PDA

View Full Version : Priest and L.J. in the SAME backfield?

TEX
05-19-2005, 09:43 PM
Q: With the emergence of RB Larry Johnson last year do you think we will see less of you this next year?

HOLMES: I definitely dont think it will be less. Hopefully we will have him in a number of packages where we will both be in the backfield at the same time. Somewhat of the days that I had at Texas with RB Ricky Williams when we were both in the backfield and we could go either direction and be very aggressive on the offensive side.

Hope it happens. Throw in Chris Wilson and Sammie Parker and we just might see the offense evolve into one that's even better than the past 3 years! :thumb:

plbrdude
05-19-2005, 09:55 PM
if the offense gets even better and the defense climbs up to rank near the top ten
:arrow: LOOK OUT

Son of Logical
05-19-2005, 10:06 PM
Not sure if this will work very well. Priest and L.J. are great half backs, but not sure either could handle being a lead blocker. Maybe, some passing packages work, but not sure the run game would be as good. JMO

Simplex3
05-19-2005, 10:07 PM
The D doesn't need to be top 10, it needs to be top 20. Assuming, of course, the offense can keep going at it's current pace.

jspchief
05-19-2005, 10:10 PM
Not sure if this will work very well. Priest and L.J. are great half backs, but not sure either could handle being a lead blocker. Maybe, some passing packages work, but not sure the run game would be as good. JMOI was thinking the same thing. Holmes runs best when waiting for Richardson's blocks to develop. This is one of those things that sounds great when playing Madden, but doesn't seem to make much sense in real life.

TEX
05-19-2005, 10:24 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Holmes runs best when waiting for Richardson's blocks to develop. This is one of those things that sounds great when playing Madden, but doesn't seem to make much sense in real life.

I'd agree if it was a full time deal. Priest was talking about a few packages. Who knows?

Logical
05-20-2005, 12:40 AM
My thought is that I agree with whoever mentioned how this has not worked for others in the past. As an example Marcus and Bo never found any magic in the same backfield.

Douche Baggins
05-20-2005, 01:04 AM
It's not about blocking. It's about having two awesome halfbacks and the defense doesn't know who's getting the ball.

Taco John
05-20-2005, 02:22 AM
I would be remiss if I didn't get this in ASAP:

RBBC!!! RBBC!!!

Douche Baggins
05-20-2005, 02:44 AM

RBBC!!! RBBC!!!

ROFL

I'm not sure how we're going to do it, but when you have two studs like we do, both of them need touches, especially considering Priest's age.

I think the best way to do it is by possession, with Priest out there 70-75 percent of the time.

Son of Logical
05-20-2005, 02:53 AM
"It's not about blocking. It's about having two awesome halfbacks and the defense doesn't know who's getting the ball."

Sorry, man but running the ball in our system is all about blocking. Priest's biggest advantages are his patience in following blocks, and his quick slashes off of those blocks. I am not sure about a L.J., but it looks like his main weapon is his speed. For L.J. the misdirection may prove beneficial, but not for Priest. So, I stick with my statement, passing packages it might work, like a double screens or something, but not when it comes to running the ball.

Douche Baggins
05-20-2005, 03:29 AM
"It's not about blocking. It's about having two awesome halfbacks and the defense doesn't know who's getting the ball."

Sorry, man but running the ball in our system is all about blocking. Priest's biggest advantages are his patience in following blocks, and his quick slashes off of those blocks. I am not sure about a L.J., but it looks like his main weapon is his speed. For L.J. the misdirection may prove beneficial, but not for Priest. So, I stick with my statement, passing packages it might work, like a double screens or something, but not when it comes to running the ball.

The Chiefs usually passed last year with 2 backs in the backfield.

But hey, they ran it a few times the year before with Blaylock in there with Priest, and Blaylock got a long TD run out of one them. Fake a handoff to priest and pitch it to Larry...that's a great play.

Bottom line: Just because one of the backs isn't blocking doesn't mean the play is doomed.

Herzig
05-20-2005, 05:04 AM
Not sure if this will work very well. Priest and L.J. are great half backs, but not sure either could handle being a lead blocker. Maybe, some passing packages work, but not sure the run game would be as good. JMO

What's nice is that we now have Robert Holcome too.

ChiefsCountry
05-20-2005, 07:57 AM
It's not about blocking. It's about having two awesome halfbacks and the defense doesn't know who's getting the ball.

In high school or college football, yes I agree with that. NFL is a little different.

Douche Baggins
05-20-2005, 07:58 AM
In high school or college football, yes I agree with that. NFL is a little different.

We've run it before and it worked great. Hell this thread isn't even news.

ct
05-20-2005, 07:59 AM

RBBC!!! RBBC!!!

Well done TJ!! :clap:

SNR
05-20-2005, 08:09 AM

RBBC!!! RBBC!!!You're just jealous that our BACKUP halfback is better than your starting HB... whoever the hell that may be.

SNR
05-20-2005, 08:14 AM
Those are some great things Diaper Boy said. The whiney bitch attitude appears to be gone.