PDA

View Full Version : What songs are in your earliest memory?

Skip Towne
06-11-2005, 09:50 PM
Mine are ancient. Li'l Darlin by the Diamonds. Canadian Sunset - Instrumental, Buddy Holly, Big Bopper, Everly Brothers, Ricky Nelson, Patti Page, Pat Boone. We had all these artists before Elvis showed up in 1957. We rocked!!

keg in kc
06-11-2005, 09:52 PM
A cassette with the Muppets singing a bunch of ridiculous shit like "lydia the tattooed lady". I kid you not.

I don't have much of a memory, though. I've been told I was fed some classical music as a wee one, but I don't remember a bit of it.

morphius
06-11-2005, 09:57 PM
Most old Moody Blue's stuff.

I think, I think I am, therefore I am...

I think.

KCChiefsMan
06-11-2005, 10:01 PM
seasame street/Mr Rogers/Ninja Turtles theme songs

Garcia Bronco
06-11-2005, 10:01 PM
Coward of the County
Stay'in Alive
Macho Duck
Star Wars Themes

LOL

siberian khatru
06-11-2005, 10:02 PM
Most old Moody Blue's stuff.

Heh, same here. "Question" was my favorite song when I was 4-5. That was the first song I remember hearing on the radio and really liking.

Also remember listening to my mother's cassette of ELP's "Tarkus" album, and I remember several Carpenters songs on the radio.

Jenson71
06-11-2005, 10:04 PM
The Guess Who - These Eyes
The Righteous Brothers - Unchained Melody

morphius
06-11-2005, 10:05 PM
Heh, same here. "Question" was my favorite song when I was 4-5. That was the first song I remember hearing on the radio and really liking.

Also remember listening to my mother's cassette of ELP's "Tarkus" album, and I remember several Carpenters songs on the radio.
I still love the Moody Blue's stuff, I think my favorite was the, I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band, song.

My Mom made me listen to the Oakridge Boys a lot as well.

Skip Towne
06-11-2005, 10:05 PM
"Does your chewing gum lose it's flavor on the bedpost overnight" was done as a parody of a '20's song. Guess what? It caught on and got popular again. We had a lot of novelty songs like that between '57 and '64 when the Beatles appeared. "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka dot Bikini " was another. "Little Nash Rambler" was another. Anybody remember those?

keg in kc
06-11-2005, 10:06 PM
"Does your chewing gum lose it's flavor on the bedpost overnight" was done as a parody of a '20's song. Guess what? It caught on and got popular again. We had a lot of novelty songs like that between '57 and '64 when the Beatles appeared. "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka dot Bikini " was another. "Little Nash Rambler" was another. Anybody remember those?No, but I think I've seen cave paintings of the album covers.

Katipan
06-11-2005, 10:08 PM
"Little Nash Rambler" was another. Anybody remember those?

My dorky father used to sing that to me as a lullabye. Along with El Paso by Marty Robbins.

Jenson71
06-11-2005, 10:09 PM
"Does your chewing gum lose it's flavor on the bedpost overnight" was done as a parody of a '20's song. Guess what? It caught on and got popular again. We had a lot of novelty songs like that between '57 and '64 when the Beatles appeared. "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka dot Bikini " was another. "Little Nash Rambler" was another. Anybody remember those?

The bikini one is in a commericial. Do you remember the other British Invasion band along side the Beatles. They made a movie. They did Catch Me If You Can. What was their name? D1457 something weird.

eazyb81
06-11-2005, 10:12 PM
Any song by the Beatles. My mom and dad both loved them and I remember listening to them all the time at home and in the car as a little kid. I don't even really like the band, but when I hear one of their songs I automatically know it word for word....it's weird.

ZepSinger
06-11-2005, 10:17 PM
"She wore an itsy bitsy teenie weenie yellow polka dot bikini-
That she wore for the first time today..."

No idea of the artist, but what a stupid tune to be first in one's memory bank...

Z

go bowe
06-11-2005, 10:21 PM
"Does your chewing gum lose it's flavor on the bedpost overnight" was done as a parody of a '20's song. Guess what? It caught on and got popular again. We had a lot of novelty songs like that between '57 and '64 when the Beatles appeared. "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka dot Bikini " was another. "Little Nash Rambler" was another. Anybody remember those?sure...

but what about gene autry singing rudolph the red nosed reindeer and bing crosby singing white christmas?

those are the songs i remember from when i was very young (of course my parents liked bing, so they listened to his rendition of white christmas every year)...

Miles
06-11-2005, 10:23 PM
Van Halen - Jump
The safety dance

Probably so James Taylor in there too but not really any specific song.

Skip Towne
06-11-2005, 10:23 PM
The bikini one is in a commericial. Do you remember the other British Invasion band along side the Beatles. They made a movie. They did Catch Me If You Can. What was their name? D1457 something weird.
I remember the song but not the group. Dave Clark Five? The Monkeys? The Stones? My favorite invasion band was Peter & Gordon. McCartney dated Peter's sister and fed them a lot of good songs.

go bowe
06-11-2005, 10:24 PM

No idea of the artist, but what a stupid tune to be first in one's memory bank...

Zbrian highland...

Skip Towne
06-11-2005, 10:28 PM
brian highland...
I think he only had one hit...."Sealed with a kiss".

Bowser
06-11-2005, 10:29 PM
We fired our guns, but the British kept a comin'
There wasn't quite as many as there was a while ago.

We fired once more, and they began a runnin'
Down the Mississippi, to the Gulf of Mexico......

I have no idea who sings it or what the title is. I just have a real clear memory of that chorus.

That song, and Skyrockets in Flight, Afternoon Delight. :shudder:

Skip Towne
06-11-2005, 10:31 PM
brian highland...
Do you remember "Love Letters in the Sand" by Pat Boone? That was just before Elvis showed up and took over.

FloridaChief
06-11-2005, 10:33 PM

Z

You think that one's stupid? Try this one on for size--my earliest musical memory. We were living in Albany, GA (a crime in itself) and I must have been about four years old, but I distinctly remember this tune playing on the radio:

My baby does the hanky panky

Yeah

I saw you walkin' on down the line
You know I saw you
For the very first time
A pretty little thing
Standin' all alone
Hey, pretty baby
Can I take you home
I never saw ya
Never ever saw ya

Yeah, does it good, too, Let's rock
Hey

You know I saw you
For the very first time
A pretty little thing
Standin' all alone
Hey, pretty baby
Can I take you home
I never saw ya
Never ever saw ya

Ooh wow

Nzoner
06-11-2005, 10:34 PM
From my mom's album collection I remember American Woman by The Guess Who and Frijid Pink's version of House of The Rising Sun.

Radio wise alot of AM Gold shit

Hooked On A Feeling-Blue Swede
Brand New Key-Melanie
Life Is A Rock-Reunion

Then it all changed for me when one Sunday late night I found a program called Beaker Street on my transistor radio and i heard ELP's Tocotta and The Edgar Winter Group's frankenstein for the first time.

Jenson71
06-11-2005, 10:35 PM
I remember the song but not the group. Dave Clark Five? The Monkeys? The Stones? My favorite invasion band was Peter & Gordon. McCartney dated Peter's sister and fed them a lot of good songs.

Okay, googled it. It was Dave Clark Five. And it was Catch Us If You Can. Now to find out the movie...Their version of Hard Days Night

FloridaChief
06-11-2005, 10:36 PM
I found a program called Beaker Street on my transistor radio and i heard ELP's Tocotta

Brain Salad Surgery ruled.

http://cover6.cduniverse.com/MuzeAudioArt/090/99930.jpg

Skip Towne
06-11-2005, 10:38 PM
We fired our guns, but the British kept a comin'
There wasn't quite as many as there was a while ago.

We fired once more, and they began a runnin'
Down the Mississippi, to the Gulf of Mexico......

I have no idea who sings it or what the title is. I just have a real clear memory of that chorus.

That song, and Skyrockets in Flight, Afternoon Delight. :shudder:
That was done by at least two groups. Johnny Horton was one of them. "Well we fired our cannons till the barrels melted down then we grabbed an alligator and we fired another round. We filled hs head with cannon balls and powdered his behind. And when we set the powder off the gator lost his mind. "The Battle of New Orleans" by Johnny Horton.

Phobia
06-11-2005, 10:39 PM
I remember Raindrops by BJ Thomas. That probably explains a lot.

Nzoner
06-11-2005, 10:40 PM
Brain Salad Surgery ruled.

http://cover6.cduniverse.com/MuzeAudioArt/090/99930.jpg

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"

Jenson71
06-11-2005, 10:41 PM
Okay, googled it. It was Dave Clark Five. And it was Catch Us If You Can. Now to find out the movie...Their version of Hard Days Night

Oh, I guess that was called Catch Us If You Can as well. Cool.

jspchief
06-11-2005, 10:48 PM
There are three that stick in my head pretty clearly, and they make me think of my mother when I was a small child.

Wildfire - Michael Martin Murphy
Love will Keep Us Together - Captain and Tennile
Somebody's Knocking - Terri Gibbs

CosmicPal
06-11-2005, 10:49 PM
My older brother had one of those hand-held tape recorders when we were kids. He'd listen to the local radio station and when a song came on he liked, he'd press record. I'd go out and play in the yard. Later, when I would return, I'd hear what he recorded. There are two songs I remember most, "One" by Three Dog Night and "Eleanor Rigby" by The Beatles. For some reason or another, those two songs are my earliest memories. Those, and just about anything from The Monkees'.

Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd was the first album I ever bought. I wasn't even a teenager then, but I was simply floored by the music. Listening to the entire album of Dark Side of the Moon was one of my fondest memories as a child growing up in KC. For the longest time, it was the only album I owned and I really appreciated the music and the resounding memories. My next album was some Kiss record, and for some ungodly reason- I was fixated on this band. It only lasted a year or two, but I never could understand how I went from Dark Side of the Moon to Kiss....

Bowser
06-11-2005, 10:49 PM
A Hose With No Name is another you can throw in there, as well.

CosmicPal
06-11-2005, 10:51 PM
Love will Keep Us Together - Captain and Tennile

Ged...I couldn't stand that song. What's even worse, was all those bleepin' comedy songs that came out in the middle 70's- you remember, the Disco Duck, that Jaws record, and a bunch of others...Every time I hear Love Will Keep Us Togehter I recall that Jaws comedy record.

Skip Towne
06-11-2005, 10:52 PM
I remember Raindrops by BJ Thomas. That probably explains a lot.
I'll bet you mean "Raindrops keep fallin' on my head". That was in the soundtrack of "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid". Katherine Ross was second only to Natalie Wood.

Jenson71
06-11-2005, 10:54 PM
I'll bet you mean "Raindrops keep fallin' on my head". That was in the soundtrack of "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid". Katherine Ross was second only to Natalie Wood.

That's definitely a strange part of that movie. And Ross is beautiful yes. Dark features just like Wood.

Wile_E_Coyote
06-11-2005, 10:54 PM
the oldman singing dirty limericks

"the ladies in France
wear no underpants.
and the men run around
with thier ding dongs hanging down."

KChiefsQT
06-11-2005, 10:56 PM
Hey gooood looking..whatcha got cookin howz about cooking something up for me...hhahha good old Jimmy.

Nzoner
06-11-2005, 10:58 PM
that Jaws record, and a bunch of others...Every time I hear Love Will Keep Us Togehter I recall that Jaws comedy record.

The one where the reporter would ask a question and the answer would be a snipet from a popular song.

Heh,I actually made an X-rated one of those in college for our frat and it bacame a party favorite,one example was....

ME:"So Ed tell us how did you feel the night you took part in the train and was f*ckin tammie?"

AC/DC:"Givin' The Dog A Bone,Givin'The Dog A Bone."

jspchief
06-11-2005, 10:59 PM
Ged...I couldn't stand that song. What's even worse, was all those bleepin' comedy songs that came out in the middle 70's- you remember, the Disco Duck, that Jaws record, and a bunch of others...Every time I hear Love Will Keep Us Togehter I recall that Jaws comedy record.I don't care for it either. It's just a song that brings back memories of me being a small child. It must have got a lot of radio play back in the day or something.

Skip Towne
06-11-2005, 11:05 PM
My dorky father used to sing that to me as a lullabye. Along with El Paso by Marty Robbins.
Marty Robbins was great and so was Jimmy Rodgers (Kisses sweeter than wine)

Skip Towne
06-11-2005, 11:09 PM
That's definitely a strange part of that movie. And Ross is beautiful yes. Dark features just like Wood.
You're way too young to know this stuff. How is it that you know it? Do you know who Joe Don Looney is?

Nzoner
06-11-2005, 11:09 PM
Marty Robbins was great and so was Jimmy Rodgers (Kisses sweeter than wine)

I don't know why but that just reminded of another song mom used to listen to.

"Our D-I-V-O-R-C-E became final today,"

Oh God I gotta get that outta my head.

Skip Towne
06-11-2005, 11:13 PM
I don't know why but that just reminded of another song mom used to listen to.

"Our D-I-V-O-R-C-E became final today,"

Oh God I gotta get that outta my head.
Sounds like Tammy Wynette.

FloridaChief
06-11-2005, 11:29 PM
Sounds like Tammy Wynette.

Loretta Lynn, I think...

ZepSinger
06-11-2005, 11:57 PM
Then it all changed for me when one Sunday late night I found a program called Beaker Street on my transistor radio and i heard ELP's Tocotta and The Edgar Winter Group's frankenstein for the first time.

Man, I LIVED for Beaker Street! Listened every night from 11pm- 2pm, then straight into Beaker Theater. Awesome....

Z

mlyonsd
06-12-2005, 12:03 AM
For me it was 'American Pie'.

mounged
06-12-2005, 01:18 AM
I can't remember who sang it, but was the early 60's a song called I want to go Home.

Frankie
06-12-2005, 01:37 AM
What songs are in your earliest memory?

"Mara Beboos"

:p

htismaqe
06-12-2005, 05:53 AM
probably Led Zeppelin "Kashmir"

old_geezer
06-12-2005, 06:46 AM
Born to be Wild - Steppenwolf
Country Roads - John Denver
Sitting on the Dock of the Bay - Otis Redding
Grooving - Young Rascals
Turn the Page - Bob Seger and the Sliver Bullet Band

Lord; the memories are flooding back. :)

Actually the earliest memory is listening to Rock around the Clock by Bob Haley and the Comets. My sister actually owned that record - wonder what it would be worth today? :hmmm:

4th and Long
06-12-2005, 06:55 AM

Yeah

You know I saw you
For the very first time
A pretty little thing
Standin' all alone
Hey, pretty baby
Can I take you home
I never saw ya
Never ever saw ya

Yeah, does it good, too, Let's rock
Hey

You know I saw you
For the very first time
A pretty little thing
Standin' all alone
Hey, pretty baby
Can I take you home
I never saw ya
Never ever saw ya

Ooh wow

Skip Towne
06-12-2005, 09:38 AM
Born to be Wild - Steppenwolf
Country Roads - John Denver
Sitting on the Dock of the Bay - Otis Redding
Grooving - Young Rascals
Turn the Page - Bob Seger and the Sliver Bullet Band

Lord; the memories are flooding back. :)

Actually the earliest memory is listening to Rock around the Clock by Bob Haley and the Comets. My sister actually owned that record - wonder what it would be worth today? :hmmm:
Actually his name is Bill Haley. And "Rock Around the Clock" was the first Rock 'n Roll record. I would think your sister's record would be worth a bunch.

Raiderhader
06-12-2005, 09:53 AM
My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys - Willie Nelson
Mamma's Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys - Willie and Waylon
Puff The Magic Dragon - Peter, Paul, and Mary
Mr. Bojangles - The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Swing Low, Sweet Chariots - Tradtional

My Dad use to sing these songs when we were little. I think he quit when we started getting old enough to realize that he is no Sinatra.

Raiderhader
06-12-2005, 09:56 AM
I can't remember who sang it, but was the early 60's a song called I want to go Home.

:spock: Sloop B. John? Closer To Home?

Raiderhader
06-12-2005, 10:00 AM
:spock: Sloop B. John? Closer To Home?

Damn my dyslexia....

Sloop John B

WilliamTheIrish
06-12-2005, 10:06 AM
My earliest memories are of a song by Vickie Carr. I believe it was With Pen In Hand.
She was my Dad's favorite singer. I can remember him cracking open a cold Bud and playing that scratchy album when he came home from work. Had to be '66 or '67.

Great thread, Skipper.

Bowser
06-12-2005, 10:06 AM
Heh. Another one, that Charlie Brown song.

Why's everybody always pickin' on me? :)

andoman
06-12-2005, 10:18 AM
Dark Lady - Cher
A lot of Beatles (*** best band ever ***) tunes.

ROYC75
06-12-2005, 10:42 AM
Oh Dear Lord, where to start ?

I kid you not, the radio and albums were going at such an early age. Plus filter in the fact that radio stations constantly play songs from the past, even back in the early 60's playing songs from the 50's.

Pat Boone's Love Letters, Andy William's Moon River,Big Bopper's Chantilly Lace,Ray Charle's You don't know me and many more.

Johnny Cash, Everly Brothers,Porter Wagoner & Dolly Pardon, etc. We had country, pop, and early rock and roll to listen to.

Wile_E_Coyote
06-12-2005, 11:10 AM

edit: better link: http://www.dedemstoday.com/DetroitCity.html

ChiTown
06-12-2005, 11:18 AM
BJ Thomas' "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head"

I still have a vivid memory of staying at my Uncles Cabin in the Ozarks and singing along to that song as it played in the background. I had to be 3-4 at the time.

Ari Chi3fs
06-12-2005, 11:23 AM
Im a little teapot
short and stout
here is my handle
here is my spout

when the pot is done
my whistle shouts
just tip me over
pour me out.

That is the earliest song embedded in my brain... what a raw deal I got.

ROYC75
06-12-2005, 11:35 AM
Gene Pitney's ...... Only love can break a heart ...

Nzoner
06-12-2005, 12:11 PM
I think he quit when we started getting old enough to realize that he is no Sinatra.

Speaking of Sinatra that triggered another my mom used to play all the time only it was by Nancy and called These Boots Are Made For Walkin'

ROYC75
06-12-2005, 12:23 PM
Speaking of Sinatra that triggered another my mom used to play all the time only it was by Nancy and called These Boots Are Made For Walkin'

Oh baby, I think that ws the 1st woman I had the hots for when that song came out and I seen pic's of her.

Rain Man
06-12-2005, 12:38 PM
My parents were not big on music, so they had about 4 albums, all of which were country music that didn't necessarily appeal to me. Whenever we were in the car, my mom didn't really turn the radio on, and my dad would go straight to the Grand Ol' Opry station. Therefore, my earliest memories are those old hard-core country songs.

Interestingly, my parents were big Johnny Cash fans, which I kind of made fun of. Now, at the age of 42, I've purchased a couple of Johnny Cash albums and I must say that he was ahead of his time. Good music.

Skip Towne
06-12-2005, 12:44 PM
My parents were not big on music, so they had about 4 albums, all of which were country music that didn't necessarily appeal to me. Whenever we were in the car, my mom didn't really turn the radio on, and my dad would go straight to the Grand Ol' Opry station. Therefore, my earliest memories are those old hard-core country songs.

Interestingly, my parents were big Johnny Cash fans, which I kind of made fun of. Now, at the age of 42, I've purchased a couple of Johnny Cash albums and I must say that he was ahead of his time. Good music.
You poor guy. I'll bet it was that country music that rotted your brain.

Rain Man
06-12-2005, 12:46 PM
You poor guy. I'll bet it was that country music that rotted your brain.

My therapist thinks it was all that time in the box.

Skip Towne
06-13-2005, 11:31 AM
Oh baby, I think that ws the 1st woman I had the hots for when that song came out and I seen pic's of her.
I didn't much like Sinatra but he and daughter Nancy did a duet together that was good. I think it was called "Something Stupid".