PDA

View Full Version : Music Venues in KC

Marcellus
06-05-2005, 10:43 AM
I am in a band from Joplin,Mo. We are looking to play some shows in the KC area. Anyone know of the best way to get into a venue in KC?

We always get invited back when we play somewhere but without a connection it is hell trying to get into new places.

We play what I would call mainstream rock. We do covers and original music.About a 50-50 mix depending on the length of the show.

Any thoughts?

Bowser
06-05-2005, 10:49 AM
The Hurricane in Westport features local bands, but unfortunately, I have no idea how to help get your foot in the door. That bar is packed on the weekends, too. Give the place a call.......

Valiant
06-05-2005, 01:35 PM
Unfortunatly you will have to have a agent/manager book most of them..

But if you do covers, you will mostly get the bars up here... (tom fooleries has cover bands five times a week it seems)

My buddies play hurricane about once a month..

www.onedegreedifference.com , you can email them about getting into the hurricane, but they usually want your own music there...

You can also play the coffee house in westport, america's pub...

Chris Meck
06-05-2005, 01:55 PM
I'm a musician, and have been playing around the area for more than a decade. I've played about every room around here a hundred times.

You DO NOT need an agent; most of the bands working around here don't. You can be your own booking agent and be just as effective. The only outside booking agent that would be a better option would be a well known one, and my guess is that if you're like most bands, you can't get those folks to return your calls either.

The Hurricane is a high traffic place to play, but is mostly a meat-market type vibe. The people there aren't really interested in the bands so much as waiting for the dj to start. It sounds great, the staff is friendly(for the most part) and considering that you do a fair amount of covers and are in a 'mainstream' type style, you might do well there.

Davey's Uptown is the most fun room in KC (IMO), but it's tough to get a gig there if you're not local and unknown. It's not in Westport, so there's not much of a built-in crowd. No following= no money, for the bar OR the band. Your best bet is to send your packet in and try to get an opening slot with another better known local band. Davey's discourages cover-tunes.

The Brick is more the indie-rock punk type venue. If you're doing more mainstream type stuff you'll probably want to avoid it.

Make sure your promo pack looks good, with a CD, pic, bio, press, etc. Send it in, wait a week, and start calling. Be patient, be nice. The clubs get tons of packets every week. It'll help if you call with specific dates in mind as it forces the booker to look at their calendar.

Hope that helps,
Chris Meck
http://www.thegaslights.com

Inspector
06-05-2005, 05:35 PM
When my son's band plays in the KC area, they play at El Torrean, Hurricane, Uptown Theater. They have played a bunch of other places like Jerry's bait shop and Daveys, but the majority of their shows are on the road. They travel all over the country but will be back in KC on July 2nd.

I'll ask him for some pointers and if he has any good suggestions, I'll let ya know. His agent is in California and his booking agent is in Utah (I think), so they may not have too much connection in this area.

Good luck. Let us know when / where you play.

Phobia
06-05-2005, 05:46 PM
Live music? Haven't you people heard of DJ's?

NewChief
06-05-2005, 08:04 PM
Meck:

What's the name of your band, and do you guys ever get down to Fayetteville? It's only about a 3 hour drive from there. Of course, it's nowhere near the live music scene of its prime: too many metrosexual ****ers wanting to pay no cover, drink martinis, and listen to canned top 40 and not enough people wanting to hear live music. We've lost some good venues in the past 5 years, and it sucks.

Phobia
06-05-2005, 08:14 PM
Meck:

What's the name of your band,

My wild guess is "The Gaslights".

http://www.indie44.com/thegaslights/chris.htm

NewChief
06-05-2005, 08:36 PM
My wild guess is "The Gaslights".

http://www.indie44.com/thegaslights/chris.htm

Aha.

Looks like they're playing Midtown in Little Rock. That should be interesting. One of the only places in the city that stays open past 2:00am, which makes for an interesting mix of people.

No Fayetteville dates, though.

Shame too, because their description looks like something I'd enjoy.

ZepSinger
06-05-2005, 10:18 PM
You DO NOT need an agent; most of the bands working around here don't.

I heard that. When my band was playing around here(1989-1993), we were on 6 week rotations @ Lone Star, Backstage, Centerstage, the Hurricane, Grand Emporium, played Memorial Hall, even Sandstone(now Verizon), all without the help/hindrance of management. It can be done.

Z