PDA

View Full Version : Pearl Jam

Otter
05-23-2005, 09:56 PM
Itís been about 10 years since Pearl Jam made their debut in the big leagues of music. Listening to some tunes right now and was wondering the planet consensus on their talent.

Personally I think their best band to come out in the last century. Consistent good music, very friendly to their fan base and if youíve ever seen one of their show itís tough not to walk out kinda starry eyed.

One of my favorite songs with a cool little poem and message:

He could�ve tuned in tuned in
But he tuned out
A bad time nothing could save him
Alone in a corridor waiting locked out
He got up outta there ran for hundreds of miles
He made it to the ocean had a smoke in a tree
The wind rose up set him down on his knee

A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw
Delivered him wings "Hey look at me now"
Arms wide open with the sea as his floor
Oh power oh
He's.. flying
Whole�
High.. wide, oh

He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share
His key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere
But first he was stripped and then he was stabbed
By faceless men, well, ****ers
He still stands

And he still gives his love, he just gives it away
The love he receives is the love that is saved
And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

High.. flying
Oh, oh
High.. flying
Oh, oh
He�s�flying
Oh, oh

Inspector
05-23-2005, 10:00 PM
Really like Pearl Jam. Great music. Cool videos.

|Zach|
05-23-2005, 10:06 PM
With PJ for me personally, it seemed there was always a pretty big gap with their songs. I either loved a song or didn't care for it in the least. There was middle ground. I respect everything they have done in music and think they are great. I don't quite put them in an elite category myself.

I never thought immortality got enough respect as a great song.

KevB
05-23-2005, 10:12 PM
I'd probably call PJ my favorite band. I've got issues with their politics, but that aside, they have been amazingly consistent. No Code was a valley, but every other album has had at least two knockout songs, and is to the point I can sit and listen to the whole album. Black is still my favorite, as is Ten. Release is very underrated.

I saw them in concert a couple of years ago. In fact, got backstage access and front row (friend of friend was stage manager). It rained the whole concert, which seemed to make it even better. About 45 before the opening act, the stage manager, asked us if we'd like to see Eddie play something solo. Walked right up on the sidestage about 10 feet away, while he played. Then had the option of watching the concert on the sidestage or sitting in the front row. Spent some time in both places. They started with Release, which was incredible.

morphius
05-23-2005, 10:16 PM
Well, the albulm 10 was solid, but after that, everything was basically crap. Sure not all of it sucked, but really nothing special. Didn't back up the hype, but tried everything to be the hype.

CosmicPal
05-23-2005, 10:19 PM
I saw them when the did they inaugural Day on the Hill show in Lawrence. Eddie Vedder was climbing over everything like a man-ape. It was a small crowd, but the music was loud and great. A couple of weeks later, their video came out on MTV and the rest was history.

Inspector
05-23-2005, 10:20 PM
You ever heard of a band called "The Get Up Kids"?

I'm going to see them at the Uptown on July 2 and wondered if anyone ever heard of them. Are they any good? I hear they are a local band.

Pitt Gorilla
05-23-2005, 10:22 PM
Great band. Ten and Vitalogy were great albums and Yellow Ledbetter was a perfect single (well, B-side of a single anyway). I'd say they are one of my favorites, if not my very favorite.

Otter
05-23-2005, 10:25 PM
I'd probably call PJ my favorite band. I've got issues with their politics, but that aside, they have been amazingly consistent. No Code was a valley, but every other album has had at least two knockout songs, and is to the point I can sit and listen to the whole album. Black is still my favorite, as is Ten. Release is very underrated.

I saw them in concert a couple of years ago. In fact, got backstage access and front row (friend of friend was stage manager). It rained the whole concert, which seemed to make it even better. About 45 before the opening act, the stage manager, asked us if we'd like to see Eddie play something solo. Walked right up on the sidestage about 10 feet away, while he played. Then had the option of watching the concert on the sidestage or sitting in the front row. Spent some time in both places. They started with Release, which was incredible.

That's awesome and I'm green with envy. I'm not very big on concerts just because there are usually too many drunks who can't handle their alcohol or whatever their doing that ruin the show but I don't think a stampeding bull could have ruined the Pearl Jam Show I was at, they were just amazing.

I was only ever at three or four concerts (Live, Pearl Jam, Creed and Shania Twain if that counts) so I donít have a good sample pool but Pearl Jam just stood out heads and tails above the rest in both their music and live show. On top of their songs kicking ass reading their lyrics is actually interesting.

I voted 'best band ever' just because Pink Floyd was before my time.

I never thought immortality got enough respect as a great song.

You're running with the wrong circles Zack, Immortality is right up there with most their songs as long as you don't go by what MTV decides to feed you.

That's on my PJ top 10 list.

KevB
05-23-2005, 10:40 PM
That's awesome and I'm green with envy. I'm not very big on concerts just because there are usually too many drunks who can't handle their alcohol or whatever their doing that ruin the show but I don't think a stampeding bull could have ruined the Pearl Jam Show I was at, they were just amazing.

One pretty cool thing happened at the very beginning during Release. The lyrics reference his dad seeing where he is today, and just as he says that...a huge bolt of lightning lights up the sky. It was during a pause in the lyrics, and he immediately says, "hi Dad". It was something you'd see staged, but this was obviously completely impromptu. They sold the CD of the live show online (which I bought), and you could hear the crack of lightning in the background.

Spott
05-23-2005, 10:40 PM
I remember when they came and played for free back in '92 in Lawrence after they had released their first big CD (Ten). They were pretty cool live back then, especially for free.

Rausch
05-23-2005, 10:58 PM
I love Pearl Jam. Always have.

They were also probably the 2nd best live act I've ever seen (2nd only to Pink Floyd.) If Eddie just sings and doesn't try and sell me on his political beliefs in the middle of their concert I'm all for it.

stevieray
05-23-2005, 11:01 PM
i like PJ, but best in the last century? not even close.

I admire their staying power, considering every other grunge band is gone.

Rausch
05-23-2005, 11:06 PM

Agreed.

I'd say in the top 3 bands of the 90's, but that's honestly not saying much.

stevieray
05-23-2005, 11:07 PM
Agreed.

:thumb:

morphius
05-23-2005, 11:08 PM
Agreed.

Thats pretty realistic.

I always thought they were trying to hard to be alternitive, plus I thought it was cheesy that he was upset with STP, who had some songs I liked a lot more.

Otter
05-23-2005, 11:10 PM

As I further display my lack of vocabulary; I was under the impression centruy = 10 years. My bad.

I still think Pink Floyd is thier only rival in the last 10 years however. Just my humble opinion.

Who would you say compares to them? I'm not the biggest music buff, just asking out of genuine curiosity.

morphius
05-23-2005, 11:12 PM
As I further display my lack of vocabulary; I was under the impression centruy = 10 years. My bad.

I still think Pink Floyd is thier only rival in the last 10 years however. Just my humble opinion.

Who would you say compares to them? I'm not the biggest music buff, just asking out of genuine curiosity.
I'm the king of odd typo's, but I can't make heads or tails out of that.

Otter
05-23-2005, 11:17 PM
I'm the king of odd typo's, but I can't make heads or tails out of that.

Let me try again, it's getting late.

When I said best band in the last century I was under the impression that a century=10 years but it's 100 years.

"Who would you compare to them" = who would you compare to Pearl Jams constant production of good music. We're entering a grey area here as "good" is a relative term but there's no easy way around what's good to one person to the next.

I hope that clears it up, I'm off to bed shortly as I'm getting more dim witted than usual.

morphius
05-23-2005, 11:19 PM

When I said best band in the last century I was under the impression that a century=10 years but it's 100 years.

"Who would you compare to them" = who would you compare to Pearl Jams constant production of good music. We're entering a grey area here as "good" is a relative term but there's no easy way around what's good to one person to the next.

I hope that clears it up, I'm off to bed shortly as I'm getting more dim witted than usual.
I think the addition to Pink Floyd for the 90's is what really through me off.

Rausch
05-23-2005, 11:21 PM

I think Pink Floyd has a much better record of producing quality music and still having quality albums after changing and tweaking their sound.

The only album I think PJ came out with that was even close to the quality of Ten would be Yield...

CoMoChief
05-23-2005, 11:32 PM
Best band of my generation 1983-2005 = Metallica

KCWolfman
05-23-2005, 11:34 PM
Actually it has been about 15 years. Mother Love Bone's vocalist died in 1990 and Vedder took over and they renamed the band.

Ten was released around 1991 and is probably one of the best albums/CDs of the 90s.

They are one of those bands that DeNise and others here state will never last from the 90s yet have continued to do so.

KCWolfman
05-23-2005, 11:36 PM
Well, the albulm 10 was solid, but after that, everything was basically crap. Sure not all of it sucked, but really nothing special. Didn't back up the hype, but tried everything to be the hype.
Really? I love Vitalogy and their live KC album. Speaking of, that was a great idea to release multiple lives from the same concert all over the US. I don't think anyone else has ever done it.

KCWolfman
05-23-2005, 11:39 PM
Of course (once again) credit the Producer of Ten, Rick Parashar.

He is a mastermind and has also had hits with Three Doors Down, Nickelback, Alice in Chains, Blind Melon, and while it was not a hit, Temple of the Dog's self titled is one of my top ten albums from the 90s.

Rausch
05-23-2005, 11:41 PM
Actually it has been about 15 years. Mother Love Bone's vocalist died in 1990 and Vedder took over and they renamed the band.

Ten was released around 1991 and is probably one of the best albums/CDs of the 90s.

They are one of those bands that DeNise and others here state will never last from the 90s yet have continued to do so.

I keep hearing about the greatness that was Andrew Wood, and I understand that a lot of people were friends with the guy and hurt by his loss, but Green River and their vocals sucked. Bad.

MLB was better, and their one hit from the Singles soundtrack was great, but other than that they didn't leave me with much of an impression either...

KCWolfman
05-23-2005, 11:43 PM
I keep hearing about the greatness that was Andrew Wood, and I understand that a lot of people were friends with the guy and hurt by his loss, but Green River and their vocals sucked. Bad.

MLB was better, and their one hit from the Singles soundtrack was great, but other than that they didn't leave me with much of an impression either...
Same here. But the tribute album to him with all those guys and Soundgarden and PJ, Temple of the Dog is the best of all of them combined. I just wish they had a couple of more hard tunes on the disc.

Pitt Gorilla
05-23-2005, 11:44 PM

He is a mastermind and has also had hits with Three Doors Down, Nickelback, Alice in Chains, Blind Melon, and while it was not a hit, Temple of the Dog's self titled is one of my top ten albums from the 90s.Temple was a great band/combo of bands.

Rausch
05-23-2005, 11:45 PM

He is a mastermind and has also had hits with Three Doors Down, Nickelback, Alice in Chains, Blind Melon, and while it was not a hit, Temple of the Dog's self titled is one of my top ten albums from the 90s.

Absolutely.

I still listen to that ablum all the time.

I also thought Chris Cornell was much better solo, in TOTD, or pretty much any time he wasn't with Soundgarden...

tk13
05-23-2005, 11:48 PM
Speaking of, that was a great idea to release multiple lives from the same concert all over the US. I don't think anyone else has ever done it.

You can buy a two CD set of every concert of the last three legs of touring Peter Gabriel has done over the last couple years both in the US and in Europe. It's a recording straight from the soundboard, like an official bootleg, really neat idea. Expensive as all get out though...

KCWolfman
05-23-2005, 11:49 PM
You can buy a two CD set of every concert of the last three legs of touring Peter Gabriel has done over the last couple years both in the US and in Europe. It's a recording straight from the soundboard, like an official bootleg, really neat idea. Expensive as all get out though...
Really?

I used to collect Gabriel's stuff like a madman. I still love him with Genesis instead of his inadequate replacement.

tk13
05-23-2005, 11:56 PM
Really?

I used to collect Gabriel's stuff like a madman. I still love him with Genesis instead of his inadequate replacement.
Yeah, it's called the "Encore Series", I'd have to check the website but I believe the Who and maybe Duran Duran have been doing this as well. It's like 20 bucks for a CD of a festival/amphitheater type show and $25 for the big arena/stage show style concert (more songs). He's selling every show from an amphitheater tour of the US/Canada in 2003 and pretty much every show (arena and festival) in Europe from 2004. He varied the setlists from show to show so they aren't all the same CD over and over either.

http://www.petergabriel.com/moonclub/encore/

Ari Chi3fs
05-24-2005, 12:26 AM
My two favorite bands from the 90's Pearl Jam and Oasis.

I have to give the nod to Pearl Jam, even though I like Oasis' music a bit more. The reason? Oasis will play the same set night after night on tour, because Liam has shit memory, whereas Pearl Jam will look at the playlist the last time they were in town, and play a totally new set, which would also differ completely from the set they played the night before.

Truly amazing.

in 1999 when PJ came to KC for the first time in a long time... man, it was unreal. During Alive you could just feel the electricity. I soaked up that moment, and relive it occassionally... it was surreal. Everyone singing... wow. Truly a top 10 moment in my life.

Ari Chi3fs
05-24-2005, 12:27 AM

correction.

1983-1991.

Phobia
05-24-2005, 12:40 AM
I used to love her, but I had to kill her.

That G&R song kinda sums up how I feel about them.

Ari Chi3fs
05-24-2005, 12:43 AM
I used to love her, but I had to kill her.

That G&R song kinda sums up how I feel about them.

who? Mexicans?

Phobia
05-24-2005, 12:47 AM
who? Mexicans?

Heh. I like Mexicans. Without them we wouldn't have rooves.

Regards,

Reggie White's ghost

Taco John
05-24-2005, 01:16 AM
I didn't vote because none of the options really fit. But I'd probably be somewhere between #1 and #2. Definitely a top act of the 90's and still going strong.

Taco John
05-24-2005, 02:17 AM

Yes and no. Don't underestimate Velvet Revolver and Audioslave. Both are new age grunge bands with old school players.

Taco John
05-24-2005, 02:20 AM

Not even. Metallica fell off after Black. Plus, what the hell are they all angry about now? Most overrated band ever.

Rausch
05-24-2005, 02:22 AM
Yes and no. Don't underestimate Velvet Revolver and Audioslave. Both are new age grunge bands with old school players.

Audioslave is pretty good.

Velvet Revolver is pure, 100% recycled has-been bull$#it. I can't stand their music.

And I loved both STP and GnR...

Taco John
05-24-2005, 02:22 AM
correction.

1983-1991.

HAHA! Rep!

Demonpenz
05-24-2005, 02:31 AM
man i used to love pj more than anything great lyrics. Then they got too experimental after no code and forgot how to rock. Sometimes i wish they would just put some mindless rock music out instead of trying to make every song poetry and politics

BigMeatballDave
05-24-2005, 02:46 AM
Run of the mill. They only had 2 good songs. Evenflow and Jeremy...

Rausch
05-24-2005, 02:48 AM
Run of the mill. They only had 2 good songs. Evenflow and Jeremy...

Black is one of the.....no...You just lose your man-card, that's it.

Seriously, HTF do you not like Black or Garden?!?

BigMeatballDave
05-24-2005, 02:49 AM
Not even. Metallica fell off after Black. Plus, what the hell are they all angry about now? Most overrated band ever.One of my favorites, but I'd have to agree that Load was the beginning to their end. St. Anger, or whatever their last CD was titled was/is pure junk...

BigMeatballDave
05-24-2005, 02:50 AM

ROFL Sorry, not much of a fan...

Rausch
05-24-2005, 02:55 AM
ROFL Sorry, not much of a fan...

Seriously, this bothers me.

I can completely understand hating Eddie (Bono) Veddar, but man...Black is just awesome. Garden, Yellow Ledbetter... :shake:

trndobrd
05-24-2005, 02:58 AM
Black, Rearview Mirror, Not for You....all favorites.

I really like Mother Love Bone, lyrics are much more poetic, more remorsefull than angry.

BigMeatballDave
05-24-2005, 02:59 AM
Seriously, this bothers me.

I can completely understand hating Eddie (Bono) Veddar, but man...Black is just awesome. Garden, Yellow Ledbetter... :shake:I'm not even sure I've heard 'Black' before...

Rausch
05-24-2005, 03:05 AM
I'm not even sure I've heard 'Black' before...

Well then, that's your homework for the weekend...

Bob Dole
05-24-2005, 05:44 AM

Didn't you mean to say that now your bitter hands cradle broken glass of what was everything?

Rausch
05-24-2005, 05:59 AM
Didn't you mean to say that now your bitter hands cradle broken glass of what was everything?

No, I meant to say that a love gone bad turned my world to black. It tatooed all that I see, and all that I am, and perhaps all I'll ever be.

Bob Dole
05-24-2005, 07:33 AM
No, I meant to say that a love gone bad turned my world to black. It tatooed all that I see, and all that I am, and perhaps all I'll ever be.

Speaking of...the Aaron Lewis version is on DTV 818 right now.

Goapics1
05-24-2005, 07:51 AM
Pearl Jam is alright. My favorites though are Motley Crue, Van Halen (w/Sammy or Dave, not Gary F*ckin' Cherone), and Metallica.

Baby Lee
05-24-2005, 07:52 AM
When I was in law school, Vintage Vinyl, a great music store in University City, had a promotion where they were raffling off 100 limited edition copies [50 vinyl, 50 CD] of their concert at Soldier field. The only 100 copies in existence. I lived a block from Vintage Vinyl and stopped in every morning for a month to fill out a raffle entry. Ended up winning 4 copies. Took 1 vinyl and 3 CDs. Gave my GF at the time 1 CD and 1 to my sister. Kept the CD and record. Thought I had something valuable. Then a couple of years ago, they re-released the concert on CD at Best Buy for like 5.99

patteeu
05-24-2005, 08:12 AM
You ever heard of a band called "The Get Up Kids"?

I'm going to see them at the Uptown on July 2 and wondered if anyone ever heard of them. Are they any good? I hear they are a local band.

They are a local band. I've heard a couple songs and I liked them. Kind of an Emo band from the sampling I've done. Let us know how the show goes.

patteeu
05-24-2005, 08:19 AM
When I was in law school, Vintage Vinyl, a great music store in University City, had a promotion where they were raffling off 100 limited edition copies [50 vinyl, 50 CD] of their concert at Soldier field. The only 100 copies in existence. I lived a block from Vintage Vinyl and stopped in every morning for a month to fill out a raffle entry. Ended up winning 4 copies. Took 1 vinyl and 3 CDs. Gave my GF at the time 1 CD and 1 to my sister. Kept the CD and record. Thought I had something valuable. Then a couple of years ago, they re-released the concert on CD at Best Buy for like 5.99

LOL, that sucks.

Vintage Vinyl IS a great music store. I used to spend a lot of time looking through their racks when I lived in U City in the late 80's. IIRC, they moved to a much bigger space since then (which is probably where they were when you lived there).

patteeu
05-24-2005, 08:20 AM
As for Pearl Jam, I don't really care for them. I think it's EV's voice that I didn't really like, but for whatever reason I just never got into them.

Fairplay
05-24-2005, 08:26 AM
Absolutely.

I also thought Chris Cornell was much better solo, in TOTD, or pretty much any time he wasn't with Soundgarden...

Soundgarden, i was so big into them. Chris Cornell screeching out those vocals. I thought they had a sound that was original. And they were also not a clone of other bands with the grunge music going around at the time. Many of there songs had messages behind them that most people didn't get, or so i thought anyway. (Where did i put my bong?)

Alice in Chains i hailed them. STP was it. I could listen to the album Purple every song, that was their best. What a drughead.........

Screaming trees, Hole. Its funny Nirvana was on most peoples "A" list until the fu*k die. Then he got dissed. His lyrics were, well, strange when you read them. WTF he married Courtney Love, does that explain where his mind is? or was? or whatever?

BTW, I like PJ. His music changed somewhat, but on a scale of 1 to 10. A solid 8.

Baby Lee
05-24-2005, 08:32 AM
LOL, that sucks.

Vintage Vinyl IS a great music store. I used to spend a lot of time looking through their racks when I lived in U City in the late 80's. IIRC, they moved to a much bigger space since then (which is probably where they were when you lived there).

They are at Delmar and Leland, directly across the street from Fitz's, a block west of Blueberry Hill.

The best thing about VV, aside from the bargain bin, the cool vibe, the obscure genres and labels, the freaks, etc., is the best freaking in-stores around.

http://www.vintagevinyl.com/instores.asp

Bob Dole
05-24-2005, 08:36 AM
They are a local band. I've heard a couple songs and I liked them. Kind of an Emo band from the sampling I've done. Let us know how the show goes.

Kind of?

Bob Dole
05-24-2005, 08:42 AM
Soundgarden, i was so big into them. Chris Cornell screeching out those vocals. I thought they had a sound that was original. And they were also not a clone of other bands with the grunge music going around at the time.

If you like Cornell's voice, check out this bunch.

www.autophobic.com

morphius
05-24-2005, 08:48 AM
Really? I love Vitalogy and their live KC album. Speaking of, that was a great idea to release multiple lives from the same concert all over the US. I don't think anyone else has ever done it.
I think I pretty much gave up on the band after VS. Listened to the albulm for a while, put it up and dout I will every play it again. Everything since then it felt like they were really going out of their way to be alternitive instead of playing the better rock like stuff that was on Ten. I'm sure there is some decent songs on the CD that I haven't heard, and I wouldn't deny they they were probably in the top 3 of the bands from the 90's, but I just am not a fan anymore.

It does sound like they were a great live band, which always moves a band up the list for me.

MOhillbilly
05-24-2005, 08:52 AM
i can think of ALOT of bands that came out in the 90s that are better than pearl jam.
(****ing pukeshits pandering to the mass of stinky hippies)

Fairplay
05-24-2005, 08:52 AM
If you like Cornell's voice, check out this bunch.

www.autophobic.com

Im not sure whats up. But i can't get any audio off that site.
But Dole i'll take your word that the singer could never make it on American Idol and his parents to this day wondered how the hell their own son became leadsinger in a band with a voice that could scare off
Saten himself.

Bob Dole
05-24-2005, 08:56 AM
Im not sure whats up. But i can't get any audio off that site.
But Dole i'll take your word that the singer could never make it on American Idol and his parents to this day wondered how the hell their own son became leadsinger in a band with a voice that could scare off
Saten himself.

If you click "Media" there's a myspace player pop-up window that's probably being blocked.

Baby Lee
05-24-2005, 08:58 AM
It does sound like they were a great live band, which always moves a band up the list for me.
They ARE great live, and that's part of their allure. Because you can tell by their jamming skills that they're very accomplished on their instruments. They don't just write some great songs and perform them rote. They have these great songs and give you a great improv rendition of them live. Kind of like I'd imagine Derek and the Dominoes or Cream was in their day.

patteeu
05-24-2005, 09:01 AM
They are at Delmar and Leland, directly across the street from Fitz's, a block west of Blueberry Hill.

The best thing about VV, aside from the bargain bin, the cool vibe, the obscure genres and labels, the freaks, etc., is the best freaking in-stores around.

http://www.vintagevinyl.com/instores.asp

That's what I thought. They are in a building that used to be a movie theater. Before that, they were in one of the spaces just a little east of Blueberry Hill.

patteeu
05-24-2005, 09:02 AM
Kind of?

I didn't want to sound too certain since I've only heard two or three of their songs. They did sound emo to me though.

beavis
05-24-2005, 09:04 AM
I've always liked them, but never really appreciated them until Yield came out. That cd still blows me away when I listen to it. I'm looking forward to catching them live the next time they come around.

Goapics1
05-24-2005, 09:05 AM
If you click "Media" there's a myspace player pop-up window that's probably being blocked.

Mr. Dole, are you sure this site is not a Randy Moss fan club site?

morphius
05-24-2005, 09:07 AM
They ARE great live, and that's part of their allure. Because you can tell by their jamming skills that they're very accomplished on their instruments. They don't just write some great songs and perform them rote. They have these great songs and give you a great improv rendition of them live. Kind of like I'd imagine Derek and the Dominoes or Cream was in their day.
I can understand that. A few years back I heard Rob Zombie at Ozzfest, hadn't really listened to much of his stuff before that. Since seeing the guy up there live in 100 degree temprature and out performing Ozzy and System of a Down, I have been listening to the guys stuff.

Same thing happened when I saw Nuno's solo band play live at a local club back in the mid 90's, went and bought his CD the next day.

Baby Lee
05-24-2005, 09:07 AM
That's what I thought. They are in a building that used to be a movie theater. Before that, they were in one of the spaces just a little east of Blueberry Hill.
EDIT: Got East/West mixed up.

FYI - they've finally actually breached the Skinker barrier and extended The Loop east to the Metro Link/Wabash Station.

Here's a Map (http://www.ucityloop.com/map.htm)

for 5 1/2 years, I lived directly over what is now Salvato's Cafe, right off Skinker.

StcChief
05-24-2005, 09:16 AM
Copycats.

Bob Dole
05-24-2005, 09:24 AM
I didn't want to sound too certain since I've only heard two or three of their songs. They did sound emo to me though.

If Vena Amori is playing with them, do <b>not</b> let them stay at your house afterward.

cadmonkey
05-24-2005, 09:28 AM
They are a very good band. Not one of my favorites but all my friends love them so I listen to them.

patteeu
05-24-2005, 09:35 AM
Well, back then, Blueberry Hill and Ciceros shared a block, no?
Blueberry Hill owns the whole block now, and the only spaces between BH and VV are a Smoothie shop on the corner, and a tiny TINY shop with rasta-esque gear and 'hip' t-shirts.

I can't remember Ciceros to tell you the truth. VV was on the other side of Blueberry Hill from where it is now though. The last time I drove down Delmar (a couple of years ago), there was a HSB Tobacconist store in or near the space that VV used to occupy. Speaking of moving around, I believe that HSB Tobacconist is probably the same as High Street Boutique which used to be a head shop that was located on the corner of that block, across the street and directly east of the Smoothie shop you are talking about. I always thought that was a cool name for a head shop.

patteeu
05-24-2005, 09:43 AM
EDIT: Got East/West mixed up.

FYI - they've finally actually breached the Skinker barrier and extended The Loop east to the Metro Link/Wabash Station.

Here's a Map (http://www.ucityloop.com/map.htm)

for 5 1/2 years, I lived directly over what is now Salvato's Cafe, right off Skinker.

Interesting map. I wonder if Blueberry Hill has moved. I wasn't thinking there was a street between them and the Tivoli Theater. Maybe my memory is just fading. It looks like the area has grown quite a bit.

I lived west of the loop on Delmar in one of the 4-plex apartment buildings that are on the nouth side of the road (between Jackson and Hanley IIRC).

AZORChiefFan
05-24-2005, 10:18 AM
I was at the Day on the Hill also. Great show. I was impressed that they held their end of the bargain. Playing a 'free' show after Evenflow had been getting some airtime on MTV. I saw them in December 91 open for the Peppers. Day on the hill was in April/May??

Since then I bought Versus and thought it was aight. Still have 10 tho I haven't lisetened to it for years.

I did have MotherLoveBone on tape back in the day. Which is a fine release in itself.

Inspector
05-24-2005, 10:42 PM

Thanks for the feedback!

My son's band is the opening act for them. He said they will sell out Uptown pretty quick. He is good friends with the guys in "The Get Up Kids" and couldn't believe I didn't know who they were.

Hope it's a great show. I'll let you know how it goes.

KCWolfman
05-24-2005, 10:45 PM
As far as that goes, I like Eddie's voice on the covers they do as well.

Last Kiss and Masters of War are proof that covers of old tunes cannot only be done well, but sometimes even better than the original.

nychief
05-24-2005, 10:49 PM
Personally I think their best band to come out in the last century.

ROFL

Deberg_1990
05-25-2005, 06:43 AM
Itís been about 10 years since Pearl Jam made their debut in the big leagues of music.

Sorry to make you feel old, but its been more like 13-14 years. I believe Nirvanas Nevermind and Pearl Jams 10 came out around the end of 91 or early 92?

duncan_idaho
05-25-2005, 08:54 AM
My favorite band by far...

Their cover of Hide your Love Away is also outstanding... as are any Doors covers they do.

I hate being wet and cold more than anything, but I stood through 2 1/2 hours of pouring rain at the sandstone to see them play ...