PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Deal from Blockbuster if You Switch from Netflix

Miles
05-21-2005, 04:38 PM
From what I have read blockbuster online kind of sucks but this is a pretty nice deal. If you cancel your netfix account, blockbuster will give you 2 free months and a free new release DVD.

http://www.blockbuster.com/homepages/displayPage.action?channel1=Movies&channel2=walmart&nav=false

petegz28
05-21-2005, 05:38 PM
I love Netfilx. Nuff said!

Athis
05-21-2005, 06:03 PM
Blockbuster sucks...I had the online stuff for about 6 months and the movies were taking longer and longer to arrive. Then the movies were not available. They screwed up...I've heard alot of good things about Netflix, I think I am going to give them a chance.

brent102fire
05-21-2005, 06:30 PM
I've had Netflix for about 3 years now...they still have a very fast turn-around time. I am very happy with their service and movie selection. I'm not going to change...

petegz28
05-21-2005, 06:35 PM
I have had 1 problem with Netflix. They sent 1 movie that had a broken DVD. Other than that they kick ass!

KevB
05-21-2005, 06:56 PM
I've had Netflix for about 3 years now...they still have a very fast turn-around time. I am very happy with their service and movie selection. I'm not going to change...

Seconded.....

Blockbuster fleeced me for the last time about two years ago...had Netflix ever since and I'm not changing.

KCWolfman
05-21-2005, 06:59 PM
We had blockbuster for about 6 months. No problems and no hassles, but we just don't watch movies enough to justify the cost.

CosmicPal
05-21-2005, 07:15 PM
Blockbuster is the most ignorant company in the history of American business; and much like Wal-Mart had destroyed small-town America and Mom-and-Pop stores, Blockbuster killed the independent video stores.

The fact of the matter is, I don't give a flying sh*t about Blockbuster since I have ON-Demand and a DVR now. But, they didn't believe in the franchise competition clause- their only goal was to monopolize the video rental industry, even if it meant buying out an independent video retailer across the street from an existing Blockbuster- so now you have two competing Blockbuster franchises across the street from each other and there can only be one winner- Blockbuster. They didn't care if their franchises lost money, just as long as they could remove all competing independent stores from dipping into their pot of gold.

I hope Blockbuster goes down. They are already losing big-time to modern cable technology and it won't be long before they are nothing more than a bad memory on the American economic past.

Pants
05-21-2005, 07:20 PM
Blockbuster is the most ignorant company in the history of American business; and much like Wal-Mart had destroyed small-town America and Mom-and-Pop stores, Blockbuster killed the independent video stores.

The fact of the matter is, I don't give a flying sh*t about Blockbuster since I have ON-Demand and a DVR now. But, they didn't believe in the franchise competition clause- their only goal was to monopolize the video rental industry, even if it meant buying out an independent video retailer across the street from an existing Blockbuster- so now you have two competing Blockbuster franchises across the street from each other and there can only be one winner- Blockbuster. They didn't care if their franchises lost money, just as long as they could remove all competing independent stores from dipping into their pot of gold.

I hope Blockbuster goes down. They are already losing big-time to modern cable technology and it won't be long before they are nothing more than a bad memory on the American economic past.

Go ahead, tell us how you REALLY feel, Cosmic. ROFL

Infidel Goat
05-21-2005, 07:21 PM
I don't think this move is intended to get loyal Netflix customers.

Blockbuster is trying to get the Wal-Mart crowd (since Wal-Mart has officially waved the white flag in the on-line movie rental business) that is being given the offical option of becoming Netflix customers.

Those who have been using Wal-Mart may be inclined to give Blockbuster a try if they are offering a better deal than Netflix.

Smart move by Blockbuster. At least it didn't take them two years to figure out they needed to respond to this potential customer base. . .

--Infidel Goat

Pants
05-21-2005, 07:22 PM

Blockbuster is trying to get the Wal-Mart crowd (since Wal-Mart has officially waved the white flag in the on-line movie rental business) that is being given the offical option of becoming Netflix customers.

Those who have been using Wal-Mart may be inclined to give Blockbuster a try if they are offering a better deal than Netflix.

Smart move by Blockbuster. At least it didn't take them two years to figure out they needed to respond to this potential customer base. . .

--Infidel Goat

Well, they're targeting Netflix customres by saying "switch from Netflix to us". :shrug:

petegz28
05-21-2005, 07:37 PM

--Infidel Goat

Except now Wal-Mart is using NetFlix. :)

Ultra Peanut
05-21-2005, 07:53 PM
I have had 1 problem with Netflix. They sent 1 movie that had a broken DVD. Other than that they kick ass!Yeah. When I got My Neighbor Totoro for the first time, it was cracked all to hell. Sent it back, got another, and everything was cool, though.

Netflix rox0rs my sox0rz.

Ultra Peanut
05-21-2005, 07:54 PM
Wait, Netflix vanquished Wal-Mart? Even more reason to stay with them!

Pants
05-21-2005, 07:56 PM
Wait, Netflix vanquished Wal-Mart? Even more reason to stay with them!

They'll vanquish Blockbuster Online as well.

Ultra Peanut
05-21-2005, 08:02 PM
They'll vanquish Blockbuster Online as well.That, much like Shay, is a Given.

Too obscure?

jAZ
05-21-2005, 08:37 PM
I am in the middle of switching the other direction. I started out with Blockbuster, but I've grown sick of the 28 skipped movie titles, scrached discs and misdirected movies.

I've recently started my 2 weeks free with NetFlix. I put a bunch of hard to find Blockbuster movies at the top of the NetFlix queue. I've gotten each one without skipping.

During that time, I finally (2 months later) got one of the hard to find movies from my Blockbuster queue. It arrived and wouldn't play. I immediately moved the title up to the top of my NetFlix queue, and had it within 2 days.

You play about $2 more for NetFlix, but it seems well worth it to me, so far.

Deberg_1990
05-21-2005, 10:22 PM

They were also extremly slow to catch on to the DVD phenomenom. I remember back in like 1999 when i first bought a DVD player, Blockbuster had ZERO DVD's for rental. I had to go rent from Hollywood Video. Blockbuster didnt start renting until about 2000-2001. They originally were opposed to DVD rentals and only wanted to sell them. Pricks.

KCWolfman
05-21-2005, 10:23 PM

They and Hollywood Video put up nice competition against each other in KC

Ultra Peanut
05-21-2005, 10:24 PM
Too obscure?Indeed!

alnorth
05-21-2005, 10:55 PM
Quick question. I am moving to Des Moines IA for at least the next few years. I had been thinking about subscribing to Netflix, but the service quality varies depending on where you live in the country. I know at least a few Chiefs fans live in Iowa, I was wondering how many days it takes from the day you mail back a movie till you get a new one on average... Any Iowa Chief fans out there to shed some light? (If Blockbuster is awesome in Des Moines, lemme know, but from the reviews, Netflix seems the way to go)

Saggysack
05-21-2005, 11:02 PM
I have never heard anyone say anything good about Blockbuster other than KCWolfman. Personally, I have had Netflix going on 3yrs now and haven't had one problem. Blockbuster could offer me a free year and I still wouldn't take them up on the offer.

Miles
05-21-2005, 11:10 PM
Guess im about to see just how bad blockbuster is. Im hoping that since i live in a large city they may have a more competent distributioin center here.

I was at the end of a billing cycle with netfix so i had nothing to lose.

Pants
05-21-2005, 11:18 PM
Indeed!

Are you talking about the Newcastle keeper?

Back to topic -

And yeah, I've had BB for a month and it sucks. Was supposed to get a movie on friday, got it on monday. Ordered the Chiefs 2003 DVD, never got it, it went right back to them upon shipment (all I ever got was the empty envelope). Needless to say, I'm not continuing their Online service. I do, however like the "No late fees" policy, it's quite good.

Ultra Peanut
05-21-2005, 11:25 PM
Are you talking about the Newcastle keeper?:clap:

BigRedChief
05-21-2005, 11:45 PM
yep Blockbuster can kiss my as# too. Netflix rocks.

Gaz
05-22-2005, 06:06 AM
I have not tried Blockbuster on line, but I have been a NetFlix customer for a few years now and have no complaints at all. Huge library and quick turnarounds. I would recommend NetFlix to anyone who wants to see films you cannot find at the local video store. I get the new releases at the local Dillons [Blockbuster is WAY more expensive]. I get “The Seven Samurai” and “The Third Man” from NetFlix.

xoxo~
Gaz
Happy customer.