PDA

View Full Version : Computer Question

Katie
06-01-2005, 11:17 AM
So, my daugter removed her files off of an old computer and now I keep gettin a "Windows has failed to load properly" screen. It tells me to reboot in one of 4 choices - safe mode, safe mode with networking, last known working configuration and one other I can't remember right now. If I select any of them, it starts to process and stops about 1/4 of the way through.

I put the windows operating disk in the disk drive but it won't read it...anyone have suggestions?

penguinz
06-01-2005, 11:25 AM
Install firefox.

Sydd
06-01-2005, 11:28 AM
What version of Windows? If the PC won't boot from the CD there may be a 'startup' floppy disk that you can boot from. The floppy disk should ask for the CD. Without more info it is hard to say, but a "repair" install of windows might do the trick.

AeroSquid
06-01-2005, 11:28 AM
reformat/reinstall

boot to BIOS and set to boot from the cd drive. stick the xp cd in there and reboot. reformat and install xp as usual.

penguinz
06-01-2005, 11:33 AM
choose last known working configuration

Count Zarth
06-01-2005, 11:56 AM
Make sure the hard drive is connected to the motherboard. It sounds silly, but this happened to me the other day. Reseat the IDE connects firmly to the motherboard and the back of the hard drive itself.

go bowe
06-01-2005, 12:07 PM
Make sure the hard drive is connected to the motherboard. It sounds silly, but this happened to me the other day. Reseat the IDE connects firmly to the motherboard and the back of the hard drive itself.and what would you know about motherboards and hard drives, you friggin' jock, you...

just because you're a world class athelete doesn't mean that you know everything about everything, you muscle-bound goon... :p :p :p

Count Zarth
06-01-2005, 12:15 PM
and what would you know about motherboards and hard drives, you friggin' jock, you...

just because you're a world class athelete doesn't mean that you know everything about everything, you muscle-bound goon... :p :p :p

Uh...I'm not sure how to answer that. Are you serious? I've built two computers of my own and performed numerous upgrades and repairs. :shrug:

go bowe
06-01-2005, 12:33 PM
Uh...I'm not sure how to answer that. Are you serious? . . . . :shrug:surrrre, i'm serious...

look in the mirror and check out all those bulging muscles, you dunder-headed jock, you...

if muscles were brains, you'd be a friggin genious... :p :p :p

p.s. i haven't had my cheerios yet...