PDA

View Full Version : SP2 update interrupted. Now what?

patteeu
05-19-2005, 09:45 PM
I was updating my wife's computer OS (Windows XP) the other day using the Windows Update website over dialup. I was in the middle of a multi-hour SP2 update when my connection was disrupted. Unfortunately, after reconnecting my dialup, the SP2 update never resumed. Ultimately, after giving it a few hours to resume and finish, I had to manually reboot the machine (taskmanager wouldn't even load with control-alt-delete, so I had to do a hard reset).

Now when the machine trys to boot, Windows won't start. I get far enough to make a selection between safe mode and normal mode, but neither option will lead to a successful boot process.

I'd like to do a system restore to the point prior to the SP2 install if possible, but I can't figure out how to do this since Windows won't start in either safe or normal mode. Does anyone know if there is a way to get this done using the Recovery Console? Or anything else?

As a last resort, I suspect I can just reinstall windows, but does anyone have any other advice?

Thanks in advance.

Simplex3
05-19-2005, 10:38 PM
I'd install *nix. That will fix it. Some people will tell you to install Firefox. They don't know what the hell they're talking about. ;)

Actually, you could be housed. It sounds like it managed to replace some binaries but didn't replace enough to actually make the system functional. You can probably do a rescue from your original CD, but you'll basically be going back to before you applied any updates or patches. No biggie except that Windows update frequently won't recognize that you need those updates again, so you'll have to have it show you ALL updates so you can reinstall them all.

Lzen
05-20-2005, 10:02 AM
Get broadband. ;)

Mr. Laz
05-20-2005, 12:28 PM
for future reference, i believe you can order updates on CD from the MS website.

they are free ... you just pay the shipping($5 bucks i think)

Mr. Laz
05-20-2005, 12:30 PM
in my experience, windows recovery doesn't work worth a jack

you probably need to just reinstall windows

Lzen
05-20-2005, 01:12 PM
in my experience, windows recovery doesn't work worth a jack

you probably need to just reinstall windows

If you're referring to system restore, I haven't had bad luck with it. I've used it a few times and it's worked just fine.

Mr. Laz
05-20-2005, 05:20 PM
If you're referring to system restore, I haven't had bad luck with it. I've used it a few times and it's worked just fine.
no ... restore isn't the same as recovery

recovery is when you stick the windows cd in and start the install process.

They give you a Recovery option before the normal install.

Lzen
05-23-2005, 04:15 PM
no ... restore isn't the same as recovery

recovery is when you stick the windows cd in and start the install process.

They give you a Recovery option before the normal install.

Right. I just assumed he and you were talking about system restore because he mentioned it initially.

Cochise
05-23-2005, 05:14 PM
Don't know any easy solution for that. You may just need to reinstall windows from CD, as others have said.

AeroSquid
05-23-2005, 05:38 PM
Don't know any easy solution for that. You may just need to reinstall windows from CD, as others have said.

CD? I have use a custom XP/SP2 DVD for all my pc work these days. I can install windows, office, (or open office) and all the other software i consider must haves, makes life much easier.

OP you will probably have to reformat/reinstall. Do yourself a favor and order SP2 on cd like Laz said or better yet install XP with sp2 already integrated ;)

patteeu
05-24-2005, 08:36 AM
Thanks for all the responses. Rep to all of you.

After I encountered this problem I was kicking myself because I thought I remembered having the SP2 update on CD. I do have some kind of security update on CD, but it doesn't say anything specific about whether or not it is an SP2 update. I eventually reinstalled Windows over the existing installation and tried to use that CD to update, but it didn't work. I ended up using Windows Update over dialup again and this time I got it done without a problem. It just takes a while. Anyway, everything seems to be working fine now. Thanks again for all the suggestions and comments.