PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha V-MAX

FRCDFED
05-19-2005, 06:15 PM
I am looking very seriously at purchasing a Yamaha V-Max. Does anyone on here own one or know about the maintenance history of those bikes?

I chose a V-Max because I want a powerbike but I also want to sit upright like on a cruiser.

Not to mention it is about $6k cheaper than the Harley DynaWide Glide that I am interested in.

I want to buy new so I am down to these two choices.

bogie
05-19-2005, 06:23 PM
I'm not familiar with it. I do have a VStar Classic. I bought it new in 2000 and it has been rock solid. All I've had to replace is a rear brake switch.

FRCDFED
05-19-2005, 06:29 PM
I'm not familiar with it. I do have a VStar Classic. I bought it new in 2000 and it has been rock solid. All I've had to replace is a rear brake switch.I've been told that if I want a bike to tinker with all the time then I should buy a Harley, but if I want a bike to start up and go for a smooth ride once/twice per month then I should buy a foreign bike.

Dayze
05-19-2005, 06:34 PM
IMO, any of the big twins from the Japanese 4 are WELL worth the money. You pay an additional $5K for the Harley badge. For whatever that's worth (I'd prefer to get a Victory if I had the money in the $15K range).

The V-Max is a good choice. As well as Honda VTX (my personal fav).
The Kawasaki Mean Streak.

You can't go wrong. The value is great on any of these. Sit on one, and get the one the feels most comfortable. They're so near-identical in their performance it comes down to comfort and looks and what ever turns you on.

F(ck Harley's. Overrated. Would I want one? Sure....but not for $20K.

I guarantee your mind won't know the difference while you're on the road experiencing the "Fun Factor".
Ride Safe ;)

stevieray
05-19-2005, 06:43 PM
IMO, any of the big twins from the Japanese 4 are WELL worth the money. You pay an additional $5K for the Harley badge. For whatever that's worth (I'd prefer to get a Victory if I had the money in the $15K range).

The V-Max is a good choice. As well as Honda VTX (my personal fav).
The Kawasaki Mean Streak.

You can't go wrong. The value is great on any of these. Sit on one, and get the one the feels most comfortable. They're so near-identical in their performance it comes down to comfort and looks and what ever turns you on.

F(ck Harley's. Overrated. Would I want one? Sure....but not for $20K.

I guarantee your mind won't know the difference while you're on the road experiencing the "Fun Factor".
Ride Safe ;)

I like the VTX and the Kawasaki Mean Streak. The Vmax at one time was the fastest stock bike out . older ones still hold their value.

NaptownChief
05-19-2005, 06:53 PM
VMax is also my favorite...I will be putting one in my garage in the next 18 months or sooner.

2bikemike
05-19-2005, 07:41 PM
I've been told that if I want a bike to tinker with all the time then I should buy a Harley, but if I want a bike to start up and go for a smooth ride once/twice per month then I should buy a foreign bike.

Maybe I am a little biased but I would buy the Harley. You will not be sorry. They hold their value no other bike comes close. I have an Electra Glide Classic with 60k miles and have had Zero problems with it. I rode around the 4 corners of the States 16k miles and only changed the fluids and bought a tire in Tampa.

The other bike in my picture has been sold. It had 42k miles on it when I sold it. The same thing Zero problems.

What ever bike you decide to get, think long and hard about the type of riding you will be doing. I had the Softail for 4 years before getting the Glide. I wanted to be able to put a lot of miles on it in a day and still be comfortable. Its a big bonus to be able to carry some stuff with you.

If you haven't ridden before or haven't ridden for a while, do yourself and your family a favor and take a safety course. You can learn a lot about how to protect yourself from the idiots driving around you.

FRCDFED
05-19-2005, 07:54 PM
Maybe I am a little biased but I would buy the Harley. You will not be sorry. They hold their value no other bike comes close. I have an Electra Glide Classic with 60k miles and have had Zero problems with it. I rode around the 4 corners of the States 16k miles and only changed the fluids and bought a tire in Tampa.

The other bike in my picture has been sold. It had 42k miles on it when I sold it. The same thing Zero problems.

What ever bike you decide to get, think long and hard about the type of riding you will be doing. I had the Softail for 4 years before getting the Glide. I wanted to be able to put a lot of miles on it in a day and still be comfortable. Its a big bonus to be able to carry some stuff with you.

If you haven't ridden before or haven't ridden for a while, do yourself and your family a favor and take a safety course. You can learn a lot about how to protect yourself from the idiots driving around you.It has been several years since I have ridden. Ever since I have been wanting and procrastinating about buying another bike. I don't plan to take any trips longer than two/three hours one way on the bike but I do want to be comfortable. I was very interested in the Suzuki 1400 Intruder but they don't make it anymore. They replaced it with the Boulevard S83 which I don't particularly care for. With the V-Max I get an upright cruiser style bike but with the power of a musclebike. The bike I used to own was a Yamaha Maxim 750 and it didn't have much power on the interstate when I would try to pass. I want a bike that will have the power to get me out of a situation if there are idiots around me.

BIG_DADDY
05-19-2005, 07:58 PM

If you haven't ridden before or haven't ridden for a while, do yourself and your family a favor and take a safety course. You can learn a lot about how to protect yourself from the idiots driving around you.

I completely agree with his take on this although my preference would have been the Fat Boy. Last time I checked Craigs list there were some Harley's on there barely used under 5k miles about 3-4k under retail for what it's worth.

2bikemike
05-19-2005, 08:02 PM
It has been several years since I have ridden. Ever since I have been wanting and procrastinating about buying another bike. I don't plan to take any trips longer than two/three hours one way on the bike but I do want to be comfortable. I was very interested in the Suzuki 1400 Intruder but they don't make it anymore. They replaced it with the Boulevard S83 which I don't particularly care for. With the V-Max I get an upright cruiser style bike but with the power of a musclebike. The bike I used to own was a Yamaha Maxim 750 and it didn't have much power on the interstate when I would try to pass. I want a bike that will have the power to get me out of a situation if there are idiots around me.

I had an 87 Intruder. I liked that bike a lot. The problem with it came at around 21k miles. A bearing went out on the output shaft. The dealership had some dumbshit mechanic who tore it apart and couldn't put it back together. The dealer bought the bike back and gave me a sweet deal on a Kawasaki Vulcan that I just never liked. So I vowed to not purchase another bike until I could get the Harley. The Intruder was pretty cool. It had the flat drag style bars on it and a lot of people mistook it for a Harley. I think it was one of the first imitators.

IIRC the VMax would flat out scoot. I haven't paid much attention to the foreign bike market and don't really know whats out there any more. But when the VMax came out years ago the commercials touted how the bike accelerated faster than you could think. Or something like that.

FRCDFED
05-19-2005, 08:11 PM
The V-Max still touts itself as one of the brute muscle bikes (in a straight line of course).

Liquid-cooled, 1198cc, DOHC, 16-valve, 70° V-4 engine has no equal in its class, pumping out tremendous, hard-hitting power to make it the ultimate quick-accelerating, high-performance king.

Patented Yamaha “V-Boost” induction, a power-boosting variable intake system, force-feeds massive quantities of fuel into the cylinders via a servo-controlled butterfly valve at 6000 rpm and above.

Specially designed high-lift camshafts ensure ample acceleration at lower rpm, helping to further broaden the already awesome powerband.

Specially tempered crankshaft and connecting rods help harness the powerplant’s chart-topping performance and stand up with greater durability to the unparalleled power.

Smooth-shifting 5-speed transmission puts that massive powerband to the pavement with one purpose: maximum acceleration all the way to redline.

Hydraulically activated diaphragm-type clutch delivers precise clutch performance with lighter pull.

Four huge, 35mm Mikuni downdraft carburetors ensure seamless, lightning quick throttle response.

Low-maintenance shaft drive provides ultra-smooth performance that’s virtually lash-free.

FRCDFED
05-19-2005, 08:13 PM
This years bike is also a limited edition 20th anniversary model. Only 2000 were produced and each contains a serial number on a "20th Edition" plate on the top of the tank.

Also, the anniversary edition is red with red ghost flames.

Pretty sweet paint scheme.

Dayze
05-19-2005, 08:16 PM

:clap:
Exactly.
well put Mike.

FRCDFED
05-19-2005, 08:18 PM
:clap:
Exactly.
well put Mike.
I will definately take that advice. In the meantime, if I buy one then I am going to start out reacquainting myself around the neighborhood and then slowely expand where and how I ride.

Dayze
05-19-2005, 08:19 PM
I've crashed a sportbike, and thought about another, but a cruiser.

Then again...I've takin' a keen eye to the Triumph Speed Triple.
Upright riding, footpets aren't too far back, bars are raised a bit.....plus it's got the killer sound of the frankenstein Inline 3 cyl, thing...

And it looks like it could start trouble at a stand still.

also thought hard abou the Buell XB-12r...

.........sigh......
choices.

Dayze
05-19-2005, 08:23 PM
I will definately take that advice. In the meantime, if I buy one then I am going to start out reacquainting myself around the neighborhood and then slowely expand where and how I ride.

that's another good idea.

when i used to ride, I would literally 'gear up' for the ride. Prepare mentally for a different 'driving' style. VERY defensive; making sure there's plenty of space between you and the car in front of you; makign sure you have an escape route in multi-lane traffic; keeping the bike in the 'happy range' of RPM so if you need to nail it you can get around things....

let us know if you get one. Us motorcyles guys always love hearing about one of our own getting a new scoot.

FRCDFED
05-19-2005, 08:25 PM
I've crashed a sportbike, and thought about another, but a cruiser.

Then again...I've takin' a keen eye to the Triumph Speed Triple.
Upright riding, footpets aren't too far back, bars are raised a bit.....plus it's got the killer sound of the frankenstein Inline 3 cyl, thing...

And it looks like it could start trouble at a stand still.

also thought hard abou the Buell XB-12r...

.........sigh......
choices.
It is not an easy decision for me. Sticker on the bike is $11,100.00. I have them talked down to about $10,600.00. That is a lot of money to spend on a bike. I recently had knee surgery so at the moment I can't test ride it. Therefore, if I want it then I have to purchase it without riding it and have faith that it will be what I am looking for. Of course I have sat on it in the showroom and had it started just to make sure I like the stance and it will be comfortable but I haven't felt the power. Although everyone I talk to about it swears that I won't be disappointed in the performance and smooth operation of the bike.

I just want to make sure that if I drop that kind of coin that I get the biggest bang for the buck!

stevieray
05-19-2005, 08:25 PM

practice hard stops, not only for safety reasons, but to see how the bike handles, etc.

FRCDFED
05-19-2005, 08:27 PM
practice hard stops, not only for safety reasons, but to see how the bike handles, etc.
Good idea!!

Dayze
05-19-2005, 09:19 PM
when I bought my bike, I checked it out on www.bikesatcost.com...
but the site isn't there anymore.
Basically it showed what the bike costs the dealer, etc.

mine was $6800 for a 2002 Kaw ZX-6R; this was 2003 in Februrary so they still had a new '02 on their show room floor. Sticker was $8400, but I offered them 7100; they didn't bite, but called me bac 4 days later, etc....told them I know what they paid for it, and i didn't want a big run around, etc.

$7100 out the door. All done over the phone.

See if there is a place to see the dealer invoices online; and go from there. The markup is typically around 35% or more.

Dayze
05-19-2005, 09:30 PM
yeah, my experience is most dealers won't let you test ride bikes, etc.

but - my next bike (either a Triumph Speed Triple, or XB-12r) I'll be sure to test ride. I'll bring in a certified proof of funds, etc, to get a test ride.
No way would I drop $10K on a bike I've never ridden. I'd tell the dealer that someone else is getting his commssion if the test ride isn't an option.

if you have insurance
Motorcycle endorsement
proof of funds/preapproval from your bank up to X amount

the test ride shouldn't be an issue.

My experience is motorcycle dealers are c8cksuckers. hate em. Asked Olathe Suzuki what his out the door price was for the new (at the time) '02 GSXR, and he repeated what the sticker price was. No budging, etc.
"Dwayne" I believe his hame was.

F-ck Dwane. Hope he appreciated me telling everyone to never buy from him; and I would ride with 30 + bikes on the weekends with the Indepenence guys, Plaza guys, etc...
I'll never shop at Olathe Suzuki again.

Cochise
05-19-2005, 10:10 PM
Cruisers haven't really appealed to me yet, but I like the V-Max and Triumph's various offerings. There's a Bonny that I park next to at work sometimes, and it's really cool.

Take the MSF course if you haven't ridden in a while though... you always hear that the most accidents are people re-entering riding after a long absence.

wildcat09
05-19-2005, 10:49 PM
i bought a suzuki boulevard and i am in love. all you do is start it and go. i love the fuel injection. its just a little too quite. i need to get some new pipes.i have seen that v-max and they kick ass. its not really hard to bring the front tire off the ground and the paint scheme is pretty sweet. that would be a great bike. you would not be disapointed. plus there are plenty of parts in the aftermarket to make them even more badass.

trndobrd
05-20-2005, 01:35 AM
I'm considering the purchase of the following, any thoughts?

1. Victory 8-Ball
2. Dyna Wide Glide
3. Victory Hammer
4. Softail Night Train

All the reviews seem to give the Victory bikes high marks for performance and price. I am concerned about he difficulty of getting work done on the bike.

wildcat09
05-20-2005, 01:49 AM

1. Victory 8-Ball
2. Dyna Wide Glide
3. Victory Hammer
4. Softail Night Train

All the reviews seem to give the Victory bikes high marks for performance and price. I am concerned about he difficulty of getting work done on the bike.

either one of those victory bikes kick ass. i like harleys but i don't like the price tag. as for getting the victorys serviced i know there is a dealership out in olathe. i don't think it would be a problem getting work. i personally like the 8ball the best. i saw one with black rims and black power coated pipes. it was f'n sweet.

trndobrd
05-20-2005, 03:39 AM
either one of those victory bikes kick ass. i like harleys but i don't like the price tag. as for getting the victorys serviced i know there is a dealership out in olathe. i don't think it would be a problem getting work. i personally like the 8ball the best. i saw one with black rims and black power coated pipes. it was f'n sweet.

At 13K the 8-ball looks like a steal. That's what I'm leaning towards. I talked to a dealer in Tulsa (no dealer in Wichita), he said they had two left and none in the pipeline since Victory is barely able to keep up with Hammer production.

I was thinking about black rims and a back seat and rest.

Radar Chief
05-20-2005, 06:54 AM
I've been told that if I want a bike to tinker with all the time then I should buy a Harley, but if I want a bike to start up and go for a smooth ride once/twice per month then I should buy a foreign bike.

Sounds ‘bout right.

Cochise
05-20-2005, 06:57 AM

I really like the looks of those, and a guy that I formerly worked with who owned several bikes had a Vegas that he liked quite a bit too.

trndobrd
05-20-2005, 07:08 AM
I really like the looks of those, and a guy that I formerly worked with who owned several bikes had a Vegas that he liked quite a bit too.

Any maintenance or service problems?

BTW, how did you get that filmclip of goChiefs?

Radar Chief
05-20-2005, 07:13 AM
The V-Max still touts itself as one of the brute muscle bikes (in a straight line of course).

Liquid-cooled, 1198cc, DOHC, 16-valve, 70° V-4 engine has no equal in its class, pumping out tremendous, hard-hitting power to make it the ultimate quick-accelerating, high-performance king.

Patented Yamaha “V-Boost” induction, a power-boosting variable intake system, force-feeds massive quantities of fuel into the cylinders via a servo-controlled butterfly valve at 6000 rpm and above.

Specially designed high-lift camshafts ensure ample acceleration at lower rpm, helping to further broaden the already awesome powerband.

Specially tempered crankshaft and connecting rods help harness the powerplant’s chart-topping performance and stand up with greater durability to the unparalleled power.

Smooth-shifting 5-speed transmission puts that massive powerband to the pavement with one purpose: maximum acceleration all the way to redline.

Hydraulically activated diaphragm-type clutch delivers precise clutch performance with lighter pull.

Four huge, 35mm Mikuni downdraft carburetors ensure seamless, lightning quick throttle response.

Low-maintenance shaft drive provides ultra-smooth performance that’s virtually lash-free.

This is what really makes this bike.
To expand on what V-Boost is: because it’s a V-4 engine it’s got two carburetors on each pair of cylinders facing each other in the air box. The V-Boost valve on the intake side of the each set of carbs opens once the engine passes 6K RPM and allows each cylinder to breath through the two carbs on it’s side of the engine on the intake stroke.
It’s a power boost you can feel and makes it a kick in the ass fun bike to ride. Rolling smoky burnouts in the first 2-3 gears are a hard yank of the throttle away.
Plus the V-Max has been around for a couple of decades now so the after market support is pretty good.
I’ve always said if I was gonna own a cruiser it’d be a V-Max or maybe a Kannon or Boss Hoss. Those bikes are what all other cruisers pretend to be, hotrods.

Radar Chief
05-20-2005, 07:17 AM

1. Victory 8-Ball
2. Dyna Wide Glide
3. Victory Hammer
4. Softail Night Train

I’ve seen these, a couple of guys ‘round C-Town have’em.
Very good look’n bike, for a Hardly and I’m no fan of paint shakers.

dilligaf
05-20-2005, 07:23 AM
Get the Harley. Ive had four of them and have had zero problems in the past. As Mike has said, they also hold their value alot better than any thing else.
Plus there is nothing else quite as cool. :)

Radar Chief
05-20-2005, 07:48 AM
Get the Harley. Ive had four of them and have had zero problems in the past. As Mike has said, they also hold their value alot better than any thing else.

Guess that depends on what you consider “cool”.
If overweight underpowered paint shakers are your thing, go for it.
But maybe I’m just jaded from helping dad when he’d work summers at the local Honda shop, but to me motorcycles have always been about bang per performance $$$, and in that equation Hardleys just don’t figure in.

Cochise
05-20-2005, 07:53 AM
But maybe I’m just jaded from helping dad when he’d work summers at the local Honda shop, but to me motorcycles have always been about bang per performance $$$, and in that equation Hardleys just don’t figure in.

Yep... rather be riding than working on it...

morphius
05-20-2005, 07:58 AM
I don't know if it is that true that other bikes don't hold their value, they just start off at a low enough price range that people don't need to recoup their initial investment. Hell, I have a sports bike that 3 years after I bought I saw being sold for more then what I paid for mine.

RedNFeisty
05-20-2005, 07:59 AM
Harley's are great for cruising, and there is no better sound when it comes to a bike. I know nothing of this Yamaha V-Max, but Valkyrie and Ducati put out a pretty sweet line of bikes.

2bikemike
05-20-2005, 07:59 AM

Thats such BS anymore. Of the 2 harleys I have had and logged over 100k combined I have had no problems what so ever. Of the 3 rice burners two had signifigant problems within 25k each.

RedNFeisty
05-20-2005, 08:00 AM
I’ve seen these, a couple of guys ‘round C-Town have’em.
Very good look’n bike, for a Hardly and I’m no fan of paint shakers.

LOL...A paint Shaker, let me guess, you ride a Rice Burner!?!

kccrazzi
05-20-2005, 08:26 AM
Since Harley came out with the evolution motor I think back in 96 that put a stop to the oil leaks and persistant problems that haunted Harleys. The Harleys now days with twin overhead cams and fuel injection are virtually maintenance free and just require the very important sevice periods which can be very expensive through a Harley dealer easily over a hundred $ per visit. But look at the other bikes carefully And then go look at the Harleys the craftmanship and beauty of the Harley is no comparison to the other bikes. The ride of the Harley is like no other, they are very comfortable and run straight as an arrow down the road 20 mph. wind doesn't seem to phase the Harley as it does the rice burners. If you plan on riding before you buy you will have to have a motorcycle license before they will even let you get on it.When I bought my lowrider they checked my license before I could leave the dealer& this was after I had paid for it.Like they say if I have to explain to you about a Harley you wouldn't understand anyway!

Loki
05-20-2005, 08:44 AM
what about buell bikes? do you like those?

(and just for sh*ts and grins, look at the new CBR1000RR from
honda... a dude i work with just bought one. really nice bike...)

dilligaf
05-20-2005, 09:32 AM
It does depend on what you consider cool. I get thumbs up on the streets from everyone from little kids to old men to women.

dilligaf
05-20-2005, 09:33 AM
Uninformed post.

Radar Chief
05-20-2005, 09:36 AM
LOL...A paint Shaker, let me guess, you ride a Rice Burner!?!

:evil: How’d ya guess?
I hope bigpepe realizes I was just kid’n.
I have nothing against Harleys, just try’n to get the Harley guys stirred up. :evil:

Radar Chief
05-20-2005, 09:39 AM
It does depend on what you consider cool. I get thumbs up on the streets from everyone from little kids to old men to women.

I get that to, only people I’ve ever had flip me off where Hardly riders and then only when they’re go’n the opposite direction.
Going in the same direction, I’ve had’em almost run off the road try’n to avoid look’n at me.

Radar Chief
05-20-2005, 09:43 AM
I don't know if it is that true that other bikes don't hold their value, they just start off at a low enough price range that people don't need to recoup their initial investment. Hell, I have a sports bike that 3 years after I bought I saw being sold for more then what I paid for mine.

In fairness, Harleys do hold their value very well, but that’s by design.
The Japanese have a tendency to flood the market, while Harley will purposely limit production specifically to maintain the value of there bikes.
Good for Harley, sucks for Harley buyers.

Radar Chief
05-20-2005, 09:44 AM
Since Harley came out with the evolution motor I think back in 96 that put a stop to the oil leaks and persistant problems that haunted Harleys. The Harleys now days with twin overhead cams and fuel injection are virtually maintenance free and just require the very important sevice periods which can be very expensive through a Harley dealer easily over a hundred $ per visit. But look at the other bikes carefully And then go look at the Harleys the craftmanship and beauty of the Harley is no comparison to the other bikes. The ride of the Harley is like no other, they are very comfortable and run straight as an arrow down the road 20 mph. wind doesn't seem to phase the Harley as it does the rice burners. If you plan on riding before you buy you will have to have a motorcycle license before they will even let you get on it.When I bought my lowrider they checked my license before I could leave the dealer& this was after I had paid for it.Like they say if I have to explain to you about a Harley you wouldn't understand anyway!

True, but I think you’re off on the date. Seems like the Evo’s came out in ’86, maybe ’88. TwobikeMike could probably give us a better chronology of it.

RedNFeisty
05-20-2005, 09:48 AM
I have nothing against Harleys, just try’n to get the Harley guys stirred up. :evil:

I figured you were razzing people, so I had to raz back! ROFL

dilligaf
05-20-2005, 10:08 AM
:cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Radar Chief
05-20-2005, 11:58 AM
:cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

ROFL

FRCDFED
05-20-2005, 06:19 PM
I appreciate all of the input!! There is quite a variety of opinions regarding Harleys in comparison to the foreign bikes. Reliability for both seems to have improved. While I would love to support the "made in America" motto they are just very overpriced compared to other bikes. Not to mention that most people spend a buttload of money after purchasing them to customize them.

I want a cruiser with some balls that is reliable and comfortable to ride; however, price is an important part of the equation.

I still have a tough decision to make! It would be nice to know what the invoice price is on the V-Max. I almost got it out of a dealer yesterday but they stopped short of quoting me the price.

2bikemike
05-20-2005, 10:53 PM
True, but I think you’re off on the date. Seems like the Evo’s came out in ’86, maybe ’88. TwobikeMike could probably give us a better chronology of it.

The Evo actually came out in 85. They made steady improvements over the years and the twin cams were born I believe in 99. The next generation will more than likely bow to the pressures of the EPA and you will see them all become water cooled. The Vrod is just the beginning. Harley will however keep the nostalgic look.

Everybody has their preferences on what to ride. I started on dirt bikes progressed to crotch rockets and have matured into the classic cruiser.

If you want a cruiser pony up the extra dough and get the Harley. If you want to haul ass and carve the canyons get a jap or Italian sport bike.

trndobrd
05-20-2005, 11:01 PM
While I would love to support the "made in America" motto they are just very overpriced compared to other bikes. Not to mention that most people spend a buttload of money after purchasing them to customize them.

Exactly why I'm looking at a Victory

FRCDFED
05-21-2005, 08:34 AM
Exactly why I'm looking at a Victory
There is a big car show tonight that I am going to. Hopefully, after leaving there I will be re-energized to just finish restoring my Nova and forget all about purchasing the bike!! Unfortunately, I have wanted a bike for years and am enamored with the V-Max at this point. I will be lucky to make it through the day without purchasing it :)