PDA

View Full Version : ugh - my PC won't post

KC Jones
05-20-2005, 11:08 PM
I'm thinking Motherboard. Power supply fan comes on along with case fans, various LEDs, etc. Tried pulling the vid card to see if I could get the '3 beep where the **** is the video card' post going and no dice. PC has been working fine for 2 years now :( I'm bummed cause I spent quite a bit on a nice Giga-byte MB, which is most definitely out of warranty now. I've got a nice UPS that should have protected everything from a surge too. What would happen if the CMOS battery was dead? Anyone wanna talk me out of suspecting the MB and into suspecting the power supply?

Logical
05-21-2005, 12:00 AM
PC won't post? I am guessing you meant something else other than Post. If you meant post what does the term post mean to you? I have had a battery go dead and the PC did strange things but it would still go through its boot sequence.

|Zach|
05-21-2005, 01:52 AM
My PC doesn't toast either.

Kind of a shame. I love bagles.

KC Jones
05-21-2005, 06:24 AM
PC won't post? I am guessing you meant something else other than Post. If you meant post what does the term post mean to you? I have had a battery go dead and the PC did strange things but it would still go through its boot sequence.

There's no beep, the monitor remains black, no bios load screen. All that happens when you turn it on is that the fans and some of the LEDs turn on. From there nothing happens at all. I'm pretty sure it's either the motherboard being toast, or the power supply is not working properly.

KC Jones
05-21-2005, 06:25 AM
My PC doesn't toast either.

Kind of a shame. I love bagles.

remove your heasink and/or cpu fan. I'm pretty certain it will toast after that - at least one time.

Baby Lee
05-21-2005, 08:13 AM
Power
On
Self
Test

Sounds like he's getting power, but no self test and boot sequence.

Baby Lee
05-21-2005, 08:16 AM
There's no beep, the monitor remains black, no bios load screen. All that happens when you turn it on is that the fans and some of the LEDs turn on. From there nothing happens at all. I'm pretty sure it's either the motherboard being toast, or the power supply is not working properly.
Do you have a PS to switch out?
That'd be where I'd start. That way you can test the power supply as the weak link AND check all power connections. Two birds with one stone.

Mr. Laz
05-21-2005, 09:39 AM
check all cables (power and hard drive) for proper connection

try resetting cmos (hit button or jumper, pull batter if needed)

check power supply with meter

does MB have error info system... some have little numbers that light up and tell you what the problem is.

start switching out parts with any old pieces you still have (memory,video card etc) you might fight the bad part.

bad motherboard is the hardest to diagnose imo ... cause you have to eliminate virtually everything else. It pretty much by process of elimination. :(

good luck

KC Jones
05-21-2005, 11:06 AM
check all cables (power and hard drive) for proper connection

try resetting cmos (hit button or jumper, pull batter if needed)

check power supply with meter

does MB have error info system... some have little numbers that light up and tell you what the problem is.

start switching out parts with any old pieces you still have (memory,video card etc) you might fight the bad part.

bad motherboard is the hardest to diagnose imo ... cause you have to eliminate virtually everything else. It pretty much by process of elimination. :(

good luck

no meter to test the power supply with.

I've removed everything that's not necessary to post and then even eliminated some of them, to see if the motherboard would give a beep signal for missing the video card or memory for instance. I already tried removing the cmos battery and leaving it out for 10 minutes or so to force a reset. After reading up on CMOS it's obvious that couldn't be the problem anyway.

Since all the LEDs and fans are coming on I believe the power supply is probably working ok. I'm down to thinking it's either the CPU or the mobo.

Mr. Laz
05-22-2005, 10:23 AM
I'm down to thinking it's either the CPU or the mobo.

got any memory sticks you can switch out and check that

but your probably correct ... my first guess is the motherboard. The CPU's are remarkably durable.

you might ask a friend if can stick your CPU in his computer to see if it works or something.

it's tedious ... i've been there

btw when you pulled the CMOS battery, did you also check the jumper?

outside chance you can fix the mobo with a bios flash as well

KC Jones
05-22-2005, 11:08 AM
got any memory sticks you can switch out and check that

but your probably correct ... my first guess is the motherboard. The CPU's are remarkably durable.

you might ask a friend if can stick your CPU in his computer to see if it works or something.

it's tedious ... i've been there

btw when you pulled the CMOS battery, did you also check the jumper?

outside chance you can fix the mobo with a bios flash as well

I borrowed a voltometer - was able to confirm 12V and 5V output is all good. I wasn't able to confirm 3V because when I tried to short the power on pin (to test 3V without being hooked up to the MB) the power supply wouldn't run. However when the power supply is hooked up to the MB everything runs fine (in terms of fans and LEDs, other power lines, etc.) so I'm assuming that was some error on my part. The MB has an LED for the memory and it indicates the correct voltage is flowing there. So, I'm still thinking the PSU is fine.

I called CompUSA yesterday and they said they'll let me return any hardware I buy and open. So, I'm gonna buy a new CPU, Mobo, and PSU - use them to test everything and once I find the culprit I'll return the other two. Of course I also have a sprinkler system to fix today, a lawn to mow and edge trim, kids to beat, relatives we have to visit, etc. So it may be a while before I get all this wrapped up.

I'm pretty certain it's not a corrupt bios because this is a dual bios MB. Any trouble booting with the primary bios chip and it'll go to the backup. A pretty handy little feature.

Mr. Laz
05-22-2005, 11:51 AM
I borrowed a voltometer - was able to confirm 12V and 5V output is all good. I wasn't able to confirm 3V because when I tried to short the power on pin (to test 3V without being hooked up to the MB) the power supply wouldn't run. However when the power supply is hooked up to the MB everything runs fine (in terms of fans and LEDs, other power lines, etc.) so I'm assuming that was some error on my part. The MB has an LED for the memory and it indicates the correct voltage is flowing there. So, I'm still thinking the PSU is fine.

I called CompUSA yesterday and they said they'll let me return any hardware I buy and open. So, I'm gonna buy a new CPU, Mobo, and PSU - use them to test everything and once I find the culprit I'll return the other two. Of course I also have a sprinkler system to fix today, a lawn to mow and edge trim, kids to beat, relatives we have to visit, etc. So it may be a while before I get all this wrapped up.

I'm pretty certain it's not a corrupt bios because this is a dual bios MB. Any trouble booting with the primary bios chip and it'll go to the backup. A pretty handy little feature.

you sound like a man with a plan :thumb:

ArrowheadHawk
05-22-2005, 01:53 PM
Have you tried to see if the board will post outside of the case. It is possible that you have a ground issue with the case.

KC Jones
05-22-2005, 06:50 PM
Problem solved.

New MOBO boots like a champ with the old PSU and CPU. I hate to toss the old one - it's a Gigabyte GA-8IK1100. Has some nice features and has won plenty of tech review awards. Has the Intel 875P northbridge and far superior components overall to the Abit VT7 they had on the shelf at CompUSA. Now I just need to decide if I keep the ABIT or return it and order a better alternative from NewEgg.com