PDA

View Full Version : HP machines...anyone used one before?

Fat Elvis
06-03-2005, 10:40 PM
Office Depot had a nice deal on a HP media center pc and was wondering if anyone had any experience with HP comps before....

I can get a media center pc with:

Athlon 64 (3200+)
1 GB RAM
80 GB HD
16x Dvd +/-R/RW double layer
Geforce 6600 256 MB
TV tuner with PVR and FM tuner
MS Windows XP Media Center Edition

for about$670.

Whattya think?

Thanks

Fat E

Pants
06-03-2005, 11:22 PM
Holy shit, that's cheap... Unless it doesn't come with a monitor and has shitty ass RAM.

Fried Meat Ball!
06-03-2005, 11:23 PM
You know... I used to swear by AMD, but then I actually tried an Intel... and I'm almost ashamed to say I like the Intel a LOT better than the Cyrex, AMD, etc. I've ever owned.

PastorMikH
06-04-2005, 12:09 AM
I have 2 HP Pavilions and both have been solid for me. However, now that they have merged with Compaq, I understand that they have gotten quite proprietary and you have to go back to HP/Compaq for some hardware nowdays.

What few run-ins I've had with compaqs makes me want to avoid anything close to them.

I recently bought a Athlon 3200+ system comparable to that one for the church at www.onlinepcdeals.com (http://www.onlinepcdeals.com) with XP Profesional for under $600.

Fat Elvis
06-04-2005, 08:20 AM
Holy shit, that's cheap... Unless it doesn't come with a monitor and has shitty ass RAM.

No monitor. Don't need one, though. We have several throughout the house.

AeroSquid
06-04-2005, 09:09 AM
You know... I used to swear by AMD, but then I actually tried an Intel... and I'm almost ashamed to say I like the Intel a LOT better than the Cyrex, AMD, etc. I've ever owned.

Until you actually try a Winchester/Venice/San Diego core AMD 64 processor you don't know what you're missing. New AMD chips own Intel by a wide margin.

htismaqe
06-04-2005, 09:13 AM
Never used HP consumer hardware.

Used tons of HP UNIX servers, absolutely the best money can buy.

Baby Lee
06-04-2005, 09:58 AM
Dunno about the HP hardware, but, especially if you can get ahold of a HDTV tuner, you'll LOOOOVVVVEEE Media Center Edition. Anything you can digitize, you can access with your TV and the remote. Save TV like TiVO. Save FM broadcasts to listen at your leisure, or excerpt songs to access anytime you want. Mount DVDs on your HD, save all your CDs to the HD. Download movies and HiDef clips for viewing, and surf it all like your channel guide. Throw all your CDs, DVDs, VHS tapes, photo albums, etc. into the attic.

BigMeatballDave
06-04-2005, 10:05 AM
The one I'm on now is 2 1/2 years old and still works flawlessly...

HC_Chief
06-04-2005, 11:48 AM
HP makes great servers. I've heard nothing but horror stories in regards to their desktop systems.

Simplex3
06-04-2005, 12:12 PM
I've got an old ass HP Celeron 333 down in the basement that acts as my firewall, never had so much as a hicup.

BigMeatballDave
06-04-2005, 02:26 PM
I've heard nothing but horror stories in regards to their desktop systems.Really? Never heard such a thing. I know a few people who have HPs and will never buy anything else, myself included...

Fat Elvis
06-04-2005, 09:31 PM
I went ahead and pulled the trigger today. I couldn't build a comp cheaper, so I said, "What the hey?"

It was actually a couple hundred dollars cheaper than if I ordered it directly from HP.....

Sparhawk
06-05-2005, 09:08 PM
My last two Machines were HP's and I've had excellent luck and great customer service. I'm a gamer and since I've gone AMD, I'll never go back to Intell. AMD blows intell away!

Pants
06-05-2005, 09:42 PM
My last two Machines were HP's and I've had excellent luck and great customer service. I'm a gamer and since I've gone AMD, I'll never go back to Intell. AMD blows intell away!

For shizzle.
(Always wanted to say that)

Lzen
06-07-2005, 09:19 AM
I have an HP at home and it works fine. Have had it for over 2 years now. Also, use an HP/Compaq at work and it is just fine. Not sure where HC got his info but, I don't believe that.

HC_Chief
06-07-2005, 09:53 AM
I have an HP at home and it works fine. Have had it for over 2 years now. Also, use an HP/Compaq at work and it is just fine. Not sure where HC got his info but, I don't believe that.

Heard it from people who had purchased Pavillions from Best Buy. Not one good review... every one of them had something go wrong with 'em. Besides, if it's Best Buy's brand of choice, it has to be crap. ;)

HP does make excellent servers... perhaps their purchase of Compaq has led to improved workstation engineering?

htismaqe
06-07-2005, 11:06 AM
Heard it from people who had purchased Pavillions from Best Buy. Not one good review... every one of them had something go wrong with 'em. Besides, if it's Best Buy's brand of choice, it has to be crap. ;)

HP does make excellent servers... perhaps their purchase of Compaq has led to improved workstation engineering?

Actually HP makes PC's and printers SPECIFICALLY for Best Buy and Wal-Mart.

I bought a 1210 AiO printer once at Wal-Mart and it has a special part number ending with "v" to signify it was made special for Wal-Mart. I know for sure that the HP desktop my MiL bought at Wal-Mart was based on the Intel 813 chipset (PoS!) and that specific Pavilion was exclusive to Wal-Mart.

HC_Chief
06-07-2005, 11:28 AM
Ahh.. that may explain it: a specific cheap-ass line of crappy desktops.

May be a good marketing ploy, but it can come back to bite one in the ass; as is probably the case here... through word of mouth I equate HP desktop systems with dog poop. (through personal experience, their printers & servers = top notch) :D

htismaqe
06-07-2005, 12:58 PM
Ahh.. that may explain it: a specific cheap-ass line of crappy desktops.

May be a good marketing ploy, but it can come back to bite one in the ass; as is probably the case here... through word of mouth I equate HP desktop systems with dog poop. (through personal experience, their printers & servers = top notch) :D

I'm not sure it's a marketing ploy. It may be the only way they can sell through those outlets.

Wal-Mart is notorious for dictating to their suppliers "you do this or else".

I work with a small privately-owned company that sells a food-type item to Wal-Mart. It comes in bags and generally goes for about 99 cents to $1.50. Wal-Mart informed them that EACH BAG would have to bear an RFID tag as part of Wal-Mart's RFID initiative. It meant nothing to Wal-Mart that it wasn't just about profit margin -- the RFID ALONE cost more than the product and it's packaging!

Baby Lee
06-07-2005, 01:11 PM
I went ahead and pulled the trigger today. I couldn't build a comp cheaper, so I said, "What the hey?"

It was actually a couple hundred dollars cheaper than if I ordered it directly from HP.....
Let us know what you think of the OS.

Mosbonian
06-10-2005, 01:37 AM

I guess I am the exception to the rule on the above....

I am still using an HP Pavilion 6470Z that has outlasted 3 other machines I have purchased for my kids. I bought it in 1999 and it has been absolutely flawless.....I have made the normal upgrades in RAM and such, but it serves exactly what I need. and it was purchased from Best Buy....

I was going to purchase a new PC a few months back, but changed my mind and will ride this baby till it croaks.

mmaddog