PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom remodling: Tub or Shower?

cdcox
05-20-2005, 02:30 PM
The master bath in our house needs work. We could be looking to move in 2 to 5 years so we want any changes to be good for resale. At the same time, we may be in the house beyond 5 years, so we want any changes to fit our tastes as well. The bathroom isn't real huge and expanding isn't an option. I'm thinking of replacing the tub/shower combo insert with a tiled shower. The present tub is too small to really relax in, and I think a nice shower would add a touch of luxury to the master bath. The shower would even be roomier without having to accomodate a tub. My wife thinks that most people will want a tub in the master bath even if it is small. We have a tub in the other bathroom. Which do you think would help resale more: a tub/shower combo or a nicely tiled shower?

seclark
05-20-2005, 02:33 PM
i prefer a shower, what with my bad bladder and whatnot.
sec

buddha
05-20-2005, 02:34 PM
cdcox, I will tell you that a large, comfortable tiled shower will always be preferable to a tub/shower combo if the tub is too small for at least a 6' man to fit in comfortably. And please make sure the shower head is nice and high so the tall guys don't have to stoop down to rinse their noggins.

Rain Man
05-20-2005, 02:48 PM
I think a shower/tub will have better resale in a master bath, unless the other bathroom has an oversize tub.

That said, from a utility standpoint, I'd prefer to have a shower as long as there's at least one other bathtub in the house.

I think there's arguments to be made for both, but I'd prefer the shower just because you'll be living with it day in and day out, and a big, roomy shower will be more comfortable.

mikey23545
05-20-2005, 02:50 PM
I'm not sure what to tell you...It makes more sense to put in a nice shower, but I think your wife is right that most people expect to find a tub in the master bath....

Jenny Gump
05-20-2005, 02:51 PM
Shower, big and tiled, with one of those multiple shower head dealywhackers that's pointed all over your body. That would rock.

Braincase
05-20-2005, 02:53 PM
Shower, big and tiled, with one of those multiple shower head dealywhackers that's pointed all over your body. That would rock.

Not to mention fun for synchronized water sports with the significant other.

Count Zarth
05-20-2005, 02:53 PM
Someone light the Phobia signal.

Jenny Gump
05-20-2005, 02:55 PM
Not to mention fun for synchronized water sports with the significant other.

What do you think "rock" means?

StcChief
05-20-2005, 02:59 PM
Do the Big tile shower with multiple shower heads.

That is what new modern baths have.

Who wants to lounge in tub anymore? Unless it's a jetted tub.

redbrian
05-20-2005, 02:59 PM
I'd go with the large tiled walk in shower with a bench and the far end and a steam genie.

Phobia
05-20-2005, 03:01 PM

Agreed. If you're going to scrap the bathtub, you have to go all out on the shower. Personally, I've probably taken half a dozen sit down baths in the past decade and each time I wasn't alone so I don't really have much use for a tub. That said, people do expect to find a tub in the master. But if the shower really really rocks, I'll bet they'll forgive the lack of tub.

Kerberos
05-20-2005, 03:04 PM
Do the Big tile shower with multiple shower heads.

That is what new modern baths have.

Yup..... and the jets for women come in 3 speeds...

#1 Low

#2 Med

#3 Who Needs A Man

:D

Fat Elvis
05-20-2005, 03:05 PM
Tile showers are a big pain in the butt to clean.

Simplex3
05-20-2005, 03:08 PM
Tubs suck. If you don't have room for a huge one then why bother.

Of course we have a big tub in the master bath that hasn't been filled in years. What a waste.

Sam
05-20-2005, 03:14 PM
Walk-in shower with multiple, 3 to 4 even a hand held, shower heads and built in seat. I've seen some in glass block but clear glass might even be better. I know one house that has such a shower in the middle of the master bedroom.

Count Zarth
05-20-2005, 03:18 PM
Someone light the Phobia signal.

To the Philcave!

cookster50
05-20-2005, 04:25 PM
To the Philcave!

Quoting yourself, that is sad.

Rausch
05-20-2005, 04:30 PM
I have never liked bathtubs, always been a shower guy.

That said, go with whatever makes you two most comfortable. It's your shower/bath. If the next owner doesn't like it they can replace it.

RedNFeisty
05-20-2005, 04:49 PM
Walk in shower. If the house is nice enough I would use stone (stone like tiles) vs. tile.

cdcox
05-20-2005, 06:09 PM
Walk in shower. If the house is nice enough I would use stone (stone like tiles) vs. tile.

Natural type tile, as opposed to slick glaze tile, is what I'm envisioning. If I decide to do the shower, I'll do it right.

chiefs4me
05-20-2005, 06:16 PM
Just my opinion.....but no way would I want a house where my own personal bathroom in my bedroom did not have a tub. If I wanted to take a shower, then I would have to use the other bathroom. No female wants to have to do that. Just my opinion.....

Phobia
05-20-2005, 06:17 PM
Natural type tile, as opposed to slick glaze tile, is what I'm envisioning. If I decide to do the shower, I'll do it right.

Don't go budget on the sealer. Spend the money. It will save hours of scrubbing and chemicals in the future.

Baby Lee
05-20-2005, 06:18 PM
I'd love a jetted tub, or a hot tub, or a suana even. But not having those, I run a tubful just 1/100000th of a degree below scalding and sweat, soak, and relax tired muscles until lukewarm. Then clean off with a cold cold cold shower.
The poor man's version of Norwegian suana. Plus, washing your hair with ice water [or as cold as you can get it depending on the temperature of your water supply and the season/weather] is much more effective.

cdcox
05-20-2005, 06:19 PM
Just my opinion.....but no way would I want a house where my own personal bathroom in my bedroom did not have a tub. If I wanted to take a shower, then I would have to use the other bathroom. No female wants to have to do that. Just my opinion.....

The master bath would have a shower, so you could take a shower.

It would not have a tub, so if you wanted to take a bath (in a small tub) you would have to go to another bathroom.

cdcox
05-20-2005, 06:20 PM
Don't go budget on the sealer. Spend the money. It will save hours of scrubbing and chemicals in the future.

Thanks for the advice.

Skip Towne
05-20-2005, 06:26 PM
By dealywhacker you actually mean a sex toy don't you?

bogie
05-20-2005, 06:42 PM
Not sure of your decor. You might concider a nice claw foot tub with a nice chrome shower accessorys and wrap around curtain on a chrome oval shower rod. Just another option.

Joe Seahawk
05-20-2005, 06:46 PM
Here ya go..

http://www.chinaimports.co.uk/images/SteamShower_2.jpg

Baby Lee
05-20-2005, 06:51 PM
No telling what you can do with the lower heads, but I think this is what she was talking about
http://www.hansgrohe-usa.com/products/singleprod.php?prod_num=26510

http://www.hansgrohe-usa.com/images/proddb/26510000.jpg

Rain Man
05-20-2005, 06:55 PM

Everything's a sex toy if you work hard enough at it.

Skip Towne
05-20-2005, 07:04 PM
Everything's a sex toy if you work hard enough at it.
Yeah, I know, everything goes back to hard work. To paraphrase an old country song "I work my fingers to the bone and what do I get.......bony fingers."

Logical
05-20-2005, 09:15 PM
Maybe a compromise, a tub with a nice shower door enclosure and decent shower heads. I personally don't like tubs much but I think most women prefer them, so if it is a family style home you probably want at minimum a tub shower combo. I hate shower curtains so this is the reason for my suggestion.

2bikemike
05-20-2005, 10:56 PM
Maybe a compromise, a tub with a nice shower door enclosure and decent shower heads. I personally don't like tubs much but I think most women prefer them, so if it is a family style home you probably want at minimum a tub shower combo. I hate shower curtains so this is the reason for my suggestion.

I agree with Jim. Women love their baths. Find a nice quality tub enclosure and dress it up nice with shower doors and fixtures. IMHO I would hate a tiled shower. Too much maintenance to keep it looking good. I don't think tiles are the hot tickets anymore.

Skip Towne
05-20-2005, 11:04 PM
I've never figured out how you can get clean in a tub. Yes, you dilute the dirt but it is still all over you as you exit the tub....unless you shower off. :shrug:

trndobrd
05-20-2005, 11:13 PM
Resale wise, I think you will do better with a very nice, roomy shower than a Motel 6 size bathtub. The shower will catch the eye, the tub will not. As long as there is another tub in the house, it doesn't really matter.

Braincase
05-21-2005, 06:12 AM
Here ya go..

http://www.chinaimports.co.uk/images/SteamShower_2.jpg

Hey Joe,

Who's the dumbass that put the towel rack inside the shower?

Herzig
05-21-2005, 06:20 AM

I've never understood why women love the tub so much either. I also hate shower curtains, but women seem to love these as well. I think they view it as a decorative part of the bathroom.