PDA

View Full Version : Altitude

HemiEd
06-06-2005, 05:51 PM
I am looking for the altitude for Joliet Illinois. I need it to plug into the weather station for the drag races this weekend. Thanks

Donger
06-06-2005, 05:56 PM
I am looking for the altitude for Joliet Illinois. I need it to plug into the weather station for the drag races this weekend. Thanks

HemiEd
06-06-2005, 06:01 PM

Wow, thanks. Car should fly with that altitude if the humidity is down and it is not too hot.

Baby Lee
06-06-2005, 08:00 PM
Wow, thanks. Car should fly with that altitude if the humidity is down and it is not too hot.
Whatcha run?
I'm assuming some iteration of the Hemi, but what specifics? What times?

Not on point, but I saw footage the a weeks back of the fuel flow of a top dragster. They ran the fuel pumps into a clear acrylic simulated engine block. D@mn. Said they ran through 10 [I think it was] gallons in a run.

Had a buddy in high school whose mom actually loved him drag racing and footed the bill. Had a 70 442 with a 455 running on stock gas and carburation, with nitrous help and slicks, that we eventually got down to 9.8. Pretty impressive for stock sheet metal of that weight and size.

EDIT: Ignore me, a dragging geek rambling.

HemiEd
06-07-2005, 03:21 PM
Whatcha run?
I'm assuming some iteration of the Hemi, but what specifics? What times?

Not on point, but I saw footage the a weeks back of the fuel flow of a top dragster. They ran the fuel pumps into a clear acrylic simulated engine block. D@mn. Said they ran through 10 [I think it was] gallons in a run.

Had a buddy in high school whose mom actually loved him drag racing and footed the bill. Had a 70 442 with a 455 running on stock gas and carburation, with nitrous help and slicks, that we eventually got down to 9.8. Pretty impressive for stock sheet metal of that weight and size.

EDIT: Ignore me, a dragging geek rambling.

Top Fuel uses an incredible amount of Nitro in a short period of time. If you watch them, you will see a lot of it come out un-burned. 7000 HP out of 500 cubes. It is not a lot different than the original Chrysler Hemi.

I ended my personal Drag Racinig Career in 1990. I had accomplished the goal that I had set of winning the points race at the local drag strip.(low of 10.38 at 130} But I started helping a guy that year that has stuck with it. He has won a couple of Divisional races and a lot of lot of local ones. He has two Barracuda drag cars, fastest one goes low 8s. However, he is racing a legal F Stock Mustang (10.90s) of someone elses on the NHRA circuit this year. Stock class cars are very restricted on the mods you can make. I have finally talked him into towing all the way to Chicago (route 66) from Wichita. It is going to be like old times, four days of racing. :p Should be lots of fun, he is going to stay with us while he is here. Thanks for asking, I hope he does well. Winning a National event in Stock is worth about fifteen grand by the time you collect all of the contingency money. :drool:

HemiEd
06-08-2005, 11:12 PM
First night a lot of fun so far, hey I get to drive a golf cart with cool wheels that goes fast.

HemiEd
06-10-2005, 05:05 AM
We qualified almost a full second under the index, I think I am getting the bug again!