PDA

View Full Version : What was your best vacation ever? Worst vacation ever?

Rain Man
05-19-2005, 09:19 PM
Ground rules:

Vacation = At least six days of leisure, at a distance at least two hours from your home. Consider only vacations that you took as an adult.

Worst vacation:

Okay, there's almost no such thing as a bad vacation. However, I'd say my two least satisfying vacations were both to Disney World. I first went in about 1987 or 1988 with a girlfriend. The trip wasn't bad, but as I eventually figured out, the gal was one of those people who turned everything into a crisis or a problem. She couldn't enjoy anything and just wasn't fun to be around. Then about ten years later, I went again as a happily married man after my wife mentioned that she had always wanted to go and never had the opportunity. While the woman this time was much more fun, we realized that Disney's not as enchanting when you're 35 as it is when you're 12. It was a nice vacation, but rather expensive and somewhat pedestrian. Again, it wasn't a bad vacation, but just rather disappointing.

Best vacation:

Most vacations are good, so this is a hard one, too. I've got several that could easily take the crown, but I would probably have to go with my first overseas trip back when I was 26 years old. My best friend and I went to France, India, and Nepal, and while the India part was ... a very odd experience ... it was a fantastic trip. My horizons went from Ozarks to world in one giant leap, and I got to see a lot of really amazing stuff - the Eiffel Tower, the Taj Mahal, the Himalayas, wild rhinos, got to ride an elephant, etc. I have never for an instant regretted taking the trip.

papasmurf
05-19-2005, 09:44 PM
Best and only....

Took a road trip by myself thru the southwest ending in Vegas. Had a great time.

Rain Man
05-20-2005, 09:26 AM
You people need to get out more.

BigRedChief
05-20-2005, 09:32 AM
I traveled and saw the world for 2 years so I would say that was one helluva vacation.

Pants
05-20-2005, 09:32 AM
You people need to get out more.

Probably when I went West last summer. Covered the whole Southwest and California. Saw a lot of cool things.

Going back to Ukraine for the summers during middle - 1st part of highschool was really enjoyable as well. Nothing as good as seeing your old friends and relatives yet having the freedom away from parents. Also, travelling with 2 good friends through 5 airports for 20 hours is pretty fun.

cadmonkey
05-20-2005, 09:34 AM
Best and worst and most exicting:

About three years ago I went to Negril Jamacia and sat on the beach sippin on Red Stripes, smoking the finest of Jamacian Ganja. Beautiful college girls everywhere. Unfortunatly, and this should make this the worst vacation, but I had a machede put to my throat in a drug shack about 100 feet off the beach. The guy told me he had some hash he wanted to sell me, I go into this little hut and he shuts the door behind me. I knew I was f*cked.

He tells me he wants me to buy some coke. I tell him I am all set. I then see the shine of a blade across the table. A guy I didn't see origianlly has a machede and tells me that my buddy screwed him earlier in the week. He didn't pay him for the hash he got, which was true, but my friend had already left and I didn't have the money to cover him. I opened the door and walked out. One of them ran over to me and said "if I don't get my money, you are a dead man."

My flight was in two hours so I wasn't to concerned.

Donger
05-20-2005, 09:35 AM
Best? Grand Cayman.
Worst? Europe.

cadmonkey
05-20-2005, 09:42 AM
Worst:

I went to San Diego a couple of years ago to see my beloved Patriots get smoked by the Chargers allowing Ladanian run for about 9 million yards and 11 touchdowns.

Some Mexiacan guy, in line for beer, threatened to kill me because I was cheering for the Pats. I talked him out of the fight. I got back to my seat, sit down and tell my friends what just happened. I start to hear this loud ass laugh. I look to my left and see the same guy who wanted to kill me walk by and sit the row behind me.

Once the game got out of control, and San Diego had it well in hand we became friends.

Overall it was a good vacation besides the sun burn, angry mexician, and the final score.

cadmonkey
05-20-2005, 09:43 AM
boy, looking back at it........everytime I go on vacation I have my life in danger. Hmm, go figure.

MOhillbilly
05-20-2005, 09:45 AM
England was nice.

N&S Dakota werent

BigRedChief
05-20-2005, 09:49 AM
I traveled and saw the world for 2 years so I would say that was one helluva vacation.

Worse = Riding the "Magic Bus" from Istanbul Turkey to Amsterdam Holland. Every cut throat low life scum bag within 1000 miles was on that bus. Got stopped at every town so they could pay off the local constable to keep ferrying their drugs along.

HemiEd
05-20-2005, 09:49 AM
I have not had a bad one as an adult, but as a 14 year old kid we took one almost exactly like Chevy Chase taking the family on Vacation. We did not kill a dog or lose Aunt Edna, but very close. Eight people in a 60 Dodge wagon for two weeks to the coast and back. ROFL

Best, a lot of good ones, but probably the best is the Hawaii trip with my wife and Daughters. We spent a week on Maui, other than price shock it was incredible. :drool:

Dartgod
05-20-2005, 09:58 AM
Worst vacation is easy. I've posted it here before.

My wife and I took her mother to Las Vegas a few years ago and when we got there (actually started showing some signs before we left, but we didn't realize how bad it really was) she started reacting to a prescription drug she was taking and was hallucinating really bad. People in the room, talking to her dead sisters, hair all over the place and all kinds of wierd crap. The more time went by, the worse it got. After the first night, which was spent mainly in the hotel room, we spent the next two day shuttling back and forth from the hospital. The doctors said the reaction she was having was basically making her schizophrenic (sp?). We had changed our flight to come home one day early and the hallucinations eventually completely went away two weeks later. Found out later that the doctor had precribed this medication failed to take into account that she was a dialysis patient and she was taking seven times the recommended dosage for a week. If she had continued taking it, it could of killed her.

That vacation (and the weeks following) was an absolute nightmare.

ChiefsOne
05-20-2005, 10:10 AM
Best - 10 days all expenses paid vacation to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico from my former boss. He sent me, my wife, co-worker and her husband.

Worst - Family vacation to Colorado. Drive across Kansas on I-70 was hell. Car broke down in Colorado Springs, Pike's Peak, replaced fuel pump, cost $120 towing and $90 for the fuel pump (myself and a friend). Two days later in Canyon City at the Royal Gorge it broke down again. Tow $150 (Sunday), $350 for a mechanic to do it this time. He said it was just a bad fuel pump we got from the store and I should be able to be my money back for the pump, but not the time and labor. Fought with them for 6 months before I got the $90 back. Cut our vacation short because of the money and time messing with the car.

To top it all off the wife and I had just been married for a year and had our kids with us. My daughter was 10 and her son was 9, they fought the who time, absolutely miserable!

HemiEd
05-20-2005, 10:13 AM
Worst vacation is easy. I've posted it here before.

If she had continued taking it, it could of killed her.

That vacation (and the weeks following) was an absolute nightmare.

That really sucks, is she doing OK now, I hope? :hmmm:

Dartgod
05-20-2005, 10:14 AM
That really sucks, is she doing OK now, I hope? :hmmm:
Ummmmm, no.

She died a couple of months ago. Not from this incident though.

KCChiefsMan
05-20-2005, 10:14 AM
Worst Vacation"
Lake of the Ozarks with a girlfriend. We stayed at a bed & breakfast which was nice, but the company was not. The trip got off to a horendous start because we left about 20-30 minutes later than she wanted to and threw a fit about it (no plane to catch, just a 3-4 hour drive and can check in anytime we get there). The evening was better that night as we had make up sex. Then the next night she was giving me all of this "I want to marry you someday" crap and what not. Then right after she was going on about that she informed me that "I'm sure we'll take a break together so we can go soil our wild oats" and yes, she said "soild wild oats" and that made me pretty pissed so we got in a huge fight and she thought it was completely my fault.

Best vacation:
Las Vegas! I went there last New Years and it was AWESOME!! we went clubbin every night, stayed at the Paris Hotel on the strip. Basically all we did was gamble, drink and go out to clubs. We went to Club Rain on New Years and also went to Studio 54, Ghost Bar, Rain, Drais After Hours, and Rum Jungle. Best trip EVAR!

Nzoner
05-20-2005, 10:15 AM
Best-friend of mine from high school drove here from Dallas and we left the wives at home for a 7 day trip to River Falls.

Worst-gotta say my honeymoon,and only because we were in a new Memphis hotel on the 18th floor when at 4:30 a.m. the fire alarm went off.

HemiEd
05-20-2005, 10:16 AM
Ummmmm, no.

She died a couple of months ago. Not from this incident though.

Sorry man, {feeling like a real dumbass} I did not know. STFU

Dartgod
05-20-2005, 10:18 AM
Don't sweat it. I know you meant no disrespect.

BigRedChief
05-20-2005, 10:19 AM
Hey there was only a sticky thread on the board for about 2 weeks wishing Dartgod the best during that time. :) but you can always go with the gol ole stand by and blame it where it truly lies.....

Dammit Carl! :cuss:

eazyb81
05-20-2005, 10:20 AM
Worst vacation ever was going to Branson with my mom and my grandparents. I was about 12 years old and we had to go to these corny country shows and cheesy museums. I had to sit through a Kenny Rogers concert and I was surrounded by old people the entire time. God, that vacation sucked.

jspchief
05-20-2005, 10:28 AM
Best: Negril Jamaica. My honeymoon at a Sandals resort. If anyone ever wants to go on a couples only all inclusive vacation, I highly recommend Sandals at Negril. It was the most amazing time I've ever had. Some of my childhood family vacations to SD, Montana, and Colorado were pretty awesome also.

Worst: Can't say I've had any really bad ones. I guess my senior year of HS when I went to Colorado on spring break. I went with a buddy and we stayed with his brother. All they wanted to do was smoke dope, and I was kind of growing past that stage. My buddy didn't have any money to do anything fun, so we just wasted a week at his bro's house watching TV and getting high.

eazyb81
05-20-2005, 10:30 AM
Worst: Can't say I've had any really bad ones. I guess my senior year of HS when I went to Colorado on spring break. I went with a buddy and we stayed with his brother. All they wanted to do was smoke dope, and I was kind of growing past that stage. My buddy didn't have any money to do anything fun, so we just wasted a week at his bro's house watching TV and getting high.

I had a spring break like that in college, only it was one of my best vacations. :)

My friend and I were also accompanied by two girls, so that helped.

jspchief
05-20-2005, 10:41 AM
I had a spring break like that in college, only it was one of my best vacations. :)

My friend and I were also accompanied by two girls, so that helped.A year earlier and I would have loved it. I had done my fair share of drugs in HS and by the end of my senior year I was getting pretty sick of it. About 70% of my freinds had dropped out or weren't going to graduate and I had begun to realize they were dragging me down too.

We did take a train up to Winter Park for one night to hook up with some ex-girlfreinds though. :)

shakesthecat
05-20-2005, 10:51 AM
Best: Hard to say. Trips to Alaska and Oahu with shakette were incredible in their own way, and I'd love to go back to each someday.

Worst: A trip to the east coast with my folks when I was about 14.
I was going thru that rebelious stage in a boys life, and was basically a insufferable prick. The only time I ever made my Mom cry. The one good thing to come of it was seeing that made me realize what a complete asswipe I was, and I we became closer because of it.

Skip Towne
05-20-2005, 10:58 AM
Worst Vacation"
Lake of the Ozarks with a girlfriend. We stayed at a bed & breakfast which was nice, but the company was not. The trip got off to a horendous start because we left about 20-30 minutes later than she wanted to and threw a fit about it (no plane to catch, just a 3-4 hour drive and can check in anytime we get there). The evening was better that night as we had make up sex. Then the next night she was giving me all of this "I want to marry you someday" crap and what not. Then right after she was going on about that she informed me that "I'm sure we'll take a break together so we can go soil our wild oats" and yes, she said "soild wild oats" and that made me pretty pissed so we got in a huge fight and she thought it was completely my fault.

Best vacation:
Las Vegas! I went there last New Years and it was AWESOME!! we went clubbin every night, stayed at the Paris Hotel on the strip. Basically all we did was gamble, drink and go out to clubs. We went to Club Rain on New Years and also went to Studio 54, Ghost Bar, Rain, Drais After Hours, and Rum Jungle. Best trip EVAR!
Is any of this true?

Iowanian
05-20-2005, 10:58 AM
My worst vacation was probably the one where I was flying to TimbucTu, and the plane crashed into a mountain side in the fog. Being ejected in the tumble and laying on the mountainside for 3 days surrouned by rotting corpses, with a broken back and Femur. Yeah, that sucked.

Iowanian
05-20-2005, 10:59 AM
Ok...I was just trying to be cool.

I did know a gal in college whose family was in a plane crash in Central America, who basically did that, only her entire family, and everyone else were dead.

Iowanian
05-20-2005, 11:03 AM
My best vacations have probably been

A trip with my siblings and older Cousins, spending a week on a house boat at Lake Powell....Drinking, boating, Skiing, naps, a 3 day poker game, cliff diving, and neked boat bunnies. That was the week JFK jr Croaked, and I didn't have to hear a single report about it for 10 days..no TV, no radio.

In 2001 I took a spirt of the moment trip to Spain with a cousin and 2 of her friends who had been there....I think we were there 4-5 days....rarely slept other than napping and saw Alot of country, Culture and Fun for Under $500 total.

A week in Mexico with the new bride was pretty good too........until the last day, when the gallons of fruity-tequilla drinks turned my gut inside out. Thought I might just die, waiting to get home to see a doc. It was pretty awesome outside of that.

Skip Towne
05-20-2005, 11:06 AM
My worst vacation was probably the one where I was flying to TimbucTu, and the plane crashed into a mountain side in the fog. Being ejected in the tumble and laying on the mountainside for 3 days surrouned by rotting corpses, with a broken back and Femur. Yeah, that sucked.
Liar.

Iowanian
05-20-2005, 11:11 AM
I know. I just wanted to fit in with the other kids.

Maybe I should have pulled the "you can't prove it" cap pistols instead?

Hey Skip.......Tell about your 5 month wagon train trip on the Oregon Trail when you got Dysentary twice.

Hoover
05-20-2005, 11:13 AM
Best: 8 Days in Whistler BC in January. Had a big 3 bedroom condo where you could ski in and ski out. Tons of watering holes, great fun. If you love to ski, or go to the mountains, you have to go there.

Worst: Vegas. Went with some College buddies, who were like 3 old women, didn't want to gamble and drink, they wanted to go to Hoover dam, WTF. So I spent most of the time by my self, I did win a few grand at the tables.

Rain Man
05-20-2005, 11:15 AM

I hope the airline comped your ticket.

Iowanian
05-20-2005, 11:17 AM
No they didn't...and to make it worse, I was next to the toilet Booth, and they didn't even pay for my new White Shirt, that had the Blue Water stains all over it, "because it was torn".

Cheap peanuts, generic Beer, and the inflight entertainment was the pilots son who was learning the bagpipes. Never again will i fly an airline with Duct tape visible on the wing, even if it IS cheap.

Rain Man
05-20-2005, 11:22 AM
Wasn't there a plane crash in Russia a few years back where they determined that the pilot had brought up his 12 year-old son and was letting him fly? It killed dozens of people if I remember right.

On my favorite vacation to India, I don't think I ever got on a plane in that country that wasn't leaking something. I took 8 flights on that trip, and if you count the one flight that never did take off (we had to just leave and get a car), the flight delays averaged four hours per flight. On the positive side, some flight attendant gave me several pounds of airline candy because I traded him some black market dollars. Back on the negative side, though, Indian airline candy was gross, so I gave it away.

Iowanian
05-20-2005, 11:27 AM
My folks were on a plane in Mexico once, and my dad saw Fluid leaking from the plane wing(engine) and spoke up to the pilot(I think it was a 10 person puddle jumper or something) and the reply was something like "oh, we know....don't worry until it STOPS leaking"

Baby Lee
05-20-2005, 11:35 AM
My folks were on a plane in Mexico once, and my dad saw Fluid leaking from the plane wing(engine) and spoke up to the pilot(I think it was a 10 person puddle jumper or something) and the reply was something like "oh, we know....don't worry until it STOPS leaking"
Flying on Southwest once, I look out to the wing and saw 3 rivets sticking up about 3 inches on the leading edge of the wing. They slipped back into place the instant we landed. I calmly related my observation to the flight attendant. Logically, I had faith in the redunancies built into the craft, but it was a BIT of a butt puckerer.

Bearcat
05-20-2005, 11:40 AM
I've had a lot of good vacations... spending a week in Orlando for the Tangerine Bowl a year and a half ago might have been the best. We really didn't pay for much, so it wasn't the empty-your-bank-account experience a lot of people have at Disney World.

I haven't really had a bad vacation :shrug:

Bob Dole
05-20-2005, 11:46 AM
Bob Dole has only had one vacation that meets the criteria.

No wonder Bob Dole is a cranky bastard.

Pants
05-20-2005, 11:55 AM
Flying on Southwest once, I look out to the wing and saw 3 rivets sticking up about 3 inches on the leading edge of the wing. They slipped back into place the instant we landed. I calmly related my observation to the flight attendant. Logically, I had faith in the redunancies built into the craft, but it was a BIT of a butt puckerer.

I freaked out the first time I saw an engine stop in a plane and go real quiet. I was like WTF? 11 hour flights suck.

Baby Lee
05-20-2005, 11:57 AM
Speaking of Disneyland sucking your money away, my buddy married into a fairly well off family a couple of years ago. The dad manufactures some doo-dad switch thing that apparently goes into almost any electrical device you can think of.
And I knew that they were 'to do' then he told us about 'vacation.' Pops is picking up the tab for Mom, Dad, two daughters, one son, the two daughters' husbands and kids, my buddy's mom and grandma, the other daughter's parents, and the son's girlfriend, for 3 weeks of total access passes, two townhouses on Disney property and 4 rental cars.

Brock
05-20-2005, 12:01 PM
Never had a bad vacation, as any day effing off beats working. But last year we were returning from Disney World, and landed in Memphis in the middle of an ice storm. Flight home cancelled. Ended up driving all night and half the next day on a frozen over interstate all the way to Lawrence. I would guess we were sitting at a standstill in Arkansas for a total of 4 hours, waiting for tow trucks to move the various carnage off the road.

cadmonkey
05-20-2005, 12:11 PM
Best: Negril Jamaica. My honeymoon at a Sandals resort. If anyone ever wants to go on a couples only all inclusive vacation, I highly recommend Sandals at Negril. It was the most amazing time I've ever had. Some of my childhood family vacations to SD, Montana, and Colorado were pretty awesome also.

I stayed at a place called Mariposa, it was a small resort with like 15 little cottages. Me and my buddy ended up at Hedonism II one night............what a place..............I was such a mess.

jspchief
05-20-2005, 12:33 PM
I stayed at a place called Mariposa, it was a small resort with like 15 little cottages. Me and my buddy ended up at Hedonism II one night............what a place..............I was such a mess.Sandals was right next door to Hedonism II. We went over there once, but my wife kept pointing and saying "OMG you can see his dick!" in a loud voice, so we left.

IMO the problem with nude beaches is there are rarely any people you actually want to see with no clothes on.

Dartgod
05-20-2005, 12:41 PM
Wasn't there a plane crash in Russia a few years back where they determined that the pilot had brought up his 12 year-old son and was letting him fly? It killed dozens of people if I remember right.
Yep. It was his son and his daughter. Killed 75 people in 1994.

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19940323-0

BTW, this is a pretty cool website if you have time to browse the database. You can read transcripts of the cockpit voice recorder (some you can even listen to) and they have full accident reports on many of the incidents.

NOTE TO SELF: Never fly any airline from Russia. 69 incidents since 1995, with 667 fatalities.

luv
05-20-2005, 12:46 PM
There are vacations that last over 6 days? Damn. I get 11 days of vacation a year right now. I always take mine a day here or a day there. I actually took two days in a row off last December to move into my apartment. Does that count? Then again, we do not have paid sick days or personal days where I work. I can't afford to take a day off and not get paid for it, so I save my vacation time for when I'm sick, when there's an emergency, when there's bad weather and I can't make it in, etc. Anyone crying with me yet? :deevee: ROFL

Dartgod
05-20-2005, 12:53 PM
NOTE TO SELF: Never fly any airline from Russia. 69 incidents since 1995, with 667 fatalities.
NOTE TO SELF (part deux):
A) 325 incidents, 1397 fatalities in the same time frame in USA.
B) Cancel flights to Las Vegas in July

Iowanian
05-20-2005, 02:15 PM
http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19951220-1

I'm pretty sure this was the flight the girl I knew in college was on. Pretty much her entire family was with her I think. Had a long recovery, but from what I hear is doing well for herself as a motivational speaker.

Edubs
05-20-2005, 02:26 PM
Best:

Went to Spain last year. Rented a car and drove down the coast and stayed in a smaller city on the coast. Drove the car back to Barcelona and stayed a few days there. The weather was perfect everyday.

Worst:

Branson, MO. I am sorry if you are a lover of Branson but I will never go back there again. 80 million buses filled with old timers. It took like an hour to drive anywhere. I will never go back!