “You know he has been real impressive. I think Nathaniel first needs to think about making a practice squad. He has been impressive though. There’s no substitute for being bright. He is a very, very bright student of Georgia Tech. He demonstrates it himself here on the field everyday.”

I don't like this quote!!! That he needs to think about making the practice squad. Hell he should have the mentality that he is gonna start and if not start play quite a bit. I would never want a player who's goal was to make the practice squad what good is he? Now I know why sorry veterans keep playing over a promising rookie! Example Fujita and Lew Bush.

TRR
05-19-2005, 11:45 PM
It's good to hear that Key Fox is getting some praise. Problem is, nobody has pads on yet.

Training Camp is where they seperate the men from the boys. I remember hearing Gary Stills looks good for 4 consecutive offseason OTA's....And he's never cracked the starting lineup.

Claynus
05-19-2005, 11:52 PM
Great news. I'm pumped about Samie Parker.

JimNasium
05-20-2005, 06:59 AM
Great news. I've always wanted to get pumped by Samie Parker.
This is just wrong.

whoman69
05-20-2005, 09:01 AM
I am hoping our receiver squad has enough talent to part ways with both Morton and Kennison. All the talk about our offense being old would be put away, and my heart would be aided by the lack of drops all over the field.

whoman69
05-20-2005, 09:10 AM
One thing that bothered me about the article is that he totally dismisses Curry making the team after just a few days of practice. He has absolutely no trust in rookies, which leads me to believe that despite the fact DJ is probably our most talented LB, he won't be on the field to start.

whoman69
05-20-2005, 09:11 AM
This is just wrong.
If Bob Dole thinks that DV needs an editor, what would he think about Gochiefs?

shaneo69
05-20-2005, 10:18 AM
One thing that bothered me about the article is that he totally dismisses Curry making the team after just a few days of practice. He has absolutely no trust in rookies, which leads me to believe that despite the fact DJ is probably our most talented LB, he won't be on the field to start.

I don't know. I thought he talked glowingly about a guy who was an undrafted FA and probably has no chance to make the team. With about 80 players practicing, to even mention his name in a quick Q&A session is a little surprising to me. I think DV is just being realistic though. Don't worry....if Curry continues to impress, they'll give him a chance. DV let an undrafted rookie FA WR play a lot on opening day last season (Richard Smith). I think that experiment showed that not only is there a huge jump for a rookie to make from college to pro training camp and pre-season games, but also from training camp and pre-season games to actual regular season games.

I also would be willing to bet that DJ will be starting on opening day, provided he gets signed and doesn't have any injury setbacks.

bricks
05-20-2005, 10:27 AM

Your oh so wrong. DJ will blow a lot of our LBers away. No way he doesn't start.