PDA

View Full Version : Eagles

Mr. Laz
06-01-2005, 08:07 PM
one of the best bands EVAH!

special live tour show on t.v. tonight ... still sound great! :clap:

Ari Chi3fs
06-01-2005, 08:10 PM
i wish i have 4 girls that wanted to stone me.

chagrin
06-01-2005, 08:21 PM
No Felder = No Eagles

Skip Towne
06-01-2005, 08:24 PM
i wish i have 4 girls that wanted to stone me.
No, 4 that want to own me, two that want to stone me, One says she's a friend of mine. What time is the show? What channel?

cdcox
06-01-2005, 08:27 PM
No, 4 that want to own me, two that want to stone me, One says she's a friend of mine. What time is the show? What channel?

It's only on cable.

Rausch
06-01-2005, 08:28 PM
It's only on cable.

No, it wasn't.

It WAS on ABC...

chagrin
06-01-2005, 08:29 PM
cox, yer joking right? It was on NBC

cdcox
06-01-2005, 08:33 PM
cox, yer joking right? It was on NBC

Would it help if you knew that Skip is the Supreme-Pimp-Poobah of all things DirecTV?

chagrin
06-01-2005, 08:34 PM
AHHHHH,
nevermind :(
tip toeing out the door

Skip Towne
06-01-2005, 08:37 PM
It's only on cable.
Really? Then it is the first show EVAR that cable had that Directv didn't. Actually that's not quite true. Can you guess what some cable systems have that Directv doesn't?

Skip Towne
06-01-2005, 08:40 PM
Would it help if you knew that Skip is the Supreme-Pimp-Poobah of all things DirecTV?
Bless you Mr. Seedy Cocks (Hey, I stole that from Phobia fair and square)

mcan
06-01-2005, 10:09 PM
No Felder = No Eagles

Oh... Then you must not like their first album at all. Maybe people shoulda said that when Bernie Leaden left... Felder got all pissy about money (because Henley and Frey supposedly get a bigger cut of the revenues that "THE EAGLES" brings in (it's actually a corporation). Henley and Frey insist that they all get an equal share of those revenues. Felder thought he could go on strike or something to get his fair share, and instead they kicked him out of the band. Then he tried to sue them. I'm not sure what the "truth" is, but I've seen them live twice, and they were brilliant with AND without Felder. I'm really bummed I missed out on the show tonight.

mnchiefsguy
06-01-2005, 10:22 PM
They are replaying the show tomorrow night on Bravo at 8pm eastern/7pm central, so you have a second chance to catch it.

Skip Towne
06-01-2005, 10:28 PM
Oh... Then you must not like their first album at all. Maybe people shoulda said that when Bernie Leaden left... Felder got all pissy about money (because Henley and Frey supposedly get a bigger cut of the revenues that "THE EAGLES" brings in (it's actually a corporation). Henley and Frey insist that they all get an equal share of those revenues. Felder thought he could go on strike or something to get his fair share, and instead they kicked him out of the band. Then he tried to sue them. I'm not sure what the "truth" is, but I've seen them live twice, and they were brilliant with AND without Felder. I'm really bummed I missed out on the show tonight.
Henley should have gotten 80% of the money. He did well without the other Eagles.

Miles
06-01-2005, 10:39 PM
The Dude: Jesus, man, could you change the channel?
Cab Driver: F*ck you man. If you don't like my f*ckin' music get your own f*ckin' cab!
The Dude: I had a rough...
Cab Driver: I pull over and kick your ass out!
The Dude: Come on, man. I had a rough night and I hate the f*ckin' Eagles, man!

C-Mac
06-01-2005, 10:40 PM
Henley should have gotten 80% of the money. He did well without the other Eagles.

He is what Phil Collins was to Genesis or what Sting was to the Police. They are pure song writers swimming among the average.
I do enjoy what Joe Walsh added to the Eagles.

tk13
06-01-2005, 10:51 PM
He is what Phil Collins was to Genesis

Oh... my.... goodness....... must...not... explode... :shake:

Seriously though, usually that sets me off when people say that. A weird pet peeve of mine. Genesis was hardly Phil Collins. In fact Phil was probably the worst songwriter of the bunch, and he'll openly admit that. Even some of the most "poppy" Genesis songs in the 80's he couldn't have done by himself because the keyboardist, Tony Banks, was the only one who knew or had the ability to play the odd chord sequences on the keyboard. I love Phil and I think he was the most talented musician of the bunch, but even the band's manager has said the only member of the band that wasn't replaceable was Tony Banks, because he was really the heart of Genesis with his keyboard abilities.

[/end rant] You can resume your Eagles thread now. I watched bits of it tonight, pretty good stuff.

Saulbadguy
06-01-2005, 10:53 PM
The Dude: Jesus, man, could you change the channel?
Cab Driver: F*ck you man. If you don't like my f*ckin' music get your own f*ckin' cab!
The Dude: I had a rough...
Cab Driver: I pull over and kick your ass out!
The Dude: Come on, man. I had a rough night and I hate the f*ckin' Eagles, man!
Bah...I was too late. :cuss:

C-Mac
06-01-2005, 10:58 PM

Seriously though, usually that sets me off when people say that. A weird pet peeve of mine. Genesis was hardly Phil Collins. In fact Phil was probably the worst songwriter of the bunch, and he'll openly admit that. Even some of the most "poppy" Genesis songs in the 80's he couldn't have done by himself because the keyboardist, Tony Banks, was the only one who knew or had the ability to play the odd chord sequences on the keyboard. I love Phil and I think he was the most talented musician of the bunch, but even the band's manager has said the only member of the band that wasn't replaceable was Tony Banks, because he was really the heart of Genesis with his keyboard abilities.

[/end rant] You can resume your Eagles thread now. I watched bits of it tonight, pretty good stuff.

Your right not a good example, but I still havent seen Genesis(or Banks) do anything without him.

tk13
06-01-2005, 11:12 PM
Your right not a good example, but I still havent seen Genesis(or Banks) do anything without him.
Mike & the Mechanics was fairly successful for it's time, "Mike" is Mike Rutherford, the guitarist for Genesis. And they only released one more CD with a lesser known singer as Genesis once Phil left, and it actually wasn't too bad, a lot more hard rock/alternative sounding but since it didn't have Phil's famous face on the front it wasn't hardly promoted in the US, and didn't do well here. I think there were a couple songs that could've done real well in the states but they released the wrong ones as singles. The album did pretty well everywhere else in the world though. Other than that though the only thing Tony Banks has done really is work on classical music, which isn't exactly tearing up the top 40 charts as far as I know. :)

And really for that matter, Phil hasn't had nearly as much commercial success since leaving Genesis, except for his work on the Tarzan movies he won an Oscar for.

KCWolfman
06-01-2005, 11:19 PM
He is what Phil Collins was to Genesis or what Sting was to the Police. They are pure song writers swimming among the average.
You missed Peter Gabriel with the group. Phil Collins was Quincy Carter to his Joe Montana.

C-Mac
06-01-2005, 11:21 PM
Mike & the Mechanics was fairly successful for it's time, "Mike" is Mike Rutherford, the guitarist for Genesis. And they only released one more CD with a lesser known singer as Genesis once Phil left, and it actually wasn't too bad, a lot more hard rock/alternative sounding but since it didn't have Phil's famous face on the front it wasn't hardly promoted in the US, and didn't do well here. I think there were a couple songs that could've done real well in the states but they released the wrong ones as singles. The album did pretty well everywhere else in the world though. Other than that though the only thing Tony Banks has done really is work on classical music, which isn't exactly tearing up the top 40 charts as far as I know. :)

And really for that matter, Phil hasn't had nearly as much commercial success since leaving Genesis, except for his work on the Tarzan movies he won an Oscar for.

He has had several top ten songs and albums over the years though.
As far as Mike and the Mechanics, I really did enjoy their style of music.

Miles
06-01-2005, 11:41 PM

Seriously though, usually that sets me off when people say that. A weird pet peeve of mine. Genesis was hardly Phil Collins.

"Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent.

I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little.

Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your asshole. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite."

huskerdooz
06-02-2005, 12:41 AM
You missed Peter Gabriel with the group. Phil Collins was Quincy Carter to his Joe Montana.

I was wondering if anyone was going to mention PG. Genesis became much more mainstream after he left the band. Never the less, IMO their body of work before he left was every bit as good as that after his departure.

tk13
06-02-2005, 12:55 AM
I was wondering if anyone was going to mention PG. Genesis became much more mainstream after he left the band. Never the less, IMO their body of work before he left was every bit as good as that after his departure.
Yeah, I'm kind of in the middle on that. Most people seem to like the Gabriel era or the real popular 80's stuff, and there isn't much I don't like when it comes to Genesis but it seems like I like a lot of the stuff in between the best, from Trick of the Tail to Abacab or so, the earlier Collins stuff after Peter left the band. Those really might be my favorite two Genesis albums, hard to say though, depends on what mood I'm in. (He says while listening to PG... :))

tk13
06-02-2005, 01:00 AM
"Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent.

I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little.

Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your asshole. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite."
That's from American Psycho isn't it? I know of it, haven't seen it. I know the band is mentioned in the movie. That's pretty twisted. Plus, any real Genesis fan would know Mike Rutherford wrote the lyrics to Land of Confusion. Ruins the whole thing. :)

huskerdooz
06-02-2005, 01:05 AM
That's from American Psycho isn't it? I know of it, haven't seen it. I know the band is mentioned in the movie. That's pretty twisted. Plus, any real Genesis fan would know Mike Rutherford wrote the lyrics to Land of Confusion. Ruins the whole thing. :)

I wondered what that was all about.

chagrin
06-02-2005, 06:12 AM

Well, we all have a right to our opinions don't we.

"Maybe people shoulda said that when Bernie Leaden left"
Many people do, but I don't know how much I miss the potato farmer.

I can't imagine how "brilliant" they were without Felder's licks. I heard them last night and did not enjoy it, I turned off after less than 5 minutes. then again, that's just the way I am about these things. Just my opinion.

Nzoner
06-02-2005, 07:07 AM

Same here,but I still prefer Walsh solo.

cadmonkey
06-02-2005, 07:28 AM
Bah...I was too late. :cuss:

So was I, f*ck!!!!!!

Traveller
06-02-2005, 09:44 AM

Hit that square on the head....

StcChief
06-02-2005, 11:00 AM
Great band. Saw them twice.

1975 - Iowa St.Fair grounds (festival seating) sitting on track 50 ft. stage center. All day rock show.

1977 - Cominski Park in Chicago much further away all day rock show.

mcan
06-02-2005, 01:17 PM
Well, we all have a right to our opinions don't we.

"Maybe people shoulda said that when Bernie Leaden left"
Many people do, but I don't know how much I miss the potato farmer.

I can't imagine how "brilliant" they were without Felder's licks. I heard them last night and did not enjoy it, I turned off after less than 5 minutes. then again, that's just the way I am about these things. Just my opinion.

Don't get me wrong. Felder is a fantastic player. However, I don't think they'll miss him all that much. We'll see how the new songs turn out (if that new album ever gets finished) but I doubt you'll even notice him being gone. The new guy, Steuart Smith, is just as talented. But since he's a newbie, he'll probably not cause as many problems. My only question is: can this new guy add cool stuff to an album. If "Whole in the World" is any indication, he wasn't even in the studio, and that track sucked ass. I would be cool if they could just do it like the old days. Grab a legendary producer and go to England to record for a couple months... Instead they're just recording in LA whenever they all happen to be in town.

ENDelt260
06-02-2005, 01:19 PM
I hate the f*ckin' Eagles, man!

I agree with The Dude.

Mr. Laz
06-02-2005, 06:36 PM
Eagles concert show starts in 24 minutes on Bravo

on friday again at 11:30 a.m. on Bravo again