PDA

View Full Version : Carb. Help

Boise_Chief
05-21-2005, 02:09 PM
Any one know much about carbs? I am having problems with my Carter AFB on a Dodge 413. It floods out at idle and continues to drip after shutdown. I am not familiar with the AFB and if it were a Rocchester or holley I'd assume that the floats needed adjustment. Any help is appreciated.
Sean

eazyb81
05-21-2005, 02:14 PM
keep them low and keep your protein high, then you will lose weight.

PhogPhanTim
05-21-2005, 03:06 PM
Carbs are the enemy

stumppy
05-21-2005, 03:26 PM
Sounds like a stuck float to me. But I've never been into a carter.

Simplex3
05-21-2005, 03:28 PM
keep them low and keep your protein high, then you will lose weight.
...and increase your chances at Alzheimer's disease. It's win-win.

eazyb81
05-21-2005, 05:48 PM
...and increase your chances at Alzheimer's disease. It's win-win.

hey, as long as your still skinny, who cares what happens in the future!

Taco John
05-21-2005, 06:04 PM
Carbs are brain food. They're pretty important. (http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig3/johnston5.html)

HemiEd
05-21-2005, 08:41 PM
Floats are set too high, or bad needle and seat. Simple as that. Also, on a Big Block Chrysler, once you shut them down the heat will "steep" and raise the overall temperature, sometimes causing a boil over effect. This is partially due to no water in the intake manifold.

badgirl
05-22-2005, 12:14 AM
Floats are set too high, or bad needle and seat. Simple as that. Also, on a Big Block Chrysler, once you shut them down the heat will "steep" and raise the overall temperature, sometimes causing a boil over effect. This is partially due to no water in the intake manifold.

Yea yea yea, just because your screen name is Hemied you think you got all the answers dontcha bub?

Good answer. :p

DOH!!!! I hate it when she doesn't log out.
stumppy

HemiEd
05-22-2005, 12:37 AM
Yea yea yea, just because your screen name is Hemied you think you got all the answers dontcha bub?

Good answer. :p

DOH!!!! I hate it when she doesn't log out.
stumppy

ROFL ROFL

stumppy
05-22-2005, 12:42 AM
I shouldn't be giving advice about anything. I can't even operate a bulletin board post right.

Skip Towne
05-22-2005, 12:48 AM
Just jack up the radiator cap and drive a Chevy under it.

HemiEd
05-22-2005, 01:06 AM
I shouldn't be giving advice about anything. I can't even operate a bulletin board post right.

One other thing on this motor, it has to be at least 42 years old (replaced by the 426 wedge in 64) I doubt if the thermo shield is still between the valley pan and the intake, further facilitating carb boil over after shudown. :rolleyes:

stumppy
05-22-2005, 01:14 AM
One other thing on this motor, it has to be at least 42 years old (replaced by the 426 wedge in 63) I doubt if the thermo shield is still between the valley pan and the intake, further facilitating carb boil over after shudown. :rolleyes:

Just gotta show off dontcha ?

HemiEd
05-22-2005, 01:18 AM
Just gotta show off dontcha ?

Only thread on the board that I have any thing useful to add this morning. I always smell the Roses, don't give a darn about Star Wars and find speculating about the next Royals Manager better left to others. :)

luv
05-22-2005, 01:18 AM
One other thing on this motor, it has to be at least 42 years old (replaced by the 426 wedge in 63) I doubt if the thermo shield is still between the valley pan and the intake, further facilitating carb boil over after shudown. :rolleyes:

Is this english? lol
The only thing I know about cars is what I learned each time my old car died from something. Alternator, battery, catalitic(sp?) converter, where to put the washer fluid, how to check the oil (icluding how much needs to be in it and what color it should be). Ummmmm, I think that's pretty much it for my knowledge on cars. Oh and (not from personal experience) never drive your car without the radiator cap on. Big no-no.

HemiEd
05-22-2005, 01:22 AM
Is this english? lol
The only thing I know about cars is what I learned each time my old car died from something. Alternator, battery, catalitic(sp?) converter, where to put the washer fluid, how to check the oil (icluding how much needs to be in it and what color it should be). Ummmmm, I think that's pretty much it for my knowledge on cars. Oh and (not from personal experience) never drive your car without the radiator cap on. Big no-no.

I am impressed, more than my wife or daughters know, I think. :doh!:

luv
05-22-2005, 01:24 AM
I am impressed, more than my wife or daughters know, I think. :doh!:
Have them drive a 1990 Ford Tempo for a few years, and explain what's wrong with it to them each time it dies.

stumppy
05-22-2005, 01:28 AM
Only thread on the board that I have any thing useful to add this morning. I always smell the Roses, don't give a darn about Star Wars and find speculating about the next Royals Manager better left to others. :)

Just wing it. Everyone else does.

On a side note.
Have you ever heard abything about Chrysler using sheet metal and glass that did not meet the thickness requirements of the feds back in the 60's?
They were used on the Belvedre I think in order to make them lighter and faster. I remember seeing a tv program about it awhile back but haven't found anyone else who seen the show or read about it. Hoping you might be able to verify this cause I'm startin to think I dreamed it all.

HemiEd
05-22-2005, 01:31 AM
Have them drive a 1990 Ford Tempo for a few years, and explain what's wrong with it to them each time it dies.

This would necessitate some mechanical knowledge. :clap:

HemiEd
05-22-2005, 01:38 AM
Just wing it. Everyone else does.

On a side note.
Have you ever heard abything about Chrysler using sheet metal and glass that did not meet the thickness requirements of the feds back in the 60's?
They were used on the Belvedre I think in order to make them lighter and faster. I remember seeing a tv program about it awhile back but haven't found anyone else who seen the show or read about it. Hoping you might be able to verify this cause I'm startin to think I dreamed it all.

On several of the factory race cars, they worked with Corning to make a thinner glass for weight reduction. Many of these cars came with the battery in the trunk, alluminum bumpers, fenders and hoods.
The one I know the most about was the 68 Hemi Barracudas and Darts. They not only had the thin Corning glass, they had no window regulators, no exhaust manifolds (you provided headers) and no paint from the factory, they came in primer. They had the little van seats as well. :p

luv
05-22-2005, 01:43 AM
Okay, this seems to be the only thread alive right now. I wish I had more to contribute, but I don't. So , what do you think of a...say...2000 Ford Contour SE? After I got one, I heard it was basically the Tempo, only with a different body style. I haven't had any major problems with it yet. Replaced the fuel pump while it was still under warranty (thank goodness). Any warnings for me?

HemiEd
05-22-2005, 01:50 AM
Okay, this seems to be the only thread alive right now. I wish I had more to contribute, but I don't. So , what do you think of a...say...2000 Ford Contour SE? After I got one, I heard it was basically the Tempo, only with a different body style. I haven't had any major problems with it yet. Replaced the fuel pump while it was still under warranty (thank goodness). Any warnings for me?

On this new stuff, I do not think you can go wrong. I honestly think about anything you buy short of a Suzuki or Daewoo is going to be a good car. I do not have much knowledge technically on them. I take them to the Dealer like most people since they require so many special tools. Like yours, mine are under warranty as well. Props to you for buying an American car by the way! :thumb:

C-Mac
05-22-2005, 01:51 AM
Just jack up the radiator cap and drive a Chevy under it.

Always worked for me :thumb:

luv
05-22-2005, 01:52 AM
On this new stuff, I do not think you can go wrong. I honestly think about anything you buy short of a Suzuki is going to be a good car. I do not have much knowledge technically on them. I take them to the Dealer like most people since they require so many special tools. Like yours, mine are under warranty as well. Props to you for buying an American car by the way! :thumb:

Well then, I guess I won't mention the '93 Honda Accord I drove between having the Tempo and the Contour. STFU

HemiEd
05-22-2005, 01:56 AM
Well then, I guess I won't mention the '93 Honda Accord I drove between having the Tempo and the Contour. STFU

Hey, I strayed once in 1980 to a Toyota Celica. The American cars were junk then, and their reputation is still on the mend even though their cars are great now. At least you came back!

HemiEd
05-22-2005, 01:58 AM
Always worked for me :thumb:

They make good boat motors. :)

Ultra Peanut
05-22-2005, 02:30 AM
"I'm getting a lethal injection because my son won't eat a potato!"

Rausch
05-22-2005, 02:40 AM
"I'm getting a lethal injection because my son won't eat a potato!"

Set him up with a double-wide German chick.

Not only will he become too timid to talk but lack of carbs will no longer be a problem....

htismaqe
05-22-2005, 04:57 AM
Any one know much about carbs? I am having problems with my Carter AFB on a Dodge 413. It floods out at idle and continues to drip after shutdown. I am not familiar with the AFB and if it were a Rocchester or holley I'd assume that the floats needed adjustment. Any help is appreciated.
Sean

Just put your finger on it and inhale. When you're just about to run out of lung, pull your finger off and inhale deeply.

Boise_Chief
05-22-2005, 09:08 AM
One other thing on this motor, it has to be at least 42 years old (replaced by the 426 wedge in 64) I doubt if the thermo shield is still between the valley pan and the intake, further facilitating carb boil over after shudown. :rolleyes:

Actually it's a 71-72 71' m-400 72 winnebago. They used the 413-1 in 71-73 in the m300/350 and 400. I'ts a industrial motor they used in the big farm truscks and Rv's.

I lost internet and got pissed last night so I went out and bought a Edelbrock 600 with manual choke and manual secondaries. It works muy bueno. I think I have finally got this thing running right. But since your the resident bb mopar guy, do you have any recomendations on generating more torque. HP isn't as important as torque in this big bastage.

I have been re-building this since feb and have got it fairly close now.
Pix http://groups.msn.com/ClassicWinnebagoMotorhomes/1971chieftainboisechief.msnw

stumppy
05-22-2005, 10:59 AM
On several of the factory race cars, they worked with Corning to make a thinner glass for weight reduction. Many of these cars came with the battery in the trunk, alluminum bumpers, fenders and hoods.
The one I know the most about was the 68 Hemi Barracudas and Darts. They not only had the thin Corning glass, they had no window regulators, no exhaust manifolds (you provided headers) and no paint from the factory, they came in primer. They had the little van seats as well. :p

I knew I wasn't crazy....er....wrong about that. Thanks for the confirmation.

By the way, it's official now. There's no hope for you.:D

HemiEd
05-23-2005, 02:08 AM
Actually it's a 71-72 71' m-400 72 winnebago. They used the 413-1 in 71-73 in the m300/350 and 400. I'ts a industrial motor they used in the big farm truscks and Rv's.

I lost internet and got pissed last night so I went out and bought a Edelbrock 600 with manual choke and manual secondaries. It works muy bueno. I think I have finally got this thing running right. But since your the resident bb mopar guy, do you have any recomendations on generating more torque. HP isn't as important as torque in this big bastage.

I have been re-building this since feb and have got it fairly close now.
Pix http://groups.msn.com/ClassicWinnebagoMotorhomes/1971chieftainboisechief.msnw

I forgot about those 413 industrial motors, they did not need horsepower as bad as torque so they stayed with the smaller bore of the 413.
Smart move, I have put those "Eddy" carbs on a lot of stuff.
Torque is leverage. Your Motor has the max stroke that they put in a stock big block Chrysler, 3:75. You can get more torque by adding the fairly common "aftermarket" 4:15 stroke crank. That will require new pistons as well.

I knew I wasn't crazy....er....wrong about that. Thanks for the confirmation.

By the way, it's official now. There's no hope for you.:D

ROFL

grandllama
05-23-2005, 02:11 AM
I've always found it helps to cut out breads and other starches....

er,

shit....

wrong carb....

J Diddy
05-23-2005, 02:13 AM
I've always found it helps to cut out breads and other starches....

er,

shit....

wrong carb....

right carb

wrong thread