PDA

View Full Version : RED Advantage for Chiefs

tiptap
05-20-2005, 09:28 AM
May 19, 2005 Wearing red gives such an advantage in sport that it may need to be regulated in order to ensure that matches are fair, a team of scientists say.

Anthropologists at the University of Durham, northeastern England, looked at the outcome of contests in four disciplines in the 2004 Olympic Games boxing, tae kwon do, Greco-Roman wrestling and freestyle wrestling where competitors were randomly assigned red or blue outfits.

Contestants wearing red won 55 percent of the matches, compared to those wearing blue. Out of 21 rounds in these competitions, 16 were worn by those wearing red. The red advantage prevailed across weight classes, too. Nineteen of 29 classes had more red winners than blue.

The scientists believe red is subliminally associated with aggression and male dominance, and so wearers of that color may get a hidden advantage.

In nature, red is linked with the male hormone testosterone.

In humans, for instance, anger often causes a reddening of the skin to increased blood flow, whereas fear is associated with pallor as the body responds to an external threat.

The study, authored by Russell Hill and Robert Barton, took a peek at the Euro 2004 football tournament, in which teams wore shirts of different colors in different matches.

Teams scored more goals and had more wins when they played in red than when they played in other colors.

In sport, if factors such as strength and skill are equal, "wearing red presumably tips the balance between losing and winning," the study says.

Colors have long been known to influence human moods, but this is the first time that they have been confirmed as a factor in sports contests.

"The implications for regulations governing sporting attire may also be important," the authors say. "The color of sportswear needs to be taken into account to ensure a level playing field in sport."

The study appears on Thursday in the weekly British science journal Nature.
http://tlc.discovery.com/news/afp/20050516/red.html?msn=tlc_news

Donger
05-20-2005, 09:29 AM
This is the first time I've heard of this.

Really.

MOhillbilly
05-20-2005, 09:30 AM
crock of shit

Vegas_Dave
05-20-2005, 09:31 AM
I dont know why but I get so heated up reading that article! GGGGRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Otter
05-20-2005, 09:32 AM
That would certainly explain the dominance of the Chiefs over the rest of the NFL.

StcChief
05-20-2005, 09:33 AM
I call Bull$hit.

MOhillbilly
05-20-2005, 09:36 AM
They did the same study years ago and my HS football coach(goof that he was) changed our unis to black and silver(ya i know) thinking it would intimidate the other team or some shit.

7-3 was the best willard ever mustered.
havent had a better season in 13-14years.

BigChiefFan
05-20-2005, 09:39 AM
What a bullshit theory.

Bob Dole
05-20-2005, 09:46 AM
They did the same study years ago and my HS football coach(goof that he was) changed our unis to black and silver(ya i know) thinking it would intimidate the other team or some shit.

Willard.

That explains a lot.

MOhillbilly
05-20-2005, 10:11 AM
Willard.

That explains a lot.

awww screw you.

TEX
05-20-2005, 10:13 AM
It only works if all things are equal - meaning talent.

eazyb81
05-20-2005, 10:14 AM
This article is awesome.....

FOR ME TO POOP ON!

ChiefsCountry
05-20-2005, 10:16 AM
Apparently these researchers never watch Chiefs games.

MOhillbilly
05-20-2005, 10:20 AM
gotta be Red Devils.

ChiefsCountry
05-20-2005, 10:27 AM

Football they haven't done much, but they did get 2nd in state in basketball this year.

C-Mac
05-20-2005, 10:52 AM
Some one should recommend to these anthropologists researchers to set up camp with the Arizona Cardinals.
:bong:

OrlandoChief
05-20-2005, 12:13 PM
The Chiefs opponents actually see more red than do the Chiefs if you think about it...

Reaper16
05-20-2005, 12:29 PM
Congrats to Willard on winning the State One-Act Play championship this year.

No, I'm serious. Willard has had great thaetre success these past few years, culminating in the state title this year.

(I was a drama kid from perinnial High School theatre powerhouse Excelsior Springs.)

MO High School theatre has about 7 or so schools that defy the convention that High School theatre is terrible. ES, Ray Pec, Nixa, Willard, Lee's Summit, Grandview, Hickman Mills - all have great theatre departments with quality actors and actresses.

MOhillbilly
05-20-2005, 12:36 PM
Congrats to Willard on winning the State One-Act Play championship this year.

No, I'm serious. Willard has had great thaetre success these past few years, culminating in the state title this year.

(I was a drama kid from perinnial High School theatre powerhouse Excelsior Springs.)

MO High School theatre has about 7 or so schools that defy the convention that High School theatre is terrible. ES, Ray Pec, Nixa, Willard, Lee's Summit, Grandview, Hickman Mills - all have great theatre departments with quality actors and actresses.

My Grandmother Taught at E.S. for alongtime McCaroll ring a bell?