PDA

View Full Version : Merrill: Holmes a nice fit at workouts

tk13
05-20-2005, 01:08 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/11691698.htm

Holmes a nice fit at workouts

By ELIZABETH MERRILL

Kansas City Star

Priest Holmes refers to “The Body” as if it’s a separate entity. The body is holding up well. The body is down 7 pounds. When it is time for Priest to call it quits, the body will tell him.

For a moment Thursday, it sounded as if Holmes was trying to hint at something. Is the end near? It’s year nine in the NFL for Holmes, the Chiefs’ veteran halfback. The knee that kept him out of the second half of 2004 is covered in a large wrap that extends to his lower calf.

A few feet away from him, Larry Johnson, the young buck, continues to show that he’s healthy and ready to be a starting NFL halfback.

“He’s definitely going to be the new face for the Kansas City Chiefs,” Holmes said. “And I’m excited to be here and to be able to leave that legacy behind and give him the torch.”

This handoff will have to wait. Holmes, 31, arrived in Kansas City this week for offseason workouts, and coach Dick Vermeil said Holmes is probably the strongest he’s been his entire life. In a weight room in Texas, Holmes bulked up to 222 pounds.

Holmes, a 5-foot-9 Pro Bowler, said he’s dropped 7 of that in the last three weeks by laying off the honey buns.

About 20 minutes into his second workout Thursday, Holmes showed the burst that carried him to 892 yards in half of a season. He broke a long run during an 11-on-11 drill, prompting a sideline observer to shout, “How about that running back?”

Vermeil’s program is built on trust, so when Holmes said he was going to spend the winter months training in Texas, offensive coordinator Al Saunders didn’t flinch. In some ways, Holmes’ work habits remind Saunders of Hall of Fame receiver Charlie Joiner, who’s now the Chiefs’ receivers coach.

Joiner used to train in Houston, away from his Charger teammates. He’d come to camp in better shape than anybody.

“Thank you for being here,” Saunders said to Holmes when he arrived Wednesday.

Saunders now has two running backs capable of producing 1,000-yard seasons. Before the knee injury, Holmes had run for at least 1,400 yards in his first three years with the Chiefs. Johnson, filling in for Holmes, piled up 151 yards on 30 carries in a late-season game against Denver.

In a perfect world, Holmes envisions a one-two punch like he had at Texas in 1996 with Ricky Williams. Johnson, who’s more of a pounding back, said he has no problem sharing snaps with Holmes. Or watching the veteran give a few more lessons.

“He’s here to help this team succeed,” Johnson said, “and I’m here to help extend his career even longer if he wants to stick around more. I’m just here to be his backup and do everything I need to put myself in position if he decides to either give it up or go down.

“It’s real cool between us. We don’t even talk about football that much. That stuff kind of gets tiring.”

Holmes said he won’t be the type of player who hangs around when his skills fade. He doesn’t want to be the guy who holds on and struggles to get 200 yards in a season.

His body will tell him when it’s over.

Thing is, the body’s been telling him a lot of things lately. There was the torn hip muscle at the end of 2002, then the long road of rehab. Holmes didn’t even start running until the third week of July in 2003. He still managed 1,420 yards in 320 carries.

When asked Thursday what Priest can do for him in 2005, Vermeil jokingly rattled off 2,100 yards and 29 touchdowns. Holmes doesn’t think it’s so funny. He has a deal with Chiefs trainer Keith Abrams.

They want 30 touchdowns this year.

“I read my body very well,” Holmes said. “There’s one thing to be able to play three quarters on skill and then leave the last quarter to will. It’s different when you’re playing from the very beginning of the game on will because all your skill is diminishing. That’s not the case with me. My skill level is still very high.

“I’m out here, I’m running, and I’m excited about how the body has healed up.”

Kerberos
05-20-2005, 06:22 AM
Nice article .... makes me wish there was a game this weekend!

:D

NewChief
05-20-2005, 06:31 AM
The thing I like most about this article are the LJ quotes. Seem to be totally without ego or friction.

JimNasium
05-20-2005, 06:32 AM
The guy is a warrior. I'll miss him when he hangs up the cleats.

KChiefs1
05-20-2005, 06:37 AM
I'd take 30 td's & a 1000 yards!

JimNasium
05-20-2005, 06:38 AM
I'd take 30 td's & a 1000 yards!
And a side of nachos on the bench.

tomahawk kid
05-20-2005, 07:00 AM
The thing I like most about this article are the LJ quotes. Seem to be totally without ego or friction.

I picked that out too. That is GREAT.

Sounds like LJ finally gets it.

trndobrd
05-20-2005, 07:15 AM
[url]
Holmes said he won’t be the type of player who hangs around when his skills fade. He doesn’t want to be the guy who holds on and struggles to get 200 yards in a season.

or, to put it another way..."I'm not Emmitt Smith."

Fried Meat Ball!
05-20-2005, 07:23 AM
I picked that out too. That is GREAT.

Sounds like LJ finally gets it.
Sounds like LJ finally KNOWS he's going to get some touches instead of ride the pine behind Priest & Blaylock.

Radar Chief
05-20-2005, 07:30 AM
The guy is a warrior. I'll miss him when he hangs up the cleats.

Indeed, how many “committees” did we go through hope’n for a guy like him?

jeffrho68
05-20-2005, 07:37 AM
In a perfect world, Holmes envisions a one-two punch like he had at Texas in 1996 with Ricky Williams. Johnson, who’s more of a pounding back, said he has no problem sharing snaps with Holmes. Or watching the veteran give a few more lessons.I would love to see that this year!!

Kerberos
05-20-2005, 07:39 AM
Indeed, how many “committees” did we go through hope’n for a guy like him?

And we got him from Baltimore that wanted to use Jamal Lewis the coke dealer instead of Priest.

I don't know about the rest of ya'll but I would much rather have Priest than Jamal.

Jamal is a BIG bruising back with quick speed bursts and a fast runner for his size ... But Priest does SOOOOOO much more out of the backfield than Jamal that the Ravens take him out whenever they have passing plays cause he can't block and he doesn't catch the ball well out of the backfield. He truely is one dimmesional.

Priest is Da'Man.

If LJ can learn allot of priests habbits he will be a great asset for the chiefs in the future!

:D

andoman
05-20-2005, 08:05 AM
or, to put it another way..."I'm not Emmitt Smith."

Yeah, Emmitt doesn't hold the NFL record for rushing touchdowns in a season! ROFL

MOhillbilly
05-20-2005, 08:23 AM

Yet.
Give it time.

C-Mac
05-20-2005, 08:30 AM

Sorry, but theres no way he's totally without ego.

whoman69
05-20-2005, 08:39 AM
Priest is right now on the outside looking in for a HOF career. The numbers are getting there, 7500 yards, 4 1000 yard seasons and 80 TDs, but not quite. He also has not been on a team that has made a championship run. In fact for a career I would have to guess that the teams he has been on are below .500. A good year from the Chiefs and him could put him there. One or the other fall thru and he could need another couple of years to get his bust in Canton.

C-Mac
05-20-2005, 08:52 AM
Priest is right now on the outside looking in for a HOF career. The numbers are getting there, 7500 yards, 4 1000 yard seasons and 80 TDs, but not quite. He also has not been on a team that has made a championship run. In fact for a career I would have to guess that the teams he has been on are below .500. A good year from the Chiefs and him could put him there. One or the other fall thru and he could need another couple of years to get his bust in Canton.

Good point, but dont forget he has a Superbowl ring with the Ravens.

Count Zarth
05-20-2005, 08:53 AM
Priest would need a minimum of 2 full years at his standard production to get into the HOF I think...and he had better tack on a SB.

Bob Dole
05-20-2005, 08:56 AM
Landrew... Landrew...

Cormac
05-20-2005, 08:56 AM
Anybody know what the team record for rushing TDs in a season is? We have a great chance of smashing it this year, IMO. I could see Priest getting 20-22 TDs and LJ getting 12-16.

whoman69
05-20-2005, 09:31 AM
Anybody know what the team record for rushing TDs in a season is? We have a great chance of smashing it this year, IMO. I could see Priest getting 20-22 TDs and LJ getting 12-16.
We had 32 in 2003, and I believe that is the record. I think your projections are a little high. If Priest has 20-22, there is no way that LJ comes close to 12-16.

Chris Meck
05-20-2005, 11:05 AM
I think 80 TD's would pretty well seal the deal, don't you?

BIG_DADDY
05-20-2005, 11:17 AM
LJ's attitude sounds great. hope we get to see both of them in the backfield on certain plays this year.

shakesthecat
05-20-2005, 11:33 AM
Landrew... Landrew...

Oh no!
BobChief has been absorbed.

Hail to the body!

Demonpenz
05-20-2005, 11:58 AM
i cringe everytime priest gets hit. He gets the rock 40 times a game and takes a beating.

Cormac
05-20-2005, 12:37 PM
We had 32 in 2003, and I believe that is the record. I think your projections are a little high. If Priest has 20-22, there is no way that LJ comes close to 12-16.

Maybe true, but I could see us surpassing 2003 (possibly). If we do so, it will probably come at the expense of some passing TDs. With our weapons in the running game, I'd say we'll score even more on the ground than usual. Priest is money from inside the 5, and LJ might bust a couple more 40 yarders. Just a thought.

Wile_E_Coyote
05-20-2005, 12:58 PM
.... Priest is money from inside the 5, and LJ might bust a couple more 40 yarders. Just a thought.

I hope the're far enough ahead in some games that LJ gets to bruise his way into the endzone a few times. Hopefully LJ & Saunders have patched up what ever was wrong between them