PDA

View Full Version : Laptops

PastorMikH
06-01-2005, 09:06 PM
I'm kinda thinking about picking up a used one. I'd like to be able to work while traveling, as well as remote internet access as well as being able to play a few games and watch a few movies and so on.

I'm looking for something around a 2.0 Ghz with XP. What's worth looking at? I'd like to know which brands are most reliable as well as upgradable without going back to the original manufacturer.

Also, while traveling, how would I surf the net? Since I am on cable here, I do not have a dialup account to access. I see a lot of hotels that advertise internet access. Just curious how all that actually works.

Lastly, I do have a lady in the Church with a Dell laptop that she is trying to sell. Seems as though it won't charge the battery pack but it works fine if it is plugged into a power source. Anyone had any experience with any problems like that?

Thanks in advance!

Donger
06-01-2005, 09:48 PM
I'm kinda thinking about picking up a used one. I'd like to be able to work while traveling, as well as remote internet access as well as being able to play a few games and watch a few movies and so on.

I'm looking for something around a 2.0 Ghz with XP. What's worth looking at? I'd like to know which brands are most reliable as well as upgradable without going back to the original manufacturer.

Also, while traveling, how would I surf the net? Since I am on cable here, I do not have a dialup account to access. I see a lot of hotels that advertise internet access. Just curious how all that actually works.

Lastly, I do have a lady in the Church with a Dell laptop that she is trying to sell. Seems as though it won't charge the battery pack but it works fine if it is plugged into a power source. Anyone had any experience with any problems like that?

Thanks in advance!

As to high speed access, most hotels now have it. Some charge for it, however. Also, some are hard-wired and some are Wi-Fi. Just depends. Call the hotel you're looking at reserving and ask if they charge, and what type (wired vs. wired) they have. FYI, about 90% of the time the front desk people don't know the difference, but they do know wehter or not they have access. Be prepared for both.

PastorMikH
06-02-2005, 09:52 AM
As to high speed access, most hotels now have it. Some charge for it, however. Also, some are hard-wired and some are Wi-Fi. Just depends. Call the hotel you're looking at reserving and ask if they charge, and what type (wired vs. wired) they have. FYI, about 90% of the time the front desk people don't know the difference, but they do know wehter or not they have access. Be prepared for both.

Thanks

HC_Chief
06-02-2005, 09:58 AM
Dell laptops are very good... we use them at work.

The battery pack not holding a charge typically means bad battery. ;) You can buy replacements from Dell.

FTR I'm using a D505 right now... have used it for over a year and have had zero problems.

PastorMikH
06-02-2005, 10:05 AM
Dell laptops are very good... we use them at work.

The battery pack not holding a charge typically means bad battery. ;) You can buy replacements from Dell.

FTR I'm using a D505 right now... have used it for over a year and have had zero problems.

She bought another battery pack and it is doing the same. The former Pastor was going to buy it but backed off once he realized the problem.

Do they have bettery pack chargers that are separate from the laptops?

HC_Chief
06-02-2005, 10:10 AM
She bought another battery pack and it is doing the same. The former Pastor was going to buy it but backed off once he realized the problem.

Do they have bettery pack chargers that are separate from the laptops?

Hmmm, that sounds odd. The 'charger' is the laptop itself. When you attach the AC cable the system automatically charges the DC battery. If a new battery didn't fix the problem, there's definitely something wrong with the internals. At least, that would be my diagnosis from the limited info presented here.

Has she contacted Dell support?

htismaqe
06-02-2005, 11:40 AM
I strongly recommend NOT going with a Dell laptop.

To add to all of the other reasons I've given previously ad nauseum in other threads, our IT department is in Omaha today for the first 30 of what will be over ONE THOUSAND motherboard replacements.

HC_Chief
06-02-2005, 01:22 PM

To add to all of the other reasons I've given previously ad nauseum in other threads, our IT department is in Omaha today for the first 30 of what will be over ONE THOUSAND motherboard replacements.

Shouldn't have bought your Dell laptops from Tijuana street vendors ;)

The "Designed for el Weendows" label should have tipped you off.

htismaqe
06-02-2005, 01:29 PM
Shouldn't have bought your Dell laptops from Tijuana street vendors ;)

The "Designed for el Weendows" label should have tipped you off.

:D

I talked to a guy that I used to work with (the place that had 25% of their new Dell laptop purchases unable to boot out of the box) and he said they're going back to IBM.

They originally went to Dell because IBM's support was horrible. They figured they spent almost 3 hours per incident on the phone with IBM. They benchmarked several companies and decided to go with Dell because of their service, including a low "hours per incident" rating.

Well, they're now going back to IBM because even though Dell's support is SUPERB, they're not finding any efficiency.

3 hours per incident * 5 incidents per month = 15 support hours per month
1 hour per incident * FIFTY incidents per month = 50 support hours per month

HC_Chief
06-02-2005, 01:34 PM
That's crazy. I have never heard of batch problems with Dell systems... they're typically among the most reliable. Like I said, our company uses them... can't remember a single hardware issue. :shrug:

shakesthecat
06-02-2005, 01:36 PM
FWIW, we've purchased about 10 Dell Latitude's over the past 2 years and haven't had a single issue with any of them.

Never tried IBM, but we had numerous problems with the Compaq Presario line we used to get.

Edit:I meant to say IBM originally.

htismaqe
06-02-2005, 02:39 PM
That's crazy. I have never heard of batch problems with Dell systems... they're typically among the most reliable. Like I said, our company uses them... can't remember a single hardware issue. :shrug:

I've used dozen's of Dell DESKTOPS between jobs and home, and just like you, I've never had a single issue. My Dell at home is going on 5-years old and not only that, it's been up with no reboots for 186 days and counting.

It's the Dell LAPTOPS exclusively that I've had issues with. Currently, our IT department is replacing every Dell D600 that's service ID ends with "31". They all have defective motherboards. Preliminary report from my friend that works in IT is that it's over a thousand laptops.

AeroSquid
06-02-2005, 03:06 PM
IBM > Dell,HP,Sony,Comapaq,Gateway,Acer

If you want a really good laptop that will last for a long time get a Mac.

Seriously.

Saulbadguy
06-02-2005, 03:13 PM

Sounds like what our company is doing. Over 1k motherboards in IBM desktops. Leaking/exploding capacitors.

PastorMikH
06-02-2005, 03:52 PM
....Leaking/exploding capacitors.

That doesn't sound positive.

KC Jones
06-02-2005, 08:13 PM
IBM > Dell,HP,Sony,Comapaq,Gateway,Acer

If you want a really good laptop that will last for a long time get a Mac.

Seriously.

pretty much - all the uber nerds are toting power books these days. However asking someone familiar with one desktop interface from the last 10 years to try a new one is a pretty big undertaking.

I've been relatively happy with my wife's Toshiba laptop.

DenverChief
06-02-2005, 08:22 PM
pretty much - all the uber nerds are toting power books these days. However asking someone familiar with one desktop interface from the last 10 years to try a new one is a pretty big undertaking.

I've been relatively happy with my wife's Toshiba laptop.

it took me all of about 2 weeks to understand the Mac platform....I still learn new things everyday with the mac but am very satisfied with my "switch"

PastorMikH
06-02-2005, 08:38 PM
There are several things keeping me from a mac. I want to work back and forth with different computers, all are PC platforms. Also, all of the programs I want to use are for the PC, I may not be able to get all of them to work on a mac. Also, price is a concern. I'm hoping to pick up a decent mid-level used laptop for around $500. That won't happen with a comparable mac.

DenverChief
06-02-2005, 08:48 PM
There are several things keeping me from a mac. I want to work back and forth with different computers, all are PC platforms. Also, all of the programs I want to use are for the PC, I may not be able to get all of them to work on a mac. Also, price is a concern. I'm hoping to pick up a decent mid-level used laptop for around $500. That won't happen with a comparable mac.

You can check ebay they always heave deals.....as far as PC vs the new mac goes OSX is based upon windows the only difference is click n drag vs right click and single click vs double click...other than that not much difference....and software is pretty compatable, there aren't very many programs that aren't also made in a mac verson....

DenverChief
06-02-2005, 08:55 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=80050&item=5778309145&rd=1

this comp ends in 34 mins at $543

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=80050&item=5779083574&rd=1

DenverChief
06-02-2005, 09:00 PM
$525

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=80050&item=5777906012&rd=1

htismaqe
06-03-2005, 07:02 AM
You can check ebay they always heave deals.....as far as PC vs the new mac goes OSX is based upon windows the only difference is click n drag vs right click and single click vs double click...other than that not much difference....and software is pretty compatable, there aren't very many programs that aren't also made in a mac verson....

That's really not true. If you're talking about core productivity apps like word processing, spreadsheets, and the like then sure, there's Mac versions available.

But saying that there "aren't very many programs" that aren't also made for the Mac is definitely wrong. You can't go to Tucows or Download.com and pick through the hundreds of thousands of freeware/shareware titles if you have a Mac.

Saulbadguy
06-03-2005, 07:22 AM
Popular games aren't made for MACs, and if they are, they are made a year later.

PastorMikH
06-03-2005, 08:28 AM
That's really not true. If you're talking about core productivity apps like word processing, spreadsheets, and the like then sure, there's Mac versions available.

But saying that there "aren't very many programs" that aren't also made for the Mac is definitely wrong. You can't go to Tucows or Download.com and pick through the hundreds of thousands of freeware/shareware titles if you have a Mac.

Add in the fact that I already have programs for the PC platform and though I can get the same programs in the Mac platform, I would have to BUY them for the Mac platform.

I'll pass on the apple.

HC_Chief
06-03-2005, 08:41 AM
Macs are great if you're an artist, an idiot, or one of those assholes who always has to do everything differently than everyone else because they think it makes them look smart & cool (when they're really just another flavor of idiot) ;)

AeroSquid
06-03-2005, 10:47 AM
Popular games aren't made for MACs, and if they are, they are made a year later.

This is a laptop thread tho and laptop people are usually not gamers. Mac people are usually weirdos. :spock: Playing high end games on a laptop is either a waste of time (cause the pc can't run it) or a waste of money (cause the pc cost too damn much)

DenverChief
06-03-2005, 11:24 AM
Download.com and pick through the hundreds of thousands of freeware/shareware titles if you have a Mac.

:BS: do it all the time

DenverChief
06-03-2005, 11:31 AM
I would have to BUY them for the Mac platform.

not necessarily....I don't want to incriminate myself tho :D

AeroSquid
06-03-2005, 11:42 AM
watch out for spyware/adware in files you get from download.com ;)

htismaqe
06-03-2005, 11:55 AM
:BS: do it all the time

Hundreds of thousands? You're full of chit.

nmt1
06-03-2005, 12:14 PM
I've used dozen's of Dell DESKTOPS between jobs and home, and just like you, I've never had a single issue. My Dell at home is going on 5-years old and not only that, it's been up with no reboots for 186 days and counting.

It's the Dell LAPTOPS exclusively that I've had issues with. Currently, our IT department is replacing every Dell D600 that's service ID ends with "31". They all have defective motherboards. Preliminary report from my friend that works in IT is that it's over a thousand laptops.

We're an all Dell shop, 20,000+ computers. We've had issues with entire lots of laptops, the biggest of which was a company wide hard drive failure in C600's. As best I know, Dell replaced all of them under warranty though we were responsible for the work. The only consistent problem we've had with D600's is touch pads. That happened with our C600's and C610's as well.
As far as desktops go, we've had consistant problems with hard drives and motherboards both in the GX270 model. We're currently experiencing CD drive failure in GX240's that are nearing the end of their lease cycles. I love the GX280. Serial ATA and PCIe. They scream.
Dell would do themselves a favor by getting away from Maxtor as a hard drive supplier. That brand has failed in our Dell machines far and away more than any others.
We used to be an IBM shop until 4 years ago. We had consistent systemboard problems in the Netvista as well as failed processor fans and hard drives in the 300PL. Surprisingly, their laptops did quite well for us.
At a previous job I had hard drive problems with Toshiba laptops.
All PC manufacturers get crappy parts from their suppliers. I wouldn't blame it on any particular assembler.

dirk digler
06-03-2005, 01:46 PM
We're an all Dell shop, 20,000+ computers. We've had issues with entire lots of laptops, the biggest of which was a company wide hard drive failure in C600's. As best I know, Dell replaced all of them under warranty though we were responsible for the work. The only consistent problem we've had with D600's is touch pads. That happened with our C600's and C610's as well.
As far as desktops go, we've had consistant problems with hard drives and motherboards both in the GX270 model. We're currently experiencing CD drive failure in GX240's that are nearing the end of their lease cycles. I love the GX280. Serial ATA and PCIe. They scream.
Dell would do themselves a favor by getting away from Maxtor as a hard drive supplier. That brand has failed in our Dell machines far and away more than any others.
We used to be an IBM shop until 4 years ago. We had consistent systemboard problems in the Netvista as well as failed processor fans and hard drives in the 300PL. Surprisingly, their laptops did quite well for us.
At a previous job I had hard drive problems with Toshiba laptops.
All PC manufacturers get crappy parts from their suppliers. I wouldn't blame it on any particular assembler.

We are a Dell Shop with a little over 500 PC's and just a handful of laptops. We have never had any major issues with either besides the occassional motherboard or hard drive failure. IMO that is going to happen with any PC brand not just Dell.

We started out using the GX150's and now up to the 280's and you are right they scream and they are very solid PC's. Most of our problems are with the GX150's simply because they are nearing 4 yrs old and that is pretty much the end of the lifecycle for them.

I can't speak for the laptops since we only have about 10 but we have had to replace a couple of motherboards and we also had the same problem on a couple of the C600's with the touchpad.

I am not real impressed with the laptops but I will recommend to anyone to buy their desktops which IMO are the best in PC industry for the price.

htismaqe
06-03-2005, 02:07 PM
I am not real impressed with the laptops but I will recommend to anyone to buy their desktops which IMO are the best in PC industry for the price.

Yep.

DenverChief
06-04-2005, 12:38 AM
Hundreds of thousands? You're full of chit.

who needs 100 versions of the same thing?

htismaqe
06-04-2005, 09:05 AM
who needs 100 versions of the same thing?

That's a typical argument for the Mac owner.

The simple fact is if I want a free utility to pull encrypted files off of a CD for example, I have hundreds to choose from, all of which may have some subtle and unique differences.

KC Jones
06-04-2005, 10:13 AM
Macs are great if you're an artist, an idiot, or one of those assholes who always has to do everything differently than everyone else because they think it makes them look smart & cool (when they're really just another flavor of idiot) ;)

There are a lot of top architects, engineers, computer scientists etc. from the unix world buying macs now because of the BSD based OS. I'm not sure they fall into any of your categories. The senior engineer on our team just picked up a power book and he swears by it. He's responsible for a distributed application integration framework that handles 4-5 million transactions a day. Downtime is estimated to cost the company somewhere between $7,000-$15,000 per minute. He's got a masters from Cal-Berkley. He's not trying to look smart, he's just picking a tool that works well for his needs.

DenverChief
06-04-2005, 10:41 AM
That's a typical argument for the Mac owner.

The simple fact is if I want a free utility to pull encrypted files off of a CD for example, I have hundreds to choose from, all of which may have some subtle and unique differences.

I own both by the way but I spend more time on my mac.....back to the point at hand ...choice is nice but I'll take stability and reliability over plethora of choice anyday

HC_Chief
06-04-2005, 11:27 AM
He's got a masters from Cal-Berkley.

Liberal Idiot. :D

htismaqe
06-04-2005, 11:35 AM
I own both by the way but I spend more time on my mac.....back to the point at hand ...choice is nice but I'll take stability and reliability over plethora of choice anyday

See that's just the thing.

I have BOTH choice and reliability.

My windows machine here has been up for over 6 months without a reboot.

Manila-Chief
06-06-2005, 11:06 PM
Mike,

Sorry, I'm late with this reply. When you wrote I was having a problem with my Zone Alarm Pro closing down True Vector and not allowing me more than 5 minutes on the net.

If you travel you will love having a laptop. You can take your speaking resources and have them ready to use. I have one and when we retire, it will be nice to take all my info in my hands and just hook it up back there.

I bought a Dell Inspiron 8200 in early 2003 while we were in the U.S.A. I think Dell's service is great if you live in the U.S.A. I've had problems with my LCD screen. There is a 3 year warranty on it. The only problem is the fact that I live over here and there is no service center here. But they have shipped me a new screen to a volunteer missionary who will bring it to me next week. I'll get it installed and he will take back the defective part for me and mail it back to them. I may have a problem in that they wanted the defective part returned in 5 days and may charge me for it? All I say is good luck to them coz, I have an email record of me asking them to cancel the order, and them telling me that the order was cancelled. They sent it anyway.

Now, a problem I had was trying to communicat with their online service people in India. They didn't understand English. It took about a dozen emails but I finally got them to understand.

When I purchased it, I was debating a Dell or a Toshiba. I choose Dell because the HD was faster ... 7800 and not 5400. The Toshiba had a built in Wi Fi. Now, I wished I had bought the Toshiba because of the Wi Fi connection (could use it next month in Chaing Mai, Thailand). Also, there is a Toshiba service center near my house.

But, I am pleased with the Dell. I have it hooked up to a monitor and keyboard connected to it and use it like a CPU.

nmt1
06-07-2005, 07:35 AM

Gotten any D610's yet? I imaged and installed one the other day for a user. It ran very well with 2000 Pro. I've noticed improved performance over even the last batch of D600's we got in. The lease on my laptop runs out in December and I should be getting a D610. Can't wait to get rid of this C610.
I don't have a problem with Dell laptops but one should definitly get their three year warranty with on site service to go with it. Also, don't plan on using it much after three years. That's when stuff really starts to break.

PastorMikH
06-08-2005, 10:18 PM

Thanks M-C and others.

I'm still kicking around which way to go. No DC, I will not go apple.:) Dell is definately the easiest with finaincing options and such - though I'd really rather pay cash and it seems that I'm about $200 short for anything I want.

Ebay is another option. Picking up one used or refurbishid. I am also toying around with the idea of trying to build one from scrap parts. This option is a bit pricier than with a desktop and I am also having a hard time making up my mind what I'd actually want to build. Desktops, any ol' case will work with most parts and such, laptops get pretty particular.

I decided to pass on the laptop the lady in our church had. Or should I say she decided to not sell it after all after the quote I gave here - and it was 2x higher than the other quote she got.

Part of me is thinking of stepping back to PIII and getting something in the 1 Ghz range to use when traveling.

What will probably happen though is that now that the wife knows about the computer $ stash, she will probably find some bills to spend it on - I'm threatening to buy a REALLY nice Dell with Dell Credit though if she does so we're at a stalemate on it right now.:)

Pants
06-08-2005, 10:24 PM
Thanks M-C and others.

I'm still kicking around which way to go. No DC, I will not go apple.:) Dell is definately the easiest with finaincing options and such - though I'd really rather pay cash and it seems that I'm about $200 short for anything I want.

Ebay is another option. Picking up one used or refurbishid. I am also toying around with the idea of trying to build one from scrap parts. This option is a bit pricier than with a desktop and I am also having a hard time making up my mind what I'd actually want to build. Desktops, any ol' case will work with most parts and such, laptops get pretty particular.

I decided to pass on the laptop the lady in our church had. Or should I say she decided to not sell it after all after the quote I gave here - and it was 2x higher than the other quote she got.

Part of me is thinking of stepping back to PIII and getting something in the 1 Ghz range to use when traveling.

What will probably happen though is that now that the wife knows about the computer $ stash, she will probably find some bills to spend it on - I'm threatening to buy a REALLY nice Dell with Dell Credit though if she does so we're at a stalemate on it right now.:)

Where do you live, Pastor, and do you receive MicroCenter ad papers over there? I skimmed the one I got today and they had a huge sale on Laptops. Let me go grab it, and I can post some deals if you want.

PastorMikH
06-08-2005, 10:26 PM
Where do you live, Pastor, and do you receive MicroCenter ad papers over there? I skimmed the one I got today and they had a huge sale on Laptops. Let me go grab it, and I can post some deals if you want.

Thanks! I believe I just found them on the net. Looks like they have AMDs too - I'd prefer the AMD but hadn't seen them much in the notebook world.

AeroSquid
06-09-2005, 06:40 AM
Thanks! I believe I just found them on the net. Looks like they have AMDs too - I'd prefer the AMD but hadn't seen them much in the notebook world.

the Pentium M is the best laptop processor ;)

and i'm an AMD fanboy.

HC_Chief
06-09-2005, 08:20 AM
the Pentium M is the best laptop processor ;)

and i'm an AMD fanboy.

Yep... AMDs run hot. I would be leary of an AMD laptop; laptops do not have good ventilation, something could easily fry.

I use AMDs exclusively for my desktop systems (gamer) ;)

PastorMikH
07-01-2005, 07:09 AM
Well, after an Ebay deal that went bad, I finally broke down and ordered a laptop from HP. The ze2000z custom build is ordered and should be built in the next week.

The thing I am most anxios about is that I upgraded to the new AMD Turion 64 processor (This was the only model HP had that offered this processor). AMD gives it some really good reviews but it is new enough that there weren't a lot of other sites givign reviews. It is supposed to be thinner, run cooler, more power effecient (easier on the battery), and still have plenty of processing power. I'm not sure if it ranks in relation to the Athlon, but I did notice that it is slightly more expensive than the Athlon so I am hoping it is of comparable performance.

Also upgaded on the XBright screen. After seeing those at the local CompUSA, there was enough difference in clarity that I just couldn't do without.

And, (This is for Gaz) as soon as I get it, I will be reformatting the HD and putting my generic version of XP Pro on it to get rid of all the HP junk.:):)

AeroSquid
07-01-2005, 08:34 AM
Yep... AMDs run hot. I would be leary of an AMD laptop; laptops do not have good ventilation, something could easily fry.

I use AMDs exclusively for my desktop systems (gamer) ;)

lol hot. Check out a P4 Prescott core sometime if you want to see hot :)

Can't wait to hear how that Turion works, the Pentium M needs some competition.

WolfDawg
07-01-2005, 09:45 PM
I Have a Compaq it's crap.

My first work laptop was a Dell, crap.

Now I have a IBM thinkpad T-series and it's great.

PastorMikH
07-12-2005, 11:41 AM
Well, the new laptop showed up yesterday. I was shocked that it was built in China and was mailed friday from China and got here at 10:30 yesterday morning. It is the HP ze2000 with the AMD Turion processer that I wrote about a week or so back. So far I am impressed, though I must admit that I don't really have anything to provide a fair comparison. My house computer is an AMD Athlon 1800+ and the office computer is a Celery 500 mhz. But it is definately blowing both of those away. Since this is my first laptop, I also am not sure about battery life compared to others. I haven't even had time yet to try and see if it will play an entire movie or not.

I am enjoying the perks of a laptop though. The same computer at home or the office instead of having to shuttle files back and forth. Also, sitting out in the backyard last night, the wife in one lawn chair reading a book and me in the other surfing the Planet was pretty cool.

Also, the Brightview screen is awesome. I've been on it all morning and have no headache whatsoever. With a Dell 600m that I looked at (The one in my original post), 30 minutes was about all I could stand before I had to put it down for a while.

It needs more RAM (Currently at 256k) but I could buy RAM cheaper aftermarket so I opted to save a bit now and then upgrade a month or two down the road.

Pants
07-12-2005, 12:51 PM
Well, the new laptop showed up yesterday. I was shocked that it was built in China and was mailed friday from China and got here at 10:30 yesterday morning. It is the HP ze2000 with the AMD Turion processer that I wrote about a week or so back. So far I am impressed, though I must admit that I don't really have anything to provide a fair comparison. My house computer is an AMD Athlon 1800+ and the office computer is a Celery 500 mhz. But it is definately blowing both of those away. Since this is my first laptop, I also am not sure about battery life compared to others. I haven't even had time yet to try and see if it will play an entire movie or not.

I am enjoying the perks of a laptop though. The same computer at home or the office instead of having to shuttle files back and forth. Also, sitting out in the backyard last night, the wife in one lawn chair reading a book and me in the other surfing the Planet was pretty cool.

Also, the Brightview screen is awesome. I've been on it all morning and have no headache whatsoever. With a Dell 600m that I looked at (The one in my original post), 30 minutes was about all I could stand before I had to put it down for a while.

It needs more RAM (Currently at 256k) but I could buy RAM cheaper aftermarket so I opted to save a bit now and then upgrade a month or two down the road.

Sounds nice. Happy you got a good deal afterall.