PDA

View Full Version : I'm starting to think FF: Who's your 2005 Top 10 picks?

jAZ
05-20-2005, 12:28 AM
I'm thinking Priest will slide a few spots again this year and I kinda think he might once again prove himself the best FF RB in the league.

jAZ
05-20-2005, 12:30 AM
My Top 10?

1) Rich Scanlon
2) Rich Scanlon
3) Rich Scanlon
4) Rich Scanlon
5) Rich Scanlon
6) Rich Scanlon
7) Rich Scanlon
8) Rich Scanlon
9) Rich Scanlon
10) Rich Scanlon

Mile High Mania
05-20-2005, 07:11 AM
It's never ... NEVER too early to start talking fantasy football!

If you're talking about a normal scoring league, then the Top 10 would look something like:

1- Tomlinson
2- Holmes
3- Manning
4- Alexander
5- Tiki Barber
6- Ederrin James
7- Ahman Green
8- Corey Dillon
9- Willis McGahee
10- Jamal Lewis

Right now, there are a lot of questions that surround the picks that might fall from #7 overall to #15 overall. This is generally where we've see guys like McNabb and Culpepper fall, but do they go this high in 2005? As of right now, maybe not, but in August it will likely be a different story.

You have some RBs ... McGahee, Lewis, Portis, Johnson, J Jones, K Jones and D Davis that are going to flucuate a bit in that late first early 2nd area.

Also, right around #10 or 11 is where receivers like Moss, Harrison, Owens and Holt start being considered.

I still think in the top 10 overall, you're looking at 8 or 9 RBs. It's just that the final 3 of those top 8 or 9 will move a bit over the next few months. Overall, I think it's a really deep year for RBs - one of the best in a long time.

Count the rookies and several others like Bell and Jackson, and you're going to have some nice picks in Rounds 3 and 4.

Ari Chi3fs
05-20-2005, 07:24 AM
Whoever has the first pick overall would be an idiot not to pick Jake Plummer...

KChiefs1
05-20-2005, 07:41 AM
1. Maurice Clarett

Simplex3
05-20-2005, 07:57 AM
I couldn't disagree more with Willis McGahee. He'll be playing with Lossman who is essentially a rookie and I don't think was ever that good to begin with.

Mile High Mania
05-20-2005, 08:20 AM
I couldn't disagree more with Willis McGahee. He'll be playing with Lossman who is essentially a rookie and I don't think was ever that good to begin with.

That's the beauty of fantasy football ... the debates. McGahee has all the tools to be a top RB. Look at what Rudi did with Palmer last year and Palmer was essentially "a rookie". Look at Barber with Manning. Lewis with Boller a few years back.

I think it's because Lossman is so inexperienced that McGahee will be used more and they have a decent Oline going into 2005.

Last season, McGahee had 1,128 yards and 13 TDs. Seven 100 yard games. The bills will be sporadic, there's no doubt, but I think McGahee will definitely be a top 10 fantasy RB when it's all said and done. I might have ranked him a couple of slots high here, but by the time August hits, I think McGahee will be among the consensus top 10 RBs selected in fantasy drafts.

ct
05-20-2005, 08:52 AM
1. Tomlinson
2. Priest
3. Alexander (but this could change pending contract situation)
4. Peyton
5. McGahee
6. Edge
7. McAllister
8. Jamal Lewis
9. Culpepper
10. Julius Jones

Mile High Mania
05-20-2005, 08:59 AM
1. Tomlinson
2. Priest
3. Alexander (but this could change pending contract situation)
4. Peyton
5. McGahee
6. Edge
7. McAllister
8. Jamal Lewis
9. Culpepper
10. Julius Jones

Not a bad list... I'm curious to see how the camps go with Williamson and Culpepper. I think he'll have a fine season, despite not having Moss. I really like Burleson.

As for McAllister... I want to see how things settle in N'Awlins. I might have him as my 10th or 11th RB behind K Jones, J Jones and D Davis this year.

Also - nothing against him being a Chief, but drafting Holmes would scare the hell out of me. I'll try to draft LJ as a #3 or #4 option though. I just fear the injury with Priest.

BigRedChief
05-20-2005, 09:45 AM
Not a bad list... I'm curious to see how the camps go with Williamson and Culpepper. I think he'll have a fine season, despite not having Moss. I really like Burleson.

As for McAllister... I want to see how things settle in N'Awlins. I might have him as my 10th or 11th RB behind K Jones, J Jones and D Davis this year.

Also - nothing against him being a Chief, but drafting Holmes would scare the hell out of me. I'll try to draft LJ as a #3 or #4 option though. I just fear the injury with Priest.
Barber at #5?:shake: What are you thinking Mile High? And can I get in your FF pool?:p

ct
05-20-2005, 09:59 AM

Duece and JJ are the iffy top10 picks in my list, imo. Alexander also, but for other reasons.

Personally I have little faith at this point in KJ or DoubleD. I would LOVE to get ahold of either of them as a RB2, but would be extremely nervous as #1(I play in a 12 team league).

I do think that TO and Moss deserve consideration at least, at the end of the top10, but they are both punk-azz biatches, so I'll let some other chump deal with that headache. I'll be perfecty happy with Marvin or Holt as my WR1.

Mile High Mania
05-20-2005, 10:01 AM
Barber at #5?:shake: What are you thinking Jaz? And can I get in your FF pool?:p

Well, I'm not Jaz... but, Barber has proven to be a nice dual threat and steady RB.

Through the last 3 seasons, he's had no less than 1,200 yards rushing and 460 yards receiving each season.

16 | 303 1386 4.6 11 | 69 597 8.7 0
16 | 278 1216 4.4 2 | 69 461 6.7 1
16 | 322 1518 4.7 13 | 52 578 11.1 2

His TDs were off badly in 2003 (3 total), but he had 15 combined in 2004 and 11 in 2002. He has carried the ball more than 300 times twice and has caught 50+ passes in each of the last 3 seasons.

That's greatness from your RB and Coughlin loves hammering Tiki. Manning is young and while he now has Plaxico to go with what they hope to be an improved year from Shockey, Barber will again be asked to be the force that opens up the passing game.

He may not go 5th overall, but I'm willing to bet that his average fantasy draft position is between #5 and #7 overall. Tiki is entering his 9th season this year and has really grown to be a model of consistency and production.

I may not take him ahead of Holmes, LT, Edge or Alexander... but, after that he's likely the next on my list. I'll take him ahead of McAllister, Lewis, Green, Portis, J Jones, K Jones and guys like that.

I would have a tough decision between Barber and McGahee.

ChiefFripp
05-20-2005, 10:03 AM
1)Priest
2)Tomlinson
3)Manning
4)T.O.
5)Moss
6)Gonzalez
7)KC's Defense(not kidding)
8)Ed Reed
9)Antonio Gates
10) Trent Green

If I end up with 3 of the above listed choices, I will be happy.

Mile High Mania
05-20-2005, 10:10 AM
Duece and JJ are the iffy top10 picks in my list, imo. Alexander also, but for other reasons.

Personally I have little faith at this point in KJ or DoubleD. I would LOVE to get ahold of either of them as a RB2, but would be extremely nervous as #1(I play in a 12 team league).

I do think that TO and Moss deserve consideration at least, at the end of the top10, but they are both punk-azz biatches, so I'll let some other chump deal with that headache. I'll be perfecty happy with Marvin or Holt as my WR1.

I agree on JJ and McAlister. I think Kevin Jones is in a great offense that will allow him to be a force if he remains healthy, but overall they are very young.

I like Domanick Davis. He is entering his 3rd season and is on a young team as well. While he hasn't topped that 1,200 yard rushing mark, he's shown flashes of greatness. Last year, he had 14 TDs and a combined 1,700+ yards (almost 600 receiving. The kick on him last season was that he didn't break 100 yards rushing until week 12 and that's not good for a #1 or #2 fantasy RB. He also only totaled 3 TDs through 8 games, but as of week 9, he scored a TD every week through the end of the season (2 each in weeks 9 and 10).

I think as that team matures, he will too and they love to run the ball down your throat. So, I think he has nice value as a #2 RB and could easily finish in the top 10 or 12 overall.

Regarding receivers, my thought is that Moss, TO, Harrison and Holt are really the only guys worthy of a top 15 selection and quite honestly, I'll pass in favor of a top RB. There are a slew of receivers that can potentially reach their level - Wayne, Walker, C Johnson, J Horn, I Bruce, D Driver, Burleson and several others. So, I'll grab a top QB and a couple of RBs (possibly) then go crazy with WRs in in Rounds 3-5.

It all depends on who is on my "must have" list and how the draft flows.

Mile High Mania
05-20-2005, 10:13 AM
1)Priest
2)Tomlinson
3)Manning
4)T.O.
5)Moss
6)Gonzalez
7)KC's Defense(not kidding)
8)Ed Reed
9)Antonio Gates
10) Trent Green

If I end up with 3 of the above listed choices, I will be happy.

We might have a spot for you in one of our leagues. I don't care what kind of league you play in, but if you're referring to the KC defense as the "combined" defense/special teams... there's no real reason to draft any defense before you at minimum have your starting roster filled and all of your RB depth secured.

I draft defense last and every year, whether it's due to FA pickup or whatever, I end up with a defense ranked in the top 5. Same for Kickers. My final picks, aside from maybe my 5th or 6th receiver (again, depends on the flow of the draft) I always pick Kickers and defense last.

BigRedChief
05-20-2005, 10:13 AM
I may not take him ahead of Holmes, LT, Edge or Alexander... but, after that he's likely the next on my list. I'll take him ahead of McAllister, Lewis, Green, Portis, J Jones, K Jones and guys like that.

I would have a tough decision between Barber and McGahee.

I agree that he is usually undervalued on most boards but right there on your list is 4 guys ahead of him before you take a QB or WR.

He doesn't make my top ten. But WTF do I know? :)

Mile High Mania
05-20-2005, 10:18 AM
I agree that he is usually undervalued on most boards but right there on your list is 4 guys ahead of him before you take a QB or WR.

He doesn't make my top ten. But WTF do I know? :)

Are you referring to my first post? I had Manning prior to Barber. I likely won't take any WR prior to Barber. Top RBs are just too important.

Nzoner
05-20-2005, 10:35 AM
Nowhere near a top 10 pick but I'm curious to see how Warner does with those young receivers in Zona.

BigRedChief
05-20-2005, 10:40 AM
Are you referring to my first post? I had Manning prior to Barber. I likely won't take any WR prior to Barber. Top RBs are just too important.

Most drafts allow you to pick who ever you want whenever you want. They just limit you on how many running backs, quarterbacks etc that can be on the team. When I do a draft I take the best players period and create a list. And just work down the list as it goes along. So the way I do it you have barber as #5. thats all. no biggie.

ct
05-20-2005, 10:43 AM
I agree on JJ and McAlister. I think Kevin Jones is in a great offense that will allow him to be a force if he remains healthy, but overall they are very young.

I like Domanick Davis. He is entering his 3rd season and is on a young team as well. While he hasn't topped that 1,200 yard rushing mark, he's shown flashes of greatness. Last year, he had 14 TDs and a combined 1,700+ yards (almost 600 receiving. The kick on him last season was that he didn't break 100 yards rushing until week 12 and that's not good for a #1 or #2 fantasy RB. He also only totaled 3 TDs through 8 games, but as of week 9, he scored a TD every week through the end of the season (2 each in weeks 9 and 10).

I think as that team matures, he will too and they love to run the ball down your throat. So, I think he has nice value as a #2 RB and could easily finish in the top 10 or 12 overall.

Regarding receivers, my thought is that Moss, TO, Harrison and Holt are really the only guys worthy of a top 15 selection and quite honestly, I'll pass in favor of a top RB. There are a slew of receivers that can potentially reach their level - Wayne, Walker, C Johnson, J Horn, I Bruce, D Driver, Burleson and several others. So, I'll grab a top QB and a couple of RBs (possibly) then go crazy with WRs in in Rounds 3-5.

It all depends on who is on my "must have" list and how the draft flows.

You said it all right there. DoubleD is a very nice RB2, and I sure as he!! don't put a RB2 in the top10.

Regarding your take on the top WRs, I absolutely agree!! I always have the top tier of WRs much lower than the rest of the teams, so if they do happen to be best available with good value, I'll take em, like Harrison fell in my lap last year in the 3rd round. But typically most others will take that top WR too early, IMO, and I'm happy to add a solid RB3 while they are left with the William Greens or Maurice Claretts of the world as thier RB3, while my WR1 is about 2-3 pts/gm lower than theirs.

BigRedChief
05-20-2005, 10:47 AM
SI's breakout players for 2005:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/2005/05/19/nfl/content.1.html

Mile High Mania
05-20-2005, 11:01 AM
Most drafts allow you to pick who ever you want whenever you want. They just limit you on how many running backs, quarterbacks etc that can be on the team. When I do a draft I take the best players period and create a list. And just work down the list as it goes along. So the way I do it you have barber as #5. thats all. no biggie.

Right ... this guy asked for the top 10 overall as of today, and so that's what I rolled with on my list. It will likely change 43 times between now and the fantasy draft in August. :)

Mile High Mania
05-20-2005, 11:03 AM
But typically most others will take that top WR too early, IMO, and I'm happy to add a solid RB3 while they are left with the William Greens or Maurice Claretts of the world as thier RB3, while my WR1 is about 2-3 pts/gm lower than theirs.

I agree 100% with this thought process.

ct
05-20-2005, 11:11 AM
SI's breakout players for 2005:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/2005/05/19/nfl/content.1.html

Steven Jackson - somewhat agree, but not quite star worthy yet
Randle-El - disagree, he's had opportunities to break out already, and has not proven worthy of more than slot WR duties.
Lamont Jordan - agree, unfortunately...
Lee Evans - agree, kid is gonna be big-time in the next couple years.
Juluis Jones - agree, this guy has stud RB written all over him!
Keary Colbert - disagree, not ready yet.
Kevin Jones - somewhat agree, has the talent, but need to see him stay healthy first.
Jeb Putzier - huh?
Nate Burleson - agree, but there is big bust potential here! I'll downgrade him somewhat personally.
JP Losman - strongly disagree, 1st year starter? I don't think so!
Doug Jolley - agree, already displayed he's a solid receiving TE, and now he'll get 2x as many balls thrown his way in Jersey.
Tyrone Calico - disagree, until this kid can stay on the field for 2 games in a row, he's off my board entirely.
DeShaun Foster - agree, but big injury risk too. Downgrade accordingly.
Drew Bennett - agree, big burn potential with him, but I think he's for real.
Kevin Curtis - well, how much can a #3 slot receiver really break out? Hakim has some great games back in the day in that role, but nothing to rely on week to week means No Thanks for me.

Mile High Mania
05-20-2005, 11:40 AM
My comments are from a fantasy perspective...

Steven Jackson - I don't trust Martz, sure SJ is the starter but how often will Faulk play, they can't just not use him. That said, Jackson should top 1,000 yards rushing.
Randle-El - Not sold that this guy is going to be a solid #3, but we'll see. Take a 10th round flier on the guy.
Lamont Jordan - Jordan is under Norv Turner, he should rock.
Lee Evans - Lossman will struggle early, but Evans could be a good #3 by midseason.
Juluis Jones - Barring injury, this guy should freaking explode.
Keary Colbert - Depends on how well Smith plays, but if Steve Smith is back and on fire, Colbert will do very well.
Kevin Jones - He has a ton of potential in that offense, but they are very young. Should top 1,100 yards.
Jeb Putzier - I dunno. Putz needs better consistency, but could be a 800 yard- 6 TD performer.
Nate Burleson - He'll be the #1 guy out of the gate which will be new to him and he won't have Moss taking the top defender. There will be some struggles, but he has big play potential and should be a strong #2.
JP Losman - I'd walk from this guy, maybe a #3 QB on your bench for giggles, but he will struggle and likely have little fantasy value. Keeper value is undetermined.
Doug Jolley - I'm cautiously optimisitc with Jolley, but other than a TE league, he won't be highly considered. The Jets were more of a rushing offense last season. I think he is a strong sleeper.
Tyrone Calico - He was my sleeper receiver pick last year, but injuries hurt him. Mason is gone and Bennett needs him to play big.
DeShaun Foster - 3rd year guy coming off injury, but as long as he's healthy and keeps Davis at a good distance, he has the tools to do really well.
Drew Bennett - I wouldn't expect a repeat of 2004. Drew snuck up on teams, but he is still a strong #3 fantasy receiver.
Kevin Curtis - I dunno about this guy. Martz has a knack for getting his top 2 receivers a lot of action, and then it's randomly thrown out from that point. Curtis might be a 35 catch - 450 yard - 4 TD player in 2005.

ct
05-20-2005, 12:40 PM
My comments are from a fantasy perspective...

Steven Jackson - I don't trust Martz, sure SJ is the starter but how often will Faulk play, they can't just not use him. That said, Jackson should top 1,000 yards rushing.
Randle-El - Not sold that this guy is going to be a solid #3, but we'll see. Take a 10th round flier on the guy.
Lamont Jordan - Jordan is under Norv Turner, he should rock.
Lee Evans - Lossman will struggle early, but Evans could be a good #3 by midseason.
Juluis Jones - Barring injury, this guy should freaking explode.
Keary Colbert - Depends on how well Smith plays, but if Steve Smith is back and on fire, Colbert will do very well.
Kevin Jones - He has a ton of potential in that offense, but they are very young. Should top 1,100 yards.
Jeb Putzier - I dunno. Putz needs better consistency, but could be a 800 yard- 6 TD performer.
Nate Burleson - He'll be the #1 guy out of the gate which will be new to him and he won't have Moss taking the top defender. There will be some struggles, but he has big play potential and should be a strong #2.
JP Losman - I'd walk from this guy, maybe a #3 QB on your bench for giggles, but he will struggle and likely have little fantasy value. Keeper value is undetermined.
Doug Jolley - I'm cautiously optimisitc with Jolley, but other than a TE league, he won't be highly considered. The Jets were more of a rushing offense last season. I think he is a strong sleeper.
Tyrone Calico - He was my sleeper receiver pick last year, but injuries hurt him. Mason is gone and Bennett needs him to play big.
DeShaun Foster - 3rd year guy coming off injury, but as long as he's healthy and keeps Davis at a good distance, he has the tools to do really well.
Drew Bennett - I wouldn't expect a repeat of 2004. Drew snuck up on teams, but he is still a strong #3 fantasy receiver.
Kevin Curtis - I dunno about this guy. Martz has a knack for getting his top 2 receivers a lot of action, and then it's randomly thrown out from that point. Curtis might be a 35 catch - 450 yard - 4 TD player in 2005.

Geez am I glad we don't compete in the same league! You and I would be in a total dogfight for the same players 9 of 10 picks!!

Although, I would love that cmpetition!! Would be hella fun!

Hoover
05-20-2005, 12:42 PM
Hoover's Top 10.

1. Peyton Manning
2. LT
3. Shawn Alexander
4. McNabb
5. P. Holmes
6. D. Culpepper
7. T. Owens
8. R. Moss
9. D. McCallaster
10. W. McGahee

There are some few RBs that are worth a Number 1 pick IMO, I think its a better choice to go after one of the top 4 QBs, Trent Green would be 11 bty.

Mile High Mania
05-20-2005, 12:56 PM
Hoover's Top 10.

1. Peyton Manning
2. LT
3. Shawn Alexander
4. McNabb
5. P. Holmes
6. D. Culpepper
7. T. Owens
8. R. Moss
9. D. McCallaster
10. W. McGahee

There are some few RBs that are worth a Number 1 pick IMO, I think its a better choice to go after one of the top 4 QBs, Trent Green would be 11 bty.

I'm a junkie - I admit it with a smile. :p I love reading various rankings and thoughts on players.

I would love being in league where only 5 RBs went in the first 10. QBs must score really high in your league, Hoover. I just can't see McNabb at #4 overall or 3 QBs in the top 6 picks. Not saying it's wrong by any means, there's no science to fantasy football.

I would just rather take a QB in R3 - like a Brady, Delhomme or Green. There are always strong QBs in rounds 3 through 5. Hell, I've picked Brady in R5 the last two seasons.

I do have Manning and will be keeping him this year...

Hydrae
05-20-2005, 01:12 PM
Good read.

So, since we are on the subject, any thoughts on which two I should keep for this year?

DE Freeney, Dwight
QB Pennington, Chad
RB Suggs, Lee
RB James, Edgerrin
WR Brown, Troy F.
WR Muhammad, Muhsin
WR Horn, Joe
WR Clayton, Michael
TE McMichael, Randy
PK Brown, Kris
LB Suggs, Terrell
CB Bailey, Champ

Mile High Mania
05-20-2005, 01:17 PM
Good read.

So, since we are on the subject, any thoughts on which two I should keep for this year?

DE Freeney, Dwight
QB Pennington, Chad
RB Suggs, Lee
RB James, Edgerrin
WR Brown, Troy F.
WR Muhammad, Muhsin
WR Horn, Joe
WR Clayton, Michael
TE McMichael, Randy
PK Brown, Kris
LB Suggs, Terrell
CB Bailey, Champ

Hmmm... depending on who else is availalbe, I likely would not keep Pennington. Same for Lee Suggs, Troy Brown, McMichael and Muhsin. I see Muhsin having a sort of average year, nothing keeper worthy.

I think I would likely keep Edge... and possibly Horn. Horn isn't usually considered a keeper, but he's damn consistent. I am entertaining the notion of keeping him as well. I also have Muhsin and I am not keeping him now that he is a Bear.

It depends on the # of teams in your league, the other players that are kept - thereby limiting the star power available in that pool and where you actually will pick in the first few rounds.

I don't know about keeping Freeney or Bailey, although both should do really well.

Duck Dog
05-20-2005, 01:30 PM
My Top 5 per position

QB's

1. Manning
2. Mcnabb
3. Green
4. Bulger
5. Delhomme

RB's

1.Tomlinson
2. Holmes
3. Alexander
4. McGahee
5. Portis

WR's

1. Owens
2. Harrison
3. Holt
4. Moss
5. Walker

TE's

1. Gates
2. Gonzalez
3. Crumpler
4. Whitten
5. Heap

DEF's

1. Baltimore
2. NE
3. Pittsburgh
4. Carolina
5. Philadelphia

Drafting one of these players from each group really is FF. :drool:

Hydrae
05-20-2005, 01:58 PM
Hmmm... depending on who else is availalbe, I likely would not keep Pennington. Same for Lee Suggs, Troy Brown, McMichael and Muhsin. I see Muhsin having a sort of average year, nothing keeper worthy.

I think I would likely keep Edge... and possibly Horn. Horn isn't usually considered a keeper, but he's damn consistent. I am entertaining the notion of keeping him as well. I also have Muhsin and I am not keeping him now that he is a Bear.

It depends on the # of teams in your league, the other players that are kept - thereby limiting the star power available in that pool and where you actually will pick in the first few rounds.

I don't know about keeping Freeney or Bailey, although both should do really well.

I just realized that is an abbreviated roster list. That was my starters Week 17 for the super bowl (which I lost, draft 11th this year). Here is a complete list (it was having Trent missing that clued me back in):

DE Freeney, Dwight IND
QB Green, Trent KC
QB Pennington, Chad NYJ
RB Blaylock, Derrick NYJ
RB James, Edgerrin IND
RB Brown, Chris R. TEN
RB Suggs, Lee CLE
WR Clayton, Michael TB
WR Morton, Johnnie KC
WR Muhammad, Muhsin CHI
WR Horn, Joe NO
WR Brown, Troy F. FA
TE McMichael, Randy MIA
PK Brown, Kris HOU
LB Suggs, Terrell BAL
CB Bailey, Champ DEN
S Archuleta, Adam STL
S Dawkins, Brian PHI

Hydrae
05-20-2005, 02:01 PM
I just realized that is an abbreviated roster list. That was my starters Week 17 for the super bowl (which I lost, draft 11th this year). Here is a complete list (it was having Trent missing that clued me back in):

DE Freeney, Dwight IND
QB Green, Trent KC
QB Pennington, Chad NYJ
RB Blaylock, Derrick NYJ
RB James, Edgerrin IND
RB Brown, Chris R. TEN
RB Suggs, Lee CLE
WR Clayton, Michael TB
WR Morton, Johnnie KC
WR Muhammad, Muhsin CHI
WR Horn, Joe NO
WR Brown, Troy F. FA
TE McMichael, Randy MIA
PK Brown, Kris HOU
LB Suggs, Terrell BAL
CB Bailey, Champ DEN
S Archuleta, Adam STL
S Dawkins, Brian PHI

I expect to probably keep Edge. Then comes the hard part. Trent, CBrown, Horn or maybe even Clayton (that is why I traded for him mid-season, with the thought of keeping him). The only other one I would even consider would be Freeney but I really don't want to keep a defender.

Mile High Mania
05-20-2005, 02:37 PM
I'd still lean towards just Edge.

You can get Green or a very comparable QB in R3-5. I really like Clayton, as I had last year as well.

Again, I think I would likely just keep Edge based on my earlier comments and hope that Horn, Green and Clayton fall back to you in rounds 3-5. Tough to get back all 3, but I like your chances of getting similar talent.

Hoover
05-20-2005, 04:47 PM
I'm a junkie - I admit it with a smile. :p I love reading various rankings and thoughts on players.

I would love being in league where only 5 RBs went in the first 10. QBs must score really high in your league, Hoover. I just can't see McNabb at #4 overall or 3 QBs in the top 6 picks. Not saying it's wrong by any means, there's no science to fantasy football.

I would just rather take a QB in R3 - like a Brady, Delhomme or Green. There are always strong QBs in rounds 3 through 5. Hell, I've picked Brady in R5 the last two seasons.

I do have Manning and will be keeping him this year...
To me its all about points at the end of it. Your first round pick should be all about points.

IMO there are only a few top RB that get a bunch of tds. Thats why after LT, Alexander and Holmes I go QB, and after that, I go WR.

After the top Running backs, the rest are all the same.

Mile High Mania
05-20-2005, 05:02 PM
To me its all about points at the end of it. Your first round pick should be all about points.

IMO there are only a few top RB that get a bunch of tds. Thats why after LT, Alexander and Holmes I go QB, and after that, I go WR.

That's not a bad way of looking at the draft. I feel your first 3, maybe 4 picks have to be strong "hits". You simply can't reach in the first few rounds, as this is where you try to land that #1 QB, RB, WR and possibly one other WR or RB.

There's a definite drop off with each position, I usually Tier each prior to the draft into 1, 2, 3 and 4th tiers. Very similar to that idea of Value Based Drafting.

It's hard to justify taking a 2nd tier RB over a guy like Holt or Harrison if he's there. The thing with WRs though, is you have your top 4 that always seem to rock - TO, Moss, Holt and Harrison. After those 4, there's anywhere from 5-8 other guys (C Johnson, Wayne, Walker, etc) that get really close to their production.

I like solidifying my top 2 RBs and top WR prior to going QB, despite passing on guys like Manning, McNabb, Culpepper and 2-3 others. A guy like Brady, Green or Delhomme consistently "average" about 5-8 less points than your top elite QBs.

So, if I can get two quality RBs and a great WR ... I think that more than balances out the handful of points I sacrifice by passing on a top QB.

I reach a time or two in rounds 5-9, then fill out my depth spots, kickers and defense in the final rounds.

It's just all about doing your homework and ranking your board accordingly. There's no proven approach. Hell, I won one of my leagues last year and it damn sure wasn't due to my draft.

I drafted well, but I wound up doing 6 trades (yes, I have a problem) and acquired guys that rocked. Manning, Martin, Horn, Muhsin... all guys that I traded 2 or 3 players for in combo deals for each.

I watch that waiver wire closely, and try to pick up guys like Clayton (last year) before they become a name. I like collecting a lot of "B talent" and then finding that owner that has serious holes, but has that coveted "A Player" I need.

I love that aspect of fantasy football. I must have had 17 RBs, 20 receivers and roughly 8 QBs flow through my team last season before I finally settled it down.

Rausch
05-20-2005, 05:40 PM
I'd still take Priest as my no 1 back. Not only is he by far the best fantasy back IF healthy, but he's got a proven back up that can also produce that you could probably get in the late rounds.

In no order:

Manning
Holmes
Tomlinson
Harrison
McAlister
Gonzo (there are only 3 legit TE's out there, then a HUGE dropoff)
Shaun Alexander
Javon Walker (GB)
Antonio Gates

Rausch
05-20-2005, 05:47 PM

I think this is a really weak year for QB's. Manning is the only sure-fire lock as a stud QB. After that there isn't much:

Favre - Old and 1/2 the fantasy player he once was.
Plummer - Good yardage but no TD's and too many Int's.
Green - again, good yards but not enough TD's, and QB rating doesn't score pts.
Bledsoe - Yeah, right.
Brady - Great QB not the fantasy producer you'd expect.
Culpepper - solid last year but what will "no-Moss" do to him?
McNabb - Same as Crotchpepper, will TO be there? No TO = average QB value.
Bulger - a streaky QB. I'm just not sold on that Rams situation.

Manning is the only lock at QB with no serious question marks. There are a TON of solid fantasy RB's out there this year and I think in any draft quality backs will fall due to unsure situation of QB's and WR's...

Mile High Mania
05-20-2005, 05:54 PM
Plummer - Good yardage but no TD's and too many Int's.

:hmmm: Plummer had 27 passing TDs and 1 rushing in 2004. Actually, didn't do too badly a lot of weeks for fantasy teams.

DTLB58
05-21-2005, 01:10 PM
Anyone want to give me their two cents on Brees? Was he a one year wonder? I went into last year with Hasselbeck as my #1 QB and picked up Brees about half way thru the season. I have pretty much given up on Hasselbeck, his wr's are just to inconsistent. So is Brees a #1 QB in a 8 team league?

Mile High Mania
05-21-2005, 02:07 PM
Jury is still out on Brees, at least with me it's still out. I want to see how he responds to the success he had on the field in 2004. Was it finally just finding his groove or the fact that Rivers was jockeying for his job?

I think he can have similar success, but he'll need more than just Gates to step up on the receiving end of the puzzle.

I think Brees will be a round 4-5 draft pick in most leagues. I'm not going to buy into the 1 year hype just yet.

Today, I would likely rank the QBs as follows for 2005 in fantasy football:

Manning
Culpepper
McNabb
Bulger
Green
Brady
Favre
Collins
-----
Hasselbeck
Delhomme
Carr
Brees
Plummer
Brooks
Vick
Palmer
Leftwich
Pennington

Ok, that is enough for now... granted, this isn't any sort of statistical breakdown here, this list is more "top of mind" for the time being.

I think Brees is going to be the 10th or 11th rated fantasy QB this season. Then again, we'll see. Hopefully, Reche Caldwell is healthy and ready to go.

Once you get below that ------ above, you're looking at QBs that are essentially the same guy in regards to overall season ending fantasy points.