PDA

View Full Version : Nick Athan on 38 Sports Spot. Law still a possibility.

Coogs
05-19-2005, 10:49 PM
I know most of you bag on this guy big time. But I really was impressed with with his interview tonight on the Spot. It replays at 1:30 AM Central time BTW.

Anyway. The way it sounds, Warfield did not look very good the last three days, and there could be a renewed interest from the Chiefs in going after Law.... if the price is right.

So Athan haters flame away.

beer bacon
05-19-2005, 10:51 PM
I was upset that he was not wearing a clown suit or something. He looked, sounded, and acted like a pretty normal guy :mad:

Rausch
05-19-2005, 10:51 PM
Sure. Sure he is...

Coogs
05-19-2005, 10:53 PM
He looked, sounded, and acted like a pretty normal guy.

Damned if he didn't.

TEX
05-19-2005, 10:54 PM
Ty Law and "If the price is right" will not go well together.

Coogs
05-19-2005, 10:57 PM

Maybe, maybe not. Who knows besides Law.

Just relaying what was said. Froam a guy who was actually at practice and talked to some Chiefs coaches and front office people. That is a lot more than any of us around here can say.

tk13
05-19-2005, 11:00 PM
Hey man, it's hard to play corner wearing an ankle bracelet.

Coogs
05-19-2005, 11:01 PM
As far as other players on the defense, he said Fox looked very good. Said DJ was unbelievable. And some here won't like this either, but said Bartee looked very good for the 3 days. And a CB FA from UConn has played well.

Woods was also a no show today. Don't know if any of the other threads here today have stated that.

jspchief
05-19-2005, 11:05 PM
So Warfield didn't look good in the first 3 days of mini camp, and we're ready to replace him? Does anyone else find this to be a little hard to believe? Not the Warfield looking bad part, just that the team decided to renew their interest in Law after only 3 days of Warfield being in camp.

I guess I would like to hear what he said exactly, because this sounds like a load of sh*t.

Coogs
05-19-2005, 11:10 PM
So Warfield didn't look good in the first 3 days of mini camp, and we're ready to replace him? Does anyone else find this to be a little hard to believe? Not the Warfield looking bad part, just that the team decided to renew their interest in Law after only 3 days of Warfield being in camp.

I guess I would like to hear what he said exactly, because this sounds like a load of sh*t.

He didn't say we were ready to replace him after three days. In fact he made a point of that. But with the possible first 4 game suspension coupled with Warfield not looking good, he said Law may still be in the picture.

It's not a load of sh*t. But believe what ever you want to believe.

BTW, he also said Surtain looked very good.

jspchief
05-19-2005, 11:12 PM
It's not a load of sh*t. But believe what ever you want to believe.
Sorry. I forgot Athan has a history of getting it right. I'll get my order in for a Law jersey right away. Tell your son Nick I said hi.

tk13
05-19-2005, 11:14 PM
The Athaniests are increasing in numbers! We're doomed!

Coogs
05-19-2005, 11:20 PM
Sorry. I forgot Athan has a history of getting it right. I'll get my order in for a Law jersey right away. Tell your son Nick I said hi.

Hey man, I just posted what I heard. Lighten up. I don't have time to post word-for-word 10 minutes worth of interview so you can get "exactly" what was said.

Said if Law wanted money, then Miami or Detroit was his spot. If not, the Chiefs may be for him.... and that with Warfield not looking good at all that the Chiefs might have an interest again.

I just like listening to Chiefs info, I don't care who says it. KK, Tiecher, JW, Athan... whoever. Doesn't matter, I just like Chiefs news.

TEX
05-19-2005, 11:28 PM
Hey man, I just posted what I heard. Lighten up. I don't have time to post word-for-word 10 minutes worth of interview so you can get "exactly" what was said.

Said if Law wanted money, then Miami or Detroit was his spot. If not, the Chiefs may be for him.... and that with Warfield not looking good at all that the Chiefs might have an interest again.

I just like listening to Chiefs info, I don't care who says it. KK, Tiecher, JW, Athan... whoever. Doesn't matter, I just like Chiefs news.

I agree that I like ANY news as well. I don't think it's BS, but there's the "Law and money" reference again - which is what I said about Law and the "right price" not going together. Law has ALWAYS been about the money, and there is certainly nothing wrong with that. He has his rings so what else is there? He might as well go to whoever pays him the most and that won't be KC IMO. That's all I'm saying.

alanm
05-20-2005, 12:02 AM
Well.... You gotta figure Mortons 3 million may come in handy. But since we got Surtain I don't see it happening. Besides there's always Sapp. I think he could even push Warfield for his job this year. Hell McCleon and Woods could be a cap casualtys this June also. If that happens maybe we could afford him. :hmmm:

Rausch
05-20-2005, 12:04 AM
Maybe, maybe not. Who knows besides Law.

Nick Athan knows bee-yatch! :cuss:

Taco John
05-20-2005, 12:05 AM

ROFL ROFL ROFL

You have got to be kidding me! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Nick Athan is the ultimate homers reporter... If Law wants money, then maybe Miami or Detroit is for him... But if he wants the glory and honor of playing for a great franchise, and ultimately wants a Superbowl, he will become a Chief... Something like that, no?

PastorMikH
05-20-2005, 12:07 AM
I'd be for a healthy Ty Law.

Concerning thoughts of Warfield in camp, what exactly is the problem?

Could be he forgot how to play football over the last 4 months.

Could be with Surtain out there to compare him too, he really does look bad.

Could be he has the attitude that, since all the changes and the fact that he is still a starter, his job is safe and this talk is to light a fire under him.

Could be that the house arrest and him sitting around watching TV and munching on chips, he's put on some weight - and we all know what DV thinks about that.

I'm guessing that, though Law may be an option and could be wearing Chiefs red this fall, the problem is probably the latter two. And talk of bringing in another CB may wake him up a bit. If it doesn't, I don't want him here either.

TEX
05-20-2005, 12:08 AM
Well.... You gotta figure Mortons 3 million may come in handy. But since we got Surtain I don't see it happening. Besides there's always Sapp. I think he could even push Warfield for his job this year. Hell McCleon and Woods could be a cap casualtys this June also. If that happens maybe we could afford him. :hmmm:

Yeah, it's possible - shoot anything is. But I don't know if Sapp could really push Warfield. Especially since he's having groin issues. Besides, IMO Warfield is a good # 2 CB.

Count Alex's Losses
05-20-2005, 12:10 AM
What's so funny about that? I wouldn't fork over a boatload of cash for Law's gimpy ass either.

TEX
05-20-2005, 12:10 AM
I'd be for a healthy Ty Law.

Concerning thoughts of Warfield in camp, what exactly is the problem?

Could be he forgot how to play football over the last 4 months.

Could be with Surtain out there to compare him too, he really does look bad.

Could be he has the attitude that, since all the changes and the fact that he is still a starter, his job is safe and this talk is to light a fire under him.

Could be that the house arrest and him sitting around watching TV and munching on chips, he's put on some weight - and we all know what DV thinks about that.

I'm guessing that, though Law may be an option and could be wearing Chiefs red this fall, the problem is probably the latter two. And talk of bringing in another CB may wake him up a bit. If it doesn't, I don't want him here either.

I think the deal with Warfield is he is now playing on the other side. It's gonna take some time to get used to. IMO, he'll be fine.

Rausch
05-20-2005, 12:13 AM
ROFL ROFL ROFL

You have got to be kidding me! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Nick Athan is the ultimate homers reporter... If Law wants money, then maybe Miami or Detroit is for him... But if he wants the glory and honor of playing in a Chiefs uniform, and ultimately wants a Superbowl, he will become a Chief... Something like that, no?

Speaking of homer writers, I didn't know your boy on the NFL channel was like 3 feet tall. Seriously, when Rich was pimping his big scoop I was half expecting him to reveal the secret location of the lollypop guild...

Taco John
05-20-2005, 12:21 AM
You must be talking about Schefter...

A giant, he is not...

TRR
05-20-2005, 12:36 AM
Nick Athan knows about as much about what's going on with the Chiefs as I do. He has no inside information, and all of his predictions turn out to be complete garbage.

Nick Athan saying KC is still intered in Law guarantees him signing with another team.

Pants
05-20-2005, 01:49 AM
Someone tell Nick it's pronounced "Sur-tan" not "Sur-tane". Douche.

patteeu
05-20-2005, 05:33 AM

On the one hand, you want to hear "exactly" what Athan said because for some reason you don't think that Coog's version sounds like it makes sense, but on the other hand your sarcasm makes it clear that you don't think that Athan is on the ball anyway. :shrug:

Bob Dole
05-20-2005, 05:59 AM
Someone tell Nick it's pronounced "Sur-tan" not "Sur-tane". Douche.

The new media guide is probably still at the printers.

In other news, Dante Hall couldn't run around in shorts and a t-shirt today, so the team might look to sign recently released JJ Moses.

KChiefs1
05-20-2005, 07:48 AM
I think he was saying Warfield hadn't looked good because Gun had been all over Warfield during practices...

I don't see Law in the Chiefs future though...

Pants
05-20-2005, 07:50 AM
He was also saying "War-filled" intead of "War-feeled." Dammit, I don't even speak English and I can write/speak better.

tomahawk kid
05-20-2005, 07:55 AM
I watched the Spot last night to get caught up on the OTA stuff.

Athan basically came on and spouted conjecture for 10 minutes. The scenario breaks down like this:

1. CP told Athan that the Chiefs MAY add another 1-2 Vets after June 1st, IF they would play for the league minimum.

2.Athan THINKS that Law could still come to KC for the Vet Min, because he doesn't want to play for a loser.

End of Ty Law "Info."

He also mentioned something about Bouleware, but there was no meat to any of his commentary.

I wish I could get a spot on TV giving my opinion on how I "think" things are going to turn out.

Duck Dog
05-20-2005, 08:01 AM
As soon as he can prove himself healthy, someone will offer him more money than the Chiefs can. The only way he takes less money is if he's not 100%.

jspchief
05-20-2005, 08:16 AM
Someone tell Nick it's pronounced "Sur-tan" not "Sur-tane". Douche.Are you kidding? We're talking about the guy that writes articles about Erasmus Jones and Antonio (Antoine) Winfield. Mispronouncing a name is a major triumph.

whoman69
05-20-2005, 10:03 AM
Where's a grain of salt. I'm supposed to take them with anything said by Athan.
I would have to doubt that even now Law could pass a physical.

eazyb81
05-20-2005, 10:09 AM
Law will sign with the highest bidder.....period.

We can't offer him as much as some other teams, so I think there is about a 1% chance that he signs here. I know it is fun to dream, but it's not happening.

Pants
05-20-2005, 12:01 PM
Where's a grain of salt. I'm supposed to take them with anything said by Athan.
I would have to doubt that even now Law could pass a physical.

If by grain you mean a 10 pound rock of salt, than yeah.

Mr. Laz
05-20-2005, 12:12 PM
Well.... You gotta figure Mortons 3 million may come in handy

isn't morton's money probably going to use for this year's draft picks?

i think we're pretty much done with free agents ... unless they are minimum type guys.

Kerberos
05-20-2005, 12:20 PM
I would think that if Law was interested in a good team with chances for the Super Bowl and not about a big paycheck he would be BEST off resigning with New England. They made him a pretty good offer in my book. If anything I would think that is where he would go?

:shrug:

Chiefnj
05-20-2005, 12:21 PM
If Law was really interested in playing for a winner and making more than league minimum he could have stayed with New England. I'm sure if he were willing to play for league minimum the Pats would even take him back.

Of course the Chiefs would be interested in Law if he was healthy and willing to play for league minimum. Is there a single team in the NFL that wouldn't be interested in a Pro Bowl corner willing to play for league minimum?

BIG_DADDY
05-20-2005, 12:27 PM
If Law was really interested in playing for a winner and making more than league minimum he could have stayed with New England. I'm sure if he were willing to play for league minimum the Pats would even take him back.

?
And look who his agent is, he will sign for $$$$ only.

buddha
05-20-2005, 02:28 PM
Nick Athan knows about as much about what's going on with the Chiefs as I do. He has no inside information, and all of his predictions turn out to be complete garbage.

Nick Athan saying KC is still intered in Law guarantees him signing with another team.

Athan attends the camps and practices. He talks to the players and front office people in person. Do you do any of those things?

At some point, the mindless bashing gets old.

And, for the record, saying that somebody is interested in Law doesn't ensure or predict anything.

TRR
05-20-2005, 02:33 PM
Athan attends the camps and practices. He talks to the players and front office people in person. Do you do any of those things?

And, for the record, saying that somebody is interested in Law doesn't ensure or predict anything.

I attend Training camp, but nothing more. However, I have a hard time believing he attends as many practices and talks to the coaches as much as you lead on, because I know for a fact his "former" top writer Jon Miller was covering Chiefs news like Athan does, from his home in Iowa.

Coogs
05-20-2005, 02:36 PM
I attend Training camp, but nothing more. However, I have a hard time believing he attends as many practices and talks to the coaches as much as you lead on, because I know for a fact his "former" top writer Jon Miller was covering Chiefs news like Athan does, from his home in Iowa.

FWIW, it really sounded as if he had attended all three practices.

TRR
05-20-2005, 02:36 PM

BTW, defending an idiot like Nick Athan is grounds for being banned.

TRR
05-20-2005, 02:38 PM
FWIW, it really sounded as if he had attended all three practices.

I don't doubt that he has. But I'm not sure how that gives him the knowledge of "insider information" like he posts on his site. I attend training camp...As a matter of fact, I've been on the field at training camp for 2 sessions. I've spoken with Vermeil face to face. That gave me no more knowledge of the Chiefs than I have now. And that isn't much.

Coogs
05-20-2005, 02:39 PM
I was upset that he was not wearing a clown suit or something. He looked, sounded, and acted like a pretty normal guy :mad:

And I will repost this. After reading/hearing everyone around here bash on Athan so much, this is pretty much what I thought last night as well.

tk13
05-20-2005, 02:59 PM
Well personally, I don't have a problem with the guy, but I agree with Taco John, any time there's a free agent out there he writes a big article about him coming to the Chiefs, regardless. To me, that is not news. Almost ANYBODY in the National Football League would be interested in Ty Law... "if the price is right". But does that mean we're really even remotely close to signing him or that the price is right? Sorry, but that's John Madden journalism. That's not news, and he makes people pay money for that... if he was doing it for free that would one thing, but he basically creates news to fill a magazine he can sell. Sorry, but I don't have to like it.

Coogs
05-20-2005, 03:05 PM
Well personally, I don't have a problem with the guy, but I agree with Taco John, any time there's a free agent out there he writes a big article about him coming to the Chiefs, regardless. To me, that is not news. Almost ANYBODY in the National Football League would be interested in Ty Law... "if the price is right". But does that mean we're really even remotely close to signing him or that the price is right? Sorry, but that's John Madden journalism. That's not news, and he makes people pay money for that... if he was doing it for free that would one thing, but he basically creates news to fill a magazine he can sell. Sorry, but I don't have to like it.

Let me try this again. I was watching a Sports report on the Chiefs last night. It was reported that Warfield did not look very good on any of the 3 days. So it is possible that the Chiefs may still have an interest in Law as of the 19th of June. Nothing more, nothing less.

God, I'm almost sorry I post anything I hear on the Chiefs. :banghead:

jspchief
05-20-2005, 03:07 PM
Well personally, I don't have a problem with the guy, but I agree with Taco John, any time there's a free agent out there he writes a big article about him coming to the Chiefs, regardless. To me, that is not news. Almost ANYBODY in the National Football League would be interested in Ty Law... "if the price is right". But does that mean we're really even remotely close to signing him or that the price is right? Sorry, but that's John Madden journalism. That's not news, and he makes people pay money for that... if he was doing it for free that would one thing, but he basically creates news to fill a magazine he can sell. Sorry, but I don't have to like it.Well put. That's pretty much how I feel about it. I don't think his "news" is based on anything more than him guessing at possible scenarios.

TRR
05-20-2005, 03:09 PM
Let me try this again. I was watching a Sports report on the Chiefs last night. It was reported that Warfield did not look very good on any of the 3 days. So it is possible that the Chiefs may still have an interest in Law as of the 19th of June. Nothing more, nothing less.

It's a good thread. Post anything you hear. The problem I have with Athan is the same as TK's. Just because your at practice, and you interview Vermeil or Cunnigham...it doesn't give you any inside information...ESPECIALLY to sell on your website. If Athan said, "Vermeil told me in my interview that they aren't particularly happy with Warfield...And that Law is still an option." Then there would be some credibility behind it. Right now...Athan has no more credibility than you or I. Just about any idiot can interview Dick Vermeil and attend practices if they wanted to.

tk13
05-20-2005, 03:16 PM

Hey, there's nothing to regret. I never feel guilty about anything I post, but I as the reader have the ability and the right to evaluate the source of the information, the Chiefs salary cap situation and the fact that Ty Law turned down a $7 million a year deal from the Pats, and come to my own conclusions. I don't understand why you would get so offended by that, I don't even think it's a big deal. If he's right, more power to him, I'm not going to feel stupid. I don't have to take everything as gospel though... if we'd signed every guy Nick Athan said we might sign we'd have Ty Law, Warren Sapp, etc. etc. We'd have a lot of famous players for sure. :D

Chiefnj
05-20-2005, 03:38 PM
And I will repost this. After reading/hearing everyone around here bash on Athan so much, this is pretty much what I thought last night as well.

At the end of the interview did they show the cover of a WPI magazine with a picture of Surtain and did Athan call him Samie Parker??

jspchief
05-20-2005, 03:40 PM
At the end of the interview did they show the cover of a WPI magazine with a picture of Surtain and did Athan call him Samie Parker??Well, he did say something about Stevie Parker. He also said Samie Porter was looking good in practice.

buddha
05-20-2005, 03:50 PM

I met the guy recently, and I found out how much of a commitment it is to him. You can disagree with what he says, but Nick lives in KC and is at Arrowhead on virtually a daily basis.

Jon Miller is the publisher of an Iowa site, so yes, Nick has upgraded the coverage a great deal for Warpaint recently.

If setting the record straight on any topic is grounds for getting banned, so be it.

jspchief
05-20-2005, 03:58 PM

How do you know this "for a fact"?

I know Jon from the Polk County I-Club, and I know he lived in KC for the last year or two. He just moved back to Des Moines about a month ago.

Sounds like your "facts" are as credible as Athan's.

tk13
05-20-2005, 04:05 PM
I met the guy recently, and I found out how much of a commitment it is to him. You can disagree with what he says, but Nick lives in KC and is at Arrowhead on virtually a daily basis.

Jon Miller is the publisher of an Iowa site, so yes, Nick has upgraded the coverage a great deal for Warpaint recently.

If setting the record straight on any topic is grounds for getting banned, so be it.
Getting banned? Come on now. Nobody is that harsh. I don't understand why the people defending him act like they're going to get hung up like we're in Nazi Germany. I'm sure he's a nice guy and works hard, I'm not sure anyone has ever disputed that. He has a history of inaccuracies and grammatical errors in his stories, sorry, but that's setting the record straight. I don't have a problem with him, I have no ill will and I hope he turns into a great source for Chiefs news because that's never a bad thing. I'm just a fan, but it is what it is.

HuddleClubKid
05-20-2005, 04:12 PM
Intereting that you reported that Jon Miller wrote articles from Iowa when he was working with me on the warpaint website. That's amazing becuause he lived in Kansas City the entire time and just recently moved back to Iowa for as long as I've been a part of it which for the record was in August of 2003. He has not written anything for this website in almost 18 months.

Guys... Keep the thread going its all good in the end but for the record that statement is false. In fact its worse than false, its a lie.....

Bash me all you want and I do appreciate those who stick up for me but honestly most of you have zero clue as to who I know or who I don't know or when I am somewhere or not somewhere. Really lets' focus on the players, the games and keep it at that.

I'm more than happy to answer your questions, conerns or opinions but until I see any of you out at Arrowhead one on one or with a member of my staff both locally and/or nationally, you really have no basis to question what I do or when I do it at Arrowhead.

As far as 38 the Sports Spot.... That's live TV and its not easy. Yes I fumbled a few words but that happens when you've got people prompting you and moving camera angles. It's not easy but if I was so bad then how come they keep having me on.

For the record on TY Law.... The Chiefs are interested in him. That's a fact. Does the price have to be right. Yes it does. But Law is going to have a hard time getting top dollar on a wounded foot. It's that simple.
Now I'm not saying they are going to sign him rather if the deal made sense and was not a hinderence to the salary cap, KC would make a run at him. I'm not predicting that he's coming to KC.

Seriously... Let's focus on the Chiefs. Agree or disagree with my opinions but you all need to seperate my opinions from fact. You guys rip me as if I'm saying it as fact when its my opinion.

Thanks

Nick Athan
Publisher
Warpaint Illustrated

tk13
05-20-2005, 04:30 PM
I've never questioned anyone's sources, I've never questioned your reporters, and I've never said that you predicted Ty Law is coming to KC. I'd suggest it's not the best way to make peace with fans to pull the "Well I have access to Arrowhead and you don't" card either. And to be honest I'd hope our organization looks at everybody on the open market in terms of value at the right price. Does that make it newsworthy? I don't know, I guess that's the question... I wish you the best though, I don't really have any problems with you, but I have the right to read your articles like I have the last few years and make decisions based off of them. I think you're in the wrong business if you don't want to be open for criticism, because even if you climb to the top of the mountain you're going to be criticized. Posnanski and Whitlock are two of the best columnists in the country and they get criticized on this board on a regular basis. That's just how it goes.

buddha
05-20-2005, 04:30 PM
BTW, defending an idiot like Nick Athan is grounds for being banned.

The banning talk originated from TRR. I was simply responding to his statement.

bricks
05-20-2005, 04:34 PM
Hey, there's nothing to regret. I never feel guilty about anything I post, but I as the reader have the ability and the right to evaluate the source of the information, the Chiefs salary cap situation and the fact that Ty Law turned down a $7 million a year deal from the Pats, and come to my own conclusions. I don't understand why you would get so offended by that, I don't even think it's a big deal. If he's right, more power to him, I'm not going to feel stupid. I don't have to take everything as gospel though... if we'd signed every guy Nick Athan said we might sign we'd have Ty Law, Warren Sapp, etc. etc. We'd have a lot of famous players for sure. :D

Oh yeah for sure. We'd be like the Washington Redskins. I wonder how rufus would react to that?
:hmmm:

buddha
05-20-2005, 04:36 PM
I wish you the best though, I don't really have any problems with you, but I have the right to read your articles like I have the last few years and make decisions based off of them. I think you're in the wrong business if you don't want to be open for criticism, because even if you climb to the top of the mountain you're going to be criticized, Posnanski and Whitlock are two of the best sportswriters in the country and they get criticized on this board all the time. That's just how it goes.

Criticism is part of the job description, but even on these boards, an ounce of fairness goes a long way. I think Posnanski, Flanagan and DeArmond do a great job. I really dislike Whitlock's work because he has chosen the low road far too often in what he reports and how he reports it.

Accountability is a two-way street.

TRR
05-20-2005, 04:43 PM
Intereting that you reported that Jon Miller wrote articles from Iowa when he was working with me on the warpaint website. That's amazing becuause he lived in Kansas City the entire time and just recently moved back to Iowa for as long as I've been a part of it which for the record was in August of 2003. He has not written anything for this website in almost 18 months.

Guys... Keep the thread going its all good in the end but for the record that statement is false. In fact its worse than false, its a lie.....

Bash me all you want and I do appreciate those who stick up for me but honestly most of you have zero clue as to who I know or who I don't know or when I am somewhere or not somewhere. Really lets' focus on the players, the games and keep it at that.

I'm more than happy to answer your questions, conerns or opinions but until I see any of you out at Arrowhead one on one or with a member of my staff both locally and/or nationally, you really have no basis to question what I do or when I do it at Arrowhead.

As far as 38 the Sports Spot.... That's live TV and its not easy. Yes I fumbled a few words but that happens when you've got people prompting you and moving camera angles. It's not easy but if I was so bad then how come they keep having me on.

For the record on TY Law.... The Chiefs are interested in him. That's a fact. Does the price have to be right. Yes it does. But Law is going to have a hard time getting top dollar on a wounded foot. It's that simple.
Now I'm not saying they are going to sign him rather if the deal made sense and was not a hinderence to the salary cap, KC would make a run at him. I'm not predicting that he's coming to KC.

Seriously... Let's focus on the Chiefs. Agree or disagree with my opinions but you all need to seperate my opinions from fact. You guys rip me as if I'm saying it as fact when its my opinion.

Thanks

Nick Athan
Publisher
Warpaint Illustrated

I know Jon Miller personally. When he started working for you, he still had his Iowa board and lived in Iowa. He moved up to KC months after you started your website. You can say what you will, but Miller was covering KC football for your magazine while he lived in Iowa. BTW, I can tell you how Miller got kicked off his first Iowa board if you want me to. BTW, what ever happend to KC getting Warren Sapp, etc? How about the Kevin Johnson deal that was going to announced after the draft according to you? You make predictions. You have nothing to back those predictions up.

TRR
05-20-2005, 04:44 PM
Getting banned? Come on now. Nobody is that harsh. I don't understand why the people defending him act like they're going to get hung up like we're in Nazi Germany. I'm sure he's a nice guy and works hard, I'm not sure anyone has ever disputed that. He has a history of inaccuracies and grammatical errors in his stories, sorry, but that's setting the record straight. I don't have a problem with him, I have no ill will and I hope he turns into a great source for Chiefs news because that's never a bad thing. I'm just a fan, but it is what it is.

The getting banned comment was a joke off another thread. The idiot part was not.

shaneo69
05-20-2005, 04:58 PM
I liked Athan's article about Boulware coming here to be a situational pass rusher for more than $2 mil per year.

TRR
05-20-2005, 05:01 PM
I liked Athan's article about Boulware coming here to be a situational pass rusher for more than $2 mil per year.

Yeah, that's not going to happen.

shaneo69
05-20-2005, 05:16 PM
Yeah, that's not going to happen.

At the right price, I think he'd be a good pick-up.

TRR
05-20-2005, 05:18 PM
At the right price, I think he'd be a good pick-up.

I agree. Maybe Nick knows more than we do. You know, he interviews coaches!! :rolleyes:

shaneo69
05-20-2005, 05:22 PM
I agree. Maybe Nick knows more than we do. You know, he interviews coaches!! :rolleyes:

I think right now Nick is working on his next story about how the Chiefs are interested in L.J. Shelton to be Willie Roaf's successor, if he's available for the right price.

TRR
05-20-2005, 05:25 PM
I think right now Nick is working on his next story about how the Chiefs are interested in L.J. Shelton to be Willie Roaf's successor, if he's available for the right price.

Well, I'm sure DV told it to him personally. Either way, I won't be able to read it with all the spelling and grammar errors.

Wile_E_Coyote
05-20-2005, 06:46 PM
is Jack Harry that sexy in person

Phobia
05-20-2005, 07:15 PM
Okay - I'm uncertain if Nick has always had reliable sources within the Chiefs organization, but I'm sure he has them now. Dude has full blown media credentials. That makes him a member of the press. You guys can blast him all you wish, he even deserves some of it. But, he's come on here like a man, acknowledged past transgressions, and pledged to do better in the future. At least give credit for that.

He may be often wrong and he may misspell a lot of shit, but his rag is covering the Chiefs more frequently than the star and that's not a bad thing.

tk13
05-20-2005, 07:36 PM
He may be often wrong and he may misspell a lot of shit, but his rag is covering the Chiefs more frequently than the star and that's not a bad thing.

I know I'm completely in a minority on this, but for the most part I think the Star's sports section does a pretty good job. Don't care much for Teicher but as a whole they are pretty good, but just like Athan, if I don't like Teicher's generally negative attitude or if I think Whitlock is off in outer space I'll say so. I hope I'm treating Athan the same way. I'm also in the minority I think, but I don't care if there's somebody covering the Chiefs "all the time", I just want accuracy when there is news to report.

TRR
05-20-2005, 07:41 PM
Okay - I'm uncertain if Nick has always had reliable sources within the Chiefs organization, but I'm sure he has them now. Dude has full blown media credentials. That makes him a member of the press. You guys can blast him all you wish, he even deserves some of it. But, he's come on here like a man, acknowledged past transgressions, and pledged to do better in the future. At least give credit for that.

I agree to some extent. However, how does full blown media credentials translate into inside information on who the Chiefs are looking at in the draft, FA, and after June 1st? How do media credentials translate into a higher knowledge of how good or bad Vermeil and company think a player is preforming? I know a handful of media people. They have no more insider information than anyone else does. They ask questions that everyone gets to read.

Maybe I'm missing something.

shaneo69
05-20-2005, 07:53 PM
From what I've read of Athan, he acquires his insider info in the following manner.....

Nick: So do you think if free agent x (i.e. Ty Law) would sign for the minimum, DV and CP would be interested?

"Anonymous" source: Uh, yeah.

Nick's next article:

"The Chiefs are defanitely intereted in free agent x, provided he is willig to sign for the right price."

Alphaman
05-20-2005, 08:01 PM

I totally agree. I continue to be amazed at how fans complain about the Star not giving enough coverage of the Chiefs, about the Chiefs website not providing enough info even if it is just rumors and yet continue to blast a guy who is trying to provide Chiefs information. Yes, he's trying to make a buck at it, but you can't deny that there is a market for it. He's admitted some past mistakes, he's admitted the grammatical and spelling errors and is endeavoring to add editors to his staff.

Does interviewing Vermeil and Peterson plus going to some practices give him insider information? Are you kidding me? Yes it gives him insider information. If he can sit down one on one with Peterson, do you honestly believe he can get that kind of access without having other contacts and sources within the Chiefs organization?

You guys do realize that the OTA from this past week was closed to the public. ONLY media was allowed in. He posted a daily account of what he saw during the OTAs on his website. It was very similar to the daily stuff at the UWRF daily read during training camp. You didn't get that from the Star, you didn't get it from the Chiefs website. You only got it from Warpaint Illustrated.

One final note. Articles about potential free agents are editorials that discuss what people are already talking about. He doesn't try to pass them off as "scoops" or "late breaking news". His articles do provide some information about players that others may or may not know so it helps spur conversation. He doesn't say that a guy is definitely coming, he only points out how they may fit in.

You guys really amaze me.

Alphaman
05-20-2005, 08:07 PM
From what I've read of Athan, he acquires his insider info in the following manner.....

Nick: So do you think if free agent x (i.e. Ty Law) would sign for the minimum, DV and CP would be interested?

"Anonymous" source: Uh, yeah.

Nick's next article:

"The Chiefs are defanitely intereted in free agent x, provided he is willig to sign for the right price."

Just be fair in your criticism. He didn't say the Chiefs would be interested if Law would play for the minimum. He said if the price is right. Only the Chiefs know what that price is. Most on this board are speculating that it's the minimum. That assumption may be false.

shaneo69
05-20-2005, 08:22 PM
Just be fair in your criticism. He didn't say the Chiefs would be interested if Law would play for the minimum. He said if the price is right. Only the Chiefs know what that price is. Most on this board are speculating that it's the minimum. That assumption may be false.

Athan: "Would DV and CP be interested in free agent x for the right price?

"Anonymous" source: "Yes."

Athan: "Thanks, that's all I needed to know."

Yeah, no need for any follow-up clarification there, Nick.

milkman
05-20-2005, 09:02 PM

As a fan looking for Chiefs news, when you report a story, and that story turns out to be inaccurate, then I have every right to question what you do, and when you do it.

That's understandable, but how do you explain the errors in WPI, such as the reference to "Erasmus Jones"?
Do you proof what you write, or have an editor?

So, was it your opinion that Kevin Johnson was signed and it would be reported later?
If so, why was it written in such a manner to appear as fact?

We'll be happy to separate your opinions from fact, if you'll do us the courtesy of doing the same yourself.

Thanks

Nick Athan
Publisher
Warpaint Illustrated

Thanks
John H Chinn
SideWinder
ChiefsPlanet Dumbass

Alphaman
05-20-2005, 09:07 PM
As a fan looking for Chiefs news, when you report a story, and that story turns out to be inaccurate, then I have every right to question what you do, and when you do it.

That's understandable, but how do you explain the errors in WPI, such as the reference to "Erasmus Jones"?
Do you proof what you write, or have an editor?

So, was it your opinion that Kevin Johnson was signed and it would be reported later?
If so, why was it written in such a manner to appear as fact?

We'll be happy to separate your opinions from fact, if you'll do us the courtesy of doing the same yourself.

Thanks
John H Chinn
SideWinder
ChiefsPlanet Dumbass

You also need to separate what he reports as fact in an article and what he posts in threads on his message boards as inside info.

HuddleClubKid
05-20-2005, 09:23 PM
I was not calling you out... I'm ok with the criticism honestly. It's all good banter. Everyone is entitled to the opinion my main beef was with the Jon Miller reference.

TRR
05-20-2005, 09:41 PM
I was not calling you out... I'm ok with the criticism honestly. It's all good banter. Everyone is entitled to the opinion my main beef was with the Jon Miller reference.

Well, my main beef is with you reporting things that never come true, or are inaccurate. You've been writing about player signings for two years now, and I'm not sure one of your predictions has come true. It dates all the way back to Troy Vincent being a Chief, to Warren Sapp, to Kevin Johnson already signing a deal...(I'm not even going to bring up the Ed Hartwell disaster on your site)...I could go on all day.

I may be a little blunt, but you have no credibility. It's great that you interview the coaches. It's great that you attend practice. But your predictions have no merit what so ever.

Alphaman
05-21-2005, 09:07 AM
Well, my main beef is with you reporting things that never come true, or are inaccurate. You've been writing about player signings for two years now, and I'm not sure one of your predictions has come true. It dates all the way back to Troy Vincent being a Chief, to Warren Sapp, to Kevin Johnson already signing a deal...(I'm not even going to bring up the Ed Hartwell disaster on your site)...I could go on all day.

I may be a little blunt, but you have no credibility. It's great that you interview the coaches. It's great that you attend practice. But your predictions have no merit what so ever.

He never said Kevin Johnson had been signed. He said they had agreed on a deal and it would be signed after the draft. Detroit stepped in and offered more money. Surely you would give room for players changing their minds. He said the same thing about Carlos Hall. Only this time, everyone involved followed through.

The same goes with Hartwell. The first few days of free agency, the Chiefs heavily recruited Hartwell. Once they signed Bell, they stopped negotiating with Hartwell, but left their offer on the table (which is what Nick said). While everyone else was reporting that the Chiefs were no longer in the hunt for Hartwell, Nick maintained that while they were not negotiating with Hartwell, they did have a best and final offer on the table. Still every other media outlet said the Chiefs weren't involved. The agent kept saying they were talking to Chiefs (so did Nick). In the end, Nick told everyone that the agent used the Chiefs final offer to get Atlanta to up their offer. If they hadn't, Hartwell would have taken the Chiefs offer.

If you followed Hartwell, surely you followed the Surtain situation as well. Nick was all over that whole affair.

I just started following Warpaint this year and have found it to be a good source of info, debate, and rumor. If you are looking for absolute facts only, then you'll have to get a job in the Chiefs front office.

Finally, there is a difference between reporting news (i.e. an article reporting what has happened), an editorial speculating about what could happen, and a post on a message board relaying rumors. It seems as though many on this board count them all the same.

HuddleClubKid
05-21-2005, 10:36 AM
Let's put this one other way TRR. Where do you work? Do you make mistakes? Do those mistakes cause your employer to be concerned about your ability to do you job. You pin your comments on stories written a couple of seasons ago.

1. Troy Vincent... His agent worked out a deal with the Chiefs and from all indications he was going to come to KC and sign. Then Buffalo offered him more money before the official visit and he signed with the Bills. I was NOT the only person who ran that story and I never said he was signed, sealed and delivered.

2. I said the Chiefs had interest in Warren Sapp. Not that they were going to sign him. The interest was real but the Raiders offered him more dollars than KC. At the end of the day his character was the reason the Chiefs did not push harder to get the deal done.

3. Kevin Johnson deal was agreed upon and both parties felt it was best to hold off until after the draft. Johnson pushed the Lions offered a measly $100,000 more and he took it to sign before the draft.

5. As far as the Jones error... Yep take full responsibility for that it was stupid.. Flat out. No excuses.

6. Ed Hartwell... I can tell you with 100% fact that the two sides were closing in on a deal the first two days into free agency. Then the agent who had told Hartwell that he would get him a double digit signing bonus, had to back-peddle and increase the offer. The Chiefs said no and went on to Bell. After that the Chiefs left the offer on the table and were close to signing him again until the Falcons offered more money. I stood by those comments and both ESPN and Bob Gretz confirmed that the Chiefs were players in the Hartwell saga until the end.

7. Patrick Surtain... For those who were Premium Members they knew upwards of 12 hours before the deal was done. Though we could not get a second source to verify, we let our premium members know before any other outlet. I chose not to run the story because I could not verify within the Chiefs organization until it hit the next morning.

As far as anything else, you can rip me all you want. As Phil has said to you, I'm a big boy and if a mistake is made then people will let me know it.

I'm ok with that. I make mistakes but the site is still growing, everyone from the Planet, Chiefs Coalition and other websites check us out everyday. Bottom line is mistakes get made and in whatever profession you currently work in; I doubt you are exempt from perfection.

As I've stated to each and every member of the Planet who have sent me e-mails, it's getting better and I realize what needs to be corrected.

But to bring up the past over and over again is virtually pointless. For those that actually know me and work with me and the members of Warpaint Illustrated, all understand what I'm about and why I work as hard as I do and why others work as hard as they do on the site. Because we love the Chiefs.

This is a great community and I respect each and every member. Regardless of our differences, we have the same passion and that's the Chiefs.

Nick
Warpaint Illustrated

bricks
05-21-2005, 12:04 PM
Let's put this one other way TRR. Where do you work? Do you make mistakes? Do those mistakes cause your employer to be concerned about your ability to do you job. You pin your comments on stories written a couple of seasons ago.

1. Troy Vincent... His agent worked out a deal with the Chiefs and from all indications he was going to come to KC and sign. Then Buffalo offered him more money before the official visit and he signed with the Bills. I was NOT the only person who ran that story and I never said he was signed, sealed and delivered.

2. I said the Chiefs had interest in Warren Sapp. Not that they were going to sign him. The interest was real but the Raiders offered him more dollars than KC. At the end of the day his character was the reason the Chiefs did not push harder to get the deal done.

3. Kevin Johnson deal was agreed upon and both parties felt it was best to hold off until after the draft. Johnson pushed the Lions offered a measly $100,000 more and he took it to sign before the draft.

5. As far as the Jones error... Yep take full responsibility for that it was stupid.. Flat out. No excuses.

6. Ed Hartwell... I can tell you with 100% fact that the two sides were closing in on a deal the first two days into free agency. Then the agent who had told Hartwell that he would get him a double digit signing bonus, had to back-peddle and increase the offer. The Chiefs said no and went on to Bell. After that the Chiefs left the offer on the table and were close to signing him again until the Falcons offered more money. I stood by those comments and both ESPN and Bob Gretz confirmed that the Chiefs were players in the Hartwell saga until the end.

7. Patrick Surtain... For those who were Premium Members they knew upwards of 12 hours before the deal was done. Though we could not get a second source to verify, we let our premium members know before any other outlet. I chose not to run the story because I could not verify within the Chiefs organization until it hit the next morning.

As far as anything else, you can rip me all you want. As Phil has said to you, I'm a big boy and if a mistake is made then people will let me know it.

I'm ok with that. I make mistakes but the site is still growing, everyone from the Planet, Chiefs Coalition and other websites check us out everyday. Bottom line is mistakes get made and in whatever profession you currently work in; I doubt you are exempt from perfection.

As I've stated to each and every member of the Planet who have sent me e-mails, it's getting better and I realize what needs to be corrected.

But to bring up the past over and over again is virtually pointless. For those that actually know me and work with me and the members of Warpaint Illustrated, all understand what I'm about and why I work as hard as I do and why others work as hard as they do on the site. Because we love the Chiefs.

This is a great community and I respect each and every member. Regardless of our differences, we have the same passion and that's the Chiefs.

Nick
Warpaint Illustrated

Thank you Nick. Just to let you know, we appreciate your honestly. We've seen you make a lot of mistakes, that's the honest truth. We'd like to see at least some credibility on your part. As of today, I'm sorry to say this, but, you don't have much credibility. We're hoping you can learn from your mistakes, and do a better job in the near future.

*Guys give him a break. Like Phobia said, he's come out here like a man. So give him credit. Good luck to you Nick.

TRR
05-21-2005, 12:41 PM

Nick
Warpaint Illustrated

I'll put it this way. If I made as many signing, grammar, and spelling errors at work as you do...I'd be fired today! The local weather man is more accurate on his predictions. Thanks for taking it like a man though. I appreciate your response.

DTLB58
05-21-2005, 12:55 PM

I LOVE your sig! Great job
:clap:

TRR
05-21-2005, 12:59 PM
I LOVE your sig! Great job
:clap:

Hey thanks...I like yours as well. Are you headed up to River Falls again this summer? I'm thinking about heading up around the 9th, and hitting the KC Preseason game on the way home (12th). I'm kind of waiting for the daily schedule to come out before I lock in my plans.

Alphaman
05-21-2005, 01:15 PM
I'll put it this way. If I made as many signing, grammar, and spelling errors at work as you do...I'd be fired today! The local weather man is more accurate on his predictions. Thanks for taking it like a man though. I appreciate your response.

That's the beauty of running your own business. New business owners and business ventures make tons of mistakes. For example, several years ago, Dell laptops were catching on fire. Many predicted they'd never make it and vowed to never own a Dell again. Today, they are the world leader in desktops and laptops and many of those same critics wouldn't give up their Dell for anything. Heck, I'm typing this on my Dell laptop right now.

Nightfyre
05-21-2005, 01:21 PM
Out of curiousity, do the Chiefs have an interest in any possible june 1 cap casualty corners?

TRR
05-21-2005, 01:32 PM
Out of curiousity, do the Chiefs have an interest in any possible june 1 cap casualty corners?

Yes they do...Ty Law at the right price. But you'd have to interview Dick Vermeil or attend practice to know that... :)

Nightfyre
05-21-2005, 04:00 PM
Yes they do...Ty Law at the right price. But you'd have to interview Dick Vermeil or attend practice to know that... :)
I meant other than ty law...

TRR
05-21-2005, 04:35 PM
I meant other than ty law...

It was a joke.

Pants
05-21-2005, 05:25 PM
Nick, how can I take your articles serioulsy when they're often full of mistakes, horribly written and never come true? Anybody can make generalized predicitions, especially if there's a condition in there. Example: The Earth will blow up tomorrow. That is if the Sun blows up. Yes, the Chiefs are interested in Law for the right price, they'd be interested in any big name player for the right price, that's not newsworthy, though, since it's common knowledge. Pretty much every article of yours I've read consisted of such "information".

Also, wouldn't a person who follows the Chiefs as much as you do at least know the names of the players on the team? And if you want to be a journalist, I suggest you take a basic grammar course.

tk13
05-21-2005, 05:40 PM
Yes, the Chiefs are interested in Law for the right price, they'd be interested in any big name player for the right price, that's not newsworthy, though, since it's common knowledge.

That's been my point all along, but people just kinda ignored it. Thinking about it though and reading this board, there is obviously a market for that information. I think it's common sense stuff, but there's obviously a market for Chiefs rumors and innuendo, a tabloid-esque approach if you will. Look at when we were going after Rolle and other FA's... and everybody was trying to figure out which plane was at what airport and whether we had wives looking for houses, etc. People ate that stuff up. Personally speaking, after going through Hugh Douglas and Grant Wistrom and Rolle and Trotter and everybody else the last few years, I personally don't want to ever hear about another damn FA again until we've actually signed the sucker, but like clockwork there's going to be people who drool over every little possible detail, and kudos to Athan for realizing he can take advantage of that situation. He's a better entrepreneur than I.

milkman
05-21-2005, 07:22 PM
That's been my point all along, but people just kinda ignored it. Thinking about it though and reading this board, there is obviously a market for that information. I think it's common sense stuff, but there's obviously a market for Chiefs rumors and innuendo, a tabloid-esque approach if you will. Look at when we were going after Rolle and other FA's... and everybody was trying to figure out which plane was at what airport and whether we had wives looking for houses, etc. People ate that stuff up. Personally speaking, after going through Hugh Douglas and Grant Wistrom and Rolle and Trotter and everybody else the last few years, I personally don't want to ever hear about another damn FA again until we've actually signed the sucker, but like clockwork there's going to be people who drool over every little possible detail, and kudos to Athan for realizing he can take advantage of that situation. He's a better entrepreneur than I.

A few years ago, before I found the Star BB, and later became a planeteer, I would have been ecstatic to find a source of Chiefs rumours like Warpaint.
But because the people here find and link so much info, the tripe he writes is just hard to swallow.

I'll say this though.
He did come on here and discuss his work, and stood up and took the criticism.
I'll give him a chance to grow and learn.

htismaqe
05-22-2005, 06:04 AM

Until a month ago, Jon Miller's home was in KANSAS CITY.

Jon Miller was covering the Chiefs for Warpaint because he was already working for the Scout.com network (Hawkeye Nation) and because he lived in KC.

He's moved up here now for a gig on WHO radio, but at the time he was writing for Warpaint, he lived in KC.

htismaqe
05-22-2005, 06:11 AM
I know Jon Miller personally. When he started working for you, he still had his Iowa board and lived in Iowa. He moved up to KC months after you started your website. You can say what you will, but Miller was covering KC football for your magazine while he lived in Iowa. BTW, I can tell you how Miller got kicked off his first Iowa board if you want me to. BTW, what ever happend to KC getting Warren Sapp, etc? How about the Kevin Johnson deal that was going to announced after the draft according to you? You make predictions. You have nothing to back those predictions up.

Yeah, thanks for reminding us that you have a personal beef with Jon Miller because of the way he covered the basketball team.

Fact is, Jon Miller is a respected member of the Hawkeye sports team. I know because Kirk Ferentz told me so at an I-club meeting.

Gaz
05-22-2005, 07:26 AM
The main problem I have with Warpaint is that there seems to be no distinction between “Hey...wouldn’t it be cool if this happened…” and “my inside sources tell me…”

Therefore, I take ALL Warpaint stories with the same healthy dose of skepticism.

Kinda like the Planet…

Oh, and really guys, hire a line editor. Presentation is not the only thing, it may not even be the main thing, but it is a real and valid thing.

xoxo~
Gaz
Considers it ALL rumor and innuendo until it hits the Chiefs website.

tomahawk kid
05-22-2005, 08:00 AM
The main problem I have with Warpaint is that there seems to be no distinction between “Hey...wouldn’t it be cool if this happened…” and “my inside sources tell me…”

Therefore, I take ALL Warpaint stories with the same healthy dose of skepticism.

Kinda like the Planet…

Oh, and really guys, hire a line editor. Presentation is not the only thing, it may not even be the main thing, but it is a real and valid thing.

xoxo~
Gaz
Considers it ALL rumor and innuendo until it hits the Chiefs website.

Couldn't agree more. Take my example as an illustration of my issues with Warpaint.

My dad subscribes to WPI to get his fix for Chiefs news. My parents live
about 1 & 1/2 hour, and that the Post Dispatch's coverage of the Chiefs is basically nill (as you can probably imagine).

In any event, he takes many of the rumors in WPI seriously because that's how they're presented. My dad previously had a subsciption to the KC Chiefs report (which I think the origanization issued as Gretz was the Editor), which rarely reported something unless it was definite. For that reason he takes WPI in the same vein. He doesn't have an outlet like the Planet to filter one man's opinion from definitive fact.

As Gaz states above, this distinction would be VERY helpful and more clearly define WPI's "market niche"

I can't disagree w/ Phob's contention that Nick is a nice guy. Everything that I've seen of him seems to indicate that. I applaud Nick's efforts to issue a Chiefs related mag and I think WPI could be a legitimate publication with a little "tweaking" from a presentation perspective.

Coogs
05-22-2005, 12:19 PM
The part about Athan's interview on the Spot that I found more interesting than anything, was that Warfield did not play well for three straight practices.

That is the thing Athan can tell us that no ohter person on the Planet can.

And having him go to practices, AND post here from time to time....

well we just might be able to have access to questions and answers nobody else can give us.

Just like when TRR will go to training camp. i will read his reports with interest, and maybe ask him questions.

We possibly have that same advantage, having Athan actually going to see all of the practices.

So here is to Athan....:thumb:

Thanks for your reports and information!

Nightfyre
05-22-2005, 12:32 PM
It was a joke.
I caught the rather unsightly sarcasm. Don't worry.

Pants
05-22-2005, 03:15 PM

lol, not really.

Deberg_1990
05-22-2005, 03:21 PM
Id Love to see Law in a Chiefs uniform as long as that ankle is fully Healed. Law, Surtain and Warfield at nickel would be as formidible as any backfield in the league.

TRR
05-22-2005, 04:00 PM
Yeah, thanks for reminding us that you have a personal beef with Jon Miller because of the way he covered the basketball team.

Fact is, Jon Miller is a respected member of the Hawkeye sports team. I know because Kirk Ferentz told me so at an I-club meeting.

Jon Miller has nothing to do with the Iowa sports team. All he does is interviews college kids that are unaware of the fact that he goes back and sells those interviews on his website. I know a couple of Iowa football and basketball players that will refuse to be interviewed by him because he is pocketing money at their expense.

That's my beef with Jon Miller...And he did live in Iowa when he wrote for WP in the very beginning.

htismaqe
05-22-2005, 05:14 PM
Jon Miller has nothing to do with the Iowa sports team. All he does is interviews college kids that are unaware of the fact that he goes back and sells those interviews on his website. I know a couple of Iowa football and basketball players that will refuse to be interviewed by him because he is pocketing money at their expense.

That's my beef with Jon Miller...And he did live in Iowa when he wrote for WP in the very beginning.

That's why my friend sat with him in the press box, along with Gary Dolphin and Ed Podalak?

Jon Miller covers the Hawkeyes and has full press credentials.

I don't really care what your beef is with him and the basketball team. You came out defending Pierre Pierce, did you not? Since that time, the team went 4 of 5 and made the tourney while Pierce violated his no-contact order something like 250 times. Yet it was me who was the idiot for saying the team would be better off without him.

Miller doesn't get along with Steve Alford, that much is true. Then again, there's more than just one guy that doesn't get along with Alford. That's Alford's fault, not Jon Miller's.

EDIT: If I were an Iowa football player, I'd be insulted that you think I'm not smart enough to know that Jon Miller writes for Scout.com which is a pay site. How in the world is he profiting at anyone's expense? If that's the case, then Ed Podolak is doing the same, or Sean Keeler at the Des Moines Register. Sounds you have a personal beef with him for whatever reason. Profiting he is, but dishonest he is not.

TRR
05-22-2005, 06:40 PM
That's why my friend sat with him in the press box, along with Gary Dolphin and Ed Podalak?

Jon Miller covers the Hawkeyes and has full press credentials.

I don't really care what your beef is with him and the basketball team. You came out defending Pierre Pierce, did you not? Since that time, the team went 4 of 5 and made the tourney while Pierce violated his no-contact order something like 250 times. Yet it was me who was the idiot for saying the team would be better off without him.

Miller doesn't get along with Steve Alford, that much is true. Then again, there's more than just one guy that doesn't get along with Alford. That's Alford's fault, not Jon Miller's.

EDIT: If I were an Iowa football player, I'd be insulted that you think I'm not smart enough to know that Jon Miller writes for Scout.com which is a pay site. How in the world is he profiting at anyone's expense? If that's the case, then Ed Podolak is doing the same, or Sean Keeler at the Des Moines Register. Sounds you have a personal beef with him for whatever reason. Profiting he is, but dishonest he is not.

You have your opinion and I have mine. We will leave it at that.

BTW...There is no way you lose your leading scorer, and come out a better team. PP is a headcase for sure. But nobody can doubt his basketball skills. We beat some of the better teams in the Nation with Pierce on the team. We beat a bunch of nobody's without him.

tk13
05-22-2005, 06:57 PM
The part about Athan's interview on the Spot that I found more interesting than anything, was that Warfield did not play well for three straight practices.

And having him go to practices, AND post here from time to time....

well we just might be able to have access to questions and answers nobody else can give us.

Just like when TRR will go to training camp. i will read his reports with interest, and maybe ask him questions.

We possibly have that same advantage, having Athan actually going to see all of the practices.

I absolutely agree. I'm not sure anyone is arguing that. I think he has a great advantage over the average fan, and has access to things that could make him very successful. He should use the access he has to get exclusive interviews, feature stories, and practice recaps just to name a few. I would be very, very interested in things like that. But really for the most part the rumors are what he's become known for.

Alphaman
05-22-2005, 07:15 PM

BTW...There is no way you lose your leading scorer, and come out a better team. PP is a headcase for sure. But nobody can doubt his basketball skills. We beat some of the better teams in the Nation with Pierce on the team. We beat a bunch of nobody's without him.

I don't know much about Iowa Basketball, but I do know about basketball in general. A TEAM can absolutely be better without their leading scorer. If that scorer is a ball hog and doesn't get his team involved, he's more of a detriment than a help, talent aside. That's why you see mediocre talented teams beat teams with filled with individual "stars". Team ball beats 5 individuals every time.

Bowser
05-22-2005, 07:17 PM
So is it safe to assume that Ty Law has becoming a larger legend than Hugh Douglas?

Wile_E_Coyote
05-22-2005, 07:25 PM
Warfield is switching sides & will need time to adjust. Athan has posted stories linking Law to the Chiefs. I'm sorry but I see him reporting what is in his best interest here.

htismaqe
05-22-2005, 07:28 PM

They beat Louisville and Texas with him. With him, they also lost to Northwestern and Purdue. Oh, and don't forget the loss to Michigan, who only won FOUR Big 10 games.

Make excuses all you want. The team was 4-8 in the Big 10 when he got busted. They lost barely to Minnesota and then won all four of their remaining regular season Big 10 games and also beat eventual Final Four participant Michigan State in the Big 10 tourney. Without him.

It's easy to see, some people just don't want to admit it.

Alphaman
05-22-2005, 07:31 PM
Warfield is switching sides & will need time to adjust. Athan has posted stories linking Law to the Chiefs. I'm sorry but I see him reporting what is in his best interest here.

That's a bit of a reach. Athan has NEVER claimed the Chiefs are looking to cut Warfield, only they are still interested in Law. The analysis of Warfield is totally seperate.

Pants
05-22-2005, 07:34 PM
Athan has NEVER claimed the Chiefs are looking to cut Warfield.

Who did?

Wile_E_Coyote
05-22-2005, 07:36 PM
That's a bit of a reach. Athan has NEVER claimed the Chiefs are looking to cut Warfield, only they are still interested in Law. The analysis of Warfield is totally seperate.

where did I say anything about cutting Warfield. That was the whole point in bringing up Law in the first place, that Warfield didn't look good in practice

jspchief
05-22-2005, 07:46 PM
Who did?The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

What did you expect from Nick's mom?

Pants
05-22-2005, 07:47 PM
The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

What did you expect from Nick's mom?

ROFL

I think people who have troubles with reading comprehension are the ones who enjoy Nick's work the most.

jspchief
05-22-2005, 07:50 PM
ROFL

I think people who have troubles with reading comprehension are the ones who enjoy Nick's work the most.When it comes to Nick's work, doesn't everyone have trouble comprehending?

Pants
05-22-2005, 07:56 PM
When it comes to Nick's work, doesn't everyone have trouble comprehending?

Well, the ones who usually have no trouble, start having hardships and are inclined to gouge their own eyes out. However, if you suck at reading, Nick's style is perfect for you - since he's saying nothing, you can make it out to be whatever you want it to be and enjoy it tremendoulsy.

TRR
05-22-2005, 07:59 PM
They beat Louisville and Texas with him. With him, they also lost to Northwestern and Purdue. Oh, and don't forget the loss to Michigan, who only won FOUR Big 10 games.

Make excuses all you want. The team was 4-8 in the Big 10 when he got busted. They lost barely to Minnesota and then won all four of their remaining regular season Big 10 games and also beat eventual Final Four participant Michigan State in the Big 10 tourney. Without him.

It's easy to see, some people just don't want to admit it.

Make what excuses? Iowa beat Louisville, Texas, UNI, Iowa State and Texas Tech with Pierce. Without him, they beat ONE team worth a sh*t, and that was Michigan State. I'm sorry, but if you watched the Iowa Vs Cincy game in round 1, and didn't think Iowa would have been better without an athlete like Pierce....your nuts.

I'll leave it at that.

the Talking Can
05-22-2005, 08:00 PM
So Athan haters flame away.

ok....Athan is the retarded son of a retard....it's possible he types his articles with his ball sack...

the Talking Can
05-22-2005, 08:05 PM
just so I understand the "inside scoop":

IF Law were to sign a dirt cheap deal the Chiefs would be interested....right?

um, besides being obvious what is the value of this "information"?

in other words, if Tyra Banks wanted to blow me for a nickle, I might be interested....according to my sources....

Alphaman
05-22-2005, 08:29 PM
where did I say anything about cutting Warfield. That was the whole point in bringing up Law in the first place, that Warfield didn't look good in practice

Fair enough. My apologies. I read your comments as saying Nick was being self serving by mentioning that Warfield looked bad last week and seperately saying that the Chiefs were still interested in Law. I drew the conclusion that you were alluding to Nick saying the Chiefs would bring in Law to replace Warfield.

Obviously, I read way too much into your statement. My apologies.

Alphaman
05-22-2005, 08:34 PM

Agree, that would be worthless news. However, what Nick said was that the Chiefs are still interested in Law at the right price. The right price does not necessarily mean dirt cheap or even league minimum. It means at a price that the Chiefs can afford in the cap. With the post June 1st release of Morton and possibly Woods, the Chiefs will have some cap space.

Is that news. Given that most people have said and believe that the Chiefs are no longer in the Law hunt, it would seem to be news. Other media sources have counted the Chiefs out of the Law derby and that was considered news.

Pants
05-22-2005, 08:35 PM
Agree, that would be worthless news. However, what Nick said was that the Chiefs are still interested in Law at the right price. The right price does not necessarily mean dirt cheap or even league minimum. It means at a price that the Chiefs can afford in the cap. With the post June 1st release of Morton and possibly Woods, the Chiefs will have some cap space.

Umm, the only way the Chiefs would be able to sign Law would be for dirt cheap.

Alphaman
05-22-2005, 08:37 PM
Umm, the only way the Chiefs would be able to sign Law would be for dirt cheap.

Fair enough. What are you calling dirt cheap?

Pants
05-22-2005, 08:38 PM
Fair enough. What are you calling dirt cheap?

>2 mil signing bonus with a 1 mil salary. :shrug:

the Talking Can
05-22-2005, 08:39 PM

sorry, but that is still a great big DUH.....the Chiefs are interested in a probowl CB who they have already had in for visits- if it's the right price!

man, only a source deep with the franchise could have figured that out.....you must like this guy:

http://www.johnedward.net/CAPTURNEW.jpg

Pants
05-22-2005, 08:41 PM
man, only a source deep with the franchise could have figured that out.....you must like this guy:

Hahahaha, that's good.

the Talking Can
05-22-2005, 08:41 PM
just for the record, if it weren't for Nick Athan and his sources we would all still be under the mistaken assumption that the Chiefs were interested in Ty Law AT THE WRONG PRICE....please go sign up for warpaint immediately....I implore you...

Alphaman
05-22-2005, 08:43 PM
>2 mil signing bonus with a 1 mil salary. :shrug:

OK. I think others would define dirt cheap a lot less than that. Given his injury and the possibility that he may not be 100% until sometime during the season, I think a year deal worth $1.5M plus some incentives is what he'll get from a contender: KC, Pittsburgh, NE. Detroit may pay more. However, I don't think he'll play for Detroit or Indy unless they offer a whole lot more. Why? Because the fake grass they play on will be a detriment to his injury, not a help.

Is that dirt cheap? I don't think so, especially if the incentives can get him up to $2.5M or $3M.

Pants
05-22-2005, 08:44 PM
OK. I think others would define dirt cheap a lot less than that. Given his injury and the possibility that he may not be 100% until sometime during the season, I think a year deal worth $1.5M plus some incentives is what he'll get from a contender: KC, Pittsburgh, NE. Detroit may pay more. However, I don't think he'll play for Detroit or Indy unless they offer a whole lot more. Why? Because the fake grass they play on will be a detriment to his injury, not a help.

Is that dirt cheap? I don't think so, especially if the incentives can get him up to $2.5M or $3M.

Umm, didn't NE offer him more? Around 4 mil?

Alphaman
05-22-2005, 08:45 PM
sorry, but that is still a great big DUH.....the Chiefs are interested in a probowl CB who they have already had in for visits- if it's the right price!

Like I said, most media reports are saying the Chiefs are no longer interested period. That in and of itself makes a contrary opinion relavent.

BTW, pardon my ignorance, but who is that guy in the picture?

Alphaman
05-22-2005, 08:46 PM

THIS offseason? I don't think so. In fact, I remember NE coming out saying they did not have an offer on the table for him.

Pants
05-22-2005, 08:47 PM
Like I said, most media reports are saying the Chiefs are no longer interested period. That in and of itself makes a contrary opinion relavent.

BTW, pardon my ignorance, but who is that guy in the picture?

No it doesn't. ANY TEAM IN THE NFL would be interested in Law for the right price. The stupid media has enough common sense to realize that Law won't sign for cheap. Obviously Nick doesn't posses that common sense.

Pants
05-22-2005, 08:48 PM
THIS offseason? I don't think so. In fact, I remember NE coming out saying they did not have an offer on the table for him.

You're thinking of Brown. Law left NE because he felt he was going to be underpaid.

Alphaman
05-22-2005, 08:50 PM
No it doesn't. ANY TEAM IN THE NFL would be interested in Law for the right price. The stupid media has enough common sense to realize that Law won't sign for cheap. Obviously Nick doesn't posses that common sense.

OK. We'll agree to disagree. I'm not so sure about the any team comment. The guy is around 32 and is coming off of an injury. Given the fact that numbers being thrown around him right now are a 1 year deal for about $1M, it is interesting that only about 6 teams have talked to him.

Pants
05-22-2005, 08:52 PM
OK. We'll agree to disagree. I'm not so sure about the any team comment. The guy is around 32 and is coming off of an injury. Given the fact that numbers being thrown around him right now are a 1 year deal for about $1M, it is interesting that only about 6 teams have talked to him.

I'll be happy to eat crow.

Alphaman
05-22-2005, 08:52 PM
You're thinking of Brown. Law left NE because he felt he was going to be underpaid.

Are you sure? Law didn't leave, he was cut.

Law was cut (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1999808)

Alphaman
05-22-2005, 08:54 PM
I'll be happy to eat crow.

It could be me who ends up eating crow. Law will have to prove he's 100% healthy before he gets a big multi-year deal. It's a pretty big risk that he'll reinjure the foot.

CoMoChief
05-22-2005, 09:03 PM
Anyway. The way it sounds, Warfield did not look very good the last three days, and there could be a renewed interest from the Chiefs in going after Law.... if the price is right.

Yeah, we could get every All-Pro player at their respected positions if the price is right. The problem is, Carl Peterson's right price is not the same as the other's right price.

I'm tired of these Ty Law threads. He's not coming to KC, He will not be back to his old self because he will not recover fully from that injury. It's one thing to be a 25-26 year old corner and try to come back, but this guy wants a shit ton of money for something that he's done in the past before a very serious foot injury.

What happens if he comes to KC and doesnt fully recover? He'll look like Bartee out on the field, and we dont need that. I would rather have someone that's good but not great, at a lesser cost.

As far as spending money goes, we dont have much to spend on. I think we will cut Morton, leaving some cap money on the table for us, but that should go to someone that can play, not someone who has yet to cut or run at full speed.

htismaqe
05-22-2005, 09:11 PM
Make what excuses? Iowa beat Louisville, Texas, UNI, Iowa State and Texas Tech with Pierce. Without him, they beat ONE team worth a sh*t, and that was Michigan State. I'm sorry, but if you watched the Iowa Vs Cincy game in round 1, and didn't think Iowa would have been better without an athlete like Pierce....your nuts.

I'll leave it at that.

Pierre Pierce wouldn't have changed the outcome of the Cinci game. In fact, his ability to throw up horrible shots and single-handedly throw away games would have probably made it worse. If I have time, I'll find the TO's per game stat. Pierce accounted for nearly 50% of the team's total turnovers.

I'll leave it at that.

TRR
05-22-2005, 09:15 PM
The only person that said Warfield looked bad was Nick Athan. Now, until I hear Vermeil or Cunningham say it, then it will mean something. Athan telling me Warfield looked bad in OTA's (Come on...OTA's...) is like Ron Jeremy telling people to get in shape.

TRR
05-22-2005, 09:16 PM
Pierre Pierce wouldn't have changed the outcome of the Cinci game. In fact, his ability to throw up horrible shots and single-handedly throw away games would have probably made it worse. If I have time, I'll find the TO's per game stat. Pierce accounted for nearly 50% of the team's total turnovers.

I'll leave it at that.

ROFL ROFL ...Yeah we will definitely leave it at that. ROFL ROFL

4.2 assists per game and 4.2 TO's per game. Pretty much equal out don't they. By the way...Those bad shots led to a 48% FG percentage...Second highest on the entire team.

alanm
05-22-2005, 09:27 PM

in other words, if Tyra Banks wanted to blow me for a nickle, I might be interested....according to my sources....
If Tyra Banks wanted to blow me for a dollar. I'd go so far as to search through the couch cushions. :)

tk13
05-22-2005, 09:31 PM
New England offered him 4 years, $26 million if I'm not mistaken.

Alphaman
05-22-2005, 09:56 PM
New England offered him 4 years, $26 million if I'm not mistaken.

NE came out and said that they didn't have an offer on the table for him. That rumor was started by the agent.

jspchief
05-22-2005, 10:00 PM
New England offered him 4 years, $26 million if I'm not mistaken.As far as I know, the last contract offer NE made to Law was last off-season, trying to get him signed before his contract was up. I don't think they have pursued him in the slightest this year. I think it was a combination of the injury and the money that made them decide to cut bait.

Alphaman
05-22-2005, 11:01 PM
-- Lions Won't Sign Law for Big Money --
Sun May 22, 2005 --from FFMastermind.com

The Oakland Press reports Tom Lewand, the Detroit Lions' executive vice president in charge of juggling the salary cap, will not sign ex-Patriots CB Ty Law to a cap busting deal. The Lions are fairly stocked at cornerback, and Law is recovering from a broken foot. Law, 31, cannot command the near-$10 million figure he expected to make in New England this season. The Jets, considered the favorite to sign Law, can back off now that CB Donnie Abraham decided not to retire. Miami and Indianapolis also are in the running for Law. But if the Dolphins lure RB Ricky Williams there won't be much left for Law. If the market forces Law to reduce his asking price, then the Lions may be interested.

Does this diminish Nick's claim or help it.

Here's a thought. If Law gets a big contract it will be by from....the Raiders. If they have the opportunity to get him, they'll give Woodson a long term deal to clear space to get him.

WilliamTheIrish
05-22-2005, 11:02 PM
Warfield didn't look good - get this- during the 3 day OTA? Sparking a renewed interest in Ty Law?

AND there was an actual photo in the KC Star of Bartee making his first ever interception in -get this- the 3 day OTA camp. That killed our interest in signing the ghost of Johnny Robinson.

Coogs
05-23-2005, 09:13 AM
The only person that said Warfield looked bad was Nick Athan. Now, until I hear Vermeil or Cunningham say it, then it will mean something. Athan telling me Warfield looked bad in OTA's.

I don't see anything wrong with this. Remember, you are going to go to training camp. And, hopefully, you will report what "you" see. I'll probably read that with interest too, instead of totally dismissing it. (Unless it relates to Fujita and Mitchell. :p )

Chiefnj
05-23-2005, 09:26 AM
-- Lions Won't Sign Law for Big Money --
Sun May 22, 2005 --from FFMastermind.com

The Oakland Press reports Tom Lewand, the Detroit Lions' executive vice president in charge of juggling the salary cap, will not sign ex-Patriots CB Ty Law to a cap busting deal. The Lions are fairly stocked at cornerback, and Law is recovering from a broken foot. Law, 31, cannot command the near-$10 million figure he expected to make in New England this season. The Jets, considered the favorite to sign Law, can back off now that CB Donnie Abraham decided not to retire. Miami and Indianapolis also are in the running for Law. But if the Dolphins lure RB Ricky Williams there won't be much left for Law. If the market forces Law to reduce his asking price, then the Lions may be interested.

Does this diminish Nick's claim or help it.

Here's a thought. If Law gets a big contract it will be by from....the Raiders. If they have the opportunity to get him, they'll give Woodson a long term deal to clear space to get him.

A 3rd grader could have made "Nick's claim"; if the price is right the Chiefs are still interested in Law. Nostradamus must be worried that he'll be moved to #2 on the all time prognosticar list. Who else would have thought that the team with the worst pass defense the last few years would have an interest in a Pro Bowl cornerback if "the price is right"? I'm glad people have sources and inside information to make such a bold prediction.

htismaqe
05-23-2005, 09:32 AM
ROFL ROFL ...Yeah we will definitely leave it at that. ROFL ROFL

4.2 assists per game and 4.2 TO's per game. Pretty much equal out don't they. By the way...Those bad shots led to a 48% FG percentage...Second highest on the entire team.

Look, you obviously like Pierre Pierce. I don't. I'll admit it. I don't like the kind of game he plays. To me, guys like him are everything that's wrong with modern basketball.

You are correct, Pierce is a heck of an individual player, gifted in fact. But that doesn't mean the team is BETTER with him on the court. Sure, those teams they beat at the end of the season may have been "nobody's" but it doesn't defeat the facts.

Without Pierce, they went 5-2 against Wisconsin, Michigan State, Purdue, Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State.

With Pierce, against that same field, they went 1-5.

shaneo69
05-23-2005, 09:56 AM

Has any other media member backed up the claim about Warfield looking bad during the OTA's?

Or did Athan just bring this up or make this up because he's trying to keep the Ty Law dream alive?

I imagine Athan's on the show to boost ratings. Best way to boost ratings is with rumors. With the draft and main free agency period over, the last remaining rumor is the Ty Law pipe dream. Best way to substantiate that rumor is by "breaking the news" that Warfield struggled and now the Chiefs are seriously thinking about revisiting the Ty Law situation.

Coogs
05-23-2005, 10:05 AM
Has any other media member backed up the claim about Warfield looking bad during the OTA's?

Not that I know of, but then how much does this media ever tell us. And the only questions they ever ask at interviews is the same old dumb questions. None of them would ever ask.... "DV, it looked like Warfield was struggling all three days. Could you comment on that please?"