PDA

View Full Version : Driving in Kansas City

Scaga
06-13-2005, 08:50 AM
Heading up that way Friday....pulling a 28' travel trailer behind a Yukon XL (not Phil's). Just curious to know how much construction is still happening on I435 (coming from the south)?

Phobia
06-13-2005, 08:54 AM
Heading up that way Friday....pulling a 28' travel trailer behind a Yukon XL (not Phil's). Just curious to know how much construction is still happening on I435 (coming from the south)?

As long as you get through before 8:00ish Friday night, you'll probably be alright. The Kansas people like to shut down I-35 and I-435 to 1 lane during the weekends. It's ridiculous.

BigChiefFan
06-13-2005, 09:10 AM
435 on the Missouri or Kansas side? Are you coming up from 71?

Scaga
06-13-2005, 09:15 AM
435 on the Missouri or Kansas side? Are you coming up from 71?

435 on the Missouri side.
Heading up from Augusta (which is just outside of Wichita).

I'm scared we might get up there during the $hit time and hit all that traffic. The trailer is just about the max I should pull with the wife's Yukon. I don't need a lot of white-knuckle driving.

I'm wondering if I should go up to I-70 and then go north on I435 (we're staying at the campground there at Worlds of Fun.

Phobia
06-13-2005, 09:20 AM

I'm scared we might get up there during the $hit time and hit all that traffic. The trailer is just about the max I should pull with the wife's Yukon. I don't need a lot of white-knuckle driving.

I'm wondering if I should go up to I-70 and then go north on I435 (we're staying at the campground there at Worlds of Fun.

That might be best for you. They've been putting the finishing touches on I435 (MO side) lately. My wife was detoured all over twice this weekend. However, they may be done. I have no idea.

jiveturkey
06-13-2005, 09:22 AM

I-35 is shut down at the Missouri river so you might want to take 435 E to 435 N and that will put you right at the park. I-70 will be comparible to 435 and the speed limit is a lot lower.

The construction on the MO side has been wrapped up for the most part so you should be alright. If you stay in the left hand lane heading through the triangle (still jacked up for people heading to Lee's Summit and Grandview) you should make decent time (not great, due to all of the lake f@ckers).

A lot of people have been making use of the new campground at WoF. I heard that it's the only RV park within KC city limits.

Phobia
06-13-2005, 09:28 AM
I've reconsidered. Even if you get caught in some construction related traffic, you won't be delayed more than 15-20 minutes. You should just take the most direct route. If you get caught, what can you do?

Scaga
06-13-2005, 09:31 AM
A lot of people have been making use of the new campground at WoF. I heard that it's the only RV park within KC city limits.

I have heard it is really nice. My kids want to camp rather than stay at a hotel.... $37.00 a night at the campground vs. $100+ at a hotel??? Not to mention having most all of food for the weekend instead of eating out all the time... makes it really nice. Add in all the tailgating $hit already in the camper, yet another bonus.

And, it just so happens, my wife's company here in Wichita is having a family day at WoF. Crazy SOB bought 240 tickets (plus a dinner at the park) for everyone. Free WoF and Chiefs mini-camp....almost perfect.

Baby Lee
06-13-2005, 09:33 AM
I'm sure you are aware that the 71 triangle is going through a sh!tload of construction. But passing through this weekend, they're largely concentrated on constructing the huge new [and as yet unused] concourses. The only real bidge is the transition from WB 435 to SB 71, because they have barriers erected that cut off your view of oncoming traffic as you descend onto 71 HWY.

BigChiefFan
06-13-2005, 09:36 AM
I-35 is shut down at the Missouri river so you might want to take 435 E to 435 N and that will put you right at the park. I-70 will be comparible to 435 and the speed limit is a lot lower.

The construction on the MO side has been wrapped up for the most part so you should be alright. If you stay in the left hand lane heading through the triangle (still jacked up for people heading to Lee's Summit and Grandview) you should make decent time (not great, due to all of the lake f@ckers).

Jive Turkey is like Johnny Rowlands with the traffic reporting. Good stuff! The turk nailed the best way to go-I-435 on the Missouri side is finally open for biz. Not many delays at all, the construction is finally close to complete.

jiveturkey
06-13-2005, 09:42 AM
Jive Turkey is like Johnny Rowlands with the traffic reporting. Good stuff! The turk nailed the best way to go-I-435 on the Missouri side is finally open for biz. Not many delays at all, the construction is finally close to complete.But who would win in a knife fight? :hmmm:

I'm betting that I can take Johnny.