PDA

View Full Version : downloading t.v. show illegal?

Mr. Laz
05-24-2005, 08:18 PM
if you miss a season finale of a television series, can you download it and watch it legally?

since it's been already broadcast ... does that make a difference?

free tv = legal download or not??

dirk digler
05-24-2005, 08:33 PM
I am thinking not.

Hasn't there been a couple of torrent sites shut down for having TV shows available to download?

4th and Long
05-24-2005, 08:37 PM
if you miss a season finale of a television series, can you download it and watch it legally?

since it's been already broadcast ... does that make a difference?

free tv = legal download or not??
:shake:

PhogPhanTim
05-24-2005, 08:49 PM
...is it legal if the commercials are included?

Claynus
05-24-2005, 08:51 PM
I say...who cares.

Mr. Laz
05-24-2005, 09:00 PM
...is it legal if the commercials are included?

i think ReplayTv(like tivo) even has a forum on their site where owners of the Replay DVR's can actually share/swap recorded shows.

:shrug:

Miles
05-24-2005, 10:07 PM
Sharing it is definitly illegal.

KCWolfman
05-24-2005, 10:32 PM
Sharing it is definitly illegal.
But recording a live feed isn't?

How is that logical? I am not disputing your statement, I just don't understand the legality.

beer bacon
05-24-2005, 10:34 PM

How is that logical? I am not disputing your statement, I just don't understand the legality.

Since when is legality necessarily logical?

Miles
05-24-2005, 10:40 PM

I dont know the specifics but you can record off TV for your own use but cant distribute the recording to others. Its still copyrighted material even though it has been broadcast.

Ultra Peanut
05-25-2005, 12:16 AM
It's illegal, without a doubt, but I won't think any less of you as a person for doing it.

chief4life
05-25-2005, 07:15 AM
All i can say is that I do it I watched the whole season 4 or 24 that way. No commercials and someone else does the work. I think that is retarded to think that no has not got something off here that was illegal to the government eyes. I admit I download everything. But i think it is illegal if you sell it not watch it. If that is the case then everyone needs to throw away there tivos. just my 2 cents

C-Mac
05-25-2005, 07:24 AM
It's illegal, without a doubt, but I won't think any less of you as a person for doing it.

Copying for personal use is not illegal, its the public rebroadcasting or distribution that is illegal without consent.

Its not illegal for you to watch a copied movie, but it could be illegal for the person making it available to copy. For example you can go to a website that has those little blooper type mpeg clips that you can download, but if there is a copyright issue, they will contact that website to remove it.