PDA

View Full Version : Computer Help Please..(I know this is the wrong forum, but please read anyway)

ChiefsFanatic
05-24-2005, 12:08 PM
O.K. I know there is a forum for this, but there are only four people in it, as opposed to 140 in this forum.

My cousin has a Compaq Presario 6000 [running XP] It came with a set of 5 recovery CDs. This computer also has a cd-burner, and a dvd-drive as well.

I put the first recovery cd in a drive, and started the recovery process. I put it in the burner drive [D:] Everything seemed to be going fine, but when it comes time for the second disc, it ejects the dvd-drive [E:] I put disc 2 into the dvd-drive, but the recovery process only reads the burner drive, and says I still need to insert cd 2.

I can't get it to eject the burner to put the second cd into that drive.

I started the process over again, this time putting cd1 into the dvd-drive. This time it ejected the burner drive, and I put cd2 in. It read cd2, but then ejected the dvd-drive and asked for cd3. I put cd3 into the dvd-drive, but once again it read the burner instead, that still had cd2 in it.

How can I get it to specify a drive to use for all recovery CDs, or how can I manually eject the burner drive?

I have looked all over the web and can't find anything about this problem. Compaq/Hp website has no info on this problem. I have used the recovery CDs on my laptop many times, but it only has the one drive.

If you took time to read this, thanks. If you can help me, even more thanks.

ChiefsFanatic

BigRedChief
05-24-2005, 12:13 PM
I would help you but since its the wrong forum I can't help you or I'll be banned.

nmt1
05-24-2005, 12:14 PM
Open up the case and disconnect one of the compact disk drives. I'd disconnect the DVD drive myself.

Mr. Laz
05-24-2005, 12:16 PM
you might try unplugging DVD drive

flip the main power switch off to the computer (on the back, power supply)

then open the computer up by taking off side panel.

unplug the DVD drive ... you can leave big cable attached... just pull power plug.

switch main power switch back on

that should make the computer use the regular CD drive.

ChiefsFanatic
05-24-2005, 12:19 PM
you might try unplugging DVD drive

flip the main power switch off to the computer (on the back, power supply)

then open the computer up by taking off side panel.

unplug the DVD drive ... you can leave big cable attached... just pull power plug.

switch main power switch back on

that should make the computer use the regular CD drive.

I am going to try the manual eject each time, but if that does not work, I will try this. Thanks.

It was a simple answer, but I just couldn't get my brain to work.

Hoover
05-24-2005, 01:02 PM
Un Plug the machine, take it to the stairs throw it down the stairs. Grab your keys go to Best Buy, Buy new machine. Set it up, it should work fine. Let me know if you need more help than this.

Hoover

Dick Bull
05-24-2005, 01:05 PM
I am going to try the manual eject each time, but if that does not work, I will try this. Thanks.

It was a simple answer, but I just couldn't get my brain to work.

Be careful, I understand if you manually eject too many times it could screw something up.

Btw you might try cleaning the lens on the player. I had one that did that until I cleaned the lens.

Dick Bull
05-24-2005, 01:06 PM
Un Plug the machine, take it to the stairs throw it down the stairs. Grab your keys go to Best Buy, Buy new machine. Set it up, it should work fine. Let me know if you need more help than this.

Hoover

I do need more help than this. What is your credit card number and/or billing address?

patteeu
05-24-2005, 02:11 PM
I'm not a fan of the subforums (Washington DC or GeeksPlanet) and would rather see them all together so all the action would be in one place. But if we have the separate forums, under what conditions do we decide that our sub-forum-related post is important enough to defy protocol and post in the main forum? I'd be pretty irritated to find out that you are one of the people who voted to move political posts to Washington DC, but I'm glad you found help anyway.

AeroSquid
05-24-2005, 02:53 PM
i like this sub forum... i'm a geek who happens to be a Chiefs fan so it's perfect for me... i used to miss the pc related posts but now i check here first.

Baby Lee
05-24-2005, 03:11 PM
i like this sub forum... i'm a geek who happens to be a Chiefs fan so it's perfect for me... i used to miss the pc related posts but now i check here first.
Yeah, DC is a ghetto. But this forum is like that corner of the lunchroom where the geeks gathered and played D&D.

ENDelt260
05-24-2005, 03:14 PM
Now they play Magic. Well, until I walk by with a leaf blower.

Douche Baggins
05-24-2005, 03:53 PM
Recovery CDs. How cute.

Pants
05-24-2005, 07:10 PM
Recovery CDs. How cute.

ROFL

ChiefsFanatic
05-24-2005, 11:58 PM
I'm not a fan of the subforums (Washington DC or GeeksPlanet) and would rather see them all together so all the action would be in one place. But if we have the separate forums, under what conditions do we decide that our sub-forum-related post is important enough to defy protocol and post in the main forum? I'd be pretty irritated to find out that you are one of the people who voted to move political posts to Washington DC, but I'm glad you found help anyway.

I absolutely did no such thing. And i would have posted it in this forum, but I wanted my post to get read quickly.

Shame on me.

Mr. Laz
05-25-2005, 10:46 AM
I absolutely did no such thing. And i would have posted it in this forum, but I wanted my post to get read quickly.

Shame on me.
don't sweat it...

did you get the problem taken care of?

htismaqe
05-26-2005, 11:37 AM

Shame on me.

The idea that your post doesn't get read, or read quickly, if you post here first is 100% false.

This forum is checked quite frequently.

So from now on, just post it here. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Mr. Laz
05-29-2005, 11:20 AM
The idea that your post doesn't get read, or read quickly, if you post here first is 100% false.

This forum is checked quite frequently.

So from now on, just post it here. You'll be pleasantly surprised.
says that man who started and is pimping this part of the forum