PDA

View Full Version : I am never drinking and driving again

BIG_DADDY
05-31-2005, 11:33 AM
At least I say that now. Got pulled over for DUI yesterday with my dog in the truck going ballistic. I was getting ready to move so I had been drinking Makers Mark and smoking cigars all day. I must have smelt terrible. The officer immediatly smelled it on me and called for backup. I was right at the intersection of 92 and 101 probably the busiest place I could possible be pulled over. 30 minutes later in what felt like 2 hours in a never ending sobriety tests I drove away. I am thanking my lucky stars today.

Chiefnj
05-31-2005, 11:35 AM
Why were you pulled over?

Rain Man
05-31-2005, 11:36 AM
I meant to make a thread about this, but I'm a little too late. Just so everyone knows, this next two weeks is the big national enforcement wave for seat belts, so traffic stops and traffic enforcement are spiking right now. Now is the time to drive slow and safe if you don't normally do so.

Sounds like you weren't really DUI, Big Daddy?

ChiTown
At least I say that now. Got pulled over for DUI yesterday with my dog in the truck going ballistic. I was getting ready to move so I had been drinking Makers Mark and smoking cigars all day. I must have smelt terrible. The officer immediatly smelled it on me and called for backup. I was right at the intersection of 92 and 101 probably the busiest place I could possible be pulled over. 30 minutes later in what felt like 2 hours in a never ending sobriety tests I drove away. I am thanking my lucky stars today.

Glad you didn't hve to join the club. Believe me, having a DUI sucks.....

BIG_DADDY
Why were you pulled over?

****ing Seatbelt. :cuss:

Got a ticket for that. ****ing insurance companies.

BIG_DADDY
05-31-2005, 11:38 AM
I meant to make a thread about this, but I'm a little too late. Just so everyone knows, this next two weeks is the big national enforcement wave for seat belts, so traffic stops and traffic enforcement are spiking right now. Now is the time to drive slow and safe if you don't normally do so.

Sounds like you weren't really DUI, Big Daddy?

I would have never taken a breathalyzer I'll tell you that much. Smoked the tests though. The other officer even yelled he's fine to the guy giving me the test.

Skip Towne
05-31-2005, 11:41 AM
How much is the fine for no seat belt in Cali? In Oklahoma it is $20.

BIG_DADDY
05-31-2005, 11:44 AM
How much is the fine for no seat belt in Cali? In Oklahoma it is $20.

I asked the officer he said he thought it was $40

Eleazar
05-31-2005, 11:46 AM

Gotta love CA. :shake:

Bob Dole
05-31-2005, 11:47 AM

Got a ticket for that. ****ing insurance companies.

Might as well blame Bob Dole's wife and the auto industry while you're at it.

Who gives a shit that polls prior to the first such law in 1985 showed more than 75% of the population opposed the damned things. If anyone ever needed a case study of the insidious nature of the legislative process, seat belt laws are it.

Skip Towne
05-31-2005, 11:51 AM

Who gives a shit that polls prior to the first such law in 1985 showed more than 75% of the population opposed the damned things. If anyone ever needed a case study of the insidious nature of the legislative process, seat belt laws are it.
I hate seat belts and won't wear them.

Bob Dole
05-31-2005, 11:52 AM
And while Bob Dole is sitting here at lunch watching another damned seat belt commercial, Bob Dole would like to point out that the hundreds of thousands of dollars spent on this enforcement campaign might actually have helped reduce traffic fatalities if it had been spent to FIX THE ****ING ROADS.

BIG_DADDY
05-31-2005, 11:56 AM
Gotta love CA. :shake:

The guy I work out with says he was watching the news Friday night and they said California has the highest incarceration rate per capita of anywhere else in the entire world. We also have the highest rate of drug convictions.

BIG_DADDY
05-31-2005, 11:58 AM

May I suggest putting them on if you have had anything to drink? :banghead:

BIG_DADDY
05-31-2005, 11:59 AM
And while Bob Dole is sitting here at lunch watching another damned seat belt commercial, Bob Dole would like to point out that the hundreds of thousands of dollars spent on this enforcement campaign might actually have helped reduce traffic fatalities if it had been spent to FIX THE ****ING ROADS.

It's just weird having the cops working for the insurance companies on our tax dollars. Just ain't right.

Infidel Goat
05-31-2005, 11:59 AM
My dad, a retired physician, hates the helmet law.

He'll admit that it saves lives, but he doesn't think the surviving quadrapelegics it creates are all that thankful.

--Infidel Goat

Saulbadguy
05-31-2005, 12:01 PM
I never press my luck with that sort of thing. If i've had a couple of drinks or more, I'll always hand over the keys, no matter what.

BIG_DADDY
05-31-2005, 12:04 PM
I never press my luck with that sort of thing. If i've had a couple of drinks or more, I'll always hand over the keys, no matter what.

This is like the 4th time I've lucked out in my life on this sort of thing, I think I will try and adopt your approach.

Skip Towne
05-31-2005, 12:08 PM
May I suggest putting them on if you have had anything to drink? :banghead:
Good advice. I don't drink and drive (anymore).

Otter
05-31-2005, 12:17 PM
I drove to the liquor store yesterday (yes I'm in PA) and saw 4 state troopers in both directions and 3 people pulled over in a 10 mile round drive.

There were cops EVERYWHERE, worst crackdown I've ever seen it in my 32 years of existance.

Woke up with some ugly hairy buddies on my floor and couch but we had fun.

Mr. Kotter
05-31-2005, 12:18 PM
Good advice. I don't drink and drive (anymore).

Serious question Skip: Do you get stoned and drive?

Otter
05-31-2005, 12:21 PM

We do bong hits while were driving, Skip makes me hold the wheel when he's going 80mph through S turns.

That old lady would have died soon anyway.

Mr. Kotter
05-31-2005, 12:23 PM
We do bong hits while were driving, Skip makes me hold the wheel when he's going 80mph through S turns.

Glad I don't live in your neighborhood then, I guess. :p

ptlyon
05-31-2005, 12:23 PM
"People on ludes shoudn't drive"

JimNasium
05-31-2005, 12:24 PM
"People on ludes should not drive"
There, fixed it for you. Emphasis on the "not".

BIG_DADDY
05-31-2005, 12:24 PM
I drove to the liquor store yesterday (yes I'm in PA) and saw 4 state troopers in both directions and 3 people pulled over in a 10 mile round drive.

There were cops EVERYWHERE, worst crackdown I've ever seen it in my 32 years of existance.

Woke up with some ugly hairy buddies on my floor and couch but we had fun.

The cops are like locust out here too. The Chronical is reporting over 3000 officers joining in the effort.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/05/31/BAG15D0UVK1.DTL

BIG_DADDY
05-31-2005, 12:25 PM

NICE!!!

tomahawk kid
05-31-2005, 12:29 PM

Me too. I'm not even going to f#ck with that sh!t.

BIG_DADDY
05-31-2005, 12:31 PM

Funny thing is many people believe we are in control of things. We ain't control of a damn thing. When 75% of the population is opposed to something but they pass the legislation anyway you know who is in charge.

mikey23545
05-31-2005, 12:39 PM

Damn, in Florida the seat belt ticket costs you a cool $67....You folks are way behind the curve.... :banghead:

Mike in SW-MO
05-31-2005, 12:39 PM
The thing that pisses me off was that the initial legislation was that there could be no seatbelt tickets unless the initial stop was for something else first. That seems to have fallen by the wayside.

Incementalism. Gotta love it.

Bowser
05-31-2005, 12:45 PM
Damn, in Florida the seat belt ticket costs you a cool $67....You folks are way behind the curve.... :banghead:

The hell you say. I bet you would rather buckle up than pay state taxes.

;)

MOhillbilly
05-31-2005, 12:45 PM
im not concerned w/ how many i kill.
im much more concerned w/ how much beer i spill.

Bob Dole
05-31-2005, 12:50 PM

$125 in Texas. $50 in Arkansas.

Bob Dole
05-31-2005, 12:51 PM
The thing that pisses me off was that the initial legislation was that there could be no seatbelt tickets unless the initial stop was for something else first. That seems to have fallen by the wayside.

Incementalism. Gotta love it.

That's the "insidious nature" Bob Dole mentioned earlier.

JimNasium
05-31-2005, 12:53 PM
That's the "insidious nature" Bob Dole mentioned earlier.
Kinda like drinking a case of beer and then having a picture of you bare ass posted on teh interweb?

BIG_DADDY
05-31-2005, 12:53 PM
im not concerned w/ how many i kill.
im much more concerned w/ how much beer i spill.

I was really worried about what was going to happen to my dog if I got arrested too, he was not happy. Even if they SPCA got him picked up without killing him don't they automatically cut the dogs balls off? :cuss:

BIG_DADDY
05-31-2005, 12:55 PM
$125 in Texas. $50 in Arkansas.

$125 ouch. Last time I got one of those I went ballistic. This time I was actually thanked him for writing the ticket. I think that is the most pollite I have ever been in my entire life.

Bob Dole
05-31-2005, 12:57 PM
Kinda like drinking a case of beer and then having a picture of you bare ass posted on teh interweb?

Sort of, but not really.

htismaqe
05-31-2005, 01:05 PM

My new car has sensors in the seats so it "knows" when someone is sitting in them. If you sit in the seat and don't fasten your seatbelt, it beeps.

And beeps and beeps and beeps and beeps and beeps and beeps and beeps and beeps and beeps and beeps and beeps and beeps and beeps and beeps and beeps and beeps and beeps and beeps and beeps and beeps and beeps.

There's no way to shut it off that I've found.

The day after I got the car I put my laptop on the seat on my way to work. My car started beeping incessantly. I thought "it's brand-****ing now, how could it be broken already". I finally realized that my laptop was just heavy enough to fool the sensor into thinking a person was sitting there.

mlyonsd
05-31-2005, 01:08 PM
Kind of makes you wonder when the insurance companies lobbied for and got seat belt laws why your insurance premiums didn't go down.

F'ing insurance companies.

Amnorix
05-31-2005, 01:08 PM
The guy I work out with says he was watching the news Friday night and they said California has the highest incarceration rate per capita of anywhere else in the entire world. We also have the highest rate of drug convictions.

Those two go hand in hand.

I read an article in the Boston Globe regarding women in prison. Some amazing stuff.

1. Women constitute about 10% of the US prison population. A little under 200K out of 2M incarcerated.

2. 70% of women in jail are mothers.

3. Some absurdly high percentage (like 60%) are in for nonviolent crimes, usually related to drug usage.

Glad we waste our money locking up these folks. :shake:

Rain Man
05-31-2005, 01:14 PM
My new car has sensors in the seats so it "knows" when someone is sitting in them. If you sit in the seat and don't fasten your seatbelt, it beeps.

And beeps and beeps and beeps and beeps and beeps and beeps and beeps and beeps and beeps and beeps and beeps and beeps and beeps and beeps and beeps and beeps and beeps and beeps and beeps and beeps and beeps.

The day after I got the car I put my laptop on the seat on my way to work. My car started beeping incessantly. I thought "it's brand-****ing now, how could it be broken already". I finally realized that my laptop was just heavy enough to fool the sensor into thinking a person was sitting there.

Interestingly, my 1972 Mustang Mach I had exactly the same system. Seriously. I've never seen a car with that system since then.

Ultra Peanut
05-31-2005, 01:16 PM

That old lady would have died soon anyway.You win the thread.

Calcountry
05-31-2005, 01:24 PM

Got a ticket for that. ****ing insurance companies.Fugging hedge funds, fuggin screwing up the gd stock market. :pROFL

BIG_DADDY
05-31-2005, 01:29 PM
Fugging hedge funds, fuggin screwing up the gd stock market. :pROFL

Dude my adrenaline was flowing like a MO. I couldn't go to sleep until 1AM after downing almost a 5th of vodka. I still wonder what would have happened to my dog. If anything bad happened to him Rina would lost it. I think she would probably have ended up getting incarcerated as well.

Ebolapox
05-31-2005, 01:33 PM
ya know, call me crazy, but drinking/driving is NEVER a good idea... not to side with madd, but... yeah, getting all sloppy drunk and killing a 14 year old gymnast while NOT in vegas isn't my idea of fun...

wait, you b*tches are NOT going to use my trip to vegas against me... LOOK AT THE MOTTO, HOES!! WHAT HAPPENS IN VEGAS, STAYS IN VEGAS
:spock:

-EB-

Calcountry
05-31-2005, 01:35 PM
Dude my adrenaline was flowing like a MO. I couldn't go to sleep until 1AM after downing almost a 5th of vodka. I still wonder what would have happened to my dog. If anything bad happened to him Rina would lost it. I think she would probably have ended up getting incarcerated as well.

There are just some people who function within normal parameters while drunk, just ask Delt.

Then again, perhaps that cop didn't want you to kick his ass.

Calcountry
05-31-2005, 01:37 PM
I asked the officer he said he thought it was $40Try 86 bucks. I fuggin know, my wife got one last year, I started a thread about it.

Calcountry
05-31-2005, 01:39 PM
I would have never taken a breathalyzer I'll tell you that much. Smoked the tests though. The other officer even yelled he's fine to the guy giving me the test.Like I said, they know you would have kicked both their motha fuggin asses.

Calcountry
05-31-2005, 01:39 PM
Gotta love CA. :shake:We love it!!!

Calcountry
05-31-2005, 01:41 PM

He'll admit that it saves lives, but he doesn't think the surviving quadrapelegics it creates are all that thankful.

--Infidel GoatThis is the "freedom" that we are fighting to give to the Iraqi's. :hmmm:

Calcountry
05-31-2005, 01:42 PM
The cops are like locust out here too. The Chronical is reporting over 3000 officers joining in the effort.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/05/31/BAG15D0UVK1.DTL

Fun goes farther on BART. ;)

Radar Chief
05-31-2005, 01:58 PM

--Infidel Goat

I once saw Eddie Lawson get off his GP bike at the Hockenheimring during time trials while traveling in excess of 190 MPH and he raced the next day. :shrug:

BIG_DADDY
05-31-2005, 02:28 PM
Those two go hand in hand.

I read an article in the Boston Globe regarding women in prison. Some amazing stuff.

1. Women constitute about 10% of the US prison population. A little under 200K out of 2M incarcerated.

2. 70% of women in jail are mothers.

3. Some absurdly high percentage (like 60%) are in for nonviolent crimes, usually related to drug usage.

Glad we waste our money locking up these folks. :shake:

The federal government spends about $35 billion a year on the "war on drugs," largely to prosecute marijuana users – but it's fighting a losing battle.

While the number of marijuana arrests has risen sharply since the early 1990s, the crackdown has done little to curtail the demand for the drug.

Police make about 700,000 marijuana-related arrests each year, accounting for almost half of all drug arrests. Pot busts peaked at 755,186 in 2003 – nearly twice the number of arrests in 1993.
While marijuana arrests rose 113 percent from 1990 to 2002, arrests for other drugs increased only 10 percent.
About 88 percent of marijuana busts are for simple possession, not dealing, according to the FBI's annual Uniform Crime Report. And the number of arrests for "sale/manufacture" includes all those caught growing marijuana for their own use or for medical reasons.
Marijuana prices have fallen by 16 percent since 1992, when adjusted for inflation – while potency has doubled.
Since 1990, daily marijuana use by high school seniors has nearly tripled, from 2.2 percent of students to 6 percent.
A marijuana user is arrested every 42 seconds in America, according to the Drug War Chronicle – and the number busted yearly exceeds the population of South Dakota or San Francisco.
"These number belie the myth that police do not target and arrest minor marijuana offenders," said Keith Stroup, Executive Director of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws.

"This effort is a tremendous waste of criminal justice resources. These dollars would be better served combating serious and violent crime, including the war on terrorism."

And Rob Kampia, executive director of the Marijuana Policy Project (MPP), said that considering the number of marijuana arrests, "it's safe to say that the drug war isn't preventing people from using marijuana."

Bruce Mirken, director of communications for the MPP, pointed out that while marijuana possession offenses usually draw light punishment, the repercussions of a pot bust can be devastating to the offenders.

"It can literally haunt them for the rest of their lives," Mirken told The Drug War Chronicle. "They lose access to federal benefits, they lose job opportunities because of the arrest record, they can't get student loans."

More than 150,000 college students or would-be students can't get access to federal financial aid because of drug crimes, most of them simple marijuana possession, according to the U.S. Department of Education.

The drug war against low-level users also encourages resentment against the police, especially in the minority community. African-Americans account for 14 percent of marijuana users, but 30 percent of arrests, according to The Sentencing Project, a research group favoring alternatives to incarceration.

An editorial in USA TODAY – America's largest circulation newspaper - has called for changes in the enforcement of drug laws: "Today's more potent marijuana carries substantial health and social risks. It can lead to depression, thoughts of suicide and schizophrenia, especially among teens, according to government research. Its use should be discouraged.

"But it's a smokescreen to suggest that rising arrest numbers show the war on drugs is working. It's time for a serious debate on whether massive arrests of low-level users are worth the cost or having any benefit."

dtebbe
05-31-2005, 02:44 PM
As far as seatbelts go, I'd be dead right now if I hadn't been wearing mine last year when I got rear-ended. No doubt I would have ate the steering wheel on my way thru the windshield and into the back of a Jeep Grand Cherokee. My chest looked like I had been wacked with a baseball bat from the seatbelt, and my head went thru the back window of my truck, but I walked away. That would not have been the case if I hadn't been wearing it.

And, Makers is some good stuff. I'm not a big bourbon drinker, but I drank Makers and Coke yesterday and was instantly hooked. Makers and ice is pretty damn good too.

DT

BIG_DADDY
05-31-2005, 02:50 PM
As far as seatbelts go, I'd be dead right now if I hadn't been wearing mine last year when I got rear-ended. No doubt I would have ate the steering wheel on my way thru the windshield and into the back of a Jeep Grand Cherokee. My chest looked like I had been wacked with a baseball bat from the seatbelt, and my head went thru the back window of my truck, but I walked away. That would not have been the case if I hadn't been wearing it.

And, Makers is some good stuff. I'm not a big bourbon drinker, but I drank Makers and Coke yesterday and was instantly hooked. Makers and ice is pretty damn good too.

DT

I usually drink it straight. Between that and the cigars he probably could smell me when I drove by. I didn't even have any water in my truck to try and hide the smell. :cuss:

tommykat
05-31-2005, 05:44 PM
I think it is $10 in Mo.........last I heard, but someone come back and tell me different.

BigDaddy.........:shake: watch it, seriously! ;)

Skip Towne
05-31-2005, 05:54 PM
I think it is $10 in Mo.........last I heard, but someone come back and tell me different.

BigDaddy.........:shake: watch it, seriously! ;)
I'll bet you 5 jillion dollars the fine for no seat belt is more than $10 in Mo.

tommykat
05-31-2005, 05:55 PM
I'll bet you 5 jillion dollars the fine for no seat belt is more than $10 in Mo.

So find it then.........

Skip Towne
05-31-2005, 05:59 PM
So find it then.........
I don't have any way to find it. Call the cop shop and ask them. They couldn't make any money at $10 and that is why they do it.

carlos3652
05-31-2005, 06:23 PM
MoDOT News Release
May 13, 2004
Click It or Ticket Campaign Begins Monday
JEFFERSON CITY – The Missouri Department of Transportation’s “Click It or Ticket” campaign will begin May 16 with an aggressive advertising effort supported by enforcement of safety belt and child restraint laws.

Among the messages of the campaign:

•If you’re wearing your safety belt in a crash, your injury chances are only one in eight. If you’re not, your chances are one in four.

• A driver involved in a 2004 Missouri traffic crash had a one in 37 chance of being killed if not wearing a safety belt. In those cases where drivers wore safety belts, their chance of being killed was only one in 1,283.

• Safety belts reduce the risk of serious injury for front seat occupants of passenger cars by 50 percent and light trucks by 65 percent.

The statewide campaign emphasizes increased enforcement of Missouri’s traffic laws, including following too closely, speeding, driving while intoxicated, and occupant restraint violations. With more than 1,000 work zones in Missouri this year, these laws are especially important.

Law enforcement across the state will take a zero-tolerance stance to increase awareness and compliance of Missouri’s safety belt and child restraint laws. Enforcement efforts begin May 23 and run through June 5, including the Memorial Day holiday.

“Traffic fatalities are an ongoing tragedy we must do something about,” said Scott Turner, highway safety program administrator for MoDOT. “The laws for safety belt and child restraint use are on the books to save lives.”

Sixty percent of the people who died in traffic crashes last year were not buckled up. Over eighty percent of those killed in crashes involving pickup trucks weren’t wearing their safety belts either. Using safety belts and child restraints is one of the best ways to prevent death and personal injury when involved in a traffic crash.

MoDOT, in cooperation with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the Missouri Safety Center, awarded grants to local law enforcement agencies to assist in the national effort.

milkman
05-31-2005, 06:36 PM
Try 86 bucks. I fuggin know, my wife got one last year, I started a thread about it.

Mine was 83 bucks about 7 years ago.

Jenson71
05-31-2005, 06:43 PM
I'm never smoking weed with Willie again.

milkman
05-31-2005, 06:46 PM
I've discussed this one other time here, even though I rarely share personal information.

This, however, is something I feel strongly about.

I am not one to try and force my beliefs or values on others.
But I also will never have any sympathy for you if you get arrested for a DUI.
I won't cry if you spend any time in jail if you are arrested for driving while intoxicated.

I lost my father to a drunk driver in 1963 when I was the ripe old age of 4.
It sure would have been nice to have him around when I got into sports.
It would have been nice to have someone teach about cars, carpentry, or any kind of handywork.

But I got used to it.

But then 7 years ago, I lost my brother to a drunk driver.
He had 5 kids who are now growing up without a father.

When you drink and drive, it's almost always someone else that pays when you **** up.

BIG_DADDY
05-31-2005, 06:48 PM
I've discussed this one other time here, even though I rarely share personal information.

I won't cry if you spend any time in jail if you are arrested for driving while intoxicated.

It would have been nice to have someone teach about cars, carpentry, or any kind of handywork.

But I got used to it.

When you drink and drive, it's almost always someone else that pays when you **** up.

Sorry to hear about your family bro, that really sucks.

philfree
05-31-2005, 06:53 PM

That's what I paid when I got written up for not "clicking it" but that was prolly 5 years ago. The officer said he pulled me over because my Chiefs license plate holder was covering to much of the plate.....It coulda been worse :)

The fact that BD drove away warms my heart though. Well as long as he wasn't risking harm to others and If my feeling about him is correct I'm pretty sure he wasn't. I'm glad he's not being run through the system. That would really mess with his joy of moving......

PhilFree:arrow:

philfree
05-31-2005, 06:58 PM

But I got used to it.

That's really hard man......rough. Nothing can fix it or even help a bit but I hope the guilty parties paid.

BIG_DADDY
05-31-2005, 07:00 PM
That's what I paid when I got written up for not "clicking it" but that was prolly 5 years ago. The officer said he pulled me over because my Chiefs license plate holder was covering to much of the plate.....It coulda been worse :)

The fact that BD drove away warms my heart though. Well as long as he wasn't risking harm to others and If my feeling about him is correct I'm pretty sure he wasn't. I'm glad he's not being run through the system. That would really mess with his joy of moving......

Speaking of which I better start packin AGAIN.

Hammock Parties
05-31-2005, 07:01 PM

Douchebag.

philfree
05-31-2005, 07:04 PM
Speaking of which I better start packin AGAIN.

Yeah you better get out of there before you snap and shoot the nieghbors kids with a bird bomb ROFL I've read enough to say that'a not a joke. Good luck with your move.

CosmicPal
05-31-2005, 07:05 PM

My sympathy goes out to you, bud....that must have been very difficult.

I lost an old girlfriend of mine one night when she left a party the summer after we had graduated. She asked me if I would drive her home and I declined. I figured she was trying to get some drunken "make-up" sex out of me and I really just wanted to stay at the party and party some more. Anyways, I told her she'd be all right and a few minutes later, she flipped her Jeep. I've never been the same again.

milkman
05-31-2005, 07:10 PM
My sympathy goes out to you, bud....that must have been very difficult.

I lost an old girlfriend of mine one night when she left a party the summer after we had graduated. She asked me if I would drive her home and I declined. I figured she was trying to get some drunken "make-up" sex out of me and I really just wanted to stay at the party and party some more. Anyways, I told her she'd be all right and a few minutes later, she flipped her Jeep. I've never been the same again.

At the time, I didn't realize the magnitude of what had happened.
Over the years, I came to understand what I had lost.

BIG_DADDY
05-31-2005, 07:14 PM
At the time, I didn't realize the magnitude of what had happened.
Over the years, I came to understand what I had lost.

Had to be pretty devastation. Rest assured the amount of tests they put me through was pretty significant. I doubt many straight people can do some of the balancing they asked me to do eyes open and shut. Drunk in the eye of the law and actually being drunk can be significantly different although I am sure with your past you don't want to hear that.

milkman
05-31-2005, 07:17 PM
Had to be pretty devastation. Rest assured the amount of tests they put me through was pretty significant. I doubt many straight people can do some of the balancing they asked me to do eyes open and shut. Drunk in the eye of the law and actually being drunk can be significantly different although I am sure with your past you don't want to hear that.

I'm not crazy with this, and I do know that some people have a higher alchohol tolerance than others.

What I'm trying to get at here is, before you get behind the wheel, be certain that you aren't so impaired by alchohol that it costs someone else a life or a loved one.

Skip Towne
05-31-2005, 07:28 PM
Exactly. Field sobriety tests are difficult for a person who has consumed no alcohol. That's why, in Arizona anyway, you just don't do them. In this state to give you the chemical test that counts (breathalyzer and/or drawing blood, depending on what city you're in) they have to arrest you for DUI. Any questions you answer or field tests you participate in is just giving them free PC for the arrest. There's no negative penalty for simply saying, "Sir, my attorney has advised me not to answer any questions or particpate in any field sobriety tests." That includes a roadside breathalyzer. If you refuse the chemical test after they've arrested you, you lose your license for a year. But, anything prior to that can be refused w/ the only negative consequence likely being an irritated cop.
Very good to know. Although I no longer drink (at all) and drive it is still good to know how far they can go. I recently started a thread about getting pulled over for defective exhaust (bogus) and ended with a drug dog when I wouldn't consent to a search of my vehicle. F*ck the cops, I hate every one of them.

BIG_DADDY
05-31-2005, 07:36 PM
Exactly. Field sobriety tests are difficult for a person who has consumed no alcohol. That's why, in Arizona anyway, you just don't do them. In this state to give you the chemical test that counts (breathalyzer and/or drawing blood, depending on what city you're in) they have to arrest you for DUI. Any questions you answer or field tests you participate in is just giving them free PC for the arrest. There's no negative penalty for simply saying, "Sir, my attorney has advised me not to answer any questions or particpate in any field sobriety tests." That includes a roadside breathalyzer. If you refuse the chemical test after they've arrested you, you lose your license for a year. But, anything prior to that can be refused w/ the only negative consequence likely being an irritated cop.

Had a friend beat one like that a couple years ago. I had no intention of taking the breathalyzer no matter what. Fortunately it didn't come to that.

BIG_DADDY
05-31-2005, 07:37 PM
Here's the extra kicker about Arizona... you don't have to blow over a .08 to get a DUI. There's two seperate charges... "DUI" and "BAC over .08". The DUI charge is officer's discretion. If the officer believes you're "impaired to the sligtest degree" he can give you a DUI.

I met a guy in jail who claimed to have blown a .02. Personally, if I blew a .02 and landed in jail, I'd be looking into a malpractice suit against my attorney. But, all the same, as the laws are on the books, it is techinically possible to find yourself in Tent City for being pulled over with a .02 BAC.

unbelievable

milkman
05-31-2005, 07:38 PM
Unfortunately, alcohol impairs one's judgement along w/ driving ability. Saul's really got the best plan... just make a strict rule for yourself to not drive once you've consumed at all. Wish I could say I've followed that plan 100% of the time. Thankfully my actions haven't harmed anyone outside of my pocketbook and criminal record.

I agree, Saul does have the best plan.
That, of course is the rule I live by.

BigRedChief
05-31-2005, 07:40 PM
Big Daddy your inbox is full

JOhn
05-31-2005, 07:43 PM
BIG_DADDY clean your mailbox out. :)

JOhn
05-31-2005, 07:43 PM
Big Daddy your inbox is full
DOH!!! beat me to it. :banghead:

Frazod
05-31-2005, 07:45 PM

My Mustang does the same thing. It isn't constant (go off about once a minute) but it doesn't stop. At least it didn't after about five minutes, when I got sick of listening to it and put the damn belt on.

I generally wear my seat belt anyway, though, so it doesn't really bother me.

Two words: Derrick Thomas.

As for the drunk driving thing, I haven't done it since I was in my 20s. But I did it a lot, especially when I was in high school. I was damned lucky I never killed anyone, or myself.

BigRedChief
05-31-2005, 07:50 PM
I never wore a seat belt in my life but after I worked in the ER for about a week that changed now no one gets in my car without a seat belt.

Skip Towne
05-31-2005, 07:55 PM
My Mustang does the same thing. It isn't constant (go off about once a minute) but it doesn't stop. At least it didn't after about five minutes, when I got sick of listening to it and put the damn belt on.

I generally wear my seat belt anyway, though, so it doesn't really bother me.

As for the drunk driving thing, I haven't done it since I was in my 20s. But I did it a lot, especially when I was in high school. I was damned lucky I never killed anyone, or myself.
Those sensors have to be near the seat. Find it and cut either of the two required wires and it will beep no more.

Baby Lee
05-31-2005, 07:58 PM

DT
WTF is up with sullying the Mark with sodie? Straight, Rocks or Water. Those are your choices.

Mile High Mania
05-31-2005, 08:01 PM
Passing a field sobriety test means nothing... you can be quite drunk and pass one of those. Been there, done that. The deal is, if you fear the breathalyzer... you have had too much.

It doesn't matter what you think is legal for some and legal for others... if someone has 3 or 4 beers or a couple of Maker Mark drinks and slams into your mother... you won't care if the guy was a 6'10 and 300 lb dude that "can handle" a six pack with ease, or a 5'5 and 120 lb college kid.

It has taken me a long time to drill this into my way of thinking. I was extremely lucky during my college days and my 20's. The thing about luck is that it eventually runs out.

Hammock Parties
05-31-2005, 08:03 PM

I think of him everytime I get in a car.

Frazod
05-31-2005, 08:09 PM
Those sensors have to be near the seat. Find it and cut either of the two required wires and it will beep no more.

It doesn't really bother me. Besides, the way I drive, I should definitely wear it. :evil:

BigRedChief
05-31-2005, 08:16 PM
It doesn't really bother me. Besides, the way I drive, I should definitely wear it. :evil:

No chit since I got the pony I take too many risks. I need to turn in my Stang lead foot for a Taurus one.

Frazod
05-31-2005, 08:21 PM
No chit since I got the pony I take too many risks. I need to turn in my Stang lead foot for a Taurus one.

Well, a lot of the things I do in the Mustang would be risky in normal cars, not this one. God, I love that effortless power. :thumb:

BIG_DADDY
05-31-2005, 08:46 PM
Passing a field sobriety test means nothing... you can be quite drunk and pass one of those. Been there, done that. The deal is, if you fear the breathalyzer... you have had too much.

It doesn't matter what you think is legal for some and legal for others... if someone has 3 or 4 beers or a couple of Maker Mark drinks and slams into your mother... you won't care if the guy was a 6'10 and 300 lb dude that "can handle" a six pack with ease, or a 5'5 and 120 lb college kid.

It has taken me a long time to drill this into my way of thinking. I was extremely lucky during my college days and my 20's. The thing about luck is that it eventually runs out.

Good thing I didn't get pulled over in Denver, they would have killed my dog. Bastards. :cuss:

Inspector
05-31-2005, 09:45 PM
Hey, if you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk.

Logical
05-31-2005, 09:52 PM

My advice as your BB legal adviser is too not answer this question. I fear Kotter is a NARC.

Logical
05-31-2005, 10:12 PM
Interestingly, my 1972 Mustang Mach I had exactly the same system. Seriously. I've never seen a car with that system since then.

Really, we have 5 cars and they all have it. The only thing that varies is the interval between beeps. For example on the Toyota, it beeps initially for about 10 seconds then it stops then a minute later it beeps again, onward forever. However, you cannot realistically even drive without it around here so everyone is used to wearing them. Enforcement is heavy and fines range from $50 to as much as $250 depending on where you get busted for it. I guarandamntee you will be busted out here, the worst thing is it puts a point on your license which raises your insurance rates.

BIG_DADDY
05-31-2005, 11:58 PM
My advice as your BB legal adviser is too not answer this question. I fear Kotter is a NARC.

ROFL Well he does fit the profile. ROFL

Ultra Peanut
06-01-2005, 07:13 AM
My advice as your BB legal adviser is too not answer this question. I fear Kotter is a NARC.Or at least a SNaRc.

Mr. Kotter
06-01-2005, 07:54 AM
FTR, I'm no Narc.

However, I do moonlight as a Mexican Policeman in Juarez on weekends...and I've had friends across the border from Nogales, AZ that have fugged with Brian and Phil. Heh.

cmh6476
06-01-2005, 09:19 AM
thank god for not being able to be pulled over for not wearing your seatbelt in missouri PBJ

BIG_DADDY
06-01-2005, 09:41 AM
FTR, I'm no Narc.

However, I do moonlight as a Mexican Policeman in Juarez on weekends...and I've had friends across the border from Nogales, AZ that have fugged with Brian and Phil. Heh.

Speaking of which I had a friend bring me a flyer produced by the Mexican government yesterday that shows their citizens how to get into our country. :banghead:

BigRedChief
06-01-2005, 09:44 AM
Well, a lot of the things I do in the Mustang would be risky in normal cars, not this one. God, I love that effortless power. :thumb:

No chit, taking corners that would flip other cars but you take effortlessly. Pretty cool. I'd recommend that every planeteer get theirselfs one.

Skip Towne
06-01-2005, 09:46 AM
I didn't. I took the Fif.

Pitt Gorilla
05-07-2007, 09:01 PM
Bump due to current events.

Halfcan
05-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Did they give you the test where you drop your pants down to your ankles and bend over the back of the police car??

HMc
05-08-2007, 12:24 AM
Fine in my state for the driver not wearingis $231. Then it goes up if passengers arent wearing em either. Worst case scenario, you're not wearing and you've got 4 or more passengers who aren't wearing, you're looking at <b>$1205</b> for the driver and $231 for each passenger. The passenger fines are written up against the passengers themselves.

ChiefFan31
05-08-2007, 12:54 AM

Try 86 bucks. I fuggin know, my wife got one last year, I started a thread about it.

BD, did the officer say anything about it being an administrative seat belt ticket?

When I first moved back to San Diego in 01, I got a seatbelt ticket. The officer even told me it was a 35 dollar administrative seatbelt ticket.

The second time I got one, it was over 100 bucks. The total fine was 300, but that was coupled with a tint ticket. So there is a difference.

Congrats on getting outta that jam. Seltbelt laws can blow me. Although, I almost always wear mine anymore. Too many fuggin idiots out on the road.

Edit - Lord, this thread is two years old

HMc
05-08-2007, 01:25 AM
i don't understand why you wouldn't wear a seatbelt. Wouldn't DT be alive today if he'd been wearing one?

CoMoChief
05-08-2007, 01:43 AM
Im tellin ya its really fun to fly a plane when you're higher than shit.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-08-2007, 03:19 AM

--Infidel Goat

Perhaps he should watch "Murderball" or read some disability studies theory, then. The thought that your life isn't worth living because you're in a wheelchair is really narrow-minded.