PDA

View Full Version : NFBT: Best current TV show…

Gaz
05-22-2005, 08:28 AM
I would have to go with “The Shield.” It brutal, sometimes too brutal for my confort. But the characters are very real and it is well-written. My only beef is that they are turning Aceveda into a bit of a sneering villain. I understand his need for power and control, but one can be a villain without being a caricature [see Hans in “Die Hard”]. He strikes me as the only one-dimensional character in an otherwise three-dimensional cast.

HONORABLE MENTION:
“Battlestar Galactica” was a very pleasant surprise [particularly after the wretched original]. Movies from the Sci-Fi channel have been mostly abominations, and I expected the same from this one. BG is a big exception to the “oh no…a Sci-Fi movie” rule. Olmos and McDonnell give the show some heft. The emphasis is on drama rather than science fiction, which makes it a winner, IMO.

I still watch “ER,” but it has lost a considerable amount of steam. Still, it is usually worth an hour of my time [and I think Parminder Nagra is kinda hot].

“Good Eats.” Oh shut up! A.B. is entertaining. That is all I really ask from television.

“Project Greenlight.” The only reality TV that gets any of my valuable time. I eagerly anticipate the release of “Feast.”

xoxo~
Gaz
Slowly cleaning out the TiVo hard drive.

Ultra Peanut
05-22-2005, 08:32 AM
1a. Arrested Development - Most brilliant, hilarious show in TV history.
1b. Veronica Mars - One of the most consistently great first seasons of a show ever.
(massive gap)
Everything else

Good Eats and Project Greenlight are the shows you mentioned that I watch, and while horror's not my usual thing, I may check out Feast when it's released. I think I liked PG for two reasons: (A) I felt for Gulager. Even I'm not as completely anti-social as he was early on when forced into situations like that, but I know what it's like to be introverted to the extreme, and (B) I really think the whole process of fighting to put together a movie is fascinating. Also, I think I'd like the job of that guy who was like the lead editor or whatever, piecing together the film.

Other shows I've been watching regularly of late are Lost, Cheap Seats (hate the addition of a studio audience, though... WTF?! I'm just there for the Sklar-on-Sklar action, thanks.), Family Guy (!), Amehrican Dad, The Office (US), Jeopardy!, Robot Chicken, Fullmetal Alchemist, Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex, and just recently, Samurai Champloo (Shinichiro Watanabe + massive hype = promising). Shows I'll watch regularly when they return are Venture Brothers, Reno 911!, Chappelle's Show, and ATHF.

Toss in sports, and there you have my viewing habits.

Slowly cleaning out the TiVo hard drive.I cleaned it out a little too well this morning... there's nothing on there I haven't ****ing seen before now! :banghead:

Malcor
05-22-2005, 08:32 AM
Lost. Lost is the only show I bother to sit down and watch. Mythbusters is good and fun. For old times sake, I'll say the Simpsons even though its not what it used to be.

OmahaChief
05-22-2005, 08:37 AM
Lost without a doubt is the best show on network TV followed closely by CSI. The only shows I try to make time to watch are Lost, CSI and Survivor. All others I TIVO. If you include HBO in the list then I make time for their Sunday night lineup.

4th and Long
05-22-2005, 08:54 AM
There is no television.
There is only the internet.
There is no television.
http://img141.echo.cx/img141/3693/internetdog7kh.jpg
There is no television.
There is no television.

Ultra Peanut
05-22-2005, 08:56 AM
Dog: "I admit, it's a combover."

Seriously, that freaks me out.

4th and Long
05-22-2005, 08:57 AM
Dog: "I admit, it's a combover."

Seriously, that freaks me out.
ROFL

jeffrho68
05-22-2005, 08:59 AM
Deadwood is the only show I make sure to watch every week.

Cute dog ya got there 4th. It kinda looks like he has a comb-over!

jeffrho68
05-22-2005, 09:01 AM
Damn! Psi beat me to it!

Gaz
05-22-2005, 09:04 AM
Mrs. Gaz and I took “Arrested Development” for a test-drive. Neither of us liked it. Just not our kind of humor. Mean-spirited show that depends on embarrassment for humor.

I had no interest at all in “Lost.” Maybe I’ll snag the DVD from NetFlix when it is released.

I watch the “CSI” reruns on Spike. It is okay, but I am content to miss the first-run stuff and wait for reruns. We TiVo’ed the season finale [with all the attendant Quentin Tarentino hype] and was somewhat underwhelmed. We tried “CSI: NY” [too darned dark, desperately so, IMO] and did not like it. Never even looked at “CSI: Miami.”

Zero interest in “Survivor” or any of the plague of reality TV shows that invest the dial.

That’s why there are a bazillion channels out there, I guess.

xoxo~
Gaz
Somewhere off in the TV fringe.

4th and Long
05-22-2005, 09:05 AM
Deadwood is the only show I make sure to watch every week.

Cute dog ya got there 4th. It kinda looks like he has a comb-over!
Let me put this ownership of the dog rumor to rest.

*The setting is a shanty hotel, somewhere in France. Enter Inspector Clouseau. Behind the desk is an old man. Laying quietly on the floor is a small dog*

Inspector Clouseau: Does your dog bite?

Old Man: No ...

Inspector Clouseau: Nice doggy.

*Inspector Clouseau leans down to pet the dog and it attacks him and chews into his hand*

Inspector Clouseau: I thought you said your dog did not bite!!!

Old Man: That ... is not my dog.

Ultra Peanut
05-22-2005, 09:08 AM
I'm... wounded.

Mean-spirited show that depends on embarrassment for humor.That's pretty much the most inaccurate description for the show you could hope to write.

Even when the characters are at their peaks of insensitivity or hatefulness, there's an underlying sweetness and downright love present in the show that's just perfect and real. And that's as Ann as the nose on plain's face.

My faith in Gaz has been shattered. Cue the sad Snoopy music.

Baby Lee
05-22-2005, 09:21 AM
Deadwood is the best at present, bar none. I haven't seen early Hill Street Blues, but barring that possibility, I'd submit it as the best product ever placed on the television medium.

Lost is the best network show. Gorgeous 'sets,' gorgeous 'talent,' and the most savvy mix of mystery, ambiguous revelations, and the slow construction of massive backstories for such a large ensemble. All ties together to keep you hooked.

Arrested Development is the funniest show out there.

Gilmore Girls is STILL the smartest written.

And if a single episode could catipult a show to the top, last week's House has transformed it from a quirky, fun, intense way to waste an hour, into a potentially brilliant show.

Not presently in season, but I'd put Rescue Me above The Shield, although I love both shows.

Deberg_1990
05-22-2005, 09:23 AM
My favorite right now would have to be "Lost" followed closely by "The Shield" and "Nip/Tuck"

The FX channel was total crap when it started like 10 years ago but has slowly turned itself around with some great quality shows. Im really looking forward to this summer with the return of "Nip/Tuck" and the new Bocho series about Iraq "Over There"

Gaz
05-22-2005, 09:28 AM
I guess “Deadwood” is another one that needs to go in the NetFlix queue.

We tried "House" a few times, but it turned into "weird disease of the week," so we bailed.

xoxo~
Gaz
Has “Dead Like Me” sitting in his queue right now.

Bowser
05-22-2005, 09:29 AM
I try to catch the following -

Law and Order
Law and Order: SVU
Smallville
The Shield
Battlestar Galactica
Scrubs (an empty half hour to be sure, but it makes me laugh)
CSI (the original, not the offshoots)
Family Guy
Futurama

I really miss Deadwood since we gave up our movie channels. And I relly need a Tivo.

Gaz
05-22-2005, 09:35 AM
...Even when the characters are at their peaks of insensitivity or hatefulness, there's an underlying sweetness and downright love present in the show that's just perfect and real. And that's as Ann as the nose on plain's face...

I did not have access to the “extended scenes” version of the show, so I did not see the loving people you describe. I just saw the ones on the broadcast version.

xoxo~
Gaz
Had the same problem with the “Darko” dud.

Baby Lee
05-22-2005, 09:35 AM
I guess “Deadwood” is another one that needs to go in the NetFlix queue.

We tried "House" a few times, but it turned into "weird disease of the week," so we bailed.

xoxo~
Gaz
Has “Dead Like Me” sitting in his queue right now.

On Deadwood, be prepared for the unprecedented level of profanity. If potty mouths are a deal breaker for you, I wouldn't even try.
But if you just take it as the parlance of the type of people who settled the place and let the stories unfold, it's . . . Shakespearian is the most apt single word.

On Dead Like Me, be prepared for Wonderfalls 2.0, a great show cancelled too soon. Great ride, but a short one. [Right now, only season 1 is available on DVD, and it was cancelled at the end of season 2].

Gaz
05-22-2005, 09:37 AM
I have heard that about “Deadwood.” As long as there is a purpose behind it, I can tolerate profanity.

xoxo~
Gaz
Tougher than he looks.

Ultra Peanut
05-22-2005, 09:40 AM
I did not have access to the “extended scenes” version of the show, so I did not see the loving people you describe. I just saw the ones on the broadcast version.

xoxo~
Gaz
Had the same problem with the “Darko” dud.
Extended scenes? Huh?

Baby Lee
05-22-2005, 09:44 AM
I have heard that about “Deadwood.” As long as there is a purpose behind it, I can tolerate profanity.

xoxo~
Gaz
Tougher than he looks.

Put it this way, my mom hates profanity, always has. And this show really piles it on. Not mention one character's penchant for summarizing events via monologuing to the bobbing head of the whore on his joint.
But the show is SOOOO good, I'm insisting she watch it. I've given her the tapes, but she and dad are busy gardening 'til dark this time of year.

Baby Lee
05-22-2005, 09:45 AM
Extended scenes? Huh?
He's suggesting that anything other than mean-spirited embarassment humor MUST'VE been somewhere other than the episodes he watched.

Ultra Peanut
05-22-2005, 09:49 AM
He's suggesting that anything other than mean-spirited embarassment humor MUST'VE been somewhere other than the episodes he watched.Kinda thought so, but is he really trying to tell the guy in the $6,000 suit how to run the business? Come on!

Zebedee DuBois
05-22-2005, 09:58 AM
I really really like Malcom in the Middle

Not every episode is strong, but the strong ones are classic.

The way Fox schedules the show is atrocious.

trndobrd
05-22-2005, 09:58 AM
Put it this way, my mom hates profanity, always has. And this show really piles it on. Not mention one character's penchant for summarizing events via monologuing to the bobbing head of the whore on his joint.
But the show is SOOOO good, I'm insisting she watch it. I've given her the tapes, but she and dad are busy gardening 'til dark this time of year.

I purchased season #1 on DVD several weeks ago. Loved it! Any show that features two young teens being severely beaten, then shot in the face probably isn't going to skimp on the rough language either.

Can't wait to see season #2.

KevB
05-22-2005, 10:04 AM
Not presently in season, but I'd put Rescue Me above The Shield, although I love both shows.

I agree, surprised Rescue Me hasn't been mentioned yet. Hilarious show.

Oh how the might have fallen: Sopranos goes without a mention. It's still a good show (when they decide to make them), but it has lost it's luster.

Chiefnj
05-22-2005, 10:12 AM
The only shows I really watch lately are:

1. Deadwood.
2. Lost.
3. Desperate Housewives.
4. the deadliest catch - crab fishing series on Discovery.

Deberg_1990
05-22-2005, 10:18 AM
Anyone catch the Tarantino directed CSI edpisode the other day? So far ive watched about 30 minutes of it and the trademark Tarantino stuff is all there. The gore, the long extended takes with just two people talking about stuff. The pop culture references...interesting stuff. Ill have to watch the whole thing when i get the time. Ive never even seen CSI before. Im not sure what drew him to that show??

Valiant
05-22-2005, 10:25 AM
Smallville

Venture Bros.

Gaz
05-22-2005, 10:33 AM
The season finale of “CSI” was okay. I thought it looked like any of the other episodes I have seen. That is not to say it was bad or anything, but I did not see any big difference that Tarantino brought to the lil’ screen.

xoxo~
Gaz
Enjoyed it, but…

htismaqe
05-22-2005, 10:33 AM
Put another "arrested development" on the fire...

SCTrojan
05-22-2005, 10:35 AM
I watch Gilmore Girls, Two and a half Men, According to Jim and Joan of Arcadia regularly. They may not be the best in terms of acting or social relevance, but I find them entertaining.

I don't watch any other TV shows with any regularity.

OmahaChief
05-22-2005, 11:03 AM
The only shows I really watch lately are:

1. Deadwood.
2. Lost.
3. Desperate Housewives.
4. the deadliest catch - crab fishing series on Discovery.

Love the Deadliest Catch. This second crab season sure is more deadly then the first.

Demonpenz
05-22-2005, 11:10 AM
Well ususally i don't watch TV because i am out at a sports bar hitting on old woman. I used to like six feet under and the shield. ATHF is always good. Threes company is good too. Luckily there is enough eye candy girls my age in my complex to keep me from watching too much tube

BigMeatballDave
05-22-2005, 12:00 PM
Scrubs
Lost

BigMeatballDave
05-22-2005, 12:04 PM
I understand The Office is coming back this fall. If so, its probably mt new favorite show.

Also, Grey's Anatomy and Desperate Housewives get honorable mentions...

|Zach|
05-22-2005, 12:05 PM
Scrubs.

Jenson71
05-22-2005, 12:19 PM
Ive never even seen CSI before. Im not sure what drew him to that show??

Tarantino said he thinks the lead character is one of the coolest characters on TV in a long time.

KcMizzou
05-22-2005, 12:20 PM
"Lost" is the only show I make a point to watch. Although, I'm sure I'm missing plenty of good ones...

Frazod
05-22-2005, 12:21 PM
1. Deadwood
2. Lost
3. CSI
4. Battlestar Galactica

Two other shows that I really liked, Enterprise and Third Watch, got whacked this month. :grr:

100% agree with Gaz's assessment of reality shows.

alanm
05-22-2005, 12:31 PM
24 has been pretty good lately. The season finale is tomorrow.

Rudy lost the toss
05-22-2005, 12:32 PM
I watch Gilmore Girls, Two and a half Men, According to Jim and Joan of Arcadia regularly. They may not be the best in terms of acting or social relevance, but I find them entertaining.

Gilmore Girls is the single most annoying television show ever created. I can't stand how fast they talk and the characters' sarcastic tones throughout the entire show isn't funny at all, it's just stupid

Thig Lyfe
05-22-2005, 12:40 PM
1. Lost
2. Arrested Development
3. The Office (BBC)
4. Family Guy
5. The Office (NBC)
6. Conan
7. Futurama

Those are the top 7 shows that I try to catch.

Smed1065
05-22-2005, 12:50 PM
Scrubs is the best show. I do not watch much TV except in Football season!

Gaz
05-22-2005, 12:50 PM
I bailed on “24” after I watched most of last season out of sheer inertia. Mrs. Gaz has watched them and says they are pretty good.

Don’t that just figure?

xoxo~
Gaz
Lost interest early last season.

Bwana
05-22-2005, 12:59 PM
24 has been pretty good lately. The season finale is tomorrow.

Yep. I love that show along with Deadwood.

Braincase
05-22-2005, 01:04 PM
1. Deadwood. Only show I watch religiously.
2. Battlestar Galactica. Darn you Sci-Fi Channel! I was that close, but BG & the occassional Stargate SG-1 keep bringing me back.
3. MXC. You just gotta love those crazy Japanese game shows.
4. Whatever is on the History Channel
5. Whatever is on the Science Channel
6. Whatever is on the Military Channel
7. Whatever is on National Geographic

Deberg_1990
05-22-2005, 01:07 PM
Gilmore Girls is the single most annoying television show ever created. I can't stand how fast they talk and the characters' sarcastic tones throughout the entire show isn't funny at all, it's just stupid

Agreed. Sure the dialouge may be wity and all that but "real" people just dont talk that way at all. Dawsons Creek was like that as well. IM sorry, "real" High School kids dont talk like that.

Baby Lee
05-22-2005, 01:39 PM

Not anymore. Joan of Arcadia is fugging cancelled.
So we'll never know if it was gonna turn into another Tru Calling, but it sure followed Tru into the dustbin.

Rain Man
05-22-2005, 01:41 PM
1. The Simpsons
2. Arrested Development
3. Malcolm in the Middle

Baby Lee
05-22-2005, 01:41 PM
See now, the very reasons you hate are the reasons I love it. Reminds me of the witty, dialog driven, comedies of the 50's.

Rain Man
05-22-2005, 01:50 PM
I really really like Malcom in the Middle

Not every episode is strong, but the strong ones are classic.

The way Fox schedules the show is atrocious.

Oh, yeah. They've had some misses, but most of the time that show is awesome. I'm disappointed that we don't see as much of Francis any more, and I think they hurt the show when they had him get married. He can't be as offbeat as he was in the early shows.

And someone at Fox should be flogged for the way Malcolm is scheduled. It's really frustrating to turn on the TV on Sunday night and find out that they've pre-empted it for the fourth straight week with something like amputee lacrosse championships.

Baby Lee
05-22-2005, 01:55 PM
And someone at Fox should be flogged for the way Malcolm is scheduled. It's really frustrating to turn on the TV on Sunday night and find out that they've pre-empted it for the fourth straight week with something like amputee lacrosse championships.
Hell yeah!! Fugging NFL and it's overr. . . Never mind.

Actually, King of the Hill and Futurama got pissed on way more over Sunday night slotting.

chief4life
05-22-2005, 02:03 PM
24 in my opinion is the best show on tv right now :thumb:

big nasty kcnut
05-22-2005, 03:29 PM
My fav is wwe raw and smackdown
lost
stump the schwab any time there sport trivia i'm there
royals baseball
family guy
justice league unlimited
the ultimate fighter

ILChief
05-22-2005, 03:37 PM
The Office
Law and Order
Law and Order SVU
The Apprentice
Desperate Houswives

big nasty kcnut
05-22-2005, 03:44 PM
The office also good.

Bob Dole
05-22-2005, 03:47 PM
King of the Hill.

Nzoner
05-22-2005, 04:31 PM
Make it a 3rd for Law & Order SVU,it's the only show that I make sure I have time to watch.

milkman
05-22-2005, 05:04 PM
Smallville

Venture Bros.

Smallville is the only show left I that I make sure I find the time to watch.
Joan of Arcadia was the other one, and I am just now finding out that it's been canceled.

Damn! :mad:

old_geezer
05-22-2005, 05:45 PM
On Deadwood, be prepared for the unprecedented level of profanity. If potty mouths are a deal breaker for you, I wouldn't even try.
But if you just take it as the parlance of the type of people who settled the place and let the stories unfold, it's . . . Shakespearian is the most apt single word.

On Dead Like Me, be prepared for Wonderfalls 2.0, a great show cancelled too soon. Great ride, but a short one. [Right now, only season 1 is available on DVD, and it was cancelled at the end of season 2].

I never could get into Deadwood. The constant barrage of profanity did bother me and keep me from focusing on the story. I can't imagine any one person cussing that much - let alone a whole town full of the same. And least you think I'm a prude, Dead Like Me is the only tv show I tried not to miss every week. The quirky humor was perfect for me.

I also bought and watched Wonderfalls and Firefly at the recommendation of Baby Lee. Fantastic shows that deserved longer runs. Are there any more shows out there in a similar vein?

milkman
05-22-2005, 05:55 PM
I never could get into Deadwood. The constant barrage of profanity did bother me and keep me from focusing on the story. I can't imagine any one person cussing that much - let alone a whole town full of the same. And least you think I'm a prude, Dead Like Me is the only tv show I tried not to miss every week. The quirky humor was perfect for me.

I also bought and watched Wonderfalls and Firefly at the recommendation of Baby Lee. Fantastic shows that deserved longer runs. Are there any more shows out there in a similar vein?

I never even heard of Firefly, but Wonder Falls was a great show.

I wish the networks would give some of these shows a chance to grow an audience like they used to years ago.
Didn't Cheers start out with really poor ratings in it's first season?

Baby Lee also mentioned Tru Calling, which I really liked as well.

Nightfyre
05-22-2005, 05:56 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned Stargate SG-1.

I have never been confronted with more issues of ethics and moralities in any TV show I have seen. That being said I watched the first 7 seasons in under a month....

Baby Lee
05-22-2005, 05:59 PM

Firefly fans should know that, since the show rocked and didn't get a decent chance at Fox, they're bringing the saga to the BIG SCREEN.

Tentative title is 'Serenity' after the name of the ship.

Ultra Peanut
05-22-2005, 08:47 PM
FOX is stupid, but how the hell did they **** up Firefly so bad? The pilot was excellent, yet they decided to air it out of order?!

The only thing that's keeping me from racing through the DVDs is that I know there's nothing left after I'm through except the movie. :(

Logical
05-22-2005, 09:13 PM
1. House
2. CSI
3. American Dreams
4. Smallville
5. Alias
6. Gray's Anatomy
7. CSI Miami
8. Crossing Jordan
9. Everwood
10. NCIS
11.Medical Investigatin
12. Numbers
13. Boston Legal
14. Blind Justice
14. Scrubs (used to be in my top 10 fell way off this season)
15. Joey/Cold Case (basically a tie)

ER is a don't miss but man it is falling downhill really damn fast.

I hate Law and Order in all its forms.
I hate the zillion Primetime news shows
I am dissappointed with the current set of HBO TV dramas they used to be can't miss TV

Logical
05-22-2005, 09:16 PM

To me it seems like profanity, for profanities sake. I have no problem with profanity, in fact I find profanity laced comedy a riot. Somehow drama filled with it is distracting when done to the extent it is on Deadwood.

Baby Lee
05-22-2005, 09:18 PM
ER is a don't miss but man it is falling downhill really damn fast.
I thought that the last episode did an excellent job of showing the torch subtly being passed.

I am dissappointed with the current set of HBO TV dramas they used to be can't miss TV
Deadwood is the best they've ever had, and that includes the Sopranos, which I love.
Carnivale had a disappointing end, more disappointing in that it ended prematurely than in the WTF finale episode.
No matter how impenatrable the storyline, it was a gorgeous show.

Baby Lee
05-22-2005, 09:19 PM
To me it seems like profanity, for profanities sake. I have no problem with profanity, in fact I find profanity laced comedy a riot. Somehow drama filled with it is distracting when done to the extent it is on Deadwood.
Then you missed out on a lot. A f*cking lot.

Deberg_1990
05-22-2005, 09:28 PM
Deadwood is the best they've ever had, and that includes the Sopranos, which I love.
Carnivale had a disappointing end, more disappointing in that it ended prematurely than in the WTF finale episode.
No matter how impenatrable the storyline, it was a gorgeous show.

Whatever happened to Six Feet Under? The 3 or 4 episodes i saw of that show were excellent! Whats the word on the Sopranos? I thought it was supposed to return for one final season sometime this year??

Baby Lee
05-22-2005, 09:32 PM
I've seen stylize promos for it. Nothing substantive, just shots of the principals staring off into space over music. Reminding us that someday it'll be back.
Not like it's disappeared forever, like The Sopranos and Chappelle's Show.

HemiEd
05-22-2005, 09:46 PM
Only two programs that I make sure that I do not miss when they are on:
Boston Legal is the standard that Television should try and achieve IMO
Deadwood, I think that I am glad we are getting a break. Calamity Jane is inching ever closer to that inevitable sex scene.

Nzoner
05-22-2005, 09:59 PM
I hate Law and Order in all its forms.

As a fan of the shows can I ask why?

Baby Lee
05-22-2005, 10:00 PM
I wouldn't bother.
He's the same way about Seinfeld.

Logical
05-23-2005, 12:33 AM

Just something about the presentation I find irritating. It is in my opinion the antithesis of the way CSI is presented which I like. The actors also annoy me, but I have no explanation for that.

Miles
05-23-2005, 12:55 AM
Deadwood is easily the best. Probably followed by the Shield and Arrested Development. Nip Tuck and Rescue Me are also damn good.

House is my favorite new series and is getting stronger every episode.

Boston Legal was up there until the BS political shit ruined it. The writing in the last episode they aired was brutal.

grandllama
05-23-2005, 01:11 AM
Deadwood is easily the best. Probably followed by the Shield and Arrested Development. Nip Tuck and Rescue Me are also damn good.

House is my favorite new series and is getting stronger every episode.

Boston Legal was up there until the BS political shit ruined it. The writing in the last episode they aired was brutal.

Pretty much my list...

Deadwood
Arrested
Shield
Boston Legal (still loved Shatner making fun of Shatner)

Otter
05-23-2005, 07:22 AM

I have to whole heartedly disagree with you here.

Sopranos did get a little quirky twoards the end of season three. The series focused too much on "princess" and Carm and Tony's divorce week after week but once they got over that little hump in the road everything was back on track.

I watch Deadwood with great interest but it doesn't suck me in the way Sopranos does. I really miss that show.

In response to the post: I'm not a big TV guy but I do watch Sopranos, Deadwood and Simpsons & Seinfeld sindication. If I'm spending time in front of the boob tube and it's not sports or HBO it's usually a movie.

Bob Dole
05-23-2005, 07:30 AM
Kim Possible.

Ultra Peanut
05-23-2005, 07:40 AM
Kim Possible.That's not exactly surprising, Bobinator.

Ultra Peanut
05-23-2005, 07:42 AM
I'm... wounded.

That's pretty much the most inaccurate description for the show you could hope to write.

Even when the characters are at their peaks of insensitivity or hatefulness, there's an underlying sweetness and downright love present in the show that's just perfect and real. And that's as Ann as the nose on plain's face.

My faith in Gaz has been shattered. Cue the sad Snoopy music.From TWoP:

As someone who often does at least initially fall in love with a show based on affection and/or a sense of affinity for one or more characters, this struck me as a terrific explanation for why AD hasn't attracted more viewers. The funny thing is, though, that after multiple viewings I *do* find these people likable and even somewhat relatable. I care about most of them more than any of the Seinfeld characters and about a million times more than the Barones (none of whom I could ever stand, but that's just me!).

Sure, the Bluths are odd people who find themselves in bizarre situations, but their underlying feelings and reactions are often very relatable, IMO. Many of us can empathize with GOB's insecurity over his role in the family, with Lindsay's conflict between wanting to be a liberal, socially conscious do-gooder but in reality not wanting that altruistic do-gooding to conflict with her own somewhat selfish needs and desires; and, of course, with Michael's feeling torn between a strong sense familial obligation and the desire to preserve his own sanity!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I completely agree that AD takes longer to warm up to, but I feel it ultimately offers so many more rewards than the average sitcom (insight, intelligence, mind-boggling continuity, etc.)
The problem remains how to convince people to tune in more than once in a TV viewing universe where viewers who aren't instantly drawn in and gratified just reach for their remote controls. (Believe me, it took me a while to give AD a second chance after feeling meh about my first episode!) TWoP convinced me to watch a few more episodes despite my initial lack of enthusiasm, but, as we've sadly concluded many times on these threads, TWoPers are not representative of the viewing world at large.

I wonder if this season's greater use of slapstick and physical comedy was an attempt to be more 'mainstream' and recruit more viewers? In any case, I hope AD stays true to its own unique style of humor despite fears about its ratings!Oh, these people are absolutely likeable, if not downright adorable! Who doesn't love Buster? Who can't get enough of Michael or Lucille or George Senior winking? How about George Michael's Peanut's walk? Lucille's love of alcohol and jewelry? Sitwell's desire for the perfect neck hair? Kitty's need for her *bleeps* to be seen and put on tape? Tobias's desire to be the perfect husband and father? And GOB trying to heal the world a little?

Come ON! Are these "critics" made of steel? Look around people, these are our families and friends: they're nuts, they're blind to their faults, they're too conservative about some issues and go too far with others! Altruism is dead. Everyone has their "currency" as Dr. Shil would say, doesn't mean they're not relatable. After spending some time thinking about it, I can name a real-life family member after every single character on that show (We've even got a real Lucille!) (less the twins)... point is, Mitch is willing to take away our "masks" and have a jolly good laugh at what's beneath; the man is ahead of his time (and the human race to some degree...except the six million plus who follow the show currently). Progressive isn't the norm, that's why it's progress.

RedNFeisty
05-23-2005, 08:40 AM
House

Iowanian
05-23-2005, 09:38 AM
I've tried Arrested Development a couple of times, but it didn't capture my interest. I don't like the office(even though I wanted to)....

The Shows that I don't miss lately
Deadwood
Lost
The Contender(yeah I liked it, but wish they'd show the whole fights instead of highlights with sound effects)

I enjoyed the Shield and Rescue me last year, but have barely caught them this year for whatever reason.

Brock
05-23-2005, 10:13 AM
Deadwood wins for dialogue alone. That and The Shield are the only TV shows I watch.

BIG_DADDY
05-23-2005, 10:20 AM
Food Network in general has some pretty good shows.

StcChief
05-23-2005, 10:31 AM
Deadwood.
24 (despite too many commercials)

BigMeatballDave
05-23-2005, 01:16 PM
Boston Legal I liked that show when it was 'The Practice'...

BigMeatballDave
05-23-2005, 01:18 PM
11.Medical Investigatin
Bad news. I don't think it was picked up for the new fall season. I liked it, too...

BigMeatballDave
05-23-2005, 01:24 PM
These are links to each networks new fall line-up:

http://fox.com/schedule/schedule_fall.htm

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/fall_preview_2005/

http://abc.go.com/primetime/schedule/2005-06/index.html

http://nbc.com/Fall/

Beatlemanu
05-23-2005, 01:30 PM
Food Network in general has some pretty good shows.

Yep, and this lovely lovely is damn hot...

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1400052580.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg http://deseretnews.com/photos/2069957.jpg

Ultra Peanut
05-24-2005, 12:40 AM
Michael: Dad sold houses to the Iraqis, didn’t he? This is what you kept from me so I could take the polygraph test. Tell me the truth, okay? ’Cause there’s been a lot of lying in this family.
Lucille: And a lot of love.
Michael: More lies.

Lindsay: He’s going to be okay— right, Michael?
Michael: Absolutely. Absolutely. You all right?
G.O.B.: I’ll handle this one, Michael. Don’t you worry. It will take a lot more than a heart attack to kill that old bear. Old bear! He likes the honey. He never got a chance to see my bee business take off.
Michael: Come on, now, Dad’s going to be around another 30 years, G.O.B. Your business, uh, might not.
G.O.B.: You’re a good brother, Michael. Heart attack never stopped old Big Bear.
Buster: I didn’t even know we were calling him Big Bear.
G.O.B.: We never had a chance to.

shaneo69
05-24-2005, 10:33 AM
Stacked