PDA

View Full Version : How come nobody owns 'big dish' ,or bud(big ugly dish) satellite systems ?

Ninjaman
06-02-2005, 10:20 PM
I think they are very cool. HDTV and less expensive too.

Zoning rules prevent it ? If true then it's not fair.

Dave Lane
06-02-2005, 10:24 PM
Did someone tell you life was fair?

Dave
~just checking

Skip Towne
06-02-2005, 10:31 PM
The main reason is they are expensive to fix when they break. The BUD has to move from satellite to satellite to get the same programming a small stationary dish can get. The actuator arm that moves the dish can cost $200 plus labor to fix it. And yes, their physical size prevents them from being covered by federal law. Only dishes up to 36" are covered.

Michael Michigan
06-02-2005, 10:39 PM
BUD's rule.

Better picture, Especially in Hi-Def.

Hell-my analog C-band gives a better pic than my DirecTV Hi-Def.

I've had one since the late '80's. Everything was free then.

Chiefs pre-season games are still live on C-band.

KC Jones
06-02-2005, 10:43 PM
The main reason is they are expensive to fix when they break. The BUD has to move from satellite to satellite to get the same programming a small stationary dish can get. The actuator arm that moves the dish can cost $200 plus labor to fix it. And yes, their physical size prevents them from being covered by federal law. Only dishes up to 36" are covered.

I think the law Skip is mentioning here is the Satellite Home Viewer Improvement Act. Basically it states that people can have a small dish no matter what the local rules are. It also states that satelite providers need to (or may) provide local channels. In the past DiSH network (my employer) and DirecTV (Skip's employer) faced great difficulting in getting access to local programming. This law has really opened it up and made satelite a viable alternative to local cable companies. I know here in Devener there is only one cable company and they pretty much abuse their customers (go figure, a monopoly taking advantage of the situation).

BTW, if anyone has seen the DiSH network ads talking about free HBO and Showtime for 3 months, plus $12 off for three months, I wrote all the code to credit accounts and apply the business rules for program eligibility :) It's just cool to see something you worked on in a national TV spot.

Skip Towne
06-02-2005, 10:48 PM
I think the law Skip is mentioning here is the Satellite Home Viewer Improvement Act. Basically it states that people can have a small dish no matter what the local rules are. It also states that satelite providers need to (or may) provide local channels. In the past DiSH network (my employer) and DirecTV (Skip's employer) faced great difficulting in getting access to local programming. This law has really opened it up and made satelite a viable alternative to local cable companies. I know here in Devener there is only one cable company and they pretty much abuse their customers (go figure, a monopoly taking advantage of the situation).

BTW, if anyone has seen the DiSH network ads talking about free HBO and Showtime for 3 months, plus $12 off for three months, I wrote all the code to credit accounts and apply the business rules for program eligibility :) It's just cool to see something you worked on in a national TV spot.
It might be spelled out in the SHVA as well but I know it is in the Telecommunications Act of 1996. It spells out all the rules. How long have you worked for Dish Notwork? I have been a satellite install company since 1996. I did C-band before that.

KC Jones
06-02-2005, 10:52 PM
It might be spelled out in the SHVA as well but I know it is in the Telecommunications Act of 1996. It spells out all the rules. How long have you worked for Dish Notwork? I have been a satellite install company since 1996. I did C-band before that.

3.5 months - I still have a lot to learn about the industry.

Rausch
06-02-2005, 10:53 PM
Is anything free on the BUD's anymore?...

Skip Towne
06-02-2005, 11:00 PM
Not much. I didn't put mine back up after my last move. Stick a fork in BUD's. (Except for the occaisional dinosaur)

Michael Michigan
06-02-2005, 11:02 PM

Sports still has lots of baseball. Tons of college football, and college hoops.

A few NBA games.

There's quite a bit of stuff on the digital side and even more with MPEG.

Nothing like the old days.

Joe Seahawk
06-02-2005, 11:03 PM
I definitely miss mine..

I loved the wild feeds, and the picture quality was incredible..

Whenever there was a huge breaking story I would always go check out the live feeds..

Miss it.. :banghead:

Michael Michigan
06-02-2005, 11:07 PM
I definitely miss mine..

I loved the wild feeds, and the picture quality was incredible..

Whenever there was a huge breaking story I would always go check out the live feeds..

Miss it.. :banghead:

I always wondered--did you give it away?

Joe Seahawk
06-02-2005, 11:14 PM
I always wondered--did you give it away?

Nope, The actuator arm went out, plus I needed a new reciever
(I wanted 4DTV) but I decided after taking another look at my rusty 11 foot dish in the backyard that I should probably just get a new dish too..

Anyway I took the easy road and junked the dish and got Directtv..

I still have my BUD reciever General Instruments 2500 or something like that.. want it? :)

Michael Michigan
06-02-2005, 11:17 PM
(I wanted HDTV) but I decided after taking another look at my rusty 11 foot dish in the backyard that I should probably just get a new dish too..

I still have my BUD reciever General Instruments 2500 or something like that.. want it? :)

Nah--but thanx for the offer. I've got the 4DTV and an MPEG as well.

I also have an old GI and a Toshiba around here someplace.

Nzoner
06-02-2005, 11:19 PM
I have both the BUD and DirectTv,and thankfully have been receiving a wild feed of ABC on the c-band.I'm hoping it continues as i have no cable and ABC is blocked on DirecTv by our local affiliate.If not Monday nights this upcoming season will be spent somewhere other than the gameroom.

Michael Michigan
06-02-2005, 11:37 PM
I have both the BUD and DirectTv,and thankfully have been receiving a wild feed of ABC on the c-band.I'm hoping it continues as i have no cable and ABC is blocked on DirecTv by our local affiliate.If not Monday nights this upcoming season will be spent somewhere other than the gameroom.

MNF has been ITC for several years on C-Band.

DenverChief
06-02-2005, 11:48 PM

Ahh you took the Dish Notwork position :p you work at the meridian location?

Dick Bull
06-03-2005, 12:08 AM
Ahh you took the Dish Notwork position :p you work at the meridian location?

wtf does this mean?

Nzoner
06-03-2005, 12:36 AM
MNF has been ITC for several years on C-Band.

drunk or not you'd have to spell it out for me.

Michael Michigan
06-03-2005, 05:41 PM
drunk or not you'd have to spell it out for me.

Monday Night Football is "in the clear" usually on T5-22, 3, 14 and 21.

At times 3 and 14 will be commercial free and the mikes on Madden and Michaels are left on.

ABC's feeds are all usually on T5 Ch 22 for East, Ch 21 for West. Lost, Desperate Housewives, Indy 500, NBA etc.

Right now--there's a live feed of Royals/Tex [Rangers feed] on T5-5.

Field is covered at 6:40 CDT.

Skip Towne
06-03-2005, 06:08 PM
(I wanted 4DTV) but I decided after taking another look at my rusty 11 foot dish in the backyard that I should probably just get a new dish too..

Yeah, that actuator arm gets 'em every time. I also have a BUD to give away. It was given to me.

Rain Man
06-03-2005, 06:25 PM

So could you hypothetically, say, credit someone's account every month with the charges against that account?

Skip Towne
06-03-2005, 06:30 PM
So could you hypothetically, say, credit someone's account every month with the charges against that account?
Even if he can he still can't get you Sunday Ticket.

Rain Man
06-03-2005, 06:31 PM
Even if he can he still can't get you Sunday Ticket.

Then begone with him.

sparkky
06-03-2005, 08:18 PM
I'm still running the big dish but it's days are VERY limited. VERY. I think they're a dieing breed.

Nzoner
06-03-2005, 11:45 PM
Monday Night Football is "in the clear" usually on T5-22, 3, 14 and 21.

At times 3 and 14 will be commercial free and the mikes on Madden and Michaels are left on.

ABC's feeds are all usually on T5 Ch 22 for East, Ch 21 for West. Lost, Desperate Housewives, Indy 500, NBA etc.

Right now--there's a live feed of Royals/Tex [Rangers feed] on T5-5.

Field is covered at 6:40 CDT.

Thanks for the clarification,up until now I had been getting my ABC on the Denver feed that I was paying for.