PDA

View Full Version : I am FED UP with my DIRECTV service!!!!!

DTLB58
05-21-2005, 02:54 PM
For the second time this week I have lost service of my local channels because of a simple freaking rain shower. No thunder,no lighting,no wind just straight line rain shower. :banghead: :cuss:

I called customer service and got put thru to several different recordings and never did get to talk to anyone before the last recording hung up on me! :mad:

I sent them a nasty gram via e-mail but I have yet to have them reply to any of my e-mails in several years as their customer.

For a company that boasts "Re-thinking TV" as a slogan you think they could provide service during a freakin rain shower.

The ONLY thing keeping me as their customer at this point is NFL Sunday ticket.

Anyone else having weather releated issues with just the local channels dish?

luv
05-21-2005, 03:01 PM
My dad used to have DirecTV, and he had the same problems. I think he changed to Dish Network. I think that's it anyway. He still gets local channels, and I haven't heard him complain about it.

DTLB58
05-21-2005, 03:09 PM
My dad used to have DirecTV, and he had the same problems. I think he changed to Dish Network. I think that's it anyway. He still gets local channels, and I haven't heard him complain about it.

If I changed service I would probably go with cable so I could get a break on my internet service (Same provider).

I have heard good things about DishNetwork in this area also but again.....NO Sunday Ticket going that route. :cuss:

Skip Towne
05-21-2005, 03:10 PM
All satellite systems have "rain fade" to one degree or another. It sounds like your dish is not aligned correctly. Put the receiver on a local channel and go into the menu. Click on system setup, then to signal. Your signal quality should be at least 70 on a clear day. If it is less it needs adjusted.

BigMeatballDave
05-21-2005, 03:11 PM
The only problem I have is during t-storms, heavy snow and ice...

DTLB58
05-21-2005, 03:15 PM
All satellite systems have "rain fade" to one degree or another. It sounds like your dish is not aligned correctly. Put the receiver on a local channel and go into the menu. Click on system setup, then to signal. Your signal quality should be at least 70 on a clear day. If it is less it needs adjusted.

I'll give it a try tomorrow when it is supposed to be sunny again. Just thinks it's odd that it my picture is crytal clear on a sunny day and if the dish needs re-aligned you would think it wouldn't come in good then either??? Thanks.

luv
05-21-2005, 03:15 PM
If I changed service I would probably go with cable so I could get a break on my internet service (Same provider).

I have heard good things about DishNetwork in this area also but again.....NO Sunday Ticket going that route. :cuss:

Ahhhh yes, I do remember him saying that was the one downfall to Dish.

Love the internet cable. I have the basic cable and the high speed cable internet, but they are included in my rent. :)

Skip Towne
05-21-2005, 03:16 PM
The only problem I have is during t-storms, heavy snow and ice...
You shouldn't have problems with snow except that it builds up on the dish. Heavy rain knocks mine out for a few minutes. Since he is only having trouble with the locals, I suspect he is partially obstructed by trees or other solid objects such as buildings.

Skip Towne
05-21-2005, 03:21 PM
I'll give it a try tomorrow when it is supposed to be sunny again. Just thinks it's odd that it my picture is crytal clear on a sunny day and if the dish needs re-aligned you would think it wouldn't come in good then either??? Thanks.
No, they can act OK when it is sunny but the rain drops absorb the signal and lower your signal strength. Since you are only having trouble with the locals, I suspect you are partially obstructed by trees. Stand behind your dish and see if there are trees to the right of where the dish is aimed. See how easy it is to get good firsthand customer service? You just went to the wrong place looking for it.

TRR
05-21-2005, 03:33 PM
I put mine on the side of my garage so it's kind of protected by the gutter above. I really haven't had a problem with it yet. However, I have had a problem lately with it searching a long time to pick up the channel.

DTLB58
05-21-2005, 03:35 PM
No, they can act OK when it is sunny but the rain drops absorb the signal and lower your signal strength. Since you are only having trouble with the locals, I suspect you are partially obstructed by trees. Stand behind your dish and see if there are trees to the right of where the dish is aimed. See how easy it is to get good firsthand customer service? You just went to the wrong place looking for it.

But I only have problems when it rains....If it were a obstructed object I should always have problems....

Skip Towne
05-21-2005, 03:44 PM
But I only have problems when it rains....If it were a obstructed object I should always have problems....
Not necessarily. The signal goes out around 50 signal strength. If your line of sight is clear and your ss is around 90, you can stand to lose 40 points before losing your picture. But if you are partially obstructed and your ss is 60 then you only have a margin of 10 points and you will see lots of outage. I see this all the time while doing service calls. The installer neglects to allow a line of sight 30 wide. And the locals are on the far right of this path.

Count Alex's Losses
05-21-2005, 03:53 PM
It rains all the ****ing time down here and I rarely ever have problems.

Skip Towne
05-21-2005, 04:00 PM
It rains all the ****ing time down here and I rarely ever have problems.
Somebody really smart, like me, must have installed your system. My call-back rate is less than 2%.

1adam1238
05-21-2005, 04:05 PM
I hate dealing with directv reps.....they don't have a damn clue. If it weren't for the Sunday ticket I wouldn't have it. Lately, all of my receivers in the house have to be unplugged everyday and let it reset in order to change the damn channel....it really blows.

Count Alex's Losses
05-21-2005, 04:05 PM
Somebody really smart, like me, must have installed your system. My call-back rate is less than 2%.

Heh. It was some kid. We've had zero problems.

Skip Towne
05-21-2005, 04:09 PM
Heh. It was some kid. We've had zero problems.
Good. It must have been a really smart kid.

BIG_DADDY
05-21-2005, 04:14 PM
Season Ticket is the only reason to have Direct TV. I have been wanting to get rid of these guys for years.

Count Alex's Losses
05-21-2005, 04:18 PM
Good. It must have been a really smart kid.

Yeah, he was probbaly a smart kid if he got through the training and everything.

Simplex3
05-21-2005, 04:26 PM
I have Everest for my cable and Internet. I have an antenna in the attic for when the cable goes out. I have DirecTV on the back of the house but only have the Sunday Ticket with it.

As for outages, I used to have the same problem. I'd have 85-90 signal then four drops would fall in the back yard and the signal would go to s**t. Then the damn receivers just kept getting slower and slower. Takes damn near 3-4 seconds to switch channels now. It's crap-tacular.

TRR
05-21-2005, 04:30 PM
I have Everest for my cable and Internet. I have an antenna in the attic for when the cable goes out. I have DirecTV on the back of the house but only have the Sunday Ticket with it.

As for outages, I used to have the same problem. I'd have 85-90 signal then four drops would fall in the back yard and the signal would go to s**t. Then the damn receivers just kept getting slower and slower. Takes damn near 3-4 seconds to switch channels now. It's crap-tacular.

Have you received your first bill yet for The Ticket? I am afraid that one year they are just going to pull the rug out from under us, and say you have to get a package to get The Ticket.

DTLB58
05-21-2005, 05:28 PM
Not necessarily. The signal goes out around 50 signal strength. If your line of sight is clear and your ss is around 90, you can stand to lose 40 points before losing your picture. But if you are partially obstructed and your ss is 60 then you only have a margin of 10 points and you will see lots of outage. I see this all the time while doing service calls. The installer neglects to allow a line of sight 30 wide. And the locals are on the far right of this path.

Well it finally stopped raining so I went out and looked and there is a tree directly to the south of where the local dish is pointing. Also my channels have come back in now that it stopped raining and I didn't even have to reset it. But now it has started lighting and thunder as a storm is just passing to the north of me and service is cutting in and out again..... I had that tree trimmed when we moved in here almost 8 years ago to get reception for my C-band at the time so I suppose that could need trimming again.....For what they charged to climb up the thing 30-40 feet to trim it I should have just had them cut the damn thing down when I moved in. :cuss:

Thanks again.....Do you make service calls in north east Iowa??? :)

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
05-21-2005, 05:43 PM
If it is only affecting your local channels I would suspect it is a problem with the local stations broadcasting to the DirecTV satellite and not a DirecTV issue.

Lbedrock1
05-21-2005, 05:55 PM

Go through all your transponders and find out which one is below 70. Leave it on that transponder and adjust your dish so that the signal strength reads above 70 on that transponder and you should not have anymore problems. the dish just need to be aligned a degree or 2

mikey23545
05-21-2005, 06:06 PM
I think you need your dish aligned properly.

I live in Florida, and last year through three hurricanes I never lost the signal until the power actually went out...I'm talking hurricane force winds and rain...

Skip Towne
05-21-2005, 06:09 PM
If it is only affecting your local channels I would suspect it is a problem with the local stations broadcasting to the DirecTV satellite and not a DirecTV issue.
Nope, they only go out when it rains. It is related to his dish. And he's had the problem before with his "C" band system.

Skip Towne
05-21-2005, 06:11 PM
Have you received your first bill yet for The Ticket? I am afraid that one year they are just going to pull the rug out from under us, and say you have to get a package to get The Ticket.
They already have started requiring a package to get the Ticket. You may be grandfathered and maybe not.

Rain Man
05-21-2005, 06:14 PM
If I didn't know better, I'd think that Skip actually knew what he was talking about.

Skip Towne
05-21-2005, 06:16 PM
I put mine on the side of my garage so it's kind of protected by the gutter above. I really haven't had a problem with it yet. However, I have had a problem lately with it searching a long time to pick up the channel.
That gutter isn't helping your signal strength. The storm can be several miles away. All it has to do is get betwen your dish and the satellite.

Skip Towne
05-21-2005, 06:19 PM
Season Ticket is the only reason to have Direct TV. I have been wanting to get rid of these guys for years.
You liked them OK when you were getting it free. By the way, they have all but solved the pirate problem. Now they have a new problem to replace it. Program sharing. One guy gets 4 receivers and him and a buddy take 2 each and share the bill. I think it is hilarious.

Skip Towne
05-21-2005, 06:22 PM
Go through all your transponders and find out which one is below 70. Leave it on that transponder and adjust your dish so that the signal strength reads above 70 on that transponder and you should not have anymore problems. the dish just need to be aligned a degree or 2
No need to do that. Some transponders are not used. You could be out there a week trying to get one of them to improve.

Mosbonian
05-21-2005, 06:25 PM
I've had DirecTV since 1998 and have very few problems with losing the signal, except for really nasty storms.....and most of the time when that happens I turn my TV's off and head downstairs to turn on the TV that has the basic cable only just to keep up with local weather.

The only beef I have with DirecTV is all the blackouts I have here in Columbia now with The NFL Ticket...I know it's part of the new agreement but it still stinks to have to watch the Chiefs on the regular channels because it's blacked out in Direct Ticket.

I've decided that it's not worth it to pay for D Ticket this year, so i won't be renewing it. (Not that they will miss my $300)

mmaddog

Skip Towne
05-21-2005, 06:26 PM
I hate dealing with directv reps.....they don't have a damn clue. If it weren't for the Sunday ticket I wouldn't have it. Lately, all of my receivers in the house have to be unplugged everyday and let it reset in order to change the damn channel....it really blows.
You have a problem with your system. How many receivers do you have? It is probably the multiswitch (if you have one) or the LNB if you don't.

Skip Towne
05-21-2005, 08:20 PM
Well it finally stopped raining so I went out and looked and there is a tree directly to the south of where the local dish is pointing. Also my channels have come back in now that it stopped raining and I didn't even have to reset it. But now it has started lighting and thunder as a storm is just passing to the north of me and service is cutting in and out again..... I had that tree trimmed when we moved in here almost 8 years ago to get reception for my C-band at the time so I suppose that could need trimming again.....For what they charged to climb up the thing 30-40 feet to trim it I should have just had them cut the damn thing down when I moved in. :cuss:

Thanks again.....Do you make service calls in north east Iowa??? :)
I should have asked you, do you have two dishes or just one? An alternative to trimming the trees is to move the dish but I need to know which system you have.

Ultra Peanut
05-21-2005, 08:46 PM
All satellite systems have "rain fade" to one degree or another. It sounds like your dish is not aligned correctly. Put the receiver on a local channel and go into the menu. Click on system setup, then to signal. Your signal quality should be at least 70 on a clear day. If it is less it needs adjusted.70? Damn, mine's usually in the mid-90s to high 80s. The installation guy had to add another dish when I got the DirecTivo installed for the dual-tuner capability, but both are rockin' along nicely the vast majority of the time. Actually, I've probably only experienced rain fade while trying to watch something maybe five times in the past eight or nine months.

My biggest complaint with the weather is when local news breaks into a program you've had sitting in your "Now Playing" list for three weeks. In the immortal words of Talisman, "tape-delayed weathermen save no one."

Season Ticket is the only reason to have Direct TV. I have been wanting to get rid of these guys for years.FSC, GolTV, Setanta... I can't complain.

Ultra Peanut
05-21-2005, 08:51 PM
If I didn't know better, I'd think that Skip actually knew what he was talking about.Bizarro!

Skip Towne
05-21-2005, 09:01 PM
Bizarro!
Hey, Psi, Tivo requires two wires from the dish but does not require two dishes. How many receivers do you have? He may have put up the 2nd dish to gain two more outlets. Multiswitches will do the same thing.

Ultra Peanut
05-21-2005, 09:03 PM
Hey, Psi, Tivo requires two wires from the dish but does not require two dishes. How many receivers do you have? He may have put up the 2nd dish to gain two more outlets. Multiswitches will do the same thing.There are three other receivers besides the Tivo unit, so the second dish idea was fine with me.

Skip Towne
05-21-2005, 09:11 PM
There are three other receivers besides the Tivo unit, so the second dish idea was fine with me.
Two dishes are fine. Are they just alike or is one round and the other oval?

Logical
05-21-2005, 09:13 PM

I guess not everything is bad in California, I consistently get fast and excellent service out of DTV when I call. In fact it has never been bad.

Skip Towne
05-21-2005, 09:22 PM
I guess not everything is bad in California, I consistently get fast and excellent service out of DTV when I call. In fact it has never been bad.
Yeah, I think Directv's CSR's do a good job. Where they are lacking is in tech support. They grab guys off the street (like Dishnotwork did with Denver Chief) and all they are able to do is read off a script. They don't know how these systems work so they are unable to troubleshoot individual problems.

TRR
05-21-2005, 09:28 PM
They already have started requiring a package to get the Ticket. You may be grandfathered and maybe not.

I got in WAY before they started requiring a package.

TRR
05-21-2005, 09:29 PM
That gutter isn't helping your signal strength. The storm can be several miles away. All it has to do is get betwen your dish and the satellite.

I beg to differ. I have a friend who has his completely exposed on the roof. When the rain starts pounding his dish, it takes a crap. My gutter shelters it from the rain and snow.

DTLB58
05-21-2005, 09:53 PM
I should have asked you, do you have two dishes or just one? An alternative to trimming the trees is to move the dish but I need to know which system you have.

I have two. But If the tree is the problem I don't think moving it anywhere else on my roof and still having it face south would make any difference. Small yard, Big tree.

Skip Towne
05-21-2005, 10:00 PM
I have two. But If the tree is the problem I don't think moving it anywhere else on my roof and still having it face south would make any difference. Small yard, Big tree.
That 2nd dish (for the locals) should be facing southeast. You can gain one foot in height (over the tree) for every foot you can move back away from it. A lot less costly than trimming trees. And it appears you are close to clearing the tree already since you are only partially blocked. Three feet could be the difference. Also, how long ago did they add the second dish? You might be able to make them correct it free?

htismaqe
05-22-2005, 06:15 AM
I had the same problem. There was attenuation between the LNB and receiver. They replaced the dish, they replaced the splitter box on the back, and then told me I was SOL.

So I replaced the satellite service with cable.

Gaz
05-22-2005, 07:17 AM
I have lost the DTV signal a few times [I can count them on one hand], but only during truly TORRENTIAL downpours.

We also have basic [very basic] cable, because of the cable modem. When DTV goes out, I switch to cable and am forcefully reminded of why I prefer satellite. The picture quality on cable is AWFUL. About that time, we either watch a program stored on TiVo or pop in a DVD.

Sadly, the digital cable picture is not that much better than the analog stuff [at least here in the DooDah metroplex].

I have been very happy with DirecTV and ecstatic with DirecTiVo.

xoxo~
Gaz
Would dump Cox in a heartbeat if DSL speed did not stink in his area.

Deberg_1990
05-22-2005, 10:32 AM
I have lost the DTV signal a few times [I can count them on one hand], but only during truly TORRENTIAL downpours.

We also have basic [very basic] cable, because of the cable modem. When DTV goes out, I switch to cable and am forcefully reminded of why I prefer satellite. The picture quality on cable is AWFUL. About that time, we either watch a program stored on TiVo or pop in a DVD.

Sadly, the digital cable picture is not that much better than the analog stuff [at least here in the DooDah metroplex].

I have been very happy with DirecTV and ecstatic with DirecTiVo.

xoxo~
Gaz
Would dump Cox in a heartbeat if DSL speed did not stink in his area.

Everything he just said. The picture quality of cable sucks compared to Direct TV. Direct TV DVR Rocks! My picture only goes out in hard rain storms or really dark clouds.

Earthling
05-22-2005, 11:54 AM
Ditto. As for local channels they won't give them to me at all where I'm at. At least not CBS or ABC. I do get NBC.

tomahawk kid
05-22-2005, 12:18 PM
Sounds to me like you have a dish interference problem, as others have mentioned here already.

I've had Direct TV for a year and have nothing but great things to say about it. I only lose my service in extreme weather (mostly heavy rain) and the picture is fantastic.

On the other side of the fence, I've never heard anyone say anything positive about Dish Network.

DTLB58
05-22-2005, 12:36 PM
That 2nd dish (for the locals) should be facing southeast. You can gain one foot in height (over the tree) for every foot you can move back away from it. A lot less costly than trimming trees. And it appears you are close to clearing the tree already since you are only partially blocked. Three feet could be the difference. Also, how long ago did they add the second dish? You might be able to make them correct it free?

They have my local dish pointing due south. They put local channels in last fall.

Both dishes are on the backside of my roof right after the peak so maybe I can just move it back onto the frontside of my roof a couple of feet.

Being since it has been less than a year since they installed it shouldn't the installer noticed the tree more and made a decision not to put it there?

I did go up on my roof today (now that it is sunny and 70 again) and two of the four coax cables going into a box up there were loose. I could actually turn them by hand.....Could water just have gotten in there and caused this problem?

BIG_DADDY
05-22-2005, 12:41 PM
I heard Season Ticket is $250 his year, anybody know if there's any truth to that?

dtebbe
05-22-2005, 03:40 PM
They have my local dish pointing due south. They put local channels in last fall.

Both dishes are on the backside of my roof right after the peak so maybe I can just move it back onto the frontside of my roof a couple of feet.

Being since it has been less than a year since they installed it shouldn't the installer noticed the tree more and made a decision not to put it there?

I did go up on my roof today (now that it is sunny and 70 again) and two of the four coax cables going into a box up there were loose. I could actually turn them by hand.....Could water just have gotten in there and caused this problem?

Yes, and if water has been in the cable it's probably no good. I would replace those jumpers with new coax, get everything tight, and then put coax sealant (http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=278-1645) over the connectors. I would check all the connectors, because chances are all of them were half-assed when they were installed. Once you do that go back thru the dish alignment again. I've never installed a system I couldn't get a signal of at least 85. Another thing you may want to consider (if you can use one and still get local channels) is the oval dish. It eliminates a bunch of jumpers over the old 2 dish setup, but if your locals require the 2nd dish, that may not be an option.

DT