PDA

View Full Version : NFT: Help with Wireless P.A. Systems

Marty Mac Ver 2.0
06-01-2005, 03:48 PM
I am looking to spend about $3,000 on a kick ass wireless PA system for my Parks and Recreation Department. I need to provide sound for up to 5,000 people and need features such as a wireless system, wireless mic, built in CD player and voice over music feature.

I've heard the "Beacon" by Anchor is a good set up but I wanted to know if the tech savvy folks here on the planet have any other suggestions or input.

Thanks,
Marty

Over-Head
06-01-2005, 05:51 PM
Try Peavey’s new Sanctuary Series.
I went to a seminar on them last Monday night.
Peavey is coming a long way in sound reinforcement, and while this seminar was about religious applications both in door and out, it may well be just the thing your looking for.
I’ve used Peavey gear for 20 plus years clubbing on a regular basis and it’s never let me down yet.
They make damn near indestructible amps and cabinets, at half the price of “Other big name gear”
For wireless I’d personally go with Peavey’s PROCOM PCX U12-HS head set system.

Bob Dole
06-01-2005, 06:10 PM
Indoor or outdoor use?

grandllama
06-01-2005, 07:36 PM
I’ve used Peavey gear for 20 plus years clubbing on a regular basis and it’s never let me down yet.

I am a recent convert away from the church of Peavey... I have used their products since 1985 and always preached the gospel of Harlan... no more. I have a set of SP2's only a couple of years old that are absolutely possessed and keep blowing their crossovers and diaphrams under NO LOAD conditions.

They have been to the authorized service center, back to Mississippi and back to me several times and still blow (literally and figurativly). The service center has checked out my amp, eq, kosmos, board, and power regulator (all Peavey) and gives them a clean bill of health.

The entire situation made it very difficult to get thru prom season, blowing a speaker every friggin night. I'm switching to Mackie.

(as a side note, anybody who wants to buy Peavey pro sound equipment, send me a smoke)

grandllama
06-01-2005, 07:39 PM
I am looking to spend about $3,000 ... I need to provide sound for up to 5,000 people...

In all honesty, that may be difficult with your budget. I've got over five grand in my sound alone, and wouldn't be comfortable with over 1,000 people.

Bob Dole
06-01-2005, 07:44 PM
In all honesty, that may be difficult with your budget. I've got over five grand in my sound alone, and wouldn't be comfortable with over 1,000 people.

That's why Bob Dole asked the indoor/outdoor question. You might be able to pick up quality used components that are adequate for an indoor situation, but Bob Dole doesn't think you can put together a quality outdoor setup for that kind of cash.

Bob Dole picked up a pair of SP1's, a pair of Fender 1226's, a Peavy 4 channel brain, an 800w and a 1200w amp for a grand, but that doesn;t happen every day...

Marty Mac Ver 2.0
06-02-2005, 05:02 PM
Sorry for the delay...I am in Suns post mortem...

I would need it for outdoor use.

Marty Mac Ver 2.0
06-02-2005, 05:03 PM
I could drop the pop requirement down to 2500 as well, I was just looking to max out my audience. The system will be used for Parks and Recreation activities such as announcements during festivals or other events.

mcan
06-02-2005, 06:02 PM
All you really need is a good powered mixer and probably two or four cabinets to do a decent sized outdoor show. Of course that doesn't include stage monitors, mics and stands and ties and cables. But, if you're not going to be doing SHOWS or loud music, then you can get along just fine. Every powered mixer will have an RCA input that you can plug in a decent CD player. It will also have at least a couple channels for microphones (etc...).

I figure you can get the mixer and the cabinets for about $2,000.00. I have seen Peavey stuff last forever. Most of it is American made and done pretty well. I recommend them. As for warrenty work, I have yet to see a "trouble speaker" go back to the manufacturer and come back and work perfectly for any extended period of time. This is true for EVERY sound company that I've seen. Pretty much, if something isn't working right. GET YOUR MONEY BACK RIGHT AWAY. Get a replacement.

Then you have to buy the wireless system. These range from cheap to rediculous. There are VHF (cheaper) and UHF systems, and a broad range to choose from within each catagory. Either can get interference from a long range of devices that compete for the same frequencies. Of course, the better the system, the more likely that you'll get a "locked" frequency. Plus, there are a broad range of qualities of the microphone. Basically, I wouldn't buy a wireless system for less than 3-4 hundred bucks. (I'll be honest, it's been a long time since I worked for the music store, so these my have fluctuated in price quite a bit. The price of guitar accessories and stupid things like harmonicas has all gone up dramatically, but big screen TVs keep getting cheaper... It's all quite maddening).

Chiefsrocker
06-02-2005, 07:16 PM
I have 2 DJ set-ups and run sound reinforcement for bands and I run Peavey equipment only. We are pretty hard on the band stuff and never had a big problem with any of the equipment. Few blown subs, but easily replaceable. As for wireless mics, I run Shure and Nady's. If you live cl;ost to KC, check out Musician's Friend warehouse off of Front street. I have been there several times. htey have all their returns and scratch and dent stuff. Some junk, but some good deals if you want to try a few different brands. But I do really like the Peavey monitors and boards.

grandllama
06-02-2005, 07:44 PM
Bob Dole picked up a pair of SP1's, a pair of Fender 1226's, a Peavy 4 channel brain, an 800w and a 1200w amp for a grand, but that doesn;t happen every day...

You must have the luck of my friend Jimi, he picked up two Mackie 1501 powered subs for $400 total (retail $1250 a piece)

I never come up with that good of bargains :cuss: