PDA

View Full Version : Copyright protectin' bastards.

ENDelt260
06-11-2005, 05:37 PM
So, my new car stereo will play CD's of mp3's. This sounds great to me, so I sit down, take a bunch of my CDs (y'know, that I bought... at a store) and start ripping mp3's. Figure I'll burn 'em to CD, then when I slide one disc in the stereo, it's like putting in 10. Brilliant!

So, I pop in my Velvet Revolver CD. Rip the songs... try to listen to them... and they're garbage. Apparently they've encoded it in such a way that when you rip an mp3, it's unlistenable. No worries... when I popped in the CD I noticed a little app started up, and one of the things you could do was copy the songs to your harddrive. They'll be in wma format, but hey... wouldn't ya know? My new stereo plays that, too. So, I copy all the music to my HD. Listen to it... ok, it sounds good. So, now I'll have a CD full of mostly mp3's, and one dir of wma files. Works for me.

Go pop my new uber CD in the player, skip the to the Velvet Revolver folder... and the f*cking thing skips every last goddamned song. Apparently they've encoded something in those WMA files that my Pioneer head unit is recognizing and saying, "Hey... the evil record companies don't want me to play this song, so I'll skip it."

I paid my f*cking $20. I should be able to listen to the music. But, these f*ckers want to dictate to me how I can enjoy it. Well, I've certainly learned my lesson. If and when another Velvet Revolver album gets released, I'll just d/l the mp3's. Won't cost me a dime and I'll be free to enjoy the music in whatever manner I see fit.

Congratulations on losing a customer, dipshits.

BCD
06-11-2005, 05:49 PM
That blows. There MUST be some software out there to get around this. 'Clone CD' or something like that...

CrazyPhuD
06-11-2005, 05:51 PM
http://weblogs.asp.net/christoc/archive/2004/06/08/151147.aspx

try this 99.9999999999999999999999999% of the copy protection systems are worthless. They take little effort to get around.

ENDelt260
06-11-2005, 05:53 PM
There MUST be some software out there to get around this.

I'm sure there is, but I'm far too lazy to look for it. I'll just curse the bastards responsible and move on with my day.

As an added shitty thing, I just realized that I had a case full of CDs in my truck when it got broken into. I thought it was in the house. I was pissed enough that my Opiate CD was in the player when they took the f*cker, now I know they took a bunch of my other CDs. Goddamnit. Now I own a bunch of jewel cases. Whoopee.

Oddly enough, they left Lateralus laying around in the truck. Guess they weren't Tool fans.

Taco John
06-11-2005, 06:20 PM
i stopped buying music after the local Sam Goody got a bad batch of Lil Wayne CDs that were all jacked up and unlistenable. I tried to take it back, and they gave me a bunch of hell. So I said screw this, and downloaded SoulSeek. I still buy music from artists who I love. But I "sample" music before I buy. If that's stealing, so be it. But never again will I go in and buy an album without knowing what's on it. There's just no point in doing that.

headsnap
06-11-2005, 06:22 PM
I still buy music from artists who I love. But I "sample" music before I buy. If that's stealing, so be it. But never again will I go in and buy an album without knowing what's on it. There's just no point in doing that.

My thoughts exactly! :thumb:

the Talking Can
06-11-2005, 06:26 PM
records companies can't admit they've already lost the battle...and, like good corporate giants, they won't admit it until they alienated most of the customers and lost billions...then they'll grudingly accept a new business model and make as much as they ever did...but they won't learn the lesson, and we'll go this all again for some dumb reason in 30-40 years...

ENDelt260
06-11-2005, 06:33 PM
i stopped buying music after the local Sam Goody got a bad batch of Lil Wayne CDs that were all jacked up and unlistenable.

Sounds like an average Lil Wayne CD to me.

DaneMcCloud
06-11-2005, 07:29 PM
End,
If you hold down the shift key while inserting and loading the VR CD, it bypasses the copy protection. And while I'm totally against illegal downloading, I think it's lame that it's so difficult burn a copy of a CD that you purchased. The problem is that there is no real answer at this time.

FWIW, I didn't have to do anything with my G5. iTunes bypassed all the encryption but on the PC, I had to use the method described above.

Dane

Pants
06-11-2005, 07:41 PM
End,
If you hold down the shift key while inserting and loading the VR CD, it bypasses the copy protection. And while I'm totally against illegal downloading, I think it's lame that it's so difficult burn a copy of a CD that you purchased. The problem is that there is no real answer at this time.

FWIW, I didn't have to do anything with my G5. iTunes bypassed all the encryption but on the PC, I had to use the method described above.

Dane

I thought that was a myth.

Chiefsrocker
06-11-2005, 07:47 PM
Here is what I did. I have a Pioneer CD burner that I bought about 8 years ago. I tred the Velvet revolver CD(that I borrowed) and it did the same thing in my computer. So I got out the ol' Pioneer burner. I wired a CD player to the back of the burner and pushed play on the CD player and record on the burner and let it record. When it ws done, I had a copy of the album w/o the copyright protection. I put the burnt CD in my puter and ripped it. Worked great.

Garcia Bronco
06-11-2005, 08:59 PM
Man...I love my live concerts...I can't remember the last time I went into a album store and rolled out with anything.

grandllama
06-11-2005, 11:48 PM
http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/

Reads the CD like normal and then writes a file like normal.... the skipping you were hearing is from the protection that actually places the music all over the physical CD... normal ripping programs get confused and cause the skippage...

ah hell, i'm too tired to explain... i just know Cdex has never met a encryption scheme it can't break for me....

Ultra Peanut
06-12-2005, 02:28 AM
Sounds like an average Lil Wayne CD to me.That one pretty much wrote itself. ROFL

Douche Baggins
06-12-2005, 02:51 AM
I don't buy popular music. The last CD i purchased was Revenge of the Sith. Before that? The 10-CD Autumn Thunder NFL films collection. Before that? The obscure, out of print soundtrack to King Solomon's Mines, by Jerry Goldsmith.

I have alot of older music (80s rock/metal mostly) but I downloaded it all.

Douche Baggins
06-12-2005, 02:53 AM
Also, the only good music Velvet Revolver ever produced was when they were named Guns 'n Roses.

Uncle_Ted
06-12-2005, 04:17 AM
I used Exact Audio Copy to copy my Velvet Revolver CD.

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

The first time you put the disc in your computer it installed a program called MediaMax. So just holding down the "shift" key will not work in the future. Do a google search on Mediamax to see what it does to your computer and read all the lovely things people have to say about it. Very difficult to get rid of once it's on your computer.

ILChief
06-12-2005, 06:07 AM
I thought that was a myth.

no, it works. i thought it was CTRL though. maybe it was SHIFT

Tuckdaddy
06-12-2005, 07:43 AM
End,

Dane

Totally against illegal downloading? Please, the spare me it's staeling speech. Record companies and hollywood make billions anyway. Copying movies and downloading music is the best reason to have a computer.

Dayze
06-12-2005, 11:22 AM
i haven't bought a CD in years. I remember hearing when CD's first came out, that "they're only $20 right now because the demand for CDs is so great".......
nearly 20 years later (give or take) they're still around $20.
The hell with that.

Similarly, this is the same reason I won't buy a DLP/Plasma/LCD, etc TV. As long as they're 'the rave', they'll continue to be priced as they are.
Overpriced.

htismaqe
06-12-2005, 11:28 AM
i haven't bought a CD in years. I remember hearing when CD's first came out, that "they're only $20 right now because the demand for CDs is so great".......
nearly 20 years later (give or take) they're still around $20.
The hell with that.

Similarly, this is the same reason I won't buy a DLP/Plasma/LCD, etc TV. As long as they're 'the rave', they'll continue to be priced as they are.
Overpriced.

The "rave"? I think it's more that you're misinformed.

I've bought half-a-dozen CD's in the last couple of months and not one of them was more than $9.99.

headsnap
06-12-2005, 11:30 AM
i haven't bought a CD in years.
so, you are the reason Travis Meeks is addicted to Meth.

Dayze
06-12-2005, 01:51 PM
so, you are the reason Travis Meeks is addicted to Meth.

Probably.

I probably haven't bought a CD in 3 years; I was duped too many times in buying a CD because of a song I heard on the radio, etc.....only to be grossly disappointed when the remaining 12 songs were a joke.

That's not to say, I haven't had them given to me as a gift, etc....but I always have a specific album, etc...that I know will be good (Like a Hendrix Box Set, or SRV best of, etc).
I'd say 85% of bands that have debuted in the past 5-8 years are garbage - in that they have 1 or 2 good songs in them, and that's it.

Demonpenz
06-12-2005, 01:59 PM
we have to start controlling our borders. Illegal imigrants are ****ing too much shit up

Simplex3
06-12-2005, 03:40 PM
All this DMCA stuff is crap. I agree completely with the sentiment that they're only pissing off their legal customers. The crooks have already gotten around it.

As for wma, I used to use it but all the copy stuff that is going along with it these days has driven me back to mp3. I'm not about to have some jackass tell me I can only copy a file x number of times or have it break when I need to reformat my machine.

I'd prefer to use ogg or monkey's but I have a Turtle Beach Audiotron and it only works with mp3, wma, and wav.

Simplex3
06-12-2005, 03:43 PM
STOP THE PRESSES!

http://file-ext-map.sourceforge.net/

Hehe. I'll be ripping my cd's again and losing the freaking mp3's after all! Woohoo! I'll even be able to use FLAC. Decisions, decisions... :hmmm:

Ozarks-Chiefs-Fan
06-12-2005, 05:49 PM
try this link to get around copy protection
http://weblogs.asp.net/christoc/archive/2004/06/08/151147.aspx

Adept Havelock
06-12-2005, 06:57 PM
No problem, if you have Linux installed.

No built in M$ bullsh*t. Your running into M$ windows built in protection, as well as whats on the CD.

If you don't have access to a Linux PC, ask a friend.

Only way around it I know of. Hope it helps.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-12-2005, 11:37 PM
I'll tell you what's really funny about record companies. They rip millions of people off by overpricing their albums for years, and everyone who signs up in time gets a check for $20. A few years later they start suing file sharers that are like 15 years old for $250k a person. Seems fair to me.

Valiant
06-12-2005, 11:52 PM
I use a 'RAW Burn' mode for ripping cd's so I do not have that problem...

As for downloading illegal music as stealing... NO, the record companies do not lose money... Why? We wouldnt buy it in the first place... Hell I am lucky if i buy ten cd's a year... The other 2000 cds I own are ripped/borrowed/downloaded...

ENDelt260
06-13-2005, 12:30 AM
That one pretty much wrote itself. ROFL
Indeed. I actually hesitated because I wasn't sure if he was making a joke or not.

ENDelt260
06-13-2005, 12:32 AM
The first time you put the disc in your computer it installed a program called MediaMax. So just holding down the "shift" key will not work in the future. Do a google search on Mediamax to see what it does to your computer and read all the lovely things people have to say about it. Very difficult to get rid of once it's on your computer.

That's even more upsetting to hear. It's bad enough they won't let me make mp3's of the stuff, if they installed some shit on my computer without my consent I'll.... uh, well I guess I utter some cursewords and move on with my day.

ENDelt260
06-13-2005, 12:32 AM
Totally against illegal downloading? Please, the spare me it's staeling speech. Record companies and hollywood make billions anyway. Copying movies and downloading music is the best reason to have a computer.
Dane works in the industry.

ENDelt260
06-13-2005, 12:37 AM
While I appreciate the advice given in this thread, I wasn't really looking for it. Just wanted to vent. I may revisit this thread later if I feel I want to put more effort into the process. As it is, many of my future mp3 compilation Cds will consist largely of underground artists. The kind of guys that like to give away mp3s just to get their music heard.

Which reminds me... I gotta go see what Lollipop Lust Kill is up to.

ENDelt260
06-13-2005, 07:52 PM
As an added shitty thing, I just realized that I had a case full of CDs in my truck when it got broken into. I thought it was in the house. I was pissed enough that my Opiate CD was in the player when they took the f*cker, now I know they took a bunch of my other CDs. Goddamnit. Now I own a bunch of jewel cases. Whoopee.

Oddly enough, they left Lateralus laying around in the truck. Guess they weren't Tool fans.

A quick inventory of my empty jewel cases reveals the following list of stolen CDs. My insurance co says they'll give me $8 a piece for 'em.

Artist Album Title
Alice in Chains Sap
Andrew Dice Clay Face Down Ass Up
Blink 182 Enema of the State
Bush Razorblade Suitcase
Cherry Poppin' Daddies Zoot Suit Riot
Digital Underground Playwutchyalike
Digital Underground Sons of the P
Digital Underground This is an EP Release
Eminem The Slim Shady LP
Everclear So Much for the Afterglow
Everclear Songs from an American Movie, Vol One: Learning How to Smile
Everclear Songs from an American Movie, Vol Two: Good Time for a Bad Attitude
Everclear Sparkle & Fade
Fiona Apple Tidal
Korn Follow the Leader
Marilyn Manson Mechanical Animals
Marilyn Manson Portrait of an American Family
Nirvana Unplugged in New York
Outkast Aquemini
Powerman 5000 Tonight the Stars Revolt!
Squirrel Nut Zippers Hot
Squirrel Nut Zippers Perennial Favorites
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones Let's Face It
They Might Be Giants Apollo 18
They Might Be Giants Factory Showroom
They Might Be Giants Flood
They Might Be Giants Lincoln
They Might Be Giants Miscellaneous T
They Might Be Giants Severe Tire Damage
They Might Be Giants They Might Be Giants
They Might Be Giants Why Does the Sun Shine?
Tool Opiate

Phobia
06-13-2005, 08:05 PM
Hey, what about all the CD's I lost in your truck?

Chiefsrocker
06-13-2005, 08:29 PM
Hey Endelt, I have some of those. Want some copies and pocket the insurance $!!

Brando
06-13-2005, 08:42 PM
They took all your TMBG FUGGERS!

Nelson Muntz
06-13-2005, 09:12 PM
A quick inventory of my empty jewel cases reveals the following list of stolen CDs. My insurance co says they'll give me $8 a piece for 'em.

Artist Album Title
Alice in Chains Sap
Andrew Dice Clay Face Down Ass Up
Blink 182 Enema of the State
Bush Razorblade Suitcase
Cherry Poppin' Daddies Zoot Suit Riot
Digital Underground Playwutchyalike
Digital Underground Sons of the P
Digital Underground This is an EP Release
Eminem The Slim Shady LP
Everclear So Much for the Afterglow
Everclear Songs from an American Movie, Vol One: Learning How to Smile
Everclear Songs from an American Movie, Vol Two: Good Time for a Bad Attitude
Everclear Sparkle & Fade
Fiona Apple Tidal
Korn Follow the Leader
Marilyn Manson Mechanical Animals
Marilyn Manson Portrait of an American Family
Nirvana Unplugged in New York
Outkast Aquemini
Powerman 5000 Tonight the Stars Revolt!
Squirrel Nut Zippers Hot
Squirrel Nut Zippers Perennial Favorites
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones Let's Face It
They Might Be Giants Apollo 18
They Might Be Giants Factory Showroom
They Might Be Giants Flood
They Might Be Giants Lincoln
They Might Be Giants Miscellaneous T
They Might Be Giants Severe Tire Damage
They Might Be Giants They Might Be Giants
They Might Be Giants Why Does the Sun Shine?
Tool Opiate

Be glad they're giving you something for the cd's. State Farm told me that cd's weren't covered because they weren't physically attached to the car. So now I'm saving all my useless jewel cases and i'm gonna get a bracket of some sorts to attach to a cd case, and say they were attached this time.

ENDelt260
06-13-2005, 09:13 PM
Hey, what about all the CD's I lost in your truck?
Open your eyes. Fiona's on the list.

ENDelt260
06-13-2005, 09:14 PM
They took all your TMBG FUGGERS!
Not all of them, but a good portion. I'm most pissed about "Why Does the Sun Shine?". I'm not sure that's still in print.

I still have John Henry and Then: The Early Years.

ENDelt260
06-13-2005, 09:15 PM
Be glad they're giving you something for the cd's.

Believe me, I am. I fully expected them to tell me tough shit. Esp since I didn't realize the CDs were gone until two weeks after the break in.

ENDelt260
06-13-2005, 09:17 PM
Hey Endelt, I have some of those. Want some copies and pocket the insurance $!!
Sure, why not. At $8 a pop, I'm not going to be able to replace all those anyway.

CrazyPhuD
06-13-2005, 09:22 PM
Not all of them, but a good portion. I'm most pissed about "Why Does the Sun Shine?". I'm not sure that's still in print.

I still have John Henry and Then: The Early Years.

:( Check out Froogle (i.e. froogle.google.com) looks like a bunch of stores 'may' have it. Froogle's pretty good for finding obscure things.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?hl=en&lr=&tab=wf&q=They+Might+be+Giants+%22Why+Does+the+Sun+Shine%22&btnG=Search+Froogle

Brando
06-13-2005, 09:26 PM
Open your eyes. Fiona's on the list.

So..they left Phil's Justin Timberlake behind but took his Fiona Apple?

DaneMcCloud
06-13-2005, 09:51 PM
End,

The best place I've found to find affordable CD's on the 'net is half.com. I generally don't pay more than $10 for a brand new CD, and you can often find used CD's for under $5.00.

When I lived on the corner of Sunset & Fairfax in Hollywood, my car was broken into 3 times in 2 years, even though we had underground gated parking. The thief didn't have enough time to steal my stereo (the first time), but he did steal more than 25 CD's. After re-purchasing every CD from Half.com, I burned copies of each for my car. I no longer have original CD's in my car to this day, even in the neighborhood were I currently live.

Dane