PDA

View Full Version : Conan best interviewer out there.

Baby Lee
05-20-2005, 05:35 PM
Just got through watching Conan with Amy Poeller, replayed on MSNBC from last night. And I have to reiterate, for those who may have forgotten. Conan has the shiznit. Blowing away the contemporary likes of Leno, Letterman and Stewart, and rapidly approaching the legend of Johnny.
He's just so at home with whomever comes on his show. And his secret is, IMO, that he acknowledges the conceits of the format. When he's sucking up, he winks at the camera and acknowledges that he's sucking up. When he's flirting, he winks at the camera, licks his eyebrows like a cartoon wolf, and acknowledges he's flirting. When he's BSing, . . . he lets you know he knows he's a BS artist.
Oh, and I'm still laughing my azz off at the 'sweeps week' gambit of the hunky newcomer.
"Did you ever feel like breaking down?" ROFL ROFL ROFL

redbrian
05-20-2005, 05:41 PM
Just got through watching Conan with Amy Poeller, replayed on MSNBC from last night. And I have to reiterate, for those who may have forgotten. Conan has the shiznit. Blowing away the contemporary likes of Leno, Letterman and Stewart, and rapidly approaching the legend of Johnny.
He's just so at home with whomever comes on his show. And his secret is, IMO, that he acknowledges the conceits of the format. When he's sucking up, he winks at the camera and acknowledges that he's sucking up. When he's flirting, he winks at the camera, licks his eyebrows like a cartoon wolf, and acknowledges he's flirting. When he's BSing, . . . he lets you know he knows he's a BS artist.
Oh, and I'm still laughing my azz off at the 'sweeps week' gambit of the hunky newcomer.
"Did you ever feel like breaking down?" ROFL ROFL ROFL

I'd agree he's the best at the "late night" formula.
But if you want the grown up stuff nobody can compete with Charlie Rose, the guy can go from heavy politics to light entertainment and everything inbetween.

DaKCMan AP
05-20-2005, 05:42 PM
Yep - Conan's the best. Been a fan a long time. Went to a taping in 2000. The main guest was Rebecca-Romijn and she was promoting the first X-Men movie. I laughed my ass off and Rebecca is MUCH MUCH MUCH HOTTER in person. Gorgeous.

Baby Lee
05-20-2005, 05:46 PM
I'd agree he's the best at the "late night" formula.
But if you want the grown up stuff nobody can compete with Charlie Rose, the guy can go from heavy politics to light entertainment and everything inbetween.
I'm talking about entertainment. I agree that he's untested on sober policy discussions. But when it comes to bringing someone on and turning them into an entertaining bit of television, he's unparalelled. When it comes to lighter fare, that's still not outright comedy or 'entertainment,' I'd put Charlie on par with Jon Favreau on his 'Dinner for Five' show. Knowledgeable and insightful, but not quiet hilarious and endearing.

Baby Lee
05-20-2005, 05:47 PM
Yep - Conan's the best. Been a fan a long time. Went to a taping in 2000. The main guest was Rebecca-Romijn and she was promoting the first X-Men movie. I laughed my ass off and Rebecca is MUCH MUCH MUCH HOTTER in person. Gorgeous.
Rebecca is a great guest, but when Lauren Graham is slated to appear. THAT is appointment television. You get the palpable sense that, if the audience were to fade away, they'd jump each other's bones RIGHT THEN AND THERE.

tk13
05-20-2005, 05:54 PM
He's definitely entertaining, but I also think he tries to steal the show and inject himself into interviews more than the other late night hosts. I think sometimes he overshadows the person who is supposed to be on the show to promote something. In my mind I'm not sure that makes him the best true interviewer, he's the most entertaining though.

Baby Lee
05-20-2005, 05:59 PM
He's definitely entertaining, but I also think he tries to steal the show and inject himself into interviews more than the other late night hosts. I think sometimes he overshadows the person who is supposed to be on the show to promote something. In my mind I'm not sure that makes him the best true interviewer, he's the most entertaining though.
You see, what you as injecting himself into the interview too much, I see as actively engaged in the conversation.
I can't stand Jay's obsequious "Well, nyah, nyah, I though it was just great" schtick for every fugging thing.
I like Letterman's cool cyncism, and it places him in second place.
I'm not all that enamored of the "well, you're here to plug something, what is it," then just sit back and let the celeb pontificate approach either.
Jon Stewart tries to engage, but he has a more limited set of 'bits' [raising his fist and yelling "D@mn you xxxx!!!!", guffawing into his fist, etc.].

big nasty kcnut
05-20-2005, 06:01 PM
I like him cause he make the guest work for their plug.

tk13
05-20-2005, 06:03 PM
You see, what you as injecting himself into the interview too much, I see as actively engaged in the conversation.
I can't stand Jay's obsequious "Well, nyah, nyah, I though it was just great" schtick for every fugging thing.
I like Letterman's cool cyncism, and it places him in second place.
I'm not all that enamored of the "well, you're here to plug something, what is it," then just sit back and let the celeb pontificate approach either.
Jon Stewart tries to engage, but he has a more limited set of 'bits' [raising his fist and yelling "D@mn you xxxx!!!!", guffawing into his fist, etc.].
Yeah I figured you'd say that, and you have a good point. It would be less entertaining just sitting there letting the guest say whatever they want...it's a fine line I guess. There's no doubt he's the most entertaining though. I like Letterman as an interviewer too.

cookster50
05-20-2005, 07:08 PM
I use to watch him back when I stayed up that late, that was 7+ years ago when Andy Richter was his sidekick. I loved the "In The Year 2000" bits.

Baby Lee
05-20-2005, 07:17 PM
I use to watch him back when I stayed up that late, that was 7+ years ago when Andy Richter was his sidekick. I loved the "In The Year 2000" bits.
Still do them on occasion. And they still call them "a look into the future. . . all the way. . to the year 2000." ROFL ROFL

BTW - no need to stay up late, MSNBC reruns the previous night at 6 CST.

Pitt Gorilla
05-20-2005, 07:20 PM
Andy was on the other night and they did the year 2000 bit. Gotta love LaBamba.

Baby Lee
05-20-2005, 07:36 PM
Andy was on the other night and they did the year 2000 bit. Gotta love LaBamba.
Didja catch the hunky new guy bit?

Conan!!!

[music cue] "Did ya ever feel like breakin' down?"

[intense stares shared]

"Gotta Go"

ROFL ROFL - Don't know why that cracks my sh!t up every time.