PDA

View Full Version : I'm formatting my hard drive right now. Opinions needed.

Count Alex's Losses
06-12-2005, 08:46 AM
I'm posting from a laptop. I've got an 80 GB hard drive and I'm not sure how to partition it.

I was thinking

C: - 10 GB - for OS
D: - 30 GB - for mp3s and whatnot
E: - 40 GB - for games and program files

How does that sound?

AeroSquid
06-12-2005, 09:34 AM
combine your os/games/program files into 1 50gb partition and leave the rest for storage. 10gb is too small for a main os partition and it can be a pain in the ass to install games and apps to other directories than the default C:

that's my .02 anyway.

edit: or just split it into 2 40's :p

Simplex3
06-12-2005, 10:17 AM
I tend to format an 80G as 80G. JMO. It's not like this is a server where you don't want your log files growing too large, taking up all the tmp space and crashing the box.

Count Alex's Losses
06-12-2005, 10:18 AM
Jesus.

I hit the powerstrip accidentally at the partition screen (I was plugging in something) and the computer restarted. Now the installation wants me to insert a disk from a previous OS, which of course I don't have.

So now I have to go PIRATE Windows 98. Joy.

AeroSquid
06-12-2005, 10:20 AM
why install 98? a p2 233 with 256mb of ram will run xp just fine...

Count Alex's Losses
06-12-2005, 10:22 AM
I don't have to install 98. It just wants to verify that I have a previous OS.

Thank god i just found a stoneage copy of Windows 95 to pass Microsuck's little gay test.

Simplex3
06-12-2005, 10:29 AM
I don't have to install 98. It just wants to verify that I have a previous OS.

Thank god i just found a stoneage copy of Windows 95 to pass Microsuck's little gay test.
Yeah, I had to do that just the other day when I was installing Linux.

Oh, wait, no I didn't. :)

Count Alex's Losses
06-12-2005, 10:30 AM
Yeah, I had to do that just the other day when I was installing Linux.

Oh, wait, no I didn't. :)

Yeah, let me go play Madden on Linux. Oh wait, nevermind.

htismaqe
06-12-2005, 12:26 PM
I tend to format an 80G as 80G. JMO. It's not like this is a server where you don't want your log files growing too large, taking up all the tmp space and crashing the box.

Having your data on separate partition is an absolute must for Windows. If something should happen and you need to reformat, there's nothing to backup or lose.

Mr. Laz
06-12-2005, 12:55 PM
Having your data on separate partition is an absolute must for Windows. If something should happen and you need to reformat, there's nothing to backup or lose.

yep

10 gigs IS a little small for a OS partition IMO ... i usually go 15-20

then divide up the rest like originally stated.

i also have a partition just for the swap file so that it never gets fragmented.

mine goes something like this:

OS - 15
swap - 1
Programs - 30 (of non OS variety)
images - 10
games - 60
music - 60
video - 60

2nd HD - all download/backup stuff

theultimatekcchiefsfan
06-12-2005, 05:34 PM
Yeah, let me go play Madden on Linux. Oh wait, nevermind.

ROFL :clap:

penguinz
06-13-2005, 04:51 PM
Having your data on separate partition is an absolute must for Windows. If something should happen and you need to reformat, there's nothing to backup or lose.If your drive craps out how does this help you? If you are worried about losing data it should be backed up to a media that is external to the computer.

AeroSquid
06-13-2005, 09:22 PM
If your drive craps out how does this help you? If you are worried about losing data it should be backed up to a media that is external to the computer.

it helps if you format all the time.

OldTownChief
06-14-2005, 12:38 AM
Partitioning a HD as an attempt to save form losing data is just plain STUPID. Almost as ****ing STUPID as formating a HD when you have a problem with it.

Wilson
06-14-2005, 11:48 AM
Partitioning a HD as an attempt to save form losing data is just plain STUPID. Almost as ****ing STUPID as formating a HD when you have a problem with it.

Haha, words of wisdom indeed. ROFL

AeroSquid
06-14-2005, 12:22 PM
I format every month or 2. Keeps my system fresh and fast. I have 2 74gb Raptors in RAID 0 so XP only takes 12 minutes to install.

Count Alex's Losses
06-14-2005, 05:20 PM
I format every month or 2. Keeps my system fresh and fast. I have 2 74gb Raptors in RAID 0 so XP only takes 12 minutes to install.

Haha. I went at least a year before this format.

I'll probably do it more often now though, I made an image of my hard drive after I installed, configured and installed the basic necessity programs...WHY EVER INSTALL PHOTOSHOP AGAIN? :)

Pants
06-14-2005, 05:54 PM
80 Gigs? What is this, the year 2000?

Count Alex's Losses
06-14-2005, 07:47 PM
80 Gigs? What is this, the year 2000?

I'll never need more than 64k of memory.

Nah, seriously, for the time being, I'm good at 80 gigs. Thank god for DVD burners. I don't keep any movies on the hard drive. I have about 30 gigs free right now. I'm still not done putting crap back on the drive but I only have a couple games to install.

I could buy a new hard drive if I wanted to, it would just be a waste of money right now. I don't need one.

AeroSquid
06-14-2005, 11:24 PM
Haha. I went at least a year before this format.

I'll probably do it more often now though, I made an image of my hard drive after I installed, configured and installed the basic necessity programs...WHY EVER INSTALL PHOTOSHOP AGAIN? :)

After a bunch of games have been installed/uninstalled it's easier for me to format and reinstall from my custom XP iso than clean up. I have another pc that runs all my apps so i can keep my gaming box clean.

Pants
06-14-2005, 11:32 PM
After a bunch of games have been installed/uninstalled it's easier for me to format and reinstall from my custom XP iso than clean up. I have another pc that runs all my apps so i can keep my gaming box clean.

Damn, dude.