PDA

View Full Version : kcchief.com: Q&A with Priest 5/19

Coogs
05-19-2005, 02:12 PM
Q&A RB PRIEST HOLMES
May 19, 2005, 2:45:39 PM

Q: How was your first day back?

HOLMES: It was real good. It has been about six and a half months so Im just excited to be back in uniform. Its a wonderful to see all these new faces out here.

Q: How is the pain level?

HOLMES: As for pain, Id always say my pain level has been pretty high because of the fact of all the hits Ive taken over the years. In terms of being a professional Ill be ready and whatever it takes to be on the field, Ill do that.

Q: We heard you gained some weight and are a little stronger, what is with that?

HOLMES: Actually I am back down. I was 222 pounds three weeks ago, but Im back down to 215 pounds now. So in terms of weight its just a matter if Im eating honey buns or not. You know I like to have fun in the off-season.

Q: Compared to where you were last year, how do you feel going into this season?

HOLMES: I feel real good. I think last year was a lot different outlook because I was trying to come back from the hip injury. Right now after having the MCL injury late in November I am excited to be back in uniform and do what I do best and that is run the ball.

Q: With the emergence of RB Larry Johnson last year do you think we will see less of you this next year?

HOLMES: I definitely dont think it will be less. Hopefully we will have him in a number of packages where we will both be in the backfield at the same time. Somewhat of the days that I had at Texas with RB Ricky Williams when we were both in the backfield and we could go either direction and be very aggressive on the offensive side.

Q: So do you think RB Larry Johnson could give you a break during games?

HOLMES: I dont think necessarily a break, but the addition of him being in the backfield would be great. He did some real positive things last year. I think in five games he had 700 yards. In terms of productivity he is still a 2,000 yard rusher from college and he can still do that now.

Q: You got a lot of reps and playing time last year. Did you feel your body wearing down at all throughout the season and maybe getting a little tired?

HOLMES: Not necessarily tired, but each game there seemed to be some kind of injury. Every game there was some type of injury, be it the ankle, the shoulder, and eventually the MCL that kept me out of the last eight games. I am excited to be back and I think injuries are something that has always been a part of football and I definitely know how to handle them.

Q: Do you think RB Larry Johnson could take away some of the hits and extend your career?

HOLMES: It would definitely help his career in terms of getting ready to take over. He is going to be the new face for the Kansas City Chiefs and I am excited to be here and leave that legacy behind and give him the torch.

Q: You mentioned something about how happy these guys are to have all these new defensive players, lets talk a little bit about that as an offensive player?

HOLMES: It feels good not only that we have new faces, but we have one guy out of the University of Texas in D.J. (Derrick Johnson) and it is definitely going to be fun watching him run around the field making us proud. It is one thing when you get a teammate, we are not necessarily both on offense, but now there is one on the defensive side of the ball so in terms of that level and standard it is going to be very high.

Q: Talk about the other gives like LB Kendrell Bell and DB Sammy Knight?

HOLMES: I spent some time with Kendrell Bell out in Arizona. We had a good time out there as far as doing some training and different techniques as far as getting the body and mind back. I am really excited about the defensive backfield. It is going to put a lot of pressure on the guys that were already here because now there are only two spots and there is more than enough guys to go around o fill those positions.

Q: Are you mentoring your fellow Longhorn LB Derrick Johnson?

HOLMES: No I havent really even had a chance to chat with him. They have been taking up most of his time on the defensive side of the ball, but we will get some time to chat. You know as far as expectations, it is there. In terms of making sure he is playing at the top level it is always going to be there coming from the University of Texas.

Q: Are you working more on strength or speed right now?

HOLMES: Not strength. Not strength at all. I am not touching weights at all. Im focusing more on mobility, flexibility, and making sure my stamina is up and that is just a matter of getting out there and working.

Rain Man
05-19-2005, 02:16 PM
Question 1. Do you think Larry Johnson will get some of your carries this year?

No.

Question 2. Okay. Do you think maybe he can take some wear and tear for you?

No.

Question 3. Okay. Now how about Larry Johnson. Will he be in the backfield a lot this year while you're on the sideline?

No.

Question 4. Uh-huh. Okay, then. Let me ask you about Larry Johnson and your playing time. Do you think...?

Hydrae
05-19-2005, 02:16 PM
Q: Do you think RB Larry Johnson could take away some of the hits and extend your career?

HOLMES: It would definitely help his career in terms of getting ready to take over. He is going to be the new face for the Kansas City Chiefs and I am excited to be here and leave that legacy behind and give him the torch.

Any bets this is Priests last season?

Coogs
05-19-2005, 02:19 PM

No.

No.

Question 3. Okay. Now how about Larry Johnson. Will he be in the backfield a lot this year while you're on the sideline?

No.

Question 4. Uh-huh. Okay, then. Let me ask you about Larry Johnson and your playing time. Do you think...?

Fuggin' pathetic isn't it?

tk13
05-19-2005, 02:21 PM
Comes back to do an interview in the first time in forever and gets hammered with LJ questions. I'm still waiting for Posnanski's "Once again, everybody is doubting Priest Holmes" article... come on Joe, get with it.

ArrowheadHawk
05-19-2005, 02:24 PM
i think priest still has 2-3 years left

Coogs
05-19-2005, 02:25 PM
Q&A RB PRIEST HOLMES
May 19, 2005, 2:45:39 PM

Q: How was your first day back?

And from YESTERDAY...

Q&A with DICK VERMEIL
May 18, 2005, 4:05:28 PM

Q: How do you feel now that Priest Holmes is back?

VERMEIL: It was his first day back and he is big and strong. He has been weight training an awful lot. Now he is working on cardiovascular and getting into football shape, but it was real fun to have him back.

That was a real good opening question today don't you think? A really informed reporter no doubt. :rolleyes:

BIG_DADDY
05-19-2005, 02:47 PM
It will be good to see a healthy Priest. With the way Larry played last year I don't hold my breath every time Priest gets up a little slow now either.

jspchief
05-19-2005, 02:52 PM

No.

No.

No.

Question 4. Uh-huh. Okay, then. Let me ask you about Larry Johnson and your playing time. Do you think...? It has to be the same guy that interviewed Gonzo the other day. He basically asked him about the injury ten different ways.

Not sure who it is, but he needs work interviewing in NFLE.

shaneo69
05-20-2005, 11:45 AM
It has to be the same guy that interviewed Gonzo the other day. He basically asked him about the injury ten different ways.

Not sure who it is, but he needs work interviewing in NFLE.

Or she. Liz Merrill wrote the article about Gonzo and his wrinkled shirt the other day and then the one about Priest and his body today.

eazyb81
05-20-2005, 11:56 AM
Comes back to do an interview in the first time in forever and gets hammered with LJ questions. I'm still waiting for Posnanski's "Once again, everybody is doubting Priest Holmes" article... come on Joe, get with it.

"It's a hot day here in Texas, a day most people would spend inside watching TV. However, Priest Holmes is not like most people. Priest is out here in the hot Texas heat working hard, doing drills, and trying to show the rest of the NFL they were wrong about him. You see, Priest Holmes has a mission this year to prove the doubters wrong.....blah blah blah...."

Hoover
05-20-2005, 12:01 PM
I think its Carl asking the questions because he's one tough Sombitch